Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2015, 14:44   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

re: VW likely to recall 300,000 cars in India due to emission scandal

Plea for ban on Volkswagen vehicles' sale: NGT notice to Centre

Pretty dangerous development for VW India. NGT is capable of draconian rulings that ARAI will never dream of!

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/49979979.cms

Last edited by itwasntme : 30th November 2015 at 14:44. Reason: Formatting
Old 30th November 2015, 16:03   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

VW Group to recall over 3,20,000 cars in India.

All diesel cars sold with EA-189 engines found fitted with illegal software. ARAI testing cars on-road to see if they flout Indian emission norms.

The affected cars include all cars powered by the EA189 diesel engine family and this is around 2,10,000 VWs, around 80,000 Skodas and over 30,000 Audis.

Quote:
Sources involved with the testing have revealed that the affected cars are emitting up to three times more NOx compared to the levels tested during the approval stage, as against 40 times in the US
Quote:
Quote:
the company’s solution for most of the engines affected by the diesel emissions scandal is the same as the one used in Europe
Quote:
Volkswagen has detailed measures that involve a software update to fix the largest 2.0-litre engines, while the midsized 1.6-litre (and the downsized 1.5-litre units for India) will require both a software update and a hardware change. The latter being a small plastic filter or a mesh that will be placed inside the engine's air intake. Volkswagen estimates that updating the software on the 2.0-litre engine will take only about half an hour while the fix for the midsized engine will take around one hour.
Quote:
The company is still working out the remedy for the 1.2-litre motor. The carmaker claims neither solution will impact engine performance or fuel economy. However, these claims are unverified as of now.
Quote:
The software used in the affected cars had been globally sourced from three suppliers. The 1.2-litre three cylinder motor, which was phased out last year in India and replaced by the 1.5-litre four-cylinder diesel engine, was fitted with software sourced from Delphi Automotive, while the current models having the larger powertrain are fitted with software provided by Bosch and Continental Automotive Systems.
Quote:
While the installation of the software is definitely illegal, the key question here is whether the affected cars violated Indian emission standards. The Automotive Research Association of India (ARAI) is conducting tests at the Vehicle Research & Development Establishment (VRDE), Ahmednagar to ascertain whether the cars' on-road emissions flouted Indian BS IV norms. In fact, ARAI might even widen the investigation to other car manufacturers as well.
Quote:
The final decision is likely to be taken after the carmaker meets the government officials on December 1, 2015.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ia-398915.aspx

Last edited by volkman10 : 30th November 2015 at 16:10.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 16:56   #108
BHPian

This long tail of "tareek pe tareek" (read: date after date) from VW and the authorities will cost VW some precious customers. I was for instance almost wanting to upgrade my TDI highline with the DSG, then the scandal broke, I waited for the facts and figures, then actions and reaction to get the direction of the wind. Then the Nov 30 deadline from NGT ARAI came in, so the decision was pushed until today. In between the EU solution came out, so things became more clear, now there is a new 23 Dec Deadline for the Ban proposal and it pushes the decision further. While I have waited more than 2 months for to see the light at the end of tunnel any further wait is testing my patience. I might not be the only one in this situation. While there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Vento TID DSG Highline (except for the cheat thing, anyways there are kerosine filled Autos spewing 10000 times more bad things than the TDI), there is no clear competition at this price band, this wait game is taking too long. I guess its time to look elsewhere.
man_and_machine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 17:29   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

I am supposed to go ahead to company to make payment for Vento TSI on the onset it seems that petrol vehicles are not impacted till now, what if NGT pushes for a blanket ban, though knowing how big VW as a brand is, it will not happen.

Just that at this price bracket there is absolutely no more fun to drive car in auto.
Old 30th November 2015, 22:59   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_and_machine View Post
I was for instance almost wanting to upgrade my TDI highline with the DSG, then the scandal broke, I waited for the facts and figures, then actions and reaction to get the direction of the wind. Then the Nov 30 deadline from NGT ARAI came in, so the decision was pushed until today. In between the EU solution came out, so things became more clear, now there is a new 23 Dec Deadline for the Ban proposal and it pushes the decision further. While I have waited more than 2 months for to see the light at the end of tunnel any further wait is testing my patience.
Well, if you are so impatient, then why not consider getting the car anyways if you have a strong desire for the TDI? The recalls will happen at its own pace and you will benefit from it OR are you worried that it won't happen sooner and you may end up with other issues? A deliberately created problem like this cannot be easily resolved in a very short time.
Old 30th November 2015, 23:09   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This long tail of "tareek pe tareek" (read: date after date) from VW and the authorities will cost VW some precious customers. I was for instance almost wanting to upgrade my TDI highline with the DSG, then the scandal broke, I waited for the facts and figures, then actions and reaction to get the direction of the wind.
To be honest VW may shut down its shops as the scandal is starting to explode. Neither Europe or US care about a collapse of such an extent. And no VW owner will take a lazy fix and will continue to drive the existing ones as is unless they are enticed to return for a refund(that includes me hehe). Unless VW says they are taking my car back and replacing with a new VW 2016 gasoline version i am not even going to be bothered to take the car to the service center for a check up let alone fix(i am out of warranty).

You reasoning to wait is actually unreasonable. You know for facts this company is unstable at this point. I am not even sure they will come out of this scandal alive without filing for bankruptcy.

You should actually look else where or be contend with probable complete downfall. There is no inbetween and thats how you need to look at this. Be ready for complete failure of VW.
Old 30th November 2015, 23:57   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
Well, if you are so impatient, then why not consider getting the car anyways if you have a strong desire for the TDI?
Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
To be honest VW may shut down its shops as the scandal is starting to explode....

You reasoning to wait is actually unreasonable. .....come out of this scandal alive without filing for bankruptcy.
Two quite extreme views on the topic, I love the forum!

Well, its not impatience or VW balance sheet that is the point. Its how untouched VW India feels on this issue. VW in not going bankrupt, remember they are introducing new vehicles world wide, in-spite of the issue (new beetle!). They have assets worth more than 100 billion, so that is really not on my mind. The issue is also not just VW, its also our administrative structure, our policies, its implementation and the network of all these put together.

It's a quagmire. While the NGT can do very brash things, it does not seem to prevent the old 3 letter registered lorries carrying earth and sand that probably run a diesel technology that are not even covered in text books. But, here we are faced with some issues of NOx that are less than .001% of the total smog created by burning farms around NCR the last few weeks, making Delhi the worst polluted city in the world ahead of Bejing.

I mean, this is such a sad state of affairs where you can't apply logic to figure out if you can plan for anything in the future. I am not VW fan boy, but there is really no right replacement for the TDI DSG. The Honda city, Ciaz, Duster/Terrano have no auto, the Verna Auto is an also ran, the rest fall in a different price bracket.

While I am not trying to build a case for the Vento, this is probably the first time in the history of our auto field that we are facing policy based log-jams and imminent delays and the speed (or the lack of it) of seeking clarifications and further clarifications on tech issues.

While the rest of the world is already looking at the solutions, we are still debating on the show causes. And VW seems in no hurry to be proactive, seems very impervious to the whole thing. I had written to the VW sales head, I guess my e-mail went into their spam list.

And its not just for India, even in the EU, their home turf, VW is not as nice to its customers as they are in the US. The 1 K $ package does not see its day of light in the EU (scale as cited as the reason, but my hunch is it not just that). I only hope that VW India does not charge labor for fixing the engines

On the other note, even out of warranty cars might need to be fixed to be legally declared road worthy I guess (no?).
man_and_machine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2015, 00:36   #113
BHPian

Quote:
To be honest VW may shut down its shops as the scandal is starting to explode.
Neither Europe or US care about a collapse of such an extent.
You know for facts this company is unstable at this point. I am not even sure they will come out of this scandal alive without filing for bankruptcy.
You should actually look else where or be contend with probable complete downfall. There is no inbetween and thats how you need to look at this. Be ready for complete failure of VW.
I have an exact opposite opinion from yours. VW is a very large conglomerate and have significant assets. Don't forget that they employ thousands of people world wide and it will be a disaster for any Govt. to shut them down. U.S is not stupid to make such a bad move. They haven't done it in the past with GM and I don't believe they will do with VW. Such moves have serious cascading repurcussions. I am sure that they will continue to survive even if it means shelling out large amounts of money in legal compensation and recalls worldwide. I am actually willing to bet that they will get past this tide and honestly, I do want them to survive for the sake of their employees atleast, if not anything else. I have heard horror stories after Kingfisher went kaput and I genuinely wish it doesn't happen with VW employees. They make great cars, but they are just arrogant in certain ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_and_machine View Post
Its how untouched VW India feels on this issue. VW in not going bankrupt, remember they are introducing new vehicles world wide, in-spite of the issue (new beetle!). They have assets worth more than 100 billion, so that is really not on my mind.
On the other note, even out of warranty cars might need to be fixed to be legally declared road worthy I guess (no?).
Of course they are, but it is clear to me they are under pressure world wide to fix and come out of this dieselgate scandal. Even if they don't get the slate absolutely clean in India, there will be fixes and remedial measures coming our way, perhaps later if not sooner. That said, I am still vocal about their ethics as a company. I still love their cars but I'd never buy one.

Last edited by sudeepg : 1st December 2015 at 00:38.
Old 1st December 2015, 08:07   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

VW executives to meet government officials over alleged emission software fraud - the outcome of which will determine whether the German automaker has to recall more than three lakh cars in the country.

An announcement is expected after the meeting.

Name:  49990962.png
Views: 1694
Size:  64.6 KB

http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...fraud/49990960

Last edited by volkman10 : 1st December 2015 at 08:08.
Old 1st December 2015, 10:06   #115
BHPian

Volkswagen's surreal fix for the affected diesels

http://europe.autonews.com/article/2...OG15/151129893

video

Last edited by vishwas : 1st December 2015 at 10:07. Reason: vid
Old 1st December 2015, 11:04   #116
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
To be honest VW may shut down its shops as the scandal is starting to explode. Neither Europe or US care about a collapse of such an extent.
Sorry to say, but that couldn't be farther from the truth. Germany will NOT let VW collapse. VW employs over 4 lakh people in Europe alone. Indirectly at suppliers, it probably employs 5 times that number. The economic damage from VW's collapse will be colossal to Germany / Europe. Globally, perhaps 3 - 4 million people depend on VW for their livelihood.

There's a reason why the USA Government stepped in to save General Motors. Since, the company has returned back to profitability.

Not to forget, VW has a cash surplus. Let's not go further off-topic on this thread. We can continue on the global VW thread to discuss Europe etc.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st December 2015, 14:06   #117
BHPian

Re: VW likely to recall 300,000 cars in India due to emission scandal

I think at the most VW may shut their shop in US and continue with their business in EUROPE and rest of the world . US has never been big market for Diesel and Europe seems to think other ways . VW will survive this and come clean in 5 years of time. With respect to VW India i am not sure what the plans are , Since compact VW sedan is announced for first half of 2016 i think they are continuing with India plans .Just amuses how people still like VW cars as many of you said if "At this price bracket there is no other car which is better to drive or there is no other better automatic car and build quality is impeccable" . If this big scandal was for any other brand in India i think their cars would have not have survived in India and here we still have people contemplating to buy VW TSI or TDI

Last edited by csnanjappa : 1st December 2015 at 14:08.
Old 1st December 2015, 18:45   #118
BHPian

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/49998862.cms

The company will voluntarily recall 3.23 lakh vehicles which have been fitted with the E189 engines that are equipped with defeat device," a senior government official said.

A meeting was held between the company executives and officials of the department of heavy industries on Tuesday after the submission of report by apex automotive testing agency ARAI.
Old 1st December 2015, 18:50   #119
Senior - BHPian

Meanwhile, somewhere in France...

Guerrilla marketing at its best!
Attached Images

Last edited by 9thsphinx : 1st December 2015 at 18:52.
9thsphinx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2015, 21:25   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

VW India recalls 198,500 diesel cars. A total of 323,700 cars from the VAG group are affected in this recall.

The recall will encompass cars from the Volkswagen, Audi and Skoda model range which carry the software that requires to be updated.

Quote:
As per the records of Volkswagen Group India, from 2008 till end of November 2015, approximately 198,500 cars from Volkswagen, 88,700 cars from Skoda and 36,500 cars from Audi across various models sold in India have been equipped with the EA 189 engines which include 1.2-litre, 1.5-litre, 1.6-litre and 2.0-litre diesel engines.
All the owners of vehicles with EA 189 engines will be informed by Volkswagen Group India through the respective brands about the technical measures that will be implemented in their cars.

http://motoroctane.com/news/21817-vw...500diesel-cars

Last edited by volkman10 : 1st December 2015 at 21:29.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed