Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2015, 06:55   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirag08 View Post
The swift should be discontinued now and the Baleno should be the replacement. They have milked the design enough. They should let it rest now.
Which company in the world will discontinue one of its largest selling and most successful model and that too when people are happily lapping it up. As far as baleno is concerned, it is still in untested waters and will be placed at a premium to swift and moreover it will be sold through nexa having a limited reach.
In nutshell both shall continue and address different segments.
Old 5th October 2015, 09:09   #32
BHPian

re: Maruti launches the loud & garish Swift Glory (limited edition)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik hill View Post
Which company in the world will discontinue one of its largest selling and most successful model and that too when people are happily lapping it up.
Toyota did it with the Qualis when they introduced the Innova.

I too think that it may be a good idea to discontinue swift if they are serious about Baleno's success.
Old 5th October 2015, 10:53   #33
BHPian

We can't really blame MS for this. I've seen quite a lot of cars modified to the point of insanity at the local mod shops. Altos, WagonRs, Swifts and so many more cars with such funky decals and skirts are surprisingly common. People buy a white base model and have it fitted with the skirts, blacken the c pillars, plonk in an audio, seat covers and God knows what else. MS can do all this and collect the money themselves. And its only a 'limited edition'. Those who want it can go for it. I believe the people who came up with this are indeed smart!
Old 5th October 2015, 11:13   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyu View Post

I too think that it may be a good idea to discontinue swift if they are serious about Baleno's success.
If MS is serious about baleno's success, they should tap the wide MS network. Instead they are planning to make it available exclusively on the Nexa outlets. That itself would restrict the reach of the car, irrespective of how much the car may be liked and wanted by the prospective customers.

Discontinuing Swift is equal to digging its own grave for Maruti. It would only make it easy for Hyundai to reach the No.1 spot soon!
Old 5th October 2015, 11:14   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

If an airbag could be plated in gold, and stuck on the roof, shaped like a tiger, and embossed with the owners favourite photo with his dog, maruti would have done it, and people would have queued to lap it up.
Unfortunately, the airbag is hidden, it'll save your life, but only ONCE( for shame), and nobody can see it for bling, brah! And anyway, this is what most people do AFTER they buy a swift, so why not capitalize in the name of OE, yeah.
Glory be.
mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2015, 11:15   #36
BHPian

It would have looked way better sans the decals. What's with all the Limited Editions? First the Swift RS, then Windsong and now this. Instead they could've got us Swift Sport. Swift is a handsome looking car and these gaudy and distasteful decals are only ruining its appeal. Maruti loyalists will buy anything which is sold at their dealership. Just has to have Maruti badge on it!
Old 5th October 2015, 12:12   #37
Mik
BHPian

Ah well! Another contraption we will have to get used to seeing around the roads no matter how much scorn it gets from team-bhpians.
I was only slightly offended by the RS Sport edition and mildly amused by WindSong. But this, is like RS hooked up with the WindSong on a hot weather night in one of Gurgaon's thekas (drinking spots) and partied away to GLORY!
Mik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2015, 12:19   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
If MS is serious about baleno's success, they should tap the wide MS network. Instead they are planning to make it available exclusively on the Nexa outlets. That itself would restrict the reach of the car, irrespective of how much the car may be liked and wanted by the prospective customers.

Discontinuing Swift is equal to digging its own grave for Maruti. It would only make it easy for Hyundai to reach the No.1 spot soon!
Maruti Suzuki digging its own grave is I think a little far-fetched. They still have strong products in Alto, Dzire, WagonR, Ciaz, Celerio, even the Omni that bring in huge numbers every single month. I doubt if discontinuing Swift will make it lose the coveted no.1. It can cause a dent in the sales in the short term but I strongly believe that will be only temporary - till Baleno stabilizes. I remember them doing something similar when Alto was first introduced. I think they stopped selling the 800 which was doing exceedingly well at that time.

I agree with you that Baleno should be made available through the traditional outlets as well and not just the Nexa showrooms, more so if they consider the car a replacement for Swift.

All that said, I don't think the company is contemplating discontinuation of Swift. At least, I haven't heard any rumors thus far, even the faintest of them.

Cheers
Old 5th October 2015, 12:42   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyu View Post

All that said, I don't think the company is contemplating discontinuation of Swift. At least, I haven't heard any rumors thus far, even the faintest of them.
B2 segment is already crowded, with Hyundai leading the pack with Grand i10 and i20 - about 21K units in August. Maruti comes second with Swift + Ritz - about 18K units. Maruti, so far has not managed any good sales footprint in 10 lakh above price bracket - except Ciaz & S-Cross of course. So, it should re-ascertain its stronghold in A, B1, B2 and C1 segments, whenever competition stiffens. Maruti in my opinion is trying to fill the B2 gap, by adding the Baleno hatchback, and introducing several limited editions (Windsong, Glory for Swift).

Similarly it should also address the Kwid competition in Alto price bracket, as well as any B1 competition that can possibly come from Tata Kite, new Chevy Beat etc.

800's withdrawal was due to BS IV norms. It still continued selling 800 in BS III cities for a few more years.
hybridpetrol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2015, 12:48   #40
Senior - BHPian

I vote for this Limited Edition to officially be the worst Limited Edition Car by Maruti.

Desperate measures are indicating pressure on Maruti. Kwid threatening Alto / Wagon R, Hyundai threatening B Segment and C segment being traditionally weak.

Maruti will go down hill from here is what I predict.
Old 5th October 2015, 13:29   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
B2 segment is already crowded, with Hyundai leading the pack with Grand i10 and i20 - about 21K units in August. Maruti comes second with Swift + Ritz - about 18K units. Maruti, so far has not managed any good sales footprint in 10 lakh above price bracket - except Ciaz & S-Cross of course. So, it should re-ascertain its stronghold in A, B1, B2 and C1 segments, whenever competition stiffens. Maruti in my opinion is trying to fill the B2 gap, by adding the Baleno hatchback, and introducing several limited editions (Windsong, Glory for Swift).

Similarly it should also address the Kwid competition in Alto price bracket, as well as any B1 competition that can possibly come from Tata Kite, new Chevy Beat etc.

800's withdrawal was due to BS IV norms. It still continued selling 800 in BS III cities for a few more years.
Agree with all your points. But my thinking is that Baleno will eat into Swift sales and not i20. I have no doubt that the Hyundai car will continue doing its numbers unaffected. The story may turn out to be very similar to what's currently happening with the Jazz and the City, though they belong to hugely different segments. Potential City buyers are now picking up the Jazz.

That's my reasoning behind suggesting that Swift be discontinued. Maruti Suzuki loyalists are known to look into their own stable for an alternate product. Baleno will be their answer. Its not going to be easy to pull them to Hyundai.

I am quite excited about the Kwid. Will be closely following it. May pick it up for my wife in the future. Not so keen on Tata Kite. I fear it may go the Bolt way. They are trying to grab eyeballs though - Messi is going to be the Kite's brand ambassador!
Old 5th October 2015, 15:28   #42
BHPian

The car looks good to see (though overdone) but to drive it day in and day out, that’s another thought altogether.

Agree to the safe and sporty swift but just from MS marketing perspective –

• MS is not going to discontinue swift. It is still a car which the masses can pick up blindly and are picking up. Make hay while the sun shines and why kill the golden goose
  • These LE – can satisfy the people who like to do mod jobs, we can see numerous such cars on road. Even if it fails to sell it will still bring in more people to the showroom
  • These are options for the customers, ultimately to each his own but yes if such things sells the probability of getting performance swift goes down further

Also, I didn’t see it mentioned that MS is charging more for this LE (did I miss it?). Either they are getting off old stock with it or just creating new interest in this car. The bread seems buttered on both sides
Old 5th October 2015, 16:13   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
I vote for this Limited Edition to officially be the worst Limited Edition Car by Maruti.
Completely disagree! The worst LE for Maruti is the Alto800 Onam Edition with the "racing boat inspired" tissue box! Beat that!
GeneralJazz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2015, 00:14   #44
BHPian

Re: Maruti launches the loud & garish Swift Glory (limited edition)

Great ! now all MSIL needs to give are optional stickers like "Crazy Boy" "Hit Man" "Baadshah" and "Chaloo Cheeze" and a couple of black rain visors then this car would fit perfectly in Gurgaon. Honestly, I think Gurgaon is the sole reason this contraption on four wheels exists. The market is there members, MSIL is just filling the gap [satire]

Last edited by RocketRaccoon : 6th October 2015 at 00:16. Reason: Grammar correction
Old 6th October 2015, 00:20   #45
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti launches the loud & garish Swift Glory (limited edition)

Enough has already been said of the exterior looks and I agree, but does nobody here think that the interiors in this edition are nice ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks