Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2015, 18:07   #31
BHPian

Re: Honda recalls 2.2 lakh cars (CR-V, Civic, City, Jazz) in India over faulty airbags

Great! I checked for my 2010 City yesterday, it said vehicle not effected.

Checked today and it says driver side airbag replacement is applicable on your vehicle. Shared my details with them dealer will contact me post 12th October.
Attached Images

Y@SH is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2015, 18:58   #32
BHPian

Re: Honda recalls 2.2 lakh cars (CR-V, Civic, City, Jazz) in India over faulty airbags

Yes we can give credit to Honda and many others for this.

But really is this how we should think, how about

1. If an owner would have died because of accident and non working of airbags? (believe another member also raised this)

2. Will there be any compensation for the false sense of security which the owner had?

3. Paid extra for life safety, should Honda give interest for the premium paid for airbags , considering it the extra amount never gave the clients what they paid for.

4. Whom to trust and whom not and what to trust and what not? Am i better off buying a car sans airbag at least i will know what i have got into?

In either ways the mind can not be at peace and one can just hope to get the right product for the price paid
Old 19th September 2015, 19:04   #33
BHPian

This is what I got for a september '12 honda city vmt. But looking a how the status has changed for a few other members, I'll check again tomorrow to see if the status changes and give you guys an update.Honda recalls 2.2 lakh cars (CR-V, Civic, City, Jazz) in India over faulty airbags-studio_20150919_185808.jpg
Old 19th September 2015, 19:20   #34
BHPian

Like some of the fellow BHPians, I too had got a "not covered under the program" notification when I checked yesterday. However, after reading here that status has changed for a few, I too logged back into the Honda website and noted that my Feb2010 City is included in the Driver Side Airbag Inflator recall program. Fingers crossed on a smooth procedure. Will update more after speaking to my dealer.
Old 19th September 2015, 20:38   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Honda has recalled 2,23,578 vehicle in India to carry out replacement of faulty airbags. The models affected include the CR-V, Civic, City and Jazz..
Takata as a component supplier should be banned specially when the airbag issue is hitting them and subsequently its customers hard left right and centre.

Why are the japs in India not switching to other reputed manufacturers?

Nikhil
Old 19th September 2015, 21:27   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

It is a complete grey area as to what exactly is the problem? Is it so that the airbags won't deploy at all or any other issue? Is the typical excuse that manufacturers give that 'you did not crash the car properly so the airbags did not deploy' a result of brushing this fact and the subsequent recall under the carpet? I'll be very worried about this. Also, wouldn't other brands be also affected? Will we see more recalls from other manufacturers? And is it phase-II of the same Takata issue?
A lot of unanswered questions as of now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsbhagwat View Post
Takata as a component supplier should be banned specially when the airbag issue is hitting them and subsequently its customers hard left right and centre.

Why are the japs in India not switching to other reputed manufacturers?

Nikhil
Takata is not only a vendor to Japanese manufacturers. It is one of the largest manufacturer of airbags and an OEM supplier to German brands like Audi and BMW across the globe.

Regards.

Last edited by saket77 : 19th September 2015 at 21:55.
Old 20th September 2015, 00:36   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Is this related to the Takata issue?

Recalls should always be appreciated IMO. Honda could have chosen to keep quiet on the matter - avoiding such bad publicity and press. However, they have chosen the right choice with a recall.

Recalled parts are usually mistakes made by vendors. Honda is not entirely to blame here. By the sheer number of cars involved- I think it might be related to the Takata issue.
I am completely with you man. You said it.

Recall is never a bad thing. It means that the company has accepted the fault and is ready to own it (at least in India where you can get away with any kind of problems with something that you sell). This will also mean that they will make sure such things don't happen again as it involves a lot of money and time to correct the problems. So they may indulge in better QC perhaps ! Good for Honda, good for customers. I will never give bad publicity to someone who willingly recalls his products. That shows he is serious about his market and his customers. That is just how I think about the whole recall thingy.
DieselAddikt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2015, 00:47   #38
BHPian

There definitely was an bug yesterday. Today my car shows under this recall while yesterday it didn't. :-x
Have given my details and they'll contact after 12-oct as they say. Honda recalls 2.2 lakh cars (CR-V, Civic, City, Jazz) in India over faulty airbags-imageuploadedbyteambhp1442690261.812322.jpg
Old 20th September 2015, 02:08   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Recalls should always be appreciated IMO. Honda could have chosen to keep quiet on the matter - avoiding such bad publicity and press. However, they have chosen the right choice with a recall.

Recalled parts are usually mistakes made by vendors. Honda is not entirely to blame here. By the sheer number of cars involved- I think it might be related to the Takata issue.
34 million vehicles in the USA alone. 24 car brands worldwide. Its not a small amount. Fair play Honda? Honda and Takata allegedly knew of this faulty airbag right from 2004. There have been deaths, injuries and evidence of a massive coverup from the NHTSA - National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/honda-t...irbag-recalls/

But to give them the benefit of doubt, I think Takata should be blamed as the affected party werent Honda alone. But Honda, being Honda, should have done better than that. No denying that.
VaidhiR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2015, 08:57   #40
BHPian

I checked for my City (March 2012 manufactured) yesterday and again today. Still says
"Product update in your vehicle is not applicable."
Old 20th September 2015, 09:37   #41
BHPian

Please keep checking a few times on the site. I bet that my car showed up affected earlier but today morning it shows affected for driver side airbag inflator replacement.

The recall is applicable on very large number of cars. So i guess that most Hondas sold around that time will have to be taken in.

Now lets hope they do an excellent job. If my memory serves me right they had a recall regarging some engine related thing for my 2010 Honda city as well, about 3-4 years back. That job was done well and i could not make out any performance difference.

Last edited by GTO : 21st September 2015 at 12:32. Reason: Please use punctuation properly!
manishkapadia is offline   Received Infraction
Old 20th September 2015, 14:52   #42
BHPian

I checked for my Honda City 2012, and the website said, "Product update in your vehicle is not applicable".

Question is that, do all year 2012 manufactured Honda Citys' are given the website message 'not applicable' ?

I also worry about the updates at times like these, as no matter how 'perfect' the job done is, it may never be the same as 'originally factory fitted'. Of course if it is a safety item replacement, customer does not have much choice, but all the same, I feel it will not be the same 'finish' as factory fitted.
Old 20th September 2015, 19:51   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotracks View Post
I checked for my Honda City 2012, and the website said, "Product update in your vehicle is not applicable".

Question is that, do all year 2012 manufactured Honda Citys' are given the website message 'not applicable' ?
Even mine is a 2012 Honda City iVtec. Checked online and the website said, my car is not applicable. I am not sure if this is a way to divert too much of crowd. After all it is 2.23+lacs of vehicles. Handling all of them at a time is a mammoth task. Whats unnerving is the fact that my car has Takata airbags and I am unsure of its effectiveness. Yes, we need to keep checking every day.

Last edited by keeprevving : 20th September 2015 at 19:52.
Old 21st September 2015, 09:54   #44
BHPian

I have a 2011 Honda City. When I checked on Sat morning, it said not applicable. When I re-checked this morning, it said driver side airbag update is applicable (rechecked thanks to post on this forum).

Now this makes me wonder: Why only driver side aribag. While manufacturing the car and fitting both airbags presumable on the same day, are they saying they used an airbag from different vendor/batches on driver and passenger sides. So the driver side is defective, passenger side is not?

Last edited by Bh.P : 21st September 2015 at 09:58.
Old 21st September 2015, 10:11   #45
BHPian

June 2010 Honda Civic, recall applicable for driver side airbag.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks