Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2015, 00:54   #91
BHPian

Re: August 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post

Jazz:
Saw the first Jazz in Mumbai today since its launch almost 3-4 months back.
Am surprised that it has clocked 5K sales.
Is it not being driven by the metros then?

I second that, have seen hardly 1/2 Jazz in Hyderabad and none in Kolkata inspite of it being around for 2/3 months.
Guess the new cars are not being brought out in the rain.

The sales figures are as expected, no surprises. I so wished Lodgy did some tricks for Renault.
BTW whats with Bolero, it's going down down down!!

VW should bring in some new hatches. The POLO though looks timeless has been there for long.

Last edited by saion666 : 17th September 2015 at 00:57.
Old 17th September 2015, 04:55   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
I am checking the monthly sales thread after a loong time and my jaws dropped to see that antique box called Wagon R is still selling close to 15000 copies per month!. We Indians are sure crazy about Maruti.
What would you say then about the Omni and Eeco selling 12500 units per month? Amazing how popular these breadboxes are in the rural UV segment... Which really makes me wonder what would happen if an intelligent carmaker comes up with a safe, comfortable and reasonably specced van/UV under5 lakh. There's a huge vaccum in the UV segment below the Ertiga and the only maker that's taken advantage of it so far is Datsun! (Go+)
Old 17th September 2015, 08:12   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitanRex View Post
What would you say then about the Omni and Eeco selling 12500 units per month? Amazing how popular these breadboxes are in the rural UV segment... Which really makes me wonder what would happen if an intelligent carmaker comes up with a safe, comfortable and reasonably specced van/UV under5 lakh. There's a huge vaccum in the UV segment below the Ertiga and the only maker that's taken advantage of it so far is Datsun! (Go+)

No intelligent car maker will be able to penetrate this market at the moment. To garner that kind of sale they should have a great dealer and service network in rural India. Maruti has done just this over the years and have gained a reputation. I guess that it will be hard to even reach such proportions for any other manufacturer including Hyundai.
Old 17th September 2015, 08:45   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron:) View Post
Hyundai
Hyundai knows and understands the Indian car market, and their sales figures are a clear reflection of that fact. The Creta is a super hit, and the i10/i20 duo is doing great.
But I'd rather have my Grand i10 with a stronger bodyshell rather than with a cooled glovebox and rear ac vents.
I think Hyundai understood the Indian car market but now their research looks like it's outdated

1) Why no automatic i20? Their research says that these will not sell much but Jazz and Polo TSI have been proving this wrong. Of course a 4 speed torque converter will not sell, you need something more modern like the CVT or DCT

2) why is there a constant drop in features? Take a look at the previous generation and current generation i20 for example, 6 Airbags, rear disc brake, day time running lights, auto wipers are all gone. Look at Creta, no steering reach, the variants below the top end lack a lot of features including Airbags.

The hyundai cars sell due to looks and features. I hope they realize this

PS: these are general observations and I have nothing against the brand, I have myself owned two hyundais in the last 11 years

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 17th September 2015 at 14:23. Reason: Fixing quotes.
Satishtv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2015, 13:54   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
No intelligent car maker will be able to penetrate this market at the moment. To garner that kind of sale they should have a great dealer and service network in rural India. Maruti has done just this over the years and have gained a reputation. I guess that it will be hard to even reach such proportions for any other manufacturer including Hyundai.
That's the exact thing Maruti is enjoying while trying to penetrate premium hatch / sedan segment. Though it would take time & persistent efforts for others, TATA had a chance, may be they still have, but their attitude / culture of company killing their reach. Hyundai probably won't concentrate on rural segment due to their lessons on EON.

Though it may not be relevant to cite the example of Daimler Trucks here, but their strategy has a similar understanding of our market. They joined hands with Hero just for only one reason, to leverage Hero's presence in nook & corner of Indian market. Even though Hero walked out, they stood firm to design & produce trucks for India with R&D right here in India. By sales, Bharat Benz Trucks are a decent performing product range when compared to other OEMs. We never heard such a bold & firm strategy being talked about by any other car manufacturer in India, particularly by foreign origin OEMs. Halfhearted attempts only erodes their image even further, ex: Chevy Sail Twins, Datsun GO! It will be interesting to see how Renault Kwid performs!!
Old 17th September 2015, 14:10   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Agreed but I'm not sure all the sales of Eon and Omni come from the rural market only. I'm sure there is a segment of urban population which wants a car which can carry 6 people and yet be priced below 5 lakh.. Look at the Go+'s numbers - it's sold more than its hatch version and more than any other product in the entire group barring the Duster. If Datsun can get such numbers with such a limited product I guess someone like Tata can get at least 2000+ sales if they build a decent product
Old 17th September 2015, 14:28   #97
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron:);
Mahindra
Except for the XUV500 and Bolero, their line up is full of laggards. The upcoming TUV300 is one to watch out for.
You forgot Scorpio?

Would be interesting to know the split of sales between TUV & Bolero.
Old 17th September 2015, 14:53   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbertramps View Post
Cruze needs an update or does it have an update in North America atleast !
An updated Cruize was recently displayed and it looks gorgeous. It will only arrive in India next year though.
Old 17th September 2015, 15:13   #99
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
An updated Cruize was recently displayed and it looks gorgeous. It will only arrive in India next year though.
Gorgeous = Elantra'ish!

There is no particular USP for the new Cruze except for the fluidic-inspired looks which is almost similar to the Elantra. And with the new Elantra coming in during the same time, I dont think it will have a major impact on Chevrolet sales.

The old one had revolutionary design and a cracker of a diesel engine as selling points.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2015, 15:16   #100
Senior - BHPian

With the Baleno launch round the corner I expect sales of the I20 and Jazz to take a hit. Hyundai has pretty much had this segment to itself ( after all they created it) without any significant competition ( Swift is a tad smaller and a much older model). MSIL would be targetting to sell 10000 copies consistenly. Unless the market explodes, the existing players will lose market share.

The fact that MSIL will sell the Baleno only thru the Nexa outlets would give some relief to Hyundai and Honda. MSIL on the other hand is working overtime to ramp up the Nexa outlets.
Old 17th September 2015, 15:30   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
MSIL would be targeting to sell 10000 copies consistently.
Even more! It will eat up sales of i20, Jazz, Swift and Dzire. All of this depends on the pricing. If they are able to price it around i20 or slightly below, its a sure shot winner.
Old 17th September 2015, 15:53   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
With the Baleno launch round the corner I expect sales of the I20 and Jazz to take a hit...MSIL would be targetting to sell 10000 copies consistenly. Unless the market explodes, the existing players will lose market share.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post
Even more! It will eat up sales of i20, Jazz, Swift and Dzire. All of this depends on the pricing. If they are able to price it around i20 or slightly below, its a sure shot winner.
Don't underestimate the Hyundai Marketing department. They keep a hawk's eye on their competition, specially Maruti. And they react very quickly. I believe they will respond to Baleno's launch by launching an i20 automatic variant with a 6-speed TC (like in Creta). They will also add features like rear disc brakes, automatic rain-sensing wipers, etc, depending on the number and type of features that Baleno comes out with.
catchjyoti is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2015, 16:18   #103
BHPian

Despite the anticipated Ecosport facelift and Creta onslaught, the Ecosport numbers are quite steady. I have a feeling that Ford is going to churn up the market in the coming one year.

S Cross sales will taper down to 2-3k per month. As far as Baleno is concerned, the gut feeling is that it will be a Dud.

Hyundai will have to bow to the market pressure and price its products more reasonably.
Old 17th September 2015, 17:41   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpkbehera View Post
Despite the anticipated Ecosport facelift and Creta onslaught, the Ecosport numbers are quite steady. I have a feeling that Ford is going to churn up the market in the coming one year.

S Cross sales will taper down to 2-3k per month. As far as Baleno is concerned, the gut feeling is that it will be a Dud.

Hyundai will have to bow to the market pressure and price its products more reasonably.

Eco Sport is priced much lower than the Creta and the SCross 1.6 Litre variants. Since Eco Sport attracts a lower excise duty ( sub 4 m) they can afford to do so and still make money.I believe that MSIL will have the hybrid S Cross variants out in some time to take advantage of the tax benefits on Hybrids. They will try to get much higher numbers and will not be happy with 2-3 K. The Nexa outlets are selling just the S Cross as of now . 3000 Units would translate to just 50 units per outlet ( for 60 outlets). While the Baleno will be joining the S Cross shortly, the success of Nexa depends on both Baleno and S Cross selling well.

Baleno may not be an out and out blockbuster, but even Maruti Duds outsell the bestsellers from all other manufacturers except HYundai. I personally feel that Baleno will sell in reasonably high numbers. At 3995 mm, the Baleno will be taxed as a small car unlke the S Cross or the Ciaz ( the Ciaz Hybrid is not getting that benefit due to lower taxes and subsidy on hybrids)
Old 17th September 2015, 18:19   #105
BANNED

Thanks for this useful information.

Please tell me:
1. Does Alto include both the 800 and 1000 cc's? What is the split within this?

2. Do you have export data with this similar split across manufacturers? This September india exported 4 lakh cars as per the customs data. But it does not show who sent what.

3. In the line graphs it's very hard to tell the various blues from each other. Please use other colors or make it a bar chart. Or just show the data in a table.

FYI India is now the worlds 2nd biggest exporter of cars in the world. That's right just after Japan. From this year, Mexico is our largest customer. Followed by South Africa and Chile.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks