Attached Thumbnails
2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look-img20151220wa0046.jpg  

2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look-img20151220wa0044-1.jpg  

Old 24th December 2015, 20:29   #242
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheep007 View Post
Its not welded to the body as per say, bolted on by nuts n bolts. I asked him personally on phone, takes 3 days for the job. Toughned Glass is fitted on where the see through plastic is on soft top. Looks promising, I must say.
You can try Revheads in chandigarh as well.
They are doing a good job with semi hard tops.
And yes, the moga one isn't welded to the frame.
Here are two jobs by Revheads chandigarh.
They charge 35K for it.

PS: I am not associated with them.
Attached Thumbnails
2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look-12118837_867198366705054_2279547345834475070_n.jpg  

2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look-11139987_867210970037127_5572476390285422138_n.jpg  

2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look-12189775_874994222592135_2218923080971877873_n.jpg  

2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look-12189807_874994665925424_3471312630314593072_n.jpg  

Last edited by akshay4587 : 24th December 2015 at 20:32.
akshay4587 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 20:39   #243
BHPian

By the way, went to Renuka Lake yesterday n did some offroading, also went downhill to a hill stream n took thar into water and did some 4x4 in high n low gear ratios, loved it !! But as i was getting out some white smoke came out for a minute or two, maybe some water touched some sensor, now this sucks, water was not even half tire deep, a vehicle meant to offroad should be better equipped to handle water !! I uploaded a picture so you can see the depth of water
Attached Thumbnails
2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look-dsc03778.jpg  

maheep007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 20:43   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
You can try Revheads in chandigarh as well.
They are doing a good job with semi hard tops.
And yes, the moga one isn't welded to the frame.
Here are two jobs by Revheads chandigarh.
They charge 35K for it.

PS: I am not associated with them.
I think Moga guy does a better job as the whole back door opens just like Bolero, the whole door from top to bottom, central locking works on it too, this one not bad too, but out of the two, definitely Moga! And i too am not associated with any, lol
Old 25th December 2015, 11:41   #245
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh544 View Post
1. Your dhatings are being tried and into month 2 of the vehicle, i think 32 PSI is the way to go. I am getting additional bounce at 34 PSI. With 32 PSI the Thar feels planted & firm. 2. I am a bit apprehensive about getting the A & B pillars cut, do you think it will have any impact. Thanks !
Dear KSingh544 - hello to you. My reply is as follows:

1. I am happy to see that one of my dhatings has helped you. It is you, who must come to a final understanding of your own vehicle's tire pressure. You have achieved "planted and firm", you must also achieve snap-shot single and double lance changes. It is very much possible. The production Bridgestone tires compliment this chassis very nicely.
2. DO NOT DO ANYTHING TO THE A AND B PILLARS AND THE TARGA BAND! There is something called "torsional rigidity" / "section modulus", which many people do not know, those who know do not want to understand and acknowledge because then they cannot run up huge bills for activities that they conduct on production vehicles. I am very clear on this. Do you even know that there is sealant treatment specified in the drawing for the threads of the 4 bolts which hold the targa band to the body? Oh come on now! This calls for a smiley, my dear Sir! QED! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2015, 16:09   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear KSingh544 - hello to you. My reply is as follows:

1. I am happy to see that one of my dhatings has helped you. It is you, who must come to a final understanding of your own vehicle's tire pressure. You have achieved "planted and firm", you must also achieve snap-shot single and double lance changes. It is very much possible. The production Bridgestone tires compliment this chassis very nicely.
2. DO NOT DO ANYTHING TO THE A AND B PILLARS AND THE TARGA BAND! There is something called "torsional rigidity" / "section modulus", which many people do not know, those who know do not want to understand and acknowledge because then they cannot run up huge bills for activities that they conduct on production vehicles. I am very clear on this. Do you even know that there is sealant treatment specified in the drawing for the threads of the 4 bolts which hold the targa band to the body? Oh come on now! This calls for a smiley, my dear Sir! QED! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Sir a merry Christmas to you. And thank you for your emphatic NO with regards to messing with the A & B pillars. That rules out the PA Noida Hardtop immediately and makes my life simpler

I don't have much technical knowledge about the structure etc hence was chasing yo down for your thoughts on the same

Thanks again. And will be in touch with regards to further dhatings.

Cheers

Kundan.
Old 25th December 2015, 20:16   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Asingh, as i mentioned above the choices are PA Noida, Azad 4x4 and Hyderabad HT. PA Noida leading the race but my apprehension is about getting the A & B pillars slightly cut (2 inches). Though Mr Poddy has assured me it has no impact on the load bearing of the pillars. Your thoughts on this matter?
You choices are well researched out..! Though I would not be comfortable cutting pieces off the integral support framework. And I think, you got a good answer from the best knowledge center here: pertinent to the Thar...! Though I do not own a Thar, but see quite a few here in GGN. To be honest the soft top still looks the best. Due to safety and noise, it is obvious why people convert to a hard top. The deal would be: find a hard top with a soft top look..! Options..options.

Oh, and Merry X-Mas.
Old 25th December 2015, 22:06   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
You choices are well researched out..! Though I would not be comfortable cutting pieces off the integral support framework. And I think, you got a good answer from the best knowledge center here: pertinent to the Thar...! Though I do not own a Thar, but see quite a few here in GGN. To be honest the soft top still looks the best. Due to safety and noise, it is obvious why people convert to a hard top. The deal would be: find a hard top with a soft top look..! Options..options.

Oh, and Merry X-Mas.
Merry Christmas to you too

And I agree the soft top with insulation is the best option. Let's see between the Moga vendor and Chandigarh maybe something comes up. There is just too much noise otherwise.
Ksingh544 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2015, 09:48   #249
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for your emphatic NO with regards to messing with the A & B pillars. This makes my life simple. I will be in touch with regards to further dhatings.
Dear Kundan - it is my pleasure to be able to help you. It is quite possible that there will be resentment due to my direction to you. I will only tell you to do what is correct, so I hope that people will understand.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2015, 18:14   #250
BHPian

Got the first service done today, was supposed to be done @ 5000 km but got it done @ 1700 km only, as I've always believed that first service is very crucial as max wear n tear during the new engine settling in happens during these few initial hundred/thousand kilometers, maybe I'm outdated, Behram Ji can correct me here, as an expert, if this is incorrect for modern engines. Anyway, surprised to know air filter of Thar is oil based, asked the mechanic to clean the filter by compressed air taking it to be dry type, was infirmed and shown by him its an oil based. Can't clean it, just to be replaced at 40k km or 20 in dusty conditions. Any thoughts?

Last edited by maheep007 : 28th December 2015 at 18:16.
Old 29th December 2015, 10:47   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheep007 View Post
Got the first service done today, was supposed to be done @ 5000 km but got it done @ 1700 km only, as I've always believed that first service is very crucial as max wear n tear during the new engine settling in happens during these few initial hundred/thousand kilometers, maybe I'm outdated, Behram Ji can correct me here, as an expert, if this is incorrect for modern engines. Anyway, surprised to know air filter of Thar is oil based, asked the mechanic to clean the filter by compressed air taking it to be dry type, was infirmed and shown by him its an oil based. Can't clean it, just to be replaced at 40k km or 20 in dusty conditions. Any thoughts?
Hi Maheep,

thats a fairly early service for your Thar. Did any major repair or part replacement happen?

Also how far is Moga from Ludhiana? I was thinking on my drive back to Jammu next week i might swing by Moga to checkout the semi hardtop vendor

thanks

Kundan
Ksingh544 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2015, 17:43   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Johy i checked out a few hard tops in Delhi. right now my choices are between the PA, Noida HT & Azaad 4x4 top. The Hyderabad HT i havent seen in person yet. The PA HT is really nice and their relationship with M&M inspires confidence but they need to cut a bit of the A&B bars. What are your thoughts on this ?
Sorry for the delayed reply. I was travelling and did not have access to team-bhp. Even I have been thinking of the hard top options, although nothing really comes close to the soft top look. I would recommend maintaining the soft top as long as possible.

I think the Bimbra ones (version 2.0) look quite nifty. I am not a bit fan of others (as of now). Performance Auto, well the last time I checked their website, it was either down or non-existent. What relationship do they have with M&M actually? Cutting the pillars becomes a permanent thing, that is the problem. Do let me know how your plans go.

Cheers!
Old 29th December 2015, 18:06   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
DO NOT DO ANYTHING TO THE A AND B PILLARS AND THE TARGA BAND!
Behram Dhabhar
Shouldn't the Targa band actually be a channel/box?

Last edited by alpha1 : 29th December 2015 at 18:11.
Old 29th December 2015, 20:21   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Maheep,

thats a fairly early service for your Thar. Did any major repair or part replacement happen?

Also how far is Moga from Ludhiana? I was thinking on my drive back to Jammu next week i might swing by Moga to checkout the semi hardtop vendor

thanks

Kundan
Hi Kundan, yes, when I had got my brand new bolero in 2008, on that too I did first service @ 1300 km only, my old school belief that first service should happen early only, as maximum friction and metal deposits will be released in oil during these few initial kilometers only while the new engine n other mechanical parts are settling in. Now second service @ 5000 and last warranty service @ 10,000. After that let's see if I'll want maxmile feo or might get a better grade ( CI 15/40 )
Moga is one hour from Ludhiana, 60km.
During this service only engine oil n oil filter was changed.
maheep007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2015, 13:50   #255
BHPian

Dear BHPians, I have a 19 year old MM550 which i use for my towing business and to pull a 3000 ltr water tanker to my grand parents farm house outside the city. Jeep has been my prime source of bread and butter and now started to show signs of weakness after the recent Chennai floods, Off late cops are against pulling vehicles in city during the day time traffic, so i've decided to go for a small flat bed truck for business, however i still need jeep to pull the water tank to my grand parents. I've tried with few so called SUV's like Tavera, Ecosport, Sumo, Quanto, Bolero and Scorpio. Except scorpio all the other burnt the clutch 2 trips, the Bolero was way to sluggish. Scorpio was ok but it does not give more than 6 kms while towing (its because i have to rev above 2500 rpm for every gear shift) and the new 4X4 costs 14+ grands (totally out of budget). After so many years of usage i prefer to go for Thar. My friend has the Di version which is very sluggish to tow in the city. Just want to understand has any of the Thar CRDE owners ever attempted to tow and if so what is the fuel efficiency they managed to get out of it. And what is the fuel efficiency on normal city and highway driving conditions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks