Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2015, 21:50   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Dear folks,

I took a couple of longish drives in my new Thar. It is mostly me alone up front or with kids at the back (after converting back seats to front facing).

With the Michelin AT2 tires and the low loaded weight, I would like to make the ride a bit more comfortable.

The options for me are:

1) Carbon fiber leafsprings + IronMan regular valving shockers.
2) Existing metal leafsprings + IronMan comfort valving shockers.
3) Any other suggestions others Thar users may please suggest.

I am looking to reduce the bumpiness. Bit confused if I should make it very soft or firm-ish
Not yet a Thar owner but plan to become one, shortly.

Based on research and feedback, the Jannaiah (Double-D) leaf springs is what you need.

New Mars Enterprises, Hyderabad, retails them for 20,000 rupees.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2015, 22:18   #167
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am from Mussoorie..! So can easily pick the Thar from Dehra Dun too. Though bringing it into the NCR, would I need to re-register it. How does it work. Will the 60K differential be negligible then..? Buying in Dehra Dun, bringing it to NCR, Gurgaon. Where is the showroom in Dehra Dun..?
Quote:
Interestingly, the dealership in Dehradun quoted a whole 60k less than Koncept and since buying there is an option for me, I would certainly not make the purchase in Delhi
Difference must be On-Road Prices and not on Ex- Showroom due to lower rate of Road Tax in Uttaranchal . But if you guys are planning to get re-registered in Haryana / Delhi it will not make sense as you will have to go through the process again and pay tax to Delhi / Haryana .

Last edited by Turbanator : 18th October 2015 at 22:19.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 08:43   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
I am looking to reduce the bumpiness. Bit confused if I should make it very soft or firm-ish
There is no need to make expensive modifications. Just reduce your tyre pressure from the instructed 35psi down to 32psi.
Lakshman1645 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 11:26   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakshman1645 View Post
There is no need to make expensive modifications. Just reduce your tyre pressure from the instructed 35psi down to 32psi.
I agree on this point, the stock Bridgestone HT tires were were bumpy at 35 PSI, most local tire shops (in Himachal) recommend that I take it down to 28-30 max, esp for hilly or uneven terrain and the bumpiness reduces quite a bit.

Once they wore out I changed to the Continental Cross Contact A/T and even at 35 PSI the ride was excellent and non bumpy. I use CFL's in the summer and the regular leaf springs in the winter.

Now I have worn out the Continentals too, and am using retreads till I figure out what next, but most likely will again for the Continental Cross Contacts. The retreads though behave much much better than the stock tires, with 28 PSI front and 30 back I managed to get 13.5 km/litre on the highway!
HillyThar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 11:34   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
Hi Johy, have you considered Bilstein shocks? They are the "go-to" shocks for 4WDs as has been my experience while living abroad.
I know them to be good, but they are expensive (in the tune of 58 to 60K for the B6?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
Based on research and feedback, the Jannaiah (Double-D) leaf springs is what you need.

New Mars Enterprises, Hyderabad, retails them for 20,000 rupees.

Cheers,

Jay
Will look this up too, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakshman1645 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillyThar View Post
I agree on this point, the stock Bridgestone HT tires were were bumpy at 35 PSI, most local tire shops (in Himachal) recommend that I take it down to 28-30 max, esp for hilly or uneven terrain and the bumpiness reduces quite a bit.
Yes, actually it was already 32 psi. I have further reduced it to 29~30 psi to see how it feels. Still, early days for me, so I will try out air pressure combinations before deciding what to do next. As of now, the front is fine. It is only the rear that is is bumpy. I was leaning towards Ironman 4x4 shockers for the rears as it is bolt on. I think the CFL might be tad soft for me.

Will update in a few days' time.
Old 20th October 2015, 18:23   #171
BHPian

2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
That is good to hear. So the gear throws are not that bad. How would you compare the gear shifting to a Scorpio and/or XUV..?

I am from Mussoorie..! So can easily pick the Thar from Dehra Dun too. Though bringing it into the NCR, would I need to re-register it. How does it work. Will the 60K differential be negligible then..? Buying in Dehra Dun, bringing it to NCR, Gurgaon. Where is the showroom in Dehra Dun..?

I haven't had a chance to drive the Scorpio but the gear changing in the XUV is certainly miles ahead of the Thar. Having said that, Thar's gearshifting isn't below par or anything IMO, XUV's just felt a little better.

The showroom is near Haridwar Bypass road in Dehradun (Dehradun Premier Motors).

I have been driving Uttarakhand registered vehicles in Delhi-NCR for almost two years and haven't had any problems with the authorities. I don't think I'll be going for re-registration. Not sure what the exact law is on this though.

Last edited by Tanmay K : 20th October 2015 at 18:25.
Tanmay K is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 02:03   #172
BHPian

The Glove compartment of the Upgraded Thar is larger than the glove compartment of the New Gen Scorpio. In fact the door handles in Thar also appears to be better than that of the Scorpio.
imove is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2015, 13:22   #173
BHPian

Is there any iteration scheduled for 2016..?
Old 29th October 2015, 15:11   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
Is there any iteration scheduled for 2016..?
With the 2015 facelift just out, and this has been a major major change, I think there won't be any new changes in 2016. If you wanted to buy a Thar, this is the time for it. The new one's interiors are better and rides better too! The clear headlamps and the sloping canopy are a plus for me (though many like the old box design).
johy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2015, 22:11   #175
BHPian

Super pumped to announce that i took delivery of my Black Thar CRDE on Diwali day.

A quick thank you to everyone who's brain i have chewed with my random queries over the last 2 years. Im just glad i had the patience and waited for the updated Thar, since its much better than the previous gen.

Shout out to Vikram Bopanna, Manveet, BD Sir and all the other good folks on this Forum (you ALL will be hounded a lot more in the days to come)

Mods im not sure if this is the correct place for this announcement. I will be putting together an ownership thread asap.

needed some help, i can hear a "tuck tuck" sound as if something is flapping against the tyre when i drive and its at all speeds. Any ideas what it could be ?

cheers

Kundan
Ksingh544 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2015, 10:59   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh544 View Post
Super pumped to announce that i took delivery of my Black Thar CRDE on Diwali day.

A quick thank you to everyone who's brain i have chewed with my random queries over the last 2 years. Im just glad i had the patience and waited for the updated Thar, since its much better than the previous gen.

Shout out to Vikram Bopanna, Manveet, BD Sir and all the other good folks on this Forum (you ALL will be hounded a lot more in the days to come)

Mods im not sure if this is the correct place for this announcement. I will be putting together an ownership thread asap.

needed some help, i can hear a "tuck tuck" sound as if something is flapping against the tyre when i drive and its at all speeds. Any ideas what it could be ?

cheers

Kundan
Hey there, congratulations for your new Thar, I too got a new one on 15th Oct. The sound is of the soft top fabric flapping against the body due to wind at high speeds, only solution is to get a hard top if it bothers you. Another reason for the sound could be the rear seat. At least my vehicle does tak tak on bad roads and I zeroed it to the rear seat, when u removed it, the noise was gone, probably need to take to the seat guy to get it fixed. Cheers
maheep007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 13:00   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheep007 View Post
Hey there, congratulations for your new Thar, I too got a new one on 15th Oct. The sound is of the soft top fabric flapping against the body due to wind at high speeds, only solution is to get a hard top if it bothers you. Another reason for the sound could be the rear seat. At least my vehicle does tak tak on bad roads and I zeroed it to the rear seat, when u removed it, the noise was gone, probably need to take to the seat guy to get it fixed. Cheers
Thanks Maheep ! and congratulations on your Thar too.What colour is yours?

In my case it turned out to be (atleast i think) small stones stuck in the tyres which were causing the noise.
after removing all of them, the noise has gone.

Yes the soft top does flap about quite a bit past 70 kmph. With the new music system installed that noise does get muffled . But HT is the only option, i will go in for one after the winter.

Some early shots of my Thar.
Attached Thumbnails
2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look-img_20151116_160703.jpg  

2015 Mahindra Thar Facelift : A Close Look-img_20151111_165113.jpg  

Ksingh544 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 20:24   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Looks super awesome, congrats! Black is a great choice as well.

How long did you have to wait between the booking and the delivery?

Did you get any accessories from the dealership/or are planning some soon? Please excuse my question if you are going to mention that in your ownership thread (looking forward to that btw)
Tanmay K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 22:48   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay K View Post
Looks super awesome, congrats! Black is a great choice as well.

How long did you have to wait between the booking and the delivery?

Did you get any accessories from the dealership/or are planning some soon? Please excuse my question if you are going to mention that in your ownership thread (looking forward to that btw)
Thanks Tanmay !

Black funnily was my 3rd choice. i wanted the Rocky Beige but the waiting for that was 3 months, here in Jammu.

Since i didnt want to wait so long and had already sold my daily driver (Scorpio), i went for the black option.

Having already owned a black Scorpio, i didnt mind another Black vehicle

It took exactly 31 days from booking to delivery.

The dealers here in Jammu have ZERO accessories. i desperately want to change the front bumper since this one is very ugly.

The only additions from the aftermarket till now are -
- Sony Xplod 2 Din Head Unit
- 2 Pioneer V2 speakers ( these have killer sound)
- Wooden boxes for speakers
- Carpet & Mats

Next up is the front bumper, Hellas and alloys. These i'll get done in Delhi in about 10-12 days when im there next.

Cheers

Kundan
Ksingh544 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2015, 09:39   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations for the Thar.It looks beautiful.All it needs is a pair of good off road bumpers,a pair of Hella 3003,a hard top,alloys and a hard top
How practical do you think the Thar would be for long drives (read 1000Km+)?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks