Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2015, 22:34   #916
BHPian

Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled

Amazing Pricing! As a consumer I like this, but not sure as an investor though. Has Maruti left money on the table especially considering the premium positioning, more than competition features by variants and limited reach of Nexa to play the volume game? Guess their intention was to also drive more footfalls to Nexa to help Scross. A brave move though not sure if it is a prudent one.

Last edited by nurni76 : 26th October 2015 at 22:41.
Old 26th October 2015, 23:10   #917
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs

Once again, a smart marketing release by Maruti-Suzuki's Nexa channel which will ensure that the Baleno rocks the sales charts in the days to come.

Just goes to show what good recruitment and fresh ideas can do to existing car sales channels.

Maruti-Suzuki, like Honda & Hyundai in recent times, have their hand on the pulse of the market and are giving it exactly what it demands - when the market was skewed in favor of "kitna deti hai?", they made fuel efficiency their topmost priority and forego safety and build standards to ensure they lead the numbers in the FE charts ONLY (just think that the Swift still has a plastic fuel tank inside it!).

Slowly, other companies' offerings started to overtake them in FE numbers, and also raked in more sales by not compromising on premium fit and finish either.

What do they do?

Improve the premium content in their cars, make them more lighter using "high tensile" elements, improve fuel efficiency numbers even more by using SHVS & related technology, and pack the cars with plenty of contemporary features.

Also, amidst the call for more safety and mandatory crash test worthiness by 2017, they start offering safety features on lower variants of newly launched cars such as the Baleno as well, while starting to offer optional safety packs on their other mainstream offerings which are not in the immediate line for either a new generation or a facelifted launch.

Sure, their engines may be lacklustre and power an entire range of cars stretching from 4 lakhs to 12 lakhs, but hey? Isn't that what Honda is doing as well? When their Japanese counterpart tasted big success by following this same formula with the 100 PS/200 Nm i-DTEC, why shouldn't Maruti-Suzuki follow it too?

After all, if the S-Cross sells more in it's 1.3L "premium" avatar, why shouldn't the Baleno sell as well?

Forget that the competition offers bigger engine sizes with better power/torque/performance figures. The mass market is still swayed by features galore, huge in-cabin space, a big boot and badge pull - 4 crucial factors which Maruti-Suzuki possesses in dollops.

The friendly neighbourhood Nexa salesman will definitely open all four doors to show how big the cabin is, he will open the boot to show how big the boot is ("close to 340 liters, ma'am!"), but what he won't do is pop open the bonnet to show what engine powers the car under the hood. And quite frankly, for the general public, engine specs are still not a big deal, as long as the car pulls decently enough inside the citys and on the highways.

Just like all the pre-launch focus of the S-Cross was on the 1.6L power under it's hood but the 1.3L is garnering more sales now, same will be repeated with the Baleno. Only the handful of real enthusiasts will be left complaining about why the Baleno didn't get the 90 PS option, but the masses will lap up the 1.3L 75 PS option - and will be really happy with their "premium" purchase.

Score two, Nexa!

Yes, the petrol option is quite a match for it's segment competition, but comparing the 75 PS diesel to similar offerings of it's segment is almost like a travesty. We have cars which are powered by bigger, more powerful engines churning out either 100+ PS of power or 200+ Nm of torque at similar or slightly lower price points, but now most of them will either feel the heat or become redundant.

I won't be surprised if the Baleno rakes in 4-digit or even 5-digit sales figures in the days to come, while better cars will definitely go down in the numbers' game.

Poor Abarth Punto - it would be lucky to touch 4-digit figures in monthly dispatches. 145 PS & 212 Nm be damned.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 26th October 2015 at 23:26.
RavenAvi is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 26th October 2015, 23:51   #918
BHPian

First thing first, the product seems excellent and Maruti should be given the credit. Haven't seen it so far in flesh, but in photographs the rears and sides appear fabulous. Front is something which one would either love or hate, and I could not love it so far.

Coming to the price, I think Suzuki had little by way of options. With S-Cross debacle fresh in the memory, another pricing disaster would have killed the Nexa. And it is difficult to ignore that through this product, Suzuki is making its actual entry in the B2 segment. It no way could have kept the price at par with Elite i20, the leader. It also would have been unwise to ignore the threshold rising up for safety in the segment (other segments still left untouched, established product after all).

Now with this launch, some equations are quite likely to change. Trying to guess them -

1. Hyundai being a sensible marketeer, wont take the intrusion in their territory lying down. If insiders to be believed, i20 is to be revamped soon and effort this time be more serious than the launch of Active.
2. Ford will have to think twice before tampering with the 'Introductory Price' of Figo. It still has 6-airbags, DCT and 100 PS diesel to tom-tom, but I seriously doubt if market cares beyond a point.
3. An already over-priced Polo (all trims) now looks glaringly expensive. Since VW would not like to take it it of circulation, may expect sharp discounts.
4. Jazz is in real risk of turning an also ran. One of its main attractions, 1.2 VTEC engine, is adequately matched by K12 of Baleno. Besides, Baleno does to it what Aspire did to other CSs. That is, matching features at lower price and topping that up with better safety.

One thing is certain that suddenly the options for buyers have gone up while the prices are turning competitive. A great situation to be in and increasing sign of market maturity.

Last edited by rsm97 : 26th October 2015 at 23:53.
rsm97 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 00:27   #919
BHPian

Folks, do any of you think that the Boosterjet engine will be offered in the India spec Baleno within the next 6 months?
Old 27th October 2015, 01:01   #920
BHPian

Tremendous pricing by Maruti Suzuki, they will surely get the numbers no doubt.

Not an MSIL or Hyundai fan but I would prefer the exterior styling of the Elite i20 over the Baleno anyday. Why on earth dint Maruti differentiate the front of the Baleno ( read headlamp design ) from Swift, Dzire , Ertiga which are already plying in millions on Indian roads? I agree the top end with those DRL's and LED's do lift up things quite a bit but the exclusivity feel of the new Baleno is very grim. Just off topic, The old Baleno sedan stands out in the crowd even now .

Is this car too bulky or I am a only one feeling so? I'm talking in specific about the design here, I'm aware its on a new platform and weighs 100 kilos less etc etc. Doesn't the design look like a "wagon" rather than a premium or sporty hatchback which everybody is claiming. Design is again subjective but apologies this is what I think about it. The interior quality too is surely a notch higher in the Elite i20 from the pics and videos I've seen. Will be able to judge better once I see it in flesh tomorrow.

I have a strong feeling Maruti will start selling the Baleno through their regular showrooms as well very soon and it will not be limited only to the NEXA outlets ( I'm being optimistic with the fact it's going to sell in huge numbers ).

Just out of curiosity, If anyone has the OTR price list for Bangalore, please do share. We are the unfortunate ones paying the highest taxes, ex showroom prices don't really tickle us much

Last edited by Hammy : 27th October 2015 at 01:10.
Hammy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 07:20   #921
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
I won't be surprised if the Baleno rakes in 4-digit or even 5-digit sales figures in the days to come, while better cars will definitely go down in the numbers' game.

Poor Abarth Punto - it would be lucky to touch 4-digit figures in monthly dispatches. 145 PS & 212 Nm be damned.
One starts at 4.99L and the other one at 9.95L. For the price of Punto, you an have two Balenos, almost

They both aren't even in the same category for them to be compared. If the Punto sells less than the TSi from Volkswagen, then maybe it is time to crib.

What gladdens me greatly is that people buying lower versions of i20/Jazz will have no reason to justify their buy when they are asked about safety.

The Baleno offers them the same safety equipments what the others offer in their higher end versions, in the 4.99L model itself. Maruti was able to do what Honda couldn't with their first generation Jazz.
Old 27th October 2015, 07:21   #922
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful pricing by Maruti on the Baleno.

I feel the Zeta version will be the best seller followed by the Delta.
Someone buying the ZXi version of Swift/Dzire would strongly consider the Baleno Zeta given that its an all new model with some great features.

I was wondering if one can opt for the Zeta right now and later add the projector headlamps as an accessory when available?
Also, about the SmartPlay system, would that be available as an accessory too from Nexa at a later date?

By going for the Zeta version against the Alpha one can save close to 80K. If one sets aside 40K for the Projector headlamp setup with DRL, would the other 40K provide a nice touchscreen infotainment system with GPS and reverse camera? Is such an after market solution available at that price point?

By the way, it seems while the top-end models get wheel size of 195/55 R16 their spare wheel is 185/65 R15. Wouldn't that size affect the driving dynamics even if its for a small distance.

Last edited by SRK : 27th October 2015 at 07:26.
SRK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 07:29   #923
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK View Post
I was wondering if one can opt for the Zeta right now and later add the projector headlamps as an accessory when available?
It is very much possible, as now for S Cross the projector lamps have come as an accessory. the entire cost of conversion is INR 38 K, guess for Baleno it could be a bit cheaper.

But this will not be ready now for Baleno, maybe in a couple of months the accessory would be available.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 07:32   #924
BHPian

For everyone who could not see the Baleno launch event, the link to the YouTube video is included below.

Couple of points to note from the launch event -

1. 300 Nexa showrooms by next year
2. 50000 units to be exported from India starting next year
3. S Cross has sold 12000 units so far
4. No direct answer provided to the question of cannibalization within the product range.

Hope this helps
Satishtv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 07:32   #925
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
It is very much possible, as now for S Cross the projector lamps have come as an accessory. the entire cost of conversion is INR 38 K, guess for Baleno it could be a bit cheaper.

But this will not be ready now for Baleno, maybe in a couple of months the accessory would be available.
Thanks volkman10.

This would be the most sold accessory from the Nexa outlet when it arrives
Old 27th October 2015, 08:02   #926
BHPian

Only if Maruti adds more Nexa showrooms. Most states have only one or two Nexa showrooms at max. How are they planning to sell a Rs. 5L car only through 20 outlets across India? If sold through regular Maruti showrooms, I can easily see them selling above 10K per month.

The sensible pricing of Baleno has made me more frustrated on the lack of Nexa showrooms near my home (the nearest one is 200 kms away). Hope Maruti listens to user sentiments.
Old 27th October 2015, 08:16   #927
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvk84 View Post
How are they planning to sell a Rs. 5L car only through 20 outlets across India? .
Currently they have 80 Nexa outlets, plans for 100 by end 2015 and 300 by 2016.

Looks like the target sales expected from Baleno is 5-6K per month considering the handicap they have in the number of Nexa outlets they have and also considering the production capacity when exports too kick in during 2016.

Initial export volumes of 5,000-6,000 units seem to be earmarked to Japan and Europe monthly. These will be scaled up to 55,000 annually for the global markets by next year.
Old 27th October 2015, 08:43   #928
BHPian

The pricing on the Baleno has taken all by surprise, especially the proximity to the Swift twins. My take is that Maruti could use the low pricing to stabilize the Baleno brand and with it its Nexa chain. The Swift is showing its age and the sales could be maintained via discounts. Then when the Baleno stabilizes Maruti could introduce the Boosterjet with a commensurate price increase and possibly discontinue the K12 thereby vacating space to adequately price the new Swift which would be ready by then. With this I think the harm to Swift could be contained. It is difficult to build big brands and Maruti would not want to damage its super brand!!!
Old 27th October 2015, 09:08   #929
BHPian

Does anyone have the ex-showroom prices for Chennai? I checked the website and it is still not updated with the price details.
Old 27th October 2015, 09:09   #930
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil_d1106 View Post
The pricing on the Baleno has taken all by surprise, especially the proximity to the Swift twins. My take is that Maruti could use the low pricing to stabilize the Baleno brand and with it its Nexa chain.
I think the primary motive with the low pricing is to increase the footfall in the Nexa showrooms. There is a vast majority of people who would not have dared / bothered to visit Nexa when only S-Cross was there; thanks to it's exorbitant price. Now with a mass market pricing we are already seeing a huge rush at the Nexa showrooms.

Added bonus being the smart RM's pushing S-Cross to some customers who can perhaps afford it.

Nice move, Maruti!

Quote:
The Swift is showing its age and the sales could be maintained via discounts. Then when the Baleno stabilizes Maruti could introduce the Boosterjet with a commensurate price increase and possibly discontinue the K12 thereby vacating space to adequately price the new Swift which would be ready by then. With this I think the harm to Swift could be contained. It is difficult to build big brands and Maruti would not want to damage its super brand!!!
I doubt Swift sales will take much of a hit; some cannibalization, yes; but someone who wants a Swift normally doesn't look elsewhere. Can you believe I have already seen the gory Swift Glory on road here in Pune.

But true, Boosterjet will surely command a premium, something similar to S-Cross 1.6 perhaps.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks