Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2015, 16:20   #856
Senior - BHPian

re: Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs

NEXA is here to stay and MSIL has confirmed this through the pricing of Baleno.

- Cross shopping yes, but now NEXA will have crowd from both Maruti dealerships as well as Ford, Hyundai and Honda. People considering Tata are equally welcome.

- Ritz might see a sunset soon, while Swift and Dzire may go for decent festive discounts to create a reasonable price correction / gap with Baleno.

- The pricing (trim to trim) has been kept in a way that it will attract both segment lower and segment upper customers

- The pricing pattern confirms that there is space for fully loaded CVT in due course of time

- MSIL also expects fresh requests for NEXA dealerships from tier II cities now, which were on a back burner after S-Cross announcement

- Finally festive season for both MSIL as well as for customers. Waiting period may go up to 6 months as it happened when Dzire was launched

Last edited by i74js : 26th October 2015 at 16:22.
i74js is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2015, 16:26   #857
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemus View Post
Looking at the feature-list, Delta version looks VFM and is much equipped to take Figo Titanium head on.

Major features which Figo Titanium has over Baleno Delta are:

-- Alloys (Can be added in aftermarket or as an accessory)
-- Fog lamps
-- Driver height adjuster

If ok to let these go then it can be formidable choice. OTR for Delta will be very close to Titanium.

PS: I am talking about diesel variant, story for petrol should be similar too.
For the same price, Figo TDCI offers something which MSIL literally "forgot" to add. 33% more Power on tap vs the 75 Ps Baleno Diesel while still offering ~26kmpl on ARAI is hard to ignore! Also, if not for the low kerb weight, Baleno Diesel would be the weakest performer amongst its competition, at least on paper.

At the other end of the spectrum, the Petrol on the Ford(, Polo, i20 and even the Jazz to some extent) never stood a chance against the versatile Suzuki K12. Baleno Petrol Vs the rest is a total walkover. Given the fact that the kerb weight figure was last seen in the spec sheet of the Wagon R, the K12 will give it adequate power just about everywhere. I just hope that the low kerb weight doesn't translate into missing structural elements which will magically find their way into the export variants.

Couple this good power-to-weight ratio, with the 195 section tyres and 16 inch wheels (starting from the base Sigma variant) should give it more than adequate grip for all kinds spirited driving. The only other Hatchback to offer tyres of this spec as stock is the Abarth Punto Evo which incidentally, costs almost exactly twice as much.

With the rest of the basics taken care of, this car is a potential warm-hatch in the making if only Suzuki introduces a remap-happy forced-induction, 110bhp 1.0 Boosterjet engine for not too much of a premium.

Last edited by antz.bin : 26th October 2015 at 16:31.
antz.bin is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th October 2015, 16:32   #858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
For the same price, Figo TDCI offers something which MSIL literally "forgot" to add. 33% more Power on tap vs the 75 Ps Baleno Diesel while still offering ~26kmpl on ARAI is hard to ignore!
Agreed. Picking Figo would be a no brainer for an enthusiast in case of diesel, especially in Titanium and Titanium+. While the Titanium offers good VFM, Titanium+ offers 6 airbags - only car in the segment to do so.
theredliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2015, 16:32   #859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
For the same price, Figo TDCI offers something which MSIL literally "forgot" to add. 33% more Power on tap vs the 75 Ps Baleno Diesel while still offering ~26kmpl on ARAI is hard to ignore!
Exactly the reason why I went ahead with Figo 1.5D without waiting for Baleno pricing.

If you love to drive then you just cannot ignore the ear-to-ear grin Figo puts on your face while being easy on the pocket.
Old 26th October 2015, 16:34   #860
BHPian

This is, quite as I had expected, killer pricing from Maruti. The Baleno with the price now official, looks a far more complete package than any of its rivals. It is quite big in size, has got chic looks, the novelty factor for now (which like most Marutis will disappear in a few months' time), well appointed black interiors, and uses its weight very well to extract above average performance and efficiency from an average motor. Has the safety base really well covered too. All in all, what you are getting in this car is the Maruti peace of mind with a desirable and modern package.

And as I had said earlier too, this car is good enough to send down serious shock-waves to sales figures of some of the most settled top-sellers in the country. The Dzire is already starting to look dated, and the i20 overpriced. The Nexa exclusive policy will affect its availability slightly, but after all its a Maruti and it will reach the people in the end.
i20 and Jazz sales certainly won't remain the same as they are now, but I feel the most for poor Ford. They had just launched two extremely competent and well-equipped cars in the Aspire and Figo, and just as the audience began to warm up to them, Maruti drops this bomb. So we now actually have the Japanese doing a Hiroshima to the Americans!

But above all, the best part I feel of this car is that Indian car buyers get a taste of world class motoring with the maturity in design and interiors, the focus on safety, and tech like CarPlay being introduced. Sure, six airbags and SHVS would have been great, but there's no reason why they can't be added in the future.

Yet, Maruti have genuinely played the 'premium' card extremely well. There's nothing of that "What, car for India? Just bathe it in chrome and beige and stick a boot" attitude to be seen here. Rather, there is real attention to quality and detail in small but significant things. For instance, the base trim doesn't get rear power windows or keyless entry, but gets two airbags and ABS as standard. Kudos, Maruti!! Similarly, there's nothing of a 'feature' in something as basic as tilt steering, and that is standard across variants too. (Surprisingly, an even more basic split rear seat isn't, comes in all but base variants.) Alloys are not made into a luxury and are available in both top trims. The CVT option is available in the Delta trim and not kept exclusive to the top trim (In fact the top trim doesn't even get an AT if I'm not wrong, but that will come soon). In short, Maruti are acknowledging the educated and aware buyer, and aren't acting as if they are doing us a favour by equipping the car with features.

And then, to further justify the 'premium' tag, there are exclusive experience showrooms, and direct association with arguably the most 'premium' brand in the world, Apple! That too a first in the country! Speak of 'cool' factor! That alone should convert many of the vast number of existing VDi customers into ZDi (rather Alpha) ones.

So overall, it is a fantastic package, and a refreshing change in the budget segment. The volumes should come easily for this car. There are a few negatives, namely the 75 BHP state of tune as opposed to the 90 BHP one, the limited availability through the Nexa network, and long waiting periods that will soon come along. But the performance is great despite the lower power output, and finally Maruti have also finally stopped flogging the dead horse 4-speed auto 'box in favour of the new CVT. Another chart-topper for sure, then. Congratulations Maruti, and thank you very much!

PS: Shocked hearing stories of the spread of Nexa dealerships. The vast dealer network is arguably Maruti's greatest strength, and they are letting go of it on some of their best cars. I fear this Nexa policy shouldn't result in the direct inverse of its intended puropse, and actually move people away from buying premium Marutis. Three or four dealerships in major states is horrible. However, I live in Nashik, and there is one coming up a couple of kilometres away from my house. Hope Maruti take care of having enough dealers.
(Also secretly hope that the 1.6 S-Cross price magically comes down to around City-Verna level, the Creta is exposed, the BR-V slashed, and overconfident Hyundai and Honda are taught a hard lesson...... )

Last edited by mukul32 : 26th October 2015 at 17:03.
mukul32 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th October 2015, 16:37   #861
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemus View Post
Congratulations, nice choice! Ray Blue color seriously looks amazing!

Did you take a TD? How does the car handle?

Thank you. No did not take the TD as it is not available yet. TD to be available in 2-3 days. The car is impressive. Very impressive for its price.
Gurgaon Nexa showroom has 289 bookings, with my SA having booked 2 cars for himself as well.
There was another customer who had already booked Jazz V diesel, and he was also getting inclined towards Baleno. Maruti have a winner on their hands I must say.
The showroom was packed , could only get enough time with the car. Happy though with the fact that I waited and did not rush with Jazz.
Old 26th October 2015, 16:37   #862
BHPian

I feel the Delta Variant is best VFM (Just a personal opinion)..Zeta variant has things which you can do away with..So guys which variant do you guys think will outsell other ones and will have long waiting period?
Old 26th October 2015, 16:39   #863
BHPian

The car looks very good, the feature list is great, not to mention the space available along with the boot and now the pricing !

While all these are great, I hope the puny engine doesn't let the car down on the highway with mediocre performance !
Old 26th October 2015, 16:40   #864
BHPian

The pricing for the Baleno is indeed great. However, the Baleno gets away with a relatively underpowered petrol and diesel engine just due to its low kerb weight. But what I would like to check-out is how does the car behave with five on board and a weekend trip luggage. If it is able to perform under those conditions then it deserves a thumps-up. My guess is for a diesel hatchback + driving enthusiast the Figo diesel still makes more sense....
Old 26th October 2015, 16:44   #865
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsarora View Post
As a S Cross owner, I have first hand experienced this factor. In the whole of UP, which is one of the biggest Indian states; there is only one NEXA in Lucknow and a 2nd one coming up again in Lucknow. There are atleast 10 other major cities which can sell atleast 50 cars a month and MSIL is losing all those customers. I drove to Gorakhpur and to Bareilly which are decently big cities. At both places I met few of my office colleagues who were really impressed with the vehicle, but the moment they were told that they can get it only in Lucknow just backed off.

Seriously MSIL you are making a good vehicle lose in the market.
As a terrific VFM product, Baleno should be in regular MS showroom, and not in Nexa.
While Baleno may be able to bring the necessary footfalls to Nexa, but the low number of Nexa showrooms would make the prospective Baleno customers go to i20 and Jazz anyway.
In the whole of TN, there are three showrooms located in Chennai, and two located in Coimbatore. You can not even book a test drive from the Nexa website, if you are located in any other city. Though the pricing is terrific, I don't think many car buyers would actually benefit from it. They could probably book a car, but how it will be delivered to them is a question.
If you are not located in a Nexa city, does anyone know how you can proceed with test drive, booking, vehicle delivery etc - if you are not willing to travel the 300 - 400 km distance?
hybridpetrol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2015, 16:49   #866
BANNED

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 9th November 2015 at 14:45.
kumar2007 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 26th October 2015, 16:54   #867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by p'arth View Post
This pricing is going to cannibalize the Dzire. For slightly more bucks you get a lot more car. Below is a sample comparison:

As you can see Dzire Lxi and ZXi will be the most hit. With Vxi there is still some price gap.
Thanks for this comparo.
But please bear in mind that Baleno Delta is comparable to Swift Zxi sans alloys and driver height adjustment. So with that in mind the gap is even wider between Dzire and Baleno.
Delta and Zxi are nearly 1.2L apart actually
Old 26th October 2015, 16:56   #868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Doesn't i20 Asta offer 16" wheels? Please check.
Yes Asta comes with 195/55 R16, checked Era and updated
Karthik Chandra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2015, 16:58   #869
BHPian

All I can say is GOD BLESS MARUTI!

And no not because of the competitive pricing or because of parking sensors and DRLs but because and only because of the safety features.

Any debate of car safety be it on T-BHP or any other platform reaches always ends on the same note "Kya kare govt. strict hoti nahi car companies khud kuch karti nahi" (The government is not willing to take stern steps and the car makers, on their own won't do anything).

But now as the saying goes, A Leader should show the way, Maruti has done exactly that by giving ABS/EBD and airbags across all variants. This will put tremendous, repeat Tremendous pressure on Honda and Hyundai and now the ridiculous mindset of "competition not providing safety features why should we?" will change overnight for the Japanese (Honda) and South Koreans.

And I don't want to sound cocky but I am pretty sure within next 6 months, Honda will reduce the prices of Jazz by offering discounts and Hyundai will bring in an updates Elite with projector lamps and airbags et al on the the lines of the refreshed Verna.

Bottom line: Maruti deserves a big pat on their back and I can safely say that no carmaker would now dare enter this segment or launch a new car WITHOUT safety features matching the Baleno.
captain.torque is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th October 2015, 16:59   #870
BHPian

Killer Pricing by Maruti.
The Elite i20 will surely feel the heat.
Delta Variant of Petrol should cost around 6.6L on road for Pune. It surely challenges the Sports(O) and Asta variants of elite i20 with 1-1.4L cheaper price tag.

Only -ve about Baleno would be its limited availabiliy through Nexa. But well done Maruti as far as pricing is considered. Upcoming months are really going to be interesting for premium hatchback market with so many options being on cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHC VTEC View Post
I feel the Delta Variant is best VFM (Just a personal opinion)..

Dual airbags, ABS+EBD, Bluetooth, Steering Mounted Controls, Rear Parking Sensors, Rear Wash/Wiper and many more.
IMHO features list is subjective and which needs to be given importance is totally personal choice. So for me also Delta is best VFM.

I had bought Elite i20 Asta last year. My main priority was Dual Airbags and ABS. So I didn't go with Sports (O). And spent 7.45L On road before price hike.
So Delta which should cost around 6.6L in Pune, exceeds my basic requirements. (Elite i20 doesn't come with EBD).

Last edited by carbhaari : 26th October 2015 at 17:13. Reason: Added Quote
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks