Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2015, 11:29   #301
Senior - BHPian

re: Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Maruti Suzuki dealers at Nexa has started accepting bookings ( at select dealers)for the Baleno with deliveries being promised by the end of the month by some dealerships.
So all speculations about Boosterjet laid to rest? It will be the same K series and MJD.

Interestingly I was at NEXA showroom yetserday evening and the RM told me that Baleno is expected to have 1 Litre boosterjet engine and a very faint chance of even getting the 1.6 Litre NA engine. I took the 1.6 petrol part with truck loads of salt, didnt expect that they will have the same 1.2 K series for their premium offering too. Could have atleast got the 1.4 litre engine.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2015, 11:38   #302
BANNED

I guess Maruti is going to give us good surprise by giving us a good price. I can smell that here. Lots of people complaining about 75 PS engine, but i guess we need to wait and watch for the actual test drive reports. If it is lighter than Swift indeed, it will be good car to drive for sure.

Kudos to Maruti for giving safety features for all the models. This will surely set the benchmark. I guess they are planning to undercut the i20 Elite here which is current marlket leader in the segment. Eagerly waiting to see the car in person now & for pricing offcourse
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2015, 11:48   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
Why do they persist with the 75 ps ddis when they can plop the 90ps motor down ? Another one down the drain. Frustrating!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
extremely disappointing are: Choice of 75 ps engine instead of 90 ps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
Now, why cant MS provide the 90ps tune on this car if its lighter than the swift it can easily do 0-100 in less than 10sec.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednikhil View Post
75 ps in the supposedly "premium" hatch to be sold from the premium Nexa! Absolutely shockingly stingy attitude, to say the least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
I really wish this 75 PS power figure for the diesel Baleno is not true. Why did Maruti not even give the 90 PS tune to this car?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
The car is going to be sold through NEXA and If it comes with a 75hp tune will MS name it as DDIS190?
Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
If its 75 bhp in the Diesel version, I am out of the equation for buying this. A 75 bhp hatchback which is launched to compete against an 89 bhp I20 just won't cut it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nivatakavacha View Post
I hope Maruti do not give us the Baleno with 75 PS spec because it would be a shame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
The diesel shall indeed be the 75 ps FGT unit.
I think this is a bummer from MSIL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
But DDiS 1.3 FGT is sad news. I was so hoping to see the VGT in this or even the 1.6. Hope those will debut later once the Baleno is established here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
So all speculations about Boosterjet laid to rest? It will be the same K series and MJD.
I'm getting tired of seeing nice performing diesels while petrol versions continue to get a raw deal (i20, Jazz...). Kudos to Maruti for lining up equally impotent engines for petrol as well as diesel. Guess this is what they call schadenfreude.
Su-47 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th October 2015, 12:14   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
Now this is exciting and something to really look forward to. But then, "coming" is a very subjective definition of time - it can be 1 month or 1 year... as the room service says in hotels, "yes sir, your order is on the way but by the way did you want 1 roti or 2?"!

I think considering the import is August and is only 2 engines imported (at least on the screenshot), they may potentially be testing it in the YBA which could be launched in Auto Expo 2016 and then gradually introducing it on other vehicles.

Having said that, always ready to be pleasantly surprised
I knew it. But I must say even I didn't expect the FGT to be launched. I was honestly expecting the VGT on the diesel.

NEXA at the moment seems to be going haywire and I really hope it doesn't have an effect on Maruti overall. Sometimes corporates can take a couple of bad decisions which has a multi-fold impact on the entire company because of the boardroom's personal desires to try and convert a failure into a success by pumping good money after bad.

As I had mentioned on the Celerio diesel thread, Maruti was perhaps banking on its "kitna deti hai" philosophy to try and push the 2-cyl engine on a Rs 6lac car. Although a good move by Maruti but the launchpad was wrong. This should have been introduced in the budget cars, i.e. Alto, Eeco / Omni. Typically in these segments (esp Omni), people wouldn't be much bothered about the NVH levels and more interested on mileage / running costs. They should have done R&D in these cars before launching on higher models.

In today's date, time and transparency of information, selling a 2-cylinder engine upwards of Rs 6 lacs was a wild dream as was the S-Cross with DDIS 320 for Rs 16 lacs and launch only in diesel. Let's see how the Baleno goes now.

Last edited by avdhesh15 : 6th October 2015 at 12:19. Reason: added further
Old 6th October 2015, 12:22   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
I guess Maruti is going to give us good surprise by giving us a good price. I can smell that here. Lots of people complaining about 75 PS engine, but i guess we need to wait and watch for the actual test drive reports. If it is lighter than Swift indeed, it will be good car to drive for sure.

Kudos to Maruti for giving safety features for all the models. This will surely set the benchmark. I guess they are planning to undercut the i20 Elite here which is current marlket leader in the segment. Eagerly waiting to see the car in person now & for pricing offcourse
Mediocrity was considered good enough for us Indians by Maruti and we were mollified by the Maruti advantage etc . , in the last decade.

We have moved on. When the Figo diesel has set the benchmark and beats the Swift hollow in most if not all factors, do we still believe 75 ps is adequate. Remember, this is meant to take on the Torque monsters from the 1.4 crdi of the i20, 1.5 engines of the Ford Figo and the VW Polo.

The only reason the Swift keeps up with them on the roads is due to the tinny build (also for the mileage ).

A premium car with economy in mind is a bit cheap!
sunsetorange is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2015, 12:31   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
I guess Maruti is going to give us good surprise by giving us a good price. I can smell that here.
What good price can they offer? Surely it will be priced more than the Swift, and if it is priced even 50k more it will be getting into i20/Jazz territory and already more expensive than the Figo, in which case it is already outclassed in terms of engine and features. Maruti doesn't have much room to play around here and have basically shot themselves in the foot by sabotaging what could have been a superhit high-volume product in order to save a low-volume S-Cross.

Quote:
Mediocrity was considered good enough for us Indians by Maruti and we were mollified by the Maruti advantage etc . , in the last decade.

We have moved on. When the Figo diesel has set the benchmark and beats the Swift hollow in most if not all factors, do we still believe 75 ps is adequate. Remember, this is meant to take on the Torque monsters from the 1.4 crdi of the i20, 1.5 engines of the Ford Figo and the VW Polo.

The only reason the Swift keeps up with them on the roads is due to the tinny build (also for the mileage ).

A premium car with economy in mind is a bit cheap!
Spot on! Looks like Maruti is focusing on so-called premium showrooms, while not doing enough to make the car itself premium enough. Going through Nexa to buy a car with an engine 25 ps down on the competitors reminds me of what some airlines do for frequent flyer economy passengers - they get to check in through the First/Business counter, but have to sit in economy none the same.

Last edited by chncar : 6th October 2015 at 12:37.
Old 6th October 2015, 12:45   #307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Swift might not keep up with others at present but it is Swift that forced others to bring out products that can keep up with Swift. The initial products by all manufacturers failed miserably in terms of performance. The previous Figo was no where near Swift in terms of experience.

Quote:
What good price can they offer? Surely it will be priced more than the Swift, and if it is priced even 50k more it will be getting into i20/Jazz territory and already more expensive than the Figo, in which case it is already outclassed in terms of engine and features. Maruti doesn't have much room to play around here and have basically shot themselves in the foot by sabotaging what could have been a superhit high-volume product in order to save a low-volume S-Cross.
I would wait for the product launch before criticizing it. It will be tough for Baleno to fail particularly when it is not an ugly car. Maruti is one company that can sell ugly boxes in large numbers.
Old 6th October 2015, 13:06   #308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Swift might not keep up with others at present but it is Swift that forced others to bring out products that can keep up with Swift. The initial products by all manufacturers failed miserably in terms of performance. The previous Figo was no where near Swift in terms of experience.
I think that is debatable and pretty subjective. The Figo when introduced had a much better ride and handling package and came with bluetooth etc that Maruti introduced only years later on the Swift. Also, at least the diesel engine has better drivability for most Indian traffic conditions. And don't forget the Getz, witch that scorcher of a diesel engine.

Also, the Swift might have been ahead in the past but the present is what matters, and the fact is that the competitors have moved the goalposts.
Old 6th October 2015, 13:07   #309
BHPian

Finally its Baleno & its coming soon exclusively at NEXA outlet soon.

Attached below is the full page teaser advt in today's Hindustan Times daily, highlighting its beautiful Blue colour, DDiS badge & hubs of Alloys featured. The Alloy wheels seems to be having good looking design(possibly better than current crop of Maruti Suzuki cars except Ciaz).

Regarding the Diesel engine which is going to power this car, I am expecting this car to feature 90PS DDiS Diesel engine shared with Ciaz(with SHVS) or S-Cross(Non SHVS type), considering the Power, Performance & Refinement levels this segment demands.
Attached Thumbnails
Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs-1444116697065.jpg  

Last edited by CRtorquefan : 6th October 2015 at 13:21.
Old 6th October 2015, 13:09   #310
BHPian

I like how the car looks overall but not the front (looks being subjective). There is something missing in how the front bumper, headlights, grille etc come together. The rear three quarters view seems to be the best. Hope it does comes with good alloys in the final production version.

Also not impressed with the engine options that have come out:
Quote:
The Baleno will come with two engine options:
1.2-litre 84ps petrol (Manual and CVT gearbox option).
1.3-litre 75ps diesel(Manual gearbox only).
These are time tested and reliable engines but I expected this to have some differentiation over the Swift even in the engines. For someone looking for a good petrol performer in manual hatchbacks, there still aren't many options.

Last edited by jetti : 6th October 2015 at 13:11.
Old 6th October 2015, 13:19   #311
BHPian

Reading the specs, I don't think it will be a sales buster.
Just 75 BHP for the diesel ?? Why would anybody buy it. Engine wise it is nothing more than a bigger swift with some more features, but it does look good and handsome.
Maruti should have al-tleast given it the 90 bhp treatment.
For enthusiasts it looks like a DOA product, but for a common man, it may look good, but even they'd be thinking twice before looking at it.
Old 6th October 2015, 13:23   #312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think that is debatable and pretty subjective. The Figo when introduced had a much better ride and handling package and came with bluetooth etc that Maruti introduced only years later on the Swift. Also, at least the diesel engine has better drivability for most Indian traffic conditions. And don't forget the Getz, witch that scorcher of a diesel engine.
Incidentally I test drove both the cars for my father and did not like them at all. He wanted to buy Getz but I pushed for City ZX. I am glad he went by my decision. Anyways, we can discuss this in some other relevant thread. As of now, I will wait for the car to come on roads before commenting on its qualities.

Last edited by sourabhzen : 6th October 2015 at 13:52.
Old 6th October 2015, 13:34   #313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
2. Petrol and Diesel variants, 1.2 and 1.3 L, no SHVS at launch, nor 1.0L boosterjet
3. Variant names similar to S Cross - Sigma, Delta, Zeta and Alpha
7. CVT only on Delta variant ( Petrol)
While we all cry that AT is available only in top specs of some cars, Suzuki's decision to have AT only in mid trim is also a huge mistake.
Urban commuters need an AT today.. come on Suzuki you know Indian customers more than anyone else!

No Booster Jet + CVT with top specs and that just made my life easier. My booking for Polo TSI will not need any cancellation
freedom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2015, 13:37   #314
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Interestingly I was at NEXA showroom yetserday evening and the RM told me that Baleno is expected to have 1 Litre boosterjet engine and a very faint chance of even getting the 1.6 Litre NA engine
Boosterjet engine, we could still have hope. It mayl come here after the release in Eu market early next year.

The 1.6 MJD was really not there at all. Just speculations.

Baleno was slated to get the Suzuki 1.5 diesel engine at launch but since that is delayed, rumored in late 2016/2017, I guess they decided on the 75HP MJD engine, to give justification in pricing of S Cross DDiS 200.
Old 6th October 2015, 13:52   #315
Senior - BHPian

The 75PS is definitely a downer! But from Maruti point of view it makes sense because they will never be able to justify the 90PS engine on both the Ciaz and Baleno. I feel Maruti is stuck between a rock and a hard place. They should have pulled up their socks for the Ciaz launch and should have given it the 1.6 engine.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks