Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2015, 21:08   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda to develop Brio-based compact SUV

Specs, colors and USP's of BR-V revealed.

The seven-seater SUV measures in at 4,455 mm long, 1,735 mm wide and 1,650 mm tall, with a 2,660 mm-long wheelbase. Other relevant numbers include a 1,500 mm front and rear track, as well as 200+ mm of ground clearance.

At release, for Indonesia,only a single engine choice, the 1.5 litre SOHC i-VTEC four-banger as seen on the City and Jazz, with output numbers being 120 PS at 6,600 pm and 145 Nm at 4,600 rpm.The baseline version is the 1.5L S, which is only available with a six-speed manual transmission. The midline 1.5L E, meanwhile, gets manual or CVT options, while the high-spec 1.5L Prestige will only come with a CVT.

Quote:
All grade variants will ride on 16-inch alloys as standard (dressed with 195/60 series tyres), and general equipment across the range includes projector headlamps, fog lamps, powered side mirrors and double blower air-conditioning. The second-row seats get a one-touch tumble feature, while the third row seats are 50:50 fold-down units.

Standard safety equipment consists of dual airbags, ABS and EBD as well as Isofix mounting points. On the base S, the audio system is made up of a double-DIN head unit, and from the E on a 6.1-inch display audio monitor features.
Honda BR-V: The Brio-based SUV-hondabrvindonesia3.jpg
Honda BR-V: The Brio-based SUV-hondabrvindonesia5.jpg
Honda BR-V: The Brio-based SUV-hondabrvindonesia6850x505.jpg
Honda BR-V: The Brio-based SUV-hondabrvindonesia7850x464.jpg
Honda BR-V: The Brio-based SUV-hondabrvindonesia8850x484.jpg
Honda BR-V: The Brio-based SUV-hondabrvindonesia9850x490.jpg
Honda BR-V: The Brio-based SUV-hondabrvindonesia2850x521.jpg
Honda BR-V: The Brio-based SUV-hondabrvindonesia1850x480.jpg
Honda BR-V: The Brio-based SUV-hondabrvindonesia4850x558.jpg

http://paultan.org/2015/08/21/honda-...even-seat-suv/

Last edited by volkman10 : 21st August 2015 at 21:14.
volkman10 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st August 2015, 21:54   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Brio platform has spawned one hideous looking car after other. Worst platform ever from looks perspective.
kiku007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2015, 22:25   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
Platform sharing on several vehicles in their line up is not something new. Tata has been doing it for ages. On Indica Vista's platform they have built several vehicles now - Vista, Manza, Aria, Bolt and Zest.
Honda is trying to do the same, by capitalizing on the Brio platform.
Aria from the same indica vista platform? This is news to me. Why on earth did TATA test it for so long before launch if its the same platform?

Please share the source/any link that gives this information.
Old 21st August 2015, 22:49   #49
BHPian

I mentioned Aria based on Wikipedia's Tata Aria page where it says it was built on Indica platform. If the information is incorrect please apologize and throw some light on this
Back to the topic - I mentioned Tata's breed of cars as an example to one platform shared with multiple cars - same what Honda doing with Brio platform.
Old 21st August 2015, 23:46   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Aria from the same indica vista platform? This is news to me. Why on earth did TATA test it for so long before launch if its the same platform?

Please share the source/any link that gives this information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
I mentioned Aria based on Wikipedia's Tata Aria page where it says it was built on Indica platform. If the information is incorrect please apologize and throw some light on this
Back to the topic - I mentioned Tata's breed of cars as an example to one platform shared with multiple cars - same what Honda doing with Brio platform.
Best place to know more about Aria is our own Team- bhp review of Aria by GTO.

Aria is based on X2 platform, while Indica Vista is based on X1 platform. Zest and Bolt too are on X1 platform, albeit a revised one.
Old 22nd August 2015, 00:35   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

How will this differ from a Mobilio purpose & looks wise? This clearly looks like a MPV. I think it wouldn't hold a handle to the other compact SUVs on sale today. The rendering (couple of pages back) was smashing, this definitely is not making to my list at any point of time. And looks like Honda improvised on the City alloy wheels.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 22nd August 2015 at 00:36.
Old 22nd August 2015, 11:11   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

A single shot of the BR-V's interior:

RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2015, 12:07   #53
Team-BHP Support

I feel this is a much better effort than the Mobilio. But they kind of spoiled it by making the front end too busy with an overdose of chrome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
One look at these images, and you will know what I am saying. the ungainly curves and creases all-over.
OT: Well, I found these two as relatively better efforts from Honda (along with the Jazz). Infact except for the S-Cross you may find almost all the recent/upcoming SUVs/Cross-overs (say the Creta, new Fortuner, Pajero Sport etc.) as worst designs, but there could be another school of thought which find those as modern designs. Brand affinity also comes into play.

Honda BR-V: The Brio-based SUV-img_0747.jpg

Last edited by vb-saan : 22nd August 2015 at 12:10.
Old 22nd August 2015, 16:49   #54
Senior - BHPian

Honda to develop Brio-based compact SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I feel this is a much better effort than the Mobilio. But they kind of spoiled it by making the front end too busy with an overdose of chrome.
Agree.

I like the design, looks a lot more purposeful than the Mobilio, a bit overdone in places, with the current slabs of chrome norm that every other manufacturer feels looks good.

Only trouble is the length. It looks Aria-ish in that it's too long to be considered as personal transport for a lot of us. Add that it will likely not be as practical our relatively cheap as the Mobilio to take on the Innova, and I don't understand who is their target market.

It looks narrower than it is probably, and that would also be because of its length.
VeluM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2015, 17:27   #55
Senior - BHPian

In one of the posts, there is a picture of the rear and the BR-V looks like a tall boy hatchback from the rear. I hope its just the picture or the angle it's taken at & in reality the car will not look as bad. I really hope so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
A single shot of the BR-V's interior:

[center]Attachment 1406107
Why is that gear lever so tall?!
Old 22nd August 2015, 17:39   #56
BHPian

The problem with BRV is that it's length is way more than the width (plus it doesn't look that tall) and hence that MUV/MPV look. I think in trying to make it a 7 seater they kind of spoilt the look. If it was a tad shorter, it would have looked better. I have always had this fear in 7-seaters about the safety in case someone rear-ended(especially at high speed) as your head is just inches away from the rear glass. So I have never sat in the last row of our innova and make sure as much as possible no one else sits there. Do they even test it in any of the safety standards?
Old 22nd August 2015, 19:21   #57
Senior - BHPian

One of the best designs from Honda; no, let me rephrase that - the best design on the Brio platform ever, with generous proportions. All the things I hated about the Mobilio has been taken care of in this one. Does it come with 3 row AC? If it did and it came with cruise control (yes, spoilt by it in the Lodgy) and 6 speed MT on the diesel (again from Lodgy) this will be a possible upgrade/downgrade in 4 years time for me. Love the fact it's a 7 seater. For the first time, great job Honda!
swiftdiesel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2015, 10:12   #58
BHPian

Also, for the first time, at least one trim with modern safety features like VSA and Hill Start. Hope we get that in their line-up in India (I'm doubtful though, looking at Honda India's track record).

Slightly OT, but I am unhappy with the trend of having only one trim with these safety features- even if you want to pay for it in another trim level.
- EcoSport has it in the 1.5 P AT- bad luck if you want it in a manual
- Creta has it in the top-spec manual- the only reason why I did not buy the Creta AT
- Figo Aspire- again, only in the 1.5 AT

C'mon guys, you have a 6-8 trims in every model, between 2 fuel and 2 transmission options. How much extra effort is it to line up a "safety pack" option to it?
Contrapunto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2015, 13:28   #59
BHPian

In the Interior Design images form volkman10's post, they have shown the Old Jazz/City steering wheel. I think for India they should get rid of as many things related to Brio as possible including the steering wheel and the letter B in BRV. Call it whatever funny name you want but remove as much as Brio as possible.

Yes and please avoid that overdose of chrome in front and rear. May be you can add some cladding on the flat sides to make it look a little muscular.

Last edited by naikameya : 23rd August 2015 at 13:30.
naikameya is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2015, 16:15   #60
BANNED

I was very excited by the concept car-like sketches of BRV. But the end result is not exciting. Why do manufacturers water down their cars from concept to reality so much? If Honda had continued the high-bonnet line all the way to the back along the sides, we would have had another Range Rover Evoque. But no, they just had to lower the window-line for bigger glasses, marring the over-all look completely. The result is, front looks smashing, side looks like MPV and rear again is bad. I hope the car will look better in real in real than in pics.

Last edited by pgsagar : 23rd August 2015 at 16:17. Reason: spelling mistake
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks