Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2017, 16:43   #991
BHPian

Re: The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
I have a couple of questions for the Verna owners
I should be getting the number plates from the showroom today
I understand what you're getting at, here. Is yours Petrol or Diesel?
Mine is a Petrol, and yes the Verna does seem very eager to move off from a standstill. Just releasing the clutch with no throttle input sees you getting to 10kph. If I'm not wrong, this is because of more than enough torque being available at that rpm.
Don't worry, like OSH said as long as you're not half-clutching you should be okay. In traffic, I tend to release the clutch and depress it again fully, and use that momentum. You shouldn't hold it at the biting point for too long.
On flyovers, etc. though, there's no other option. You have to half-clutch to prevent it stalling. I have stalled it numerous times in the early days, in these situations, trying to avoid half-clutching.
Rohan24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2017, 19:27   #992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Could you tell us how much difference there is in OTR pricing between the 2 in your city?

Unless you need the SUV stance, I guess the Verna offers more value and might be better to drive.

It is 17.47 lacs for creta and 15.28 lacs for verna. A difference of 2.2 lacs. I think I will go with Verna. I need to do one more test drive for a longer distance once before I close the deal
mudhasir is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2017, 12:17   #993
BHPian

Hey guys, I'm planning to buy a new car and I'm confused between the City and the Verna. It might be a bit silly, but I'm looking at either City Petrol or the Verna Diesel. As funny as it sounds, I know that first I've got to choose between petrol or diesel. The thing is, my monthly running will generally be very less at around 500kms max. I've driven the city petrol and I was greatly impressed with it and I have never tried the Verna diesel. So, in terms of outright performance, which one would you guys prefer? Also, I'm not looking at top end variants. I'm looking at the base variants of both the cars since they both come with two airbags at front (It will only be me driving alone most of the time). So, with City, I save about 1lac over the Verna Diesel base variant and I like the looks of both the cars. Hence the confusion.
Old 18th October 2017, 13:02   #994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satz581993Mille View Post
So, in terms of outright performance, which one would you guys prefer?
I drove the Vernal Diesel and City Petrol back-to-back last weekend.

In terms of outright performance, from my personal experience, the Verna diesel trumps the City petrol any day. Its an absolute rocket and put a huge grin on my face when I experienced the sheer torque and power of the Verna! The iVtec on the City is a gem of an engine and the City petrol is a fast car in its own rights. But I drove the City petrol after the Verna diesel, on the exact same route and it felt "slow" in comparison! I'm not exaggerating and I'd request you to do a similar back-to-back comparison as well.

I think the key here is the 260 Nm of torque that's produced by the Verna diesel and the almost non-existent turbo lag of this engine. The City petrol has modest torque figures in comparison. That's expected when you compare a diesel and petrol engine, but the lack of turbo-lag really makes the Verna a hoot to drive!

I felt the City has the heavier steering out of the two cars but the Verna's steering seemed to be more responsive. The roads were mostly smooth so can't say much about the ride as they felt similar.

In terms of the other aspects of these two cars, I felt the Verna's cabin is far superior albeit a bit understated in comparison to the more funky cabin in the City. The only advantages the City has I'd say is the ability to seat 5 in the car, which might be more challenging on the Verna and the fact that the leg-room at the rear on the City is just massive. Having said that, I felt Verna's seats are firmer than those on the City and should be more comfortable on long journeys. The Verna is very well priced for what it offers and in my opinion offers more value than the City. I'd pick the Verna over the City (and the rest) if I were in the market to buy a car in this segment.

But yes, you should take a test drive of both cars as some of these points I have discussed might differ from person to person, depending on how an individual perceives them!
red.devil_19 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th October 2017, 19:32   #995
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys, I'm planning to buy a new car and I'm confused between the City and the Verna.

As funny as it sounds, I know that first I've got to choose between petrol or diesel. The thing is, my monthly running will generally be very less at around 500kms max.

So, in terms of outright performance, which one would you guys prefer?

So, with City, I save about 1lac over the Verna Diesel base variant and I like the looks of both the cars. Hence the confusion.
You're looking at it from the wrong angle, I think. Thats why you're comparing a Diesel and Petrol car. You should first try to define what TYPE of performance you want/need. That in turn depends on where you drive your cars mostly, in city or the highway and where you want it to shine more. Also depends how you see the cost factor, among other things.

With respect to cost factor, the City i-vtec has three major advantages in your scenario. It costs less to buy, lesser to maintain than a diesel, generally speaking, and with your monthly mileage numbers, a petrol is any day a smarter choice.

Diesel engines have more torque as a result of the inherent way in which they function and mostly at lower rpms. So that slug of force might be addictive for you. This works for your Verna diesel choice. Again, if ripping at high revs on the highways is your thing and you like the smoothness of a petrol, you will have more fun with any Honda/i-vtec (and not just the City) with more linear and spaced out power with a wider powerband. All depends where and how you need to have your power. You have not mentioned that detail.

All in all, considering all your requirements, I still think the Honda makes more sense. Hope this helps
:thumbup:
pixantz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th October 2017, 21:11   #996
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
All in all, considering all your requirements, I still think the Honda makes more sense. Hope this helps
:thumbup:

Thanks for your inputs pixantz. I agree that the Honda makes more sense. And ya, I'll generally be driving on the city but I do drive on the highways pretty frequently that's where I would want the car to shine. I really like the look of the city over the Verna to be honest. But, everyone says the diesel version of the verna is very refined and the torque is quite impressive.

Another note, I've always driven petrol cars. I currently drive a swift petrol (daily driver) and also drive a Ford ecosport (ecoboost) engine in my house. And I'm in search for a replacement for my swift. I really really like driving the Swift. 🙂

Quote:
Originally Posted by red.devil_19 View Post

In terms of outright performance, from my personal experience, the Verna diesel trumps the City petrol any day. Its an absolute rocket and put a huge grin on my face when I experienced the sheer torque and power of the Verna! The iVtec on the City is a gem of an engine and the City petrol is a fast car in its own rights. But I drove the City petrol after the Verna diesel, on the exact same route and it felt "slow" in comparison! I'm not exaggerating and I'd request you to do a similar back-to-back comparison as well.

Thank you so much. I'll surely test drive them both soon. Did you feel the city to be slow because of the lack of turbo kick? Or was it slower overall in acceleration and higher speeds?
Old 20th October 2017, 10:47   #997
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you so much. I'll surely test drive them both soon. Did you feel the city to be slow because of the lack of turbo kick? Or was it slower overall in acceleration and higher speeds?
I'll give you some idea of how the Verna diesel felt like in comparison to a few other diesel cars I have driven. I have experience of driving the old Swift DDIS and the old Figo diesel. There was a clear noticeable lag, followed by the rush of torque when the turbo kicked in, on both these cars.

However, on the Verna it did not feel as if there was a particular moment at which the turbo kicks in. The acceleration was quick and the power/torque delivery felt linear. You push the accelerator down and the car accelerates immediately without hesitation.

So yes, to answer your question, the overall acceleration felt much quicker than on the City petrol.
red.devil_19 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2017, 11:58   #998
BHPian

Quote:
how the Verna diesel felt like in comparison to a few other diesel cars I have driven.
No offense sir, but you have been comparing the new Verna to the wrong cars. The result is bound to be lopsided. You can't compare with just about any car you get your hands on. No?

To get a better picture and more fair "comparison" test of your style I'd strongly suggest even adding an Octavia (diesel, if you may) and/or a Jetta 2.0 to the mix and reevaluating your results. If you can compare a Swift to a Verna then an Octavia also stands a fair chance. You might come off surprised at the results, I tell you. Have fun.
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2017, 11:59   #999
BHPian

Quote:
So yes, to answer your question, the overall acceleration felt much quicker than on the City petrol.
That greatly helps. Thanks! I'll soon be test driving them both back to back. I'm inclined towards the Verna diesel base version.
satz581993Mille is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2017, 12:55   #1000
BHPian

Fellow BHPians, I have a query about IDV of new vehicles. Is there any general guidance/norms around the percentage of OTR value that will be considered as IDV of a new vehicle? I was looking for quotes for my yet to be delivered Verna 1.6D SX+ AT and was surprised to see IDV in the range of 8 to 10 Lakhs. Surprised because I thought for new vehicles IDV will be closer to the OTR price.

So, for a vehicle costing 15.5L OTR (excluding insurance in Bangalore) is it norm to have IDV in 8L to 10L range?
Is there any advantages/disadvantages in keeping lower IDV?

Tata AIG gives the option to set a value 25% higher than standard IDV (9.7L) which adds up to 12.13L.

Also most insurance sites including Policy Bazaar is not updated with 2017 Verna's models/variants. Can someone who own a 1.6D SX+ AT share a copy of insurance (hiding confidential information) to understand the variant details (make and model) and other specifics which will greatly help me in proceeding further. Thank you.
Old 20th October 2017, 12:56   #1001
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
No offense sir, but you have been comparing the new Verna to the wrong cars. The result is bound to be lopsided. You can't compare with just about any car you get your hands on. No?

To get a better picture and more fair "comparison" test of your style I'd strongly suggest even adding an Octavia (diesel, if you may) and/or a Jetta 2.0 to the mix and reevaluating your results. If you can compare a Swift to a Verna then an Octavia also stands a fair chance. You might come off surprised at the results, I tell you. Have fun.
I appreciate what you're saying but you've completely misunderstood my point. I have clearly mentioned in the post that I shall talk about some of the other diesel cars I have driven to give an idea of how the turbo lag or lack of it feels on the Verna. I have driven petrol cars all my life. Driving diesel cars have been limited to vehicles hired for self drive. No, I have never driven more powerful cars like Octavia diesel to be able to comment on it. I'm sure you have driven the Octavia extensively and perhaps would be able to say how much better it is than the Verna! Next time maybe I'll put a "disclaimer" in bold, so that it's easy to not miss the context of my post!

That said, I can compare whichever cars I want to based on my experience of driving cars, especially when we're talking about a very specific parameter like turbo kick, which is a highlight of diesel engines. According to you, comparing City petrol and Verna diesel itself is wrong. I agree to a certain extent but please read the original query posted by satz581993Mille. He's clearly made his mind up that he has a choice between the City petrol & the Verna diesel and the reason for this is both cars are powerful and fun to drive. For 500kms of monthly use, its a no-brainer that one must buy a petrol car; its literally a cliche! But his priority is driving pleasure and be it diesel or petrol, it finally comes down to whichever car he thinks is going to satisfy his requirement of being the more fun to drive. I've stated, personally I'd pick the Verna diesel over the City petrol when it comes to driving pleasure while mentioning at the same time, that he must take back-to-back test drives of both cars before making a final decision.

I have replied to his query based on his requirements and my driving experience. I see absolutely nothing wrong in it. I share my views on team-bhp to the best of my knowledge. I'm not here to school people on whether they're right or wrong on their choice of cars.
red.devil_19 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2017, 13:35   #1002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Factor View Post
Fellow BHPians, I have a query about IDV of new vehicles. Is there any general guidance/norms around the percentage of OTR value that will be considered as IDV of a new vehicle? I was looking for quotes for my yet to be delivered Verna 1.6D SX+ AT and was surprised to see IDV in the range of 8 to 10 Lakhs. Surprised because I thought for new vehicles IDV will be closer to the OTR price.

So, for a vehicle costing 15.5L OTR (excluding insurance in Bangalore) is it norm to have IDV in 8L to 10L range?
Is there any advantages/disadvantages in keeping lower IDV?

Tata AIG gives the option to set a value 25% higher than standard IDV (9.7L) which adds up to 12.13L.

Also most insurance sites including Policy Bazaar is not updated with 2017 Verna's models/variants. Can someone who own a 1.6D SX+ AT share a copy of insurance (hiding confidential information) to understand the variant details (make and model) and other specifics which will greatly help me in proceeding further. Thank you.
That sounds wrong. The IDV for a new car should be 95% of your OTR price and what you are quoting sounds way too low.
pathik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2017, 14:14   #1003
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathik View Post
That sounds wrong. The IDV for a new car should be 95% of your OTR price and what you are quoting sounds way too low.
Erm, perhaps you want to say "95% of the ex-showroom price of the vehicle".
Old 20th October 2017, 16:40   #1004
BHPian

Quote:
I appreciate what you're saying but you've completely misunderstood my point. I have clearly mentioned in the post that I shall talk about some of the other diesel cars I have driven to give an idea of how the turbo lag or lack of it feels on the Verna. I have driven petrol cars all my life. Driving diesel cars have been limited to vehicles hired for self drive. No, I have never driven more powerful cars like Octavia diesel to be able to comment on it. I'm sure you have driven the Octavia extensively and perhaps would be able to say how much better it is than the Verna! Next time maybe I'll put a "disclaimer" in bold, so that it's easy to not miss the context of my post!

That said, I can compare whichever cars I want to based on my experience of driving cars, especially when we're talking about a very specific parameter like turbo kick, which is a highlight of diesel engines. According to you, comparing City petrol and Verna diesel itself is wrong. I agree to a certain extent but please read the original query posted by satz581993Mille. He's clearly made his mind up that he has a choice between the City petrol & the Verna diesel and the reason for this is both cars are powerful and fun to drive. For 500kms of monthly use, its a no-brainer that one must buy a petrol car; its literally a cliche! But his priority is driving pleasure and be it diesel or petrol, it finally comes down to whichever car he thinks is going to satisfy his requirement of being the more fun to drive. I've stated, personally I'd pick the Verna diesel over the City petrol when it comes to driving pleasure while mentioning at the same time, that he must take back-to-back test drives of both cars before making a final decision.

I have replied to his query based on his requirements and my driving experience. I see absolutely nothing wrong in it. I share my views on team-bhp to the best of my knowledge. I'm not here to school people on whether they're right or wrong on their choice of cars.
Hi,

I have verna sx(o) 2014 model. During registration i verified that IDV is 100% ex showroom value. Not on road value. Not sure if there are any changes in rules currently. but it cannot be on road price as registration charges are not covered under insurance. Hope this helps.
Old 20th October 2017, 21:39   #1005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by actinium15 View Post
Erm, perhaps you want to say "95% of the ex-showroom price of the vehicle".
Oops. My bad. I indeed meant ex-showroom.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed