Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2017, 21:18   #691
BHPian

Re: The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi

Had checked out the new verna petrol at calicut, exterior fit and finish is top class, paint quality is very good. Interior lacks any wow factor though is made of very good quality materials that we have come to expect of a hyundai. the interior space though is not very much, at 6'2" my head just had an inch of clearence with driver seat at highest setting. low back support is decent, front passenger seat which cannot be adjusted for height was a tad low for comfort. Rear seat is smallish and the coupe roofline scrapes my head. legroom in my i20 with driver seat set to my comfort offered 3-4 cm of more space. the ventilated seats have a tough plastic backing rather than usual scooped uprear of front seats which eat up 3-4 cms of space and feel hard against your knees.

The petrol was very refined to drive,decent low and mid range torque for a petrol, didn't get empty road to check out top end though 120 horses dont make their presence felt in the city speeds. 6th gear is a welcome one and can trundle at 50kmph. Brakes could have been better and lack initial bite.Steering is too light below 40 kmph and weighs up well afterwards. The ride was a little stiff at low speeds we drove, tyre and road noise are not exceptionally kept out.

The new touch screen has good readability and is quite tilted towards the driver. sound felt decent over FM. Rear camera quality is good and necessary, given the limited view from mirror. OTR for petrol manual sx in calicut is 10.6 lacs which is a very good value for money.
Delivery period expected is 25 days approx, by then the extra GST cess would mostly kick in.This particular dealer had 41 bookings and had pre ordered 15 white full option diesel and petrols which are almost all snapped up. Dont understand the people over here who buy 80% of cars in white color. Asked about the new orange color and sales guy gave me weird look.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 29th August 2017 at 14:09. Reason: edited for better readability
aditya116 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2017, 13:42   #692
BHPian

Went for a extended test drive today of SxO Diesel Manual Nex Gen Verna after finishing my loan agreement procedures.

Points to note :

1. The rear leg room is not as bad as it is made out to be. I am 5ft 7 inches and i have a disproportionate inseam 85.7cms so fairly long legged. I adjusted the front seat to my driving position and sat at the back and i was comfortable. No shin rubbing at all. Though the rear leg room is not bad it is definitely not in ciaz or city league.

Enclosing a few pic with me sitting

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-1503993876714.jpg

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-1503993898652.jpg

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-1503993913307.jpg

2. The Diesel motor refinement and NVH is so good that you don't even hear a small clatter ot vibration Until you touch 110kmph.

3. The gear ratios have been configured in such a way that it is a breeze to drive inside city too. There is a negligible turbolag but the car comes to life at 1500rpm and the torque is quite evident. I was able to slot 6th gear at 55kmph speed without engine lugging.

4. There is no light in cooled glove box. Small card holder present. The front arm rest has a storage under it not a cooled one like XUV500 though. Rubber lined Cooler holder present behind map lights in front

5. Had a chance to tweak the sound system. The Bass is quite good and so are the tones. Better than a average ICE which got me smiling, although no CD player. Car is able to play what ever format you throw up.

7. The steering is little light till 40kmph speed and gradually weighs up. Feedback is decent though but not in league of Linea.

8. No Boat ride finally. Car was at ease to take on the potholes.

9. Only passenger side vanity mirror no light in vanity mirror. Clip for toll receipts​ only on passenger side.

10. Sunlight legibility and angle of view is so good in AVN setup. So much better than i20 and Creta. Its clear even is extreme angles

Few more random pics

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-1503993971832.jpg
Bottle holder can hold 1 liter bottles

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-1503993993883.jpg
Inside the Hood

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-1503994015596.jpg
Comes with Amaron battery

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-1503994083068.jpg
Projector fogs

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-1503994105212.jpg
Cornering lamps

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-1503994140623.jpg
Wide Air intake from cascade grill

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-1503994182715.jpg
Big enough ORVM

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-1503994219432.jpg
Cubby hole for mobile with 1 USB linked to ICE, 1 another for only mobile charging at 2Amp and Another a laptop charger. There is a charging USB port on rear too below rear AC vent but it is in a inconvenient position.

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-1503994302141.jpg
Marking on tyres

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-1503994327358.jpg
Hankook tyres

Last edited by drashkum : 29th August 2017 at 14:11.
drashkum is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 29th August 2017, 14:06   #693
Senior - BHPian

Took a back to drive of the new Verna and City. I have the 2017 City and am used to the car so it gave me a chance if I get a better feel while driving the new petrol Verna. Below are my observations.

1. The front seats of the City have better bolstering.
2. Space is much much more in the city. Verna in terms of width of the rear seat looks much smaller than it actually is but still less than the City.
3. Ride of the Verna much better in city drives, owing to a softer suspension and therefore flattens out minor undulations.
4. NVH levels of the Verna way better than the city.
5. The punchy nature of the Verna Petrol engine can be felt, however the gear ratios are short, maybe because they had to add a 6th gear. This would lead to more gear changes than the city. I would anyday have more fun to redline the city than the Verna.
6. Interior quality much better than City however I guess the ones in the city looks better.
7. The AVN screen though is 7 inch, looks much smaller than the city for some reason. Sound in the City is better thanks to all 4 being components. However the biggest advantage in the Verna is Apple Car Play, Android Auto in addition to Mirror Link. Hopefully the rumors that both will be added as an update in the Honda is true, since the system is capable of it.
8. Steering of the Verna looks busy but is nice in terms of looks. Still very light for my liking, however it is not vague as before.
9. Could not understand any difference with the Ventilated seats. Am sure the difference would be evident during longer durations.

All in all a great product from Hyundai and if it was released earlier I would have given it consideration. However saying that, I would have still bought the city thanks to the iVtec, a stiffer suspension and a much higher resale ( which is important for me since I tend to change my cars every 3 years).

If you are in the market for a Diesel there is no case for the city. It's a fight between the Verna, Rapid and VW.

Last edited by Altocumulus : 29th August 2017 at 14:29.
Altocumulus is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th August 2017, 16:28   #694
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drashkum View Post
Went for a extended test drive today of SxO Diesel Manual Nex Gen Verna after finishing my loan agreement procedures.

Points to note :

1. The rear leg room is not as bad as it is made out to be. I am 5ft 7 inches and i have a disproportionate inseam 85.7cms so fairly long legged. I adjusted the front seat to my driving position and sat at the back and i was comfortable. No shin rubbing at all. Though the rear leg room is not bad it is definitely not in ciaz or city league.

Enclosing a few pic with me sitting

Attachment 1670589

Attachment 1670590

Attachment 1670591

i agree i am 5'9 and the leg space is still fine scooped seats should have helped, but the cabin does feel claustrophobic at the rear, i wonder how but it feels a little claustrophobic even from driver's seat to me.
Old 29th August 2017, 22:49   #695
BHPian

Some good news finally. As per my SA i will most likely get a delivery in first week of september. I am among first 10 people in chennai to get the next gen verna. I hope others too who have booked has got a word from the dealer on delivery. I am pushing him to give delivery on 3rd september if possible as it is a auspicious day.

And as per their statistics they have crossed 18000 booking as on date. The price protection is only for 2000 people more.

Last edited by drashkum : 29th August 2017 at 22:53.
drashkum is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 13:46   #696
BHPian

18000 bookings for a car that barely manages 1000 units a month seems far fetched. Seems like a ploy to get customers to pre-pone their bookings.

In any case, Hyundai missed a trick in not pricing their cars by 50K and getting closer to the Ciaz. That could have been a temporary move to get to the top of the charts for half a year and then bump up prices

Quote:
Some good news finally. As per my SA i will most likely get a delivery in first week of september. I am among first 10 people in chennai to get the next gen verna. I hope others too who have booked has got a word from the dealer on delivery. I am pushing him to give delivery on 3rd september if possible as it is a auspicious day.

And as per their statistics they have crossed 18000 booking as on date. The price protection is only for 2000 people more.
bhpfaninblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 14:17   #697
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
In any case, Hyundai missed a trick in not pricing their cars by 50K and getting closer to the Ciaz. That could have been a temporary move to get to the top of the charts for half a year and then bump up prices
Not required really. Ciaz is at the budget end of the segment. Honda and VW are at the premium end, as perceived by the market. Hyundai has done well taking the middle route that might appeal to both of these.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 14:28   #698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Not required really. Ciaz is at the budget end of the segment. Honda and VW are at the premium end, as perceived by the market. Hyundai has done well taking the middle route that might appeal to both of these.
Exactly. If you have seen the other thread Hyundai is in no mood to compete with MSIL. They are happy being second. They did take the middle ground in pricing and have priced the product aptly taking the competition head on with the City which can garner them atleast 4000 cars per month sales. I don't think it is possible to price the cars 50k lower given the features they are loaded with. They have actually matched the City Variant by variant undercutting Citys price by 50k.

On the 18000 booking it. Could be a ploy but it is of no use in telling that to me as i have already booked and finished my loan.

Last edited by drashkum : 30th August 2017 at 14:36.
Old 30th August 2017, 17:37   #699
BHPian

Overdrive review is out and once again it confirms that this is a mini Elantra and not a new Verna.

Old 30th August 2017, 18:05   #700

Congrats drashkum !!!
Did your dealer share Chassis/VIN no ?
As per my understanding they cant do invoicing and allotment without Chassis/ VIN no.

my salesperson says they will get Chassis/VIN after Sept 5th and invoicing is possible only after that , am afraid if the prices will go up when i take delivery.

wondering if the price protection is applicable for first 20000 bookings or for first 20000 customers who take delivery

Quote:

Old 30th August 2017, 18:18   #701
BHPian

Just Now I got a call From Hyundai Sales team as I have registered a complaint on One of the Dealers in AP regarding the mandatory insurance to be purchased from them for the New Verna. They assured me that they will resolve this and out of curiosity I have asked him regarding the Price Protection for first 20000 Verna bookings in case of GST Hike, Sales Team from Hyundai clearly said there will be NO PRICE PROTECTION IN CASE OF GST HIKE, as the taxes are hiked by government and Hyundai dealership has confirmed the same (price on delivery date is applicable).

If this is true, Hyundai needs to refer to Oxford Dictionary to understand the term "Price Protection".

Experts, Please help if you have heard of same as I need to cancel my booking and look for another sedan before Government hikes GST.
Old 30th August 2017, 18:55   #702
BHPian

Nikhs, there is a discussion going on in another thread about GST cess and as per that the hike to take effect might take atleast one month.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170305
Old 30th August 2017, 19:01   #703
BHPian

Price protection is from the Hyundai Company, the ex-showroom price. This is just a marketing gimmick and any increase later on will be offset with discounts.

Any govt. levies, applicable at the time of delivery has to be borne by the Customer. This is the norm in all forms of agreements. Companies, all over the world never take responsibility of govt. levies, as it's not under their control.

But, in other countries taxes or govt. levies are not tinkered every now and then. A minimum of 1-2 years of time is given before any policy change becomes law. Don't expect this to happen with our current govt. where changes are happening on monthly or weekly basis. During Demon it happened on daily basis and once, changes were made twice in One day.

Regarding your purchase, the first batch of deliveries may start only in October. If you really like the Car, go ahead. But, if your second choice looks tempting and the Car is available with the Dealer, then grab it.
Old 30th August 2017, 20:25   #704
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshwiz07 View Post
Congrats drashkum !!!
Did your dealer share Chassis/VIN no ?
As per my understanding they cant do invoicing and allotment without Chassis/ VIN no.

my salesperson says they will get Chassis/VIN after Sept 5th and invoicing is possible only after that , am afraid if the prices will go up when i take delivery.
I think it is relatively safe to assume no hike until at-least 9th September. It could be any day post that. Luckily I have already received Chassis/VIN of the car allotted to me and invoicing was done yesterday.

Quote:
wondering if the price protection is applicable for first 20000 bookings or for first 20000 customers who take delivery
I believe it will be for the first 20000 invoices generated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhs View Post
Just Now I got a call From Hyundai Sales team as I have registered a complaint on One of the Dealers in AP regarding the mandatory insurance to be purchased from them for the New Verna. They assured me that they will resolve this and out of curiosity I have asked him regarding the Price Protection for first 20000 Verna bookings in case of GST Hike, Sales Team from Hyundai clearly said there will be NO PRICE PROTECTION IN CASE OF GST HIKE, as the taxes are hiked by government and Hyundai dealership has confirmed the same (price on delivery date is applicable).

If this is true, Hyundai needs to refer to Oxford Dictionary to understand the term "Price Protection".

Experts, Please help if you have heard of same as I need to cancel my booking and look for another sedan before Government hikes GST.
To be honest, I never took it for them taking the burden of additional taxes/levies if Govt changes some rules overnight. Price protection most certainly does not provide protection against GST Cess Hike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
Regarding your purchase, the first batch of deliveries may start only in October. If you really like the Car, go ahead. But, if your second choice looks tempting and the Car is available with the Dealer, then grab it.
First batch of deliveries have already begun. I am going to get mine around 10th of September.
pathik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 20:46   #705

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathik View Post
I think it is relatively safe to assume no hike until at-least 9th September. It could be any day post that. Luckily I have already received Chassis/VIN of the car allotted to me and invoicing was done yesterday.

I believe it will be for the first 20000 invoices generated.
Congrats pathik!!!
So what if the vehicle is invoiced before GST cess increase ? Will I be shielded from price hike ?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks