Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2017, 13:14   #601
BHPian

Re: The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi

Is there a hp limit for different car classes in India? The US Hyundai Accent engine produces around 138bhp and 166nm torque so I was wondering why it has been lowered for Verna in India to under 130.
Old 24th August 2017, 13:18   #602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscience View Post
My reason for buying diesel cars is very simple
Lets say a car is offered with 2 petrol engine options with a regular one and other powerful and much more fun to drive engine with a turbo charger with much more torque available from low down and midrange (which is what everyone uses most of the times) and not needing to revv it and work hard to extract the power , i will most definitely go with the latter while happily paying a lakh for the performance offered.

Now if that engine runs on a cheaper fuel (Diesel) , and even with all that performance offers significantly more fuel economy and keeps your day to day costs low , and even when selling you will fetch significantly more money than petrol ones (atleast 60k - 1 lakh more) , it makes a highly irresistible deal and the reason most cars i and my near family and friends all own diesel cars.
I was even willing to pay more if it was not offering higher fuel economy and it running on a cheaper fuel and sell for more money, but since it does all that , it is a no brainer for me.
My choices were odd nonetheless. No one compares two different transmissions with 2 different fuel type cars. But the difference in price was just Rs.20000. I had to give in to the temptation because of the below pricing.

SxO Manual CRDi was 1493000 and SxO Auto VTVT was 1473000.

So i had to compare weirdest of choices. If only had Hyundai priced the Diesel manual 50k to 75k higher than SxO Auto Petrol or given me a SxO Auto CRDi, the choice making would have been straight shot.

Last edited by drashkum : 24th August 2017 at 13:19.
Old 24th August 2017, 13:28   #603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
His seems to be impressed by the ride quality, interior quality and the gearbox which is a such a good sign. Got to see the DRL and tail lights in action, they look sweet.
As per him Leg room isn't in the class of the City and Ciaz. I wonder what the reviewer's height is. Now the wait for a detailed review from T-BHP and other blogs begins.
I sat in the Nex Gen Verna (SX(O) manual) in Trident Hyundai Domlur, Blore.

The rear leg room is very, very cramped. City and Ciaz beat it by miles in this aspect! But rest of the features looked top class. Visually, the unladen GC looked adequate too, though I don't know the specific value.

Of course, I have no idea about the ride/handling, wasn't able to TD it.
Old 24th August 2017, 13:35   #604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drashkum View Post
My choices were odd nonetheless. No one compares two different transmissions with 2 different fuel type cars. But the difference in price was just Rs.20000. I had to give in to the temptation because of the below pricing.

SxO Manual CRDi was 1493000 and SxO Auto VTVT was 1473000.

So i had to compare weirdest of choices. If only had Hyundai priced the Diesel manual 50k to 75k higher than SxO Auto Petrol or given me a SxO Auto CRDi, the choice making would have been straight shot.
In my experience , the bells and whistles although obviously nice to have, the excitement and usefulness all wears off and gives little joy in the long run if the car itself is not exciting to drive.
What i mean is i had i20 Petrol Sportz once , it had automatic climate control ,electric foldable mirrors, leather steering, just about everything you could want in a hatchback, yet it gave me no joy to drive and i frankly enjoyed driving my brother's Swift diesel (1st gen) at that time much more and it had none of those features.
What i mean is in a perfect world and when money is not an issue a powerful and enjoyable car with lots of features is obviously good to have but when compromises have to be made , i'll say they should be made with not so necessary features (like sunroof , push button start and all) and not the engine and the whole driving experience.
I'd say if you really want an automatic , do consider the diesel SX+ variant and make your call after extensively test driving both of them.
In my Creta too i do miss quite a few things from the Cruze but Cruise control, push button start and sunroof are not among them.

Going a little Apart from cars i'am also into mobile phones , gadgets in general and i take audio equipment and all the related stuff very seriously but when i took the test drive of compass and someone asked me how the touchscreen system or the sound was i had no idea because i never even bothered even checking it , because to me in a car that does'nt matter and definitely not something in my list of factors to go with a car.
I'am building a proper home theater at my place with a sweet audio system and great projection because i do care a great deal about all that and movies and the entire experience , but in a car it does'nt matter at all to me , if audio system is great , fine , if not i'll get the speakers and all replaced to something decent and i'am good to go.

Last edited by Rocketscience : 24th August 2017 at 13:46.
Rocketscience is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th August 2017, 13:39   #605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
I sat in the Nex Gen Verna (SX(O) manual) in Trident Hyundai Domlur, Blore.

The rear leg room is very, very cramped. City and Ciaz beat it by miles in this aspect! But rest of the features looked top class. Visually, the unladen GC looked adequate too, though I don't know the specific value.

Of course, I have no idea about the ride/handling, wasn't able to TD it.
170mm is unladen GC. I saw in dealers TV display yesterday. Will try to get a screen grab if possible from my SA
Old 24th August 2017, 14:30   #606
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscience View Post
In my experience , the bells and whistles although obviously nice to have, the excitement and usefulness all wears off and gives little joy in the long run if the car itself is not exciting to drive.
What i mean is i had i20 Petrol Sportz once , it had automatic climate control ,electric foldable mirrors, leather steering, just about everything you could want in a hatchback, yet it gave me no joy to drive and i frankly enjoyed driving my brother's Swift diesel (1st gen) at that time much more and it had none of those features.
What i mean is in a perfect world and when money is not an issue a powerful and enjoyable car with lots of features is obviously good to have but when compromises have to be made , i'll say they should be made with not so necessary features (like sunroof , push button start and all) and not the engine and the whole driving experience.
I'd say if you really want an automatic , do consider the diesel SX+ variant and make your call after extensively test driving both of them.
In my Creta too i do miss quite a few things from the Cruze but Cruise control, push button start and sunroof are not among them.

I totally agree with you, for me the only tech feature of matter is bluetooth audio streaming and calling as i take lot of office calls during transit. I have a linea MJD and i wish T-jet came a lot earlier and with automatic, as i drive mostly in the city the only thing i use often is bluetooth in tech and i miss power. Ventilated seats were never a cause of concern even being in NCR, i don't think even Corolla gets them. If you have good perforated seats and a good AC i think that works. Rest are all good to have features, may be its my lack of knowledge but i use a smart watch and i really do not see why i need android auto except being on a long drive.

Although i booked the Verna i am still waiting for a TD of Petrol version before finalizing. Lack of rear seat space, smaller boot, low GC and no telescopic steering is kind of pushing me to cancel the booking but i will wait for the TD before taking the final decision.
Mindgrinder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2017, 14:53   #607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karooo View Post
Is there a hp limit for different car classes in India? The US Hyundai Accent engine produces around 138bhp and 166nm torque so I was wondering why it has been lowered for Verna in India to under 130.

That is because, in US, Hyundai's 1.6 Petrol is equipped with Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI).

Direct Injection in Petrol Engines aids both Power & Efficiency.
abhishek46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2017, 15:03   #608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drashkum View Post
the difference in price between the two options SxO Auto Petrol and SxO manual diesel is only Rs.20000, i am confused.
Leaving aside the petrol/diesel differences. For the same price I'd take the automatic anyday.
Old 24th August 2017, 16:04   #609
BHPian

In Two Minds: Verna 2017 or Honda City 2017

Hello folks

Till 24 hours back, I was all set to pick up the Honda CITY VX CVT. The high points were:
- The luxurious cabin
- Loaded features
- Legendary Honda reliability
- Low maintenance costs
- Refined transmission
- Decent average

But then, I test-drove the new VERNA.
- It has amazing looks, both the front as well as the rear.
- It drove very well - perhaps the roads were smoother, but i thought its ride quality and suspension was better than that offered by the City
- Power and pick-up is better than the City, thanks to the extra 100cc it sports.
- In terms of features, it has ventilated seats and is decently more loaded than the comparable model of the City.

And now, I am in two minds. Logically, I tell myself to go for the Honda for its proven refinement, but somewhere, my heart is seeking the Verna to for the pep and great exteriors it offered me. Not to mention that it will give me most features of the City for a good Rs 1.3-1.5L less.

Would be grateful to have your advise. I intend to keep my new car with me for at least 5-7 years.

Cheers,
Ajay
AjayJohri is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th August 2017, 16:15   #610
BHPian

On-road impressions of the New Verna.
Jagatvir is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2017, 17:11   #611
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
That is because, in US, Hyundai's 1.6 Petrol is equipped with Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI).

Direct Injection in Petrol Engines aids both Power & Efficiency.
Thank you, I didn't know that. I wish to see more cars with powerful engines in this class. Not gonna happen anytime soon I guess.

---

The new Verna looks so good at night especially the interior ambience with cool blue light buttons in the steering wheel and centre console.
Karooo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2017, 17:13   #612
Senior - BHPian

Many members often claim that Hyundai's Petrol Engines are inferior to Honda's in terms of performance. This is not correct in case of 1.6L Petrol which is faster than Honda's 1.5L.

Refer below link to 2018 Honda Fit (Jazz in India) with 1.5L Petrol Engine in us by Motor Trend mag:
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/honda...-drive-review/

Excerpts:
Quote:
The engine, however, still makes the same 130 hp and 114 lb-ft of torque. That's not enough to make it especially quick, but it's only slightly less than some of the more powerful cars in the segment such as the 138-hp Chevrolet Sonic and the 137-hp Hyundai Accent.
Even Indian Auto Mag (Autox) found the outgoing Verna (with boat like handling) fastest in BIC, courtesy the fatter tires & slightly more power.

As per ARAI rating the mileage difference between is negligible, but what is important that Verna has fatter tires over Honda City. Moreover, the build is far better (ex-Hyundai owner) in Hyundais over Hondas.

Yes the Honda is spacious at the back, but how much that matters for an Executive car (owned 30-40 yrs old buyer in a nuclear family).

The Diesel is in different leagues altogether, plus this is a new model. I would suggest that one make informed judgement based on above parameters.

Disclaimer: I have no interest in Hyundai or Honda, except I missed buying either last time due to parking crunch around my old office. At present, I have Aspire & i20 in garage.
CARDEEP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th August 2017, 17:25   #613
Oxy
BHPian

Re: In Two Minds: Verna 2017 or Honda City 2017

I'd pick the Verna.

In my opinion the City is overpriced for what it offers, and cannot be called "premium" anymore. Even the EX variant of the Verna comes with Cruise Control (which is absent in the City). That's a crucial feature for me in a car that costs 15 lakh plus.
Oxy is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 24th August 2017, 17:29   #614
Distinguished - BHPian

In my view definitely the Verna. A new car, extremely well loaded. Being a Hyundai I believe it would be much better finished than the City. The fact that it comes with a proper 6 speed AT Gearbox is an added plus.

For your specific case, especially if your heart is set on it, it is a no brainer- Verna all the way
Rajeevraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th August 2017, 17:38   #615
BHPian

My suggestion would be:

- If you plan to drive it yourself, go for the Verna (Honda 1.5 liter engine is extremely noisy at highway speeds).

- If you plan to self-drive mostly within city, or will be chauffeur driven (anywhere), then go for the City or Ciaz (both offer much better rear seat space than Verna).
vharihar is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks