Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2015, 13:15   #316
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
re: A Close Look: Fiat Punto Abarth. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 9.95 lakhs!

Courtesy Facebook page of team Fiat moto club

Avventura-powered by Abarth

A Close Look: Fiat Punto Abarth. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 9.95 lakhs!-12028938_10203509573178556_474306728_n.jpg

A Close Look: Fiat Punto Abarth. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 9.95 lakhs!-12041975_10203509573218557_849070488_n.jpg

Punto Evo Abarth

A Close Look: Fiat Punto Abarth. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 9.95 lakhs!-12047750_10203509551778021_349527732_n.jpg

A Close Look: Fiat Punto Abarth. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 9.95 lakhs!-12064047_10203509551658018_972739095_n.jpg

A Close Look: Fiat Punto Abarth. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 9.95 lakhs!-12067247_10203509573098554_99856611_n.jpg
sidindica is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 27th September 2015, 13:26   #317
Distinguished - BHPian

8.8 secs seem really good with the car was driving around the track. The crap Apollo alnac gives up way earlier. Better rubber is a must.
Old 27th September 2015, 13:26   #318
BHPian

No matte silver for Punto? That's a bit disappointing.

IMO, Punto should have been available in matte silver and red. Those two would have looked the best.

For Avventura, orange would have been better than red.

Last edited by theredliner : 27th September 2015 at 13:30.
Old 27th September 2015, 13:34   #319
Senior - BHPian

Updates on the Abarth

A Close Look: Fiat Punto Abarth. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 9.95 lakhs!-cover.png

Abarth Punto

145 NHP
212 NM torque
0-100 8.8 sec
16.3 kmpl

Colours- Black and white. (wonder what happened to the brilliant grey though)

A Close Look: Fiat Punto Abarth. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 9.95 lakhs!-image006-1.jpg

A Close Look: Fiat Punto Abarth. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 9.95 lakhs!-image007-1.jpg

Abarth Punto to get a special graphics package

A Close Look: Fiat Punto Abarth. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 9.95 lakhs!-image005-1.jpg

Avventura- Powered by Abarth (not branded as a full fledged Abarth, like the Punto)

140 BHP
210 NM torque
0-100 9.9 sec
17.1 kmpl

Colours- White and Red

A Close Look: Fiat Punto Abarth. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 9.95 lakhs!-image009-1.jpg

A Close Look: Fiat Punto Abarth. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 9.95 lakhs!-download.png

Source- Fiat Moto Club , on FB.
JayD is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 27th September 2015, 14:03   #320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Sports Attitude? Track tuned suspensions for spoty drive?

Looks like some kid with really bad grammar made a powerpoint presentation, slapped on some watermarks for free publicity. I don't consider this as a credible source at all.
Old 27th September 2015, 14:14   #321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Sports Attitude? Track tuned suspensions for spoty drive?

Looks like some kid with really bad grammar made a powerpoint presentation, slapped on some watermarks for free publicity. I don't consider this as a credible source at all.

No clue who made it sunny, it was given to the dealers. Just shared it online.
Old 27th September 2015, 15:09   #322
Team-BHP Support

For all the arguments we had in the thread about the GT TSi and Punto Abarth, they have gone ahead and written 1.2 "GTI" 103hp in the presentation. Really bad quality stuff if its a FIAT original!

8.8 secs to 100 (claimed) seems interesting though!

The sticker-work on the bonnet and roof seems an afterthought, and makes me feel they've gone a bit overboard. Will wait for the final pics.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2015, 15:16   #323
Team-BHP Support

Saw these pictures on Facebook. At the risk of getting flamed for 'bashing' Fiat, I'm going to come out and say it..

This looks like the efforts of a 12 year old who had about 20 minutes with Microsoft PowerPoint to come up with something for the dealers. It does not seem credible, but then again the newspaper / billboard advertisements also look like rudimentary hotch-potch jobs. (Sorry)

If these slides are in fact legit, it's rather disappointing to see that they have given the matt grey colour option a miss. And I am also surprised to see that there is no red option. Wonder why that is..

BTW did anyone else catch the GTI nomenclature for the 1.2 TSI in the comparison chart?

EDIT: The stripes on the bonnet, roof and boot-lid are a bit overdone IMO. Who's with me?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 27th September 2015 at 15:21.
suhaas307 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 27th September 2015, 15:23   #324
BHPian

If I remember correctly the same engine, tuned to extract 155 hp was selling at 13.5k pounds in uk in 2008-2010. So I definitely don't expect the car to be priced less than 11 lakhs on road.

Apart from this, I feel that Fiat is one company in India (actually might be the same case everywhere), which has a total disconnect with the customers. If you list down the genuine customer complaints of Punto Evo, how many of them are rectified for Abarth. I can point out the following misses.
  1. Not a good driving Position
  2. No reach Adjustment for steering
  3. Gap in the Wheel Arches
  4. Poor interior quality
  5. Have they changed the gearbox?
  6. No Automatic?

Assuming 11 lakhs on road, the interior quality is not justified for this price (at least to average indian consumers). If Fiat are happy with their current volumes, then no complaints from my side. But if they do want to increase their volumes, then again Fiat is going to fail. When you are in Rome you have to be a Roman. Hyundais with their stupid steering, suspension are getting sold in huge volumes. Why?. People don't care much how the car drives, the car serves their purpose well to go from point A to point B and they give a very premium feel, how they feel inside and out. How many so called enthusiasts have bought Punto here.

In my opinion the only company in India which satisfies enthusiasts and average customers alike, is VW. If VW had better after sales reputation, cheaper spare parts, they would have been in second position in market share. VW'S GTI is definitely going to cost more than Abarth, but what if they bring 1.4 TSI and tune it to the same levels of Abarth, whom would you choose. I with my eyes shut will go with VW.
Old 27th September 2015, 16:10   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Saw these pictures on Facebook. At the risk of getting flamed for 'bashing' Fiat, I'm going to come out and say it..

This looks like the efforts of a 12 year old who had about 20 minutes with Microsoft PowerPoint to come up with something for the dealers. It does not seem credible, but then again the newspaper / billboard advertisements also look like rudimentary hotch-potch jobs. (Sorry)

If these slides are in fact legit, it's rather disappointing to see that they have given the matt grey colour option a miss. And I am also surprised to see that there is no red option. Wonder why that is..

BTW did anyone else catch the GTI nomenclature for the 1.2 TSI in the comparison chart?

EDIT: The stripes on the bonnet, roof and boot-lid are a bit overdone IMO. Who's with me?
If this is what the dealers have been given to work with, then FIAT deserves to be bashed. The car still get's one chance.

Yeah, the ad's suck. I cringe every time I see the White/Pink/Yellow combo
Old 27th September 2015, 17:42   #326
BHPian

I, for one, disagree that this PPT was put together by a 12 year old. Kids today type 'lik dis'.

Notice that the car's images are rendered vaguely. I suspect this is an old PPT put together by a Fiat employee to pitch the idea of introducing Abarth into the Indian market.

Probably by a 50-55 year old middle management uncle for internal meetings; possibly a petrol-head with bad grammar.
ashwin489 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2015, 18:08   #327
BHPian

Ironically the ad's remind me of the iconic flower power VW microbus of the 60's. Peace & Love to all.
Attached Thumbnails
A Close Look: Fiat Punto Abarth. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 9.95 lakhs!-volkswagen_microbus_flower_power_with_surfboardrleg1_rleg23_0.jpg  

Old 27th September 2015, 18:31   #328
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to say this, but all the naysayers of Fiat and supporters of VW, there is one major difference between the two companies. One can never expect getting premium service from VW for their expensive cars. Once the polos and ventos started being sold, they are focused only on them. A close friend of mine (has a Jetta) has completely stopped going to their service centers. Everytime the car is sent there, something is broken by the technicians.

Compare that with Fiats. They sell less cars, so less crowds in service centers. I know, they are not perfect or at times even a bit slow, but they get things done. If they start going towards mass market cars, they'll lose their Fiat charm.

We've been keenly waiting for the launch of this car. In contact with Fiat showroom near us. Most probably we'll buy it, or if too expensive then keep our Punto for a few more years.

Ultimately what I mean to say is that we are comparing Apples to Oranges. Gt twins are segment first and I respect them immensely for being sold in India. But at the same time we simply can't compare them with the Abarth. Yes on paper we can compare, but majority of the Fiat buyers will be those who's heart is appealed by the car and not the head. And as we all know, decisions made by the heart tend to put a nice smile on your face, even if it puts a hole in your wallet.
blackwasp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2015, 18:43   #329
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krsna777 View Post
If I remember correctly the same engine, tuned to extract 155 hp was selling at 13.5k pounds in uk in 2008-2010. So I definitely don't expect the car to be priced less than 11 lakhs on road.

Apart from this, I feel that Fiat is one company in India (actually might be the same case everywhere), which has a total disconnect with the customers. If you list down the genuine customer complaints of Punto Evo, how many of them are rectified for Abarth. I can point out the following misses.
  1. Not a good driving Position
  2. No reach Adjustment for steering
  3. Gap in the Wheel Arches
  4. Poor interior quality
  5. Have they changed the gearbox?
  6. No Automatic?

Assuming 11 lakhs on road, the interior quality is not justified for this price (at least to average indian consumers). If Fiat are happy with their current volumes, then no complaints from my side. But if they do want to increase their volumes, then again Fiat is going to fail. When you are in Rome you have to be a Roman. Hyundais with their stupid steering, suspension are getting sold in huge volumes. Why?. People don't care much how the car drives, the car serves their purpose well to go from point A to point B and they give a very premium feel, how they feel inside and out. How many so called enthusiasts have bought Punto here.

In my opinion the only company in India which satisfies enthusiasts and average customers alike, is VW. If VW had better after sales reputation, cheaper spare parts, they would have been in second position in market share. VW'S GTI is definitely going to cost more than Abarth, but what if they bring 1.4 TSI and tune it to the same levels of Abarth, whom would you choose. I with my eyes shut will go with VW.
While I don't disagree with a lot of the points you've quoted, lets be honest - the average indian consumer just wants good FE and space. That's where both fiat, and VW lose out on.
Yes, the Punto Abarth does deserve better ergonomics and a better gearbox, but overall - the ride and handling, performance, and looks will shame the Polo GT TSi - and how! The new dashboard is quite nice and much better built, and in the Abarth the GC issues seem to be taken care of.

Anyways, lets not get the VW into this debate again - both the vehicles have their highlights and weaknesses. Personally, after having owned 2 Fiats, and 3 VWAG vehicles - I am a lot more comfortable with Fiat than VWAG.
lamborghini is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th September 2015, 19:46   #330
Distinguished - BHPian

The "Who Am I?" promotional campaign for the Punto Evo Abarth.

Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks