Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2015, 15:12   #181
BHPian

Re: Maruti Ciaz SHVS with Integrated Starter Generator & idling start / stop system. EDIT: Now launc

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Suppose ARAI rating of Ciaz D is 28kmpl and it delivers 16kmpl when driven in such a condition, it is 57.14% of the rating. Now the ARAI rating of my version of SX4 was 15kmpl. So in similar driving conditions, it will give 8.57kmpl, which is what I get if the car is driven with a heavy foot in traffic. Seems justifiable no?
ARAI ratings are way more complex than that. Read this highly informative thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ncy-tests.html

I would say that ARAI ratings only give a rough indication to compare expected real world FE of 2 cars. If Car A has significantly better (say +3 or + 4) ARAI rating than Car B, I would expect Car A to give better real FE most of the time for most of the people. But, if Car A has only slightly better ARAI rating than Car B, it is not guaranteed that Car A will also have a better real world FE. Cars can be tuned to perform better on the Indian Driving Cycle (IDC) that ARAI conducts.
If Ciaz hypothetically gives 57% of its ARAI rated FE in real world to a driver, it is not necessary that SX4 will also give 57% of its ARAI rated FE to that driver. Different engines, different power and torque curves.

The last 2 sentences in the linked thread above are very interesting, and indicate how these ratings should always be taken with a pinch of salt.

Quote:
Also, figures from the IDC may vary depending on which government approved testing centre is used — ARAI (Pune), VRDE (Ahmednagar) and iCAT (Manesar).
Quote:
Some cars have shown huge improvements in fuel economy after the shift from BS III to BS IV which, rivals claim, could only have been achieved with a ‘champion' car, in other words, a car that has been tweaked purely for the test.
Old 25th September 2015, 12:51   #182
BHPian

Re: Maruti Ciaz SHVS with Integrated Starter Generator & idling start / stop system. EDIT: Now launc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
Being a Diesel car driver, I always have to wait for a minute to turn of my engine but by the time I try to, the traffic moves ahead. In this hybrid story the car will get turned off by itself without the idling.
There is an option to switch off the hybrid system and use the car normally as any other car. This could be the go to option in highways.

I have personally test driven the car and it seems to work well.
kaushik_ak is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2015, 22:56   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
.. I remember Civic had a hybrid which did not take off. Prius did not succeed either, in India. Even in US, generally Hollywood celebrities are seen driving Priuses to Award functions, flaunting their green credentials. ....

The adaptation of Hybrids especially Prius is way too high in Europe and the US due to affordability. You see so many of them on the streets.

Here in India where the market is so price sensitive an expensive technology will never become commodity especially when the consumers has lot more cheaper options to choose from.
Old 26th September 2015, 23:53   #184
BHPian

Have finally zeroed in on the ZDI+ variant ...got to book very soon, and would be getting delivery during Navratra's ...

Color choice - confusion between family members ..

Apart from normal accessories, whats the story with 3M detailing ? I have heard a lot about it - never got a chance to get any of my previous cars done. What is the exact package I have to refer to, and speak to 3M about (to retain shine and new like appearance ) ?
Old 27th September 2015, 00:47   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post
Have finally zeroed in on the ZDI+ variant ...got to book very soon, and would be getting delivery during Navratra's ...

Color choice - confusion between family members ..

Apart from normal accessories, whats the story with 3M detailing ? I have heard a lot about it - never got a chance to get any of my previous cars done. What is the exact package I have to refer to, and speak to 3M about (to retain shine and new like appearance ) ?
Ask for the paint sealant wash. Includes foam wash. Claying and polishing. Should keep the paint protected. I got my Ciaz done at 3M recently.
Old 27th September 2015, 07:33   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnyguru View Post
Ask for the paint sealant wash. Includes foam wash. Claying and polishing. Should keep the paint protected. I got my Ciaz done at 3M recently.
How much this package costs ? Hope the charges would be same across India - Chennai vs Gurgaon ?
Old 30th September 2015, 17:44   #187
Senior - BHPian

What is the real world fuel efficiency for the Hybrid Ciaz ? Can it at least deliver 15-16 in traffic conditions ?
Old 30th September 2015, 17:56   #188
BHPian

Quote:
How much this package costs ? Hope the charges would be same across India - Chennai vs Gurgaon ?
It was around 3.5k. In Chennai
Old 9th October 2015, 17:35   #189
Senior - BHPian

Friends I have been hearing that Ciaz SHVS has better driveability than the earlier non SHVS version. Can someone who has extensively driven both the versions make out if really there is a substantial difference?

Better driveability means that the low end torque might have been improved. The peak torque of 200Nm is achieved @ 1750 rpm. Has the torque curve become more flat? I understand while accelerating there is some assistance form the battery, does this result in better driveability at low rpms, which helps mask the infamous turbo lag?
Old 11th October 2015, 23:26   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Friends I have been hearing that Ciaz SHVS has better driveability than the earlier non SHVS version. Can someone who has extensively driven both the versions make out if really there is a substantial difference?

Better driveability means that the low end torque might have been improved. The peak torque of 200Nm is achieved @ 1750 rpm. Has the torque curve become more flat? I understand while accelerating there is some assistance form the battery, does this result in better driveability at low rpms, which helps mask the infamous turbo lag?
I have test driven both the versions, and I am going to book the vdi+ option next week. As I currently own Swift and have driven the Ertiga, I can say that the turbo lag is much reduced in Ciaz. Of course the lag is quite perceptible if you drive the likes of Figo aspire diesel or Honda city diesel back to back with Ciaz. You cannot match the performance of the aspire diesel either, with the Ciaz. But if you have driven swift and know how to keep the engine in the turbo zone, then you will love the Ciaz engine.

Between the earlier plain diesel and the SHVS version, I did't find much difference. I had driven the plain diesel version a while ago, so might need to drive both the versions back to back to find the difference. But I don't think there is a perceptible difference in the turbo lag. You can see the SHVS indicator turning on while accelerating, as well as when the foot is lifted from the accelerator. There must be some assist, but I think most of the FE improvement must come from the regenerative engine breaking, which takes the alternator load off while accelerating, when compared to that of a regular version.

Last edited by mithunvvijayan : 11th October 2015 at 23:27. Reason: Typo Error
mithunvvijayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 08:25   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan View Post
I have test driven both the versions, and I am going to book the vdi+ option next week. As I currently own Swift and have driven the Ertiga, I can say that the turbo lag is much reduced in Ciaz. Of course the lag is quite perceptible if you drive the likes of Figo aspire diesel or Honda city diesel back to back with Ciaz. You cannot match the performance of the aspire diesel either, with the Ciaz. But if you have driven swift and know how to keep the engine in the turbo zone, then you will love the Ciaz engine.

Between the earlier plain diesel and the SHVS version, I did't find much difference. I had driven the plain diesel version a while ago, so might need to drive both the versions back to back to find the difference. But I don't think there is a perceptible difference in the turbo lag. You can see the SHVS indicator turning on while accelerating, as well as when the foot is lifted from the accelerator. There must be some assist, but I think most of the FE improvement must come from the regenerative engine breaking, which takes the alternator load off while accelerating, when compared to that of a regular version.
WHats the theory with Turboo Cooldown ?
If I am driving on a highway for an hour, and suddenly face a traffic jam, which needs idleing, I'll have to be careful and do not put the car in neutral for a min or so (to avoid car turning off ) ?
If Maruti has added this feature, I think they also should have thought about turbo cooldown procedure ?
Old 12th October 2015, 11:22   #192
BHPian

Quote:
WHats the theory with Turboo Cooldown ?
If I am driving on a highway for an hour, and suddenly face a traffic jam, which needs idleing, I'll have to be careful and do not put the car in neutral for a min or so (to avoid car turning off ) ?
If Maruti has added this feature, I think they also should have thought about turbo cooldown procedure ?
There is a detailed explanation on why we need to wait for a while before switching a turbocharged engine off, in the team bhp Tech Stuff area.

Please check this link http://www.team-bhp.com/tech-stuff/i...o-charged-cars
Old 12th October 2015, 12:00   #193
BHPian

Quote:
There is a detailed explanation on why we need to wait for a while before switching a turbocharged engine off, in the team bhp Tech Stuff area.

Please check this link http://www.team-bhp.com/tech-stuff/i...o-charged-cars
Oh yes, I know this thread, and I did located the same in Ciaz Owners Manual as well.

The point is, the technology present in SHVS is opposite of this belief - If I dont pay attention, and as soon as car comes to a stop, it would turn OFF as per design (within 3 seconds -not 10 seconds as claimed in some posts) ! Are we not hyping the turbo cooling to a large extent ?
Old 12th October 2015, 13:53   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Oh yes, I know this thread, and I did located the same in Ciaz Owners Manual as well.

The point is, the technology present in SHVS is opposite of this belief - If I dont pay attention, and as soon as car comes to a stop, it would turn OFF as per design (within 3 seconds -not 10 seconds as claimed in some posts) ! Are we not hyping the turbo cooling to a large extent ?
I will get delivery of my vehicle next week. The first thing I am going to do is to turn off the stop start feature. I dilligently follow the turbo idling in my car. I dont want to cause the slightest damage to the turbo, whatsoever.

That said, the start stop feature is not only available in scorpio, is is also available in Passat as well. It must be in some other cars too, below 20L.

Last edited by mithunvvijayan : 12th October 2015 at 13:56.
Old 12th October 2015, 14:02   #195
BHPian

Quote:
I will get delivery of my vehicle next week. The first thing I am going to do is to turn off the stop start feature. I dilligently follow the turbo idling in my car. I dont want to cause the slightest damage to the turbo, whatsoever.

That said, the start stop feature is not only available in scorpio, is is also available in Passat as well. It must be in some other cars too, below 20L.
I am getting mine on 14th ...
Either I'll disable it, or would pay special attention to it !
What If I dont even cross 2K RPM mark - would Turbo still come into affect and idling rule applies ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks