Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2015, 00:22   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Spotted! VW Polo GTI with 1.8L TSI engine

If they wanted to bring in a Halo car , VW just needs to bring in the Golf not another Polo, Just my opinion.
Old 7th August 2015, 01:51   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
The pricing I agree with - this 30 lakh rubbish that Fiat has done with the 595 is a non-starter, halo or no halo. I mean, if a car is so overpriced that it's not seen on the roads where is the halo effect?

With the GTI, VW will face a similar sort of dilemma. Even if this is seen a lot on the roads, it'll do nothing for them because it'll get mistaken most of the time as just another Polo. The way to go is to build on the success of the GT and price this reasonably by doing some smart things like making it locally or bring it as a CKD to avoid the usurious CBU taxes. But that'll need some commitment from VW and in my experience most manufacturers are risk averse and take the easy, low-commitment CBU route.
It only makes sense to be risk-averse when you're doing something right. If it's broke, fix it! VW really needs to pick up the slack in India and they very well can - the Polo GTI is a good starting point IMO.
Old 7th August 2015, 08:32   #123
Senior - BHPian

for a halo car, it needs to be looking and feeling special. IMO 90% of common people won't notice the 1.8 GTI versus a regular run of the mill Polo. And out of the remaining 5%, 4% will feel it has been modified by a boy racer, with some side skirts etc.
So where is the halo? Speaking of charging 30 lacs for this is quite fool hardy, one may get a sale or two from an enthusiast, but nothing more. Even 1.5 liter Polos are not selling very much.
Old 7th August 2015, 09:59   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
for a halo car, it needs to be looking and feeling special. IMO 90% of common people won't notice the 1.8 GTI versus a regular run of the mill Polo. And out of the remaining 5%, 4% will feel it has been modified by a boy racer, with some side skirts etc.
So where is the halo? Speaking of charging 30 lacs for this is quite fool hardy, one may get a sale or two from an enthusiast, but nothing more. Even 1.5 liter Polos are not selling very much.
I think that is the way Germans do halo car. Save for different wheels, spoilers, maybe carbon fibre ORVMs, etc I do not seem most of them having a in your face changes in exterior (e.g. M cars, VW Golf R, etc). That is different from the approach Civics of the world take for their extreme version.

I am sure there are enough fans of the first school of approach as well. I am sure some of them will have deep pockets for this GTi.

Having said that, I agree with you that VW needs to sell this to have the "halo" effect translate into branding gains. So I do hope VW prices it around 14-15 (or lower )rather than 30 as at the latter price point I don't think it will sell enough to help the brand - different body kits or not.
vivekz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2015, 16:56   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
The GTI will be only a halo car.
So regardless of whatever we may write here to reduce the price, be prepared for a launch price of Rs. 30 Lakhs.
Anything less and count ourselves lucky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekz View Post
Having said that, I agree with you that VW needs to sell this to have the "halo" effect translate into branding gains.
So I do hope VW prices it around 14-15 ( or lower please ) rather than 30 as at the latter price point I don't think it will sell enough to help the brand.
VW's Polo GTI Vs BMW's Mini

Battery in the boot - Sweet

While I hope the OTR is less than 20 L, the signs don't appear encouraging...
im_srini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2015, 21:17   #126
BHPian

Audi A3 with the same 1.8L TFSI petrol engine and similar state of tune (177BHP) is priced at 32L. Its got DSG transmission too (not CVT i believe). Plus you get the Audi badge as well. This pricing is for the locally assembled A3. Strangely i have never seen people term this Audi A3 with 1.8 TFSI as "explosive" or "peppy". On the contrary i have seen people calling A3 as "unexciting, lousy". May be that review was from the time the A3 had CVT or i am missing something? Anyway if above facts are true, I feel VW Polo GTI with 1.8 TSI will be mocked if its priced at the speculated 25L (CBU) because in India at the end of the day even the Polo GTi is just a Polo. I am willing to listen to your opinions on this.
Old 10th August 2015, 10:00   #127
BHPian

I test drove the Polo 1.2 TSI yesterday and was chatting with the Sundaram Motors sales person. He confirmed that the GTI was being tested at the moment and that they had received an ex-showroom price of 17 lakhs as an indication. He was unsure of the launch date.
Old 10th August 2015, 10:58   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy View Post
that they had received an ex-showroom price of 17 lakhs as an indication. He was unsure of the launch date.
I think thats a good price for a Polo GTI & the car may find some passionate buyer's at that price. The aam aadmi however would think I can buy a Octavia diesel for around the same price so why buy a small car?!

The biggest stumbling block for the GTI will be its' looks. The GTI is a sleeper car, it looks exactly like the regular Polo and while that works in Europe, it will not work here. People would like their 20 Lakh car to look different from a 9 lakh rupee one.
Old 10th August 2015, 11:37   #129
BHPian

17 Lakhs is a reasonable price for GTI in my opinion. Don't forget it comes fully loaded (hopefully) with paddle shifters and other gizmos that aren't available in Octy as standard equipment. I would take it even if it looks like a regular polo. My only concern is the lowered clearance for the GTi. I hope that would be sorted out after the ongoing testing.

EDIT: 17L appears to be feasible only if its assembled locally. I hope the launch is not delayed beyond diwali given the time required to redo the assembly line for the GTI.

Last edited by super.cars : 10th August 2015 at 11:59.
Old 11th August 2015, 14:47   #130
BHPian

As per below report, GTI is expected in AWD avatar !! Not sure if that is true.
Launch expected by end of year via CKD route as per the report.

source

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiatoday

If reports are true then, Volkswagen India will most likely launch its latest Polo in the country by the end of 2015. Volkswagen India have not yet made any announcements regarding the launch of the much-awaited Volkswagen Polo GTI. But with the Fiat Punto Evo Abarth on its way to the Indian market this festive season, its rival the Polo GTI is not much behind.

The new Volkswagen Polo GTI will most likely come with a 1.8-litre, four-cylinder turbocharged petrol engine producing maximum power output of 188bhp and maximum torque of 320Nm, mated to a seven-speed DSG transmission, going from 0-100 km/hr in 6.7 seconds, reports say.

According to reports, the new Volkswagen Polo GTI comes in AWD with all new sports suspension and disc brakes. The car also comes with engine drag torque control, vehicle dynamics function XDS+ and electronic differential lock.

The Volkswagen Polo GTI will come via the CKD-route, reports say. Although, design-wise, the Polo GTI is similar to the previous model, but there are several major changes with the styling of the car. The Polo GTI will come with LED headlights, honeycomb mesh grille, red brake calipers, re-designed bumper and 17-inch alloy wheels, reports say.

Moreover, the interior of the new Volkswagen Polo GTI comes with sport seats, new upholstery with contrast red stitching, re-designed steering wheel and aluminium pedals, say reports.
super.cars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 16:08   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy View Post
... was chatting with the Sundaram Motors sales person.
He confirmed that the GTI was being tested at the moment and that they had received an ex-showroom price of 17 lakhs as an indication.
17 L, that would be ~ 21 L OTR here in Bangalore - just skating at the very edge of affordability, still glad that it's not close 30 L as estimated earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by super.cars View Post
17 Lakhs is a reasonable price for GTI in my opinion.
Don't forget it comes fully loaded (hopefully) with paddle shifters and other gizmos that aren't available in Octy as standard equipment.
EDIT : 17 L appears to be feasible only if its assembled locally.
Hoping the same, that it comes with all the bells & whistles of the European version, especially the wheel with the paddle shifters.
Paddle shifters would mean it's the DSG which is torque-limited to 260 Nm, while the manual GTI puts out 320 Nm !

Quote:
Originally Posted by super.cars View Post
As per below report, GTI is expected in AWD avatar !!
Not sure if that is true.
Highly unlikely, that would be the 'R', which has AWD & comes with a 250 BHP motor !
im_srini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2015, 20:50   #132
BHPian

Spotted this in a Volkswagen showroom of all places.

Was out shopping for a new GT TDI when I stumbled across this.
I asked the SA if the GTI is alreadfy out on retail and was informed that it is just a GT TSI fitted with a GTI grille. Sure enough, the interiors seem identical to a GT TSI, and also it sported the GT TSI label on the C-pillars.
The model details on the left also called it a GT TSI.
But since when did VW start customizing their cars per need. Note the glossy black roof as well.

Not sure if it was an attemtp to hide a GTI as a GT TSI in plain sight.

Note: I do not have a keen eye. If it has irked the curiosity of any sleuths in our midst, this image is from the Volkswagen dealership in Thane (Global Gallarie). Feel free to investigate
Attached Thumbnails
Spotted! VW Polo GTI with 1.8L TSI engine-wp_20150816_15_05_40_pro_2.jpg  

sephiroth is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 00:48   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sephiroth View Post

VW will never allow a dealership to display an upcoming model like this. The owner mostly would have bought the grill and may have got it fitted from the dealership.

On the other hand, dealerships do customize cars before it's delivered, of course for a hefty premium. Sometimes they even outsource the work.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 11:21   #134
BHPian

This is just a dealer customised car with aftermarket grille

Have seen the same car in Viviana mall Thane at a display about a month back.

Quote:

Was out shopping for a new GT TDI when I stumbled across this.
I asked the SA if the GTI is alreadfy out on retail and was informed that it is just a GT TSI fitted with a GTI grille. Sure enough, the interiors seem identical to a GT TSI, and also it sported the GT TSI label on the C-pillars.
The model details on the left also called it a GT TSI.
But since when did VW start customizing their cars per need. Note the glossy black roof as well.

Note: I do not have a keen eye. If it has irked the curiosity of any sleuths in our midst, this image is from the Volkswagen dealership in Thane (Global Gallarie). Feel free to investigate
Old 17th August 2015, 12:00   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
VW will never allow a dealership to display an upcoming model like this. The owner mostly would have bought the grill and may have got it fitted from the dealership.

On the other hand, dealerships do customize cars before it's delivered, of course for a hefty premium. Sometimes they even outsource the work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1 View Post
This is just a dealer customised car with aftermarket grille
Curious. Is a dealer allowed to do this? changing the grill seems borderline ok. But adding a GTI emblem seems illegal. Can understand it being done outside, but I assume a dealer who is a representative of the brand, doing something like this will be a violation.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks