Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2006, 14:25   #31
Senior - BHPian

guys,

if my memory serves me right, i do remember that a few years back, the TATAMobile was selected for the Scottish fire brigade.

And there are ambys in good ol' London town too.
so, i guess we are getting there. so far,we have covered the European markets, now we have to penetrate the US Markets. read this guys.

http://sid.iisc.ernet.in/tml.html

cheers
Old 5th September 2006, 14:40   #32
elf
BANNED

You guys are getting it butt backwards! Please read the entire thread, not just a coupla posts.

Simply having a few cars available does not constitute entry into a market. What's needed is full fleged company support, with dealers, spares depots, after sales service, finance options, & mainly - a desire to buy from the public.

Seeing a coupla Revas & a buncha Ambys in England, the aforementioned Tatamobile in Scotland, does not constitute a presence.

Also, my point has been that although these companies (Tata & Mahindra) are improving, they still have a long way to go before they can make a full fleged entry into global markets.
Old 5th September 2006, 14:44   #33
BHPian

Of what I remember, Sometime back Tata had a alliance with MG Rover group of UK and under this alliance Rover was selling Tata Indica rebadged as CityRover in UK. I think it would be lot easier and hassle free if you try and import this CityRover to USA and maybe you can buy Indica badges from India and replace them on the cityrover and you would have your Indica. will try and find out the link for this.....

here is the link....
http://www3.mg-rover.com/rover_GB_en...cityrover.html

Last edited by malgudi : 5th September 2006 at 15:02.
Old 5th September 2006, 15:08   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf
You guys are getting it butt backwards! Please read the entire thread, not just a coupla posts.

Simply having a few cars available does not constitute entry into a market. What's needed is full fleged company support, with dealers, spares depots, after sales service, finance options, & mainly - a desire to buy from the public.

Seeing a coupla Revas & a buncha Ambys in England, the aforementioned Tatamobile in Scotland, does not constitute a presence.

Also, my point has been that although these companies (Tata & Mahindra) are improving, they still have a long way to go before they can make a full fleged entry into global markets.
of course, i was joking

Old 5th September 2006, 16:09   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by malgudi
Of what I remember, Sometime back Tata had a alliance with MG Rover group of UK and under this alliance Rover was selling Tata Indica rebadged as CityRover in UK.
This alliance is off now. Reports were that Ratan Tata was extremely furious when Rover management started talking to a Chinese firm for the take over of Rover (which eventually happened) behind his back.

Have seen Rover City in the exhibit stalls and have to accept it looks great compared to our Indica here. Had a ex-Rover colleague of mine who told that The Indica performed very well in the tests, but the hurried nature of Rover managers who wanted to have a small car as soon as possible on UK roads made that product to fail in terms of not being able to mature in terms of quality. Even in India the early Indicas were plagued with problems right ?

If in Europe customers face problems like what was faces by Indian customers, you can be assured there will be no market for it. Rover (Its 'Over' now) and a host of other British car manufacturers survive on small numbers because of the patriotism factor (discussed elsewhere in this thread)

regards
Bullfrog
Old 5th September 2006, 16:22   #36
elf
BANNED

Thank you Bullfrog. This is exactly the point I was trying to make.
Old 5th September 2006, 20:34   #37

MPower, yes, I would drive around a TATA Indica around DC. Its the unique factor that I like. ( nobody else has it ). I drive an E320 in usa. But, when I bought a car in india, I was contemplating between a palio diesel and an Indica Diesel and I went with Indica Diesel ( V2 redesigned ) -- One of the major decision factors was the "made in India" tag. I know its a little inferior - but they have improved a lot and are improving.

ELF, you got me wrong, I was trying to say the same thing as you said, the protectionism ( in the form of taxes + excise etc ) in india is not putting any pressure on indian companies to be innovative -- they just become lazy. - We are in agreement here.

Also, the reason I say Indica is because of the sudden demand in USA for sub-compact cars with High Fuel Effeciency. ( Because of the high gas costs, there is a sudden demand for sub-compact cars like Honda Fit and Toyota Yaris -- they are similar to Indica ). SUV sales are taking a real hit in the US Market and most automobile companies are scrambling to get fuel effecient cars into the market as soon as possible.
Old 5th September 2006, 21:14   #38
elf
BANNED

Then now would be a great time for the Indica to enter... if it were competent enough!
You already know my thoughts on this.

I would like to thank one & all for hearing (reading?) out my arguments patiently & responding to them in the right spirit.
I have / had no intention of insulting anybody or hurting their feelings, just wanted to get my point across.

Last edited by elf : 5th September 2006 at 21:19.
Old 5th September 2006, 21:37   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

guys, while you discuss about M&M [and Tata] making it into the US market, just like M&M quite successfully got it's tractors in there, and Tata atleast got it's cars on UK tarmac ...

please remember that just because M&M has an encouraging response to their tractors, they will never make it with any of their road-going vehicles in their current and near-future avatars. And neither will Tata. Not in any significant numbers so as to be counted.

A tractor is essentially not a road-going vehicle. It's a farm equipment. Meant to be driven at slow speeds, in farms, doing some farm specific work. Also, if these tractors are getting such good response there, it is also because they are being used they way tractors should be: not being used on roads.

Just like a Indica isnt an off-roader. A 4x4 Scorp may do a little soft off-roading, but that's about it.

A passenger car has a different set of requirements, and neither M&M nor Tata have it in them to make it to US roads, yet.

Last edited by condor : 5th September 2006 at 21:40.
Old 5th September 2006, 21:46   #40
BANNED

Scorpio in 2007

According to a report in AutoWeek, the Scorpio may be available as early as 2007.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=116391
Old 5th September 2006, 21:57   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

I dont think that article mentioned anything concrete about what set of wheels.

And, quoting from the same article:
"What this means to you: If the Indians want to sell low-priced vehicles to the Americans, they'll have to get in line behind the Koreans, the Chinese and the Russians. "

And just in case I havent said this earlier .. I wish they do well.

It will be good to see the home-grown stuff take on what the land of the first car has to offer. But before that, hope they both can satisfy those like me who still are looking at their models over what's been brought in from across the seas .. and satisfy the many others who have found their stuff not as good as what's come in into the country in recent years.
Old 5th September 2006, 22:31   #42
Senior - BHPian

There are various Chinese companies waiting in the wings to export to US. All have issues currently with quality, emissions, crash-test requirements etc. Indica will be in the same boat.

It sounds far fetched, but some people here say that in 5 years you'll find cheap $5000 chinese cars in Walmart.
Old 27th October 2006, 17:41   #43
BHPian

I've seen some 10-15 Diesel Indica's here in Milan, Italy. There were not the re-badged Indica's(City Rover).. They were the real Tata ones except that they were LHD.

Any idea about the prices they were sold in Europe...

Last edited by Digital Vampire : 27th October 2006 at 17:43.
Old 27th October 2006, 20:02   #44
NIX

Indian Cars Abroad

Talk about Indian cars abroad ---

I have seen a Tata Safari in Melbourne, Aus and a Fiat Padmini in Dubai, UAE which is used for pizza delivery !
Old 27th October 2006, 21:24   #45
elf
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIX
... I have seen ... a Fiat Padmini in Dubai ...
Yep. Me too, over 6 years ago. Looked damn funny standing there on the wide roads amidst the latest & most expensive from all over the world...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks