Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2015, 13:25   #1
Team-BHP Support

Scoop! Third-gen Skoda Superb spotted testing in India EDIT: Launched at Rs. 22.68 lakhs!

Mod Note: Our Superb Report has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Thank you to Gaurav Wagh for sending us these images. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing them with other enthusiasts!

Two test mules of the third-generation Skoda Superb has been spotted in Aurangabad.

Scoop! Third-gen Skoda Superb spotted testing in India EDIT: Launched at Rs. 22.68 lakhs!-1.jpg

The new Superb is 28 mm longer and 47 mm wider than the previous model. Its wheelbase has been increased by 80 mm and the front overhang is 61 mm shorter than before.

Scoop! Third-gen Skoda Superb spotted testing in India EDIT: Launched at Rs. 22.68 lakhs!-2.jpg

The car has a coupe-like look compared to the outgoing model. It features the new Skoda family grille, restyled headlamps with daytime running lights, redesigned tail lamps, restyled bumpers, chrome lining for the windows, a shark fin antenna and 5-spoke alloy wheels.

Scoop! Third-gen Skoda Superb spotted testing in India EDIT: Launched at Rs. 22.68 lakhs!-3.jpg

Internationally, the Superb is available with a wide range of engines. Options include 1.4-litre, 1.8-litre and 2.0-litre TSI petrols with output figures ranging from 123 BHP to 217 BHP along with 1.6-litre and 2.0-litre TDI diesels with output figures ranging from 118 BHP to 188 BHP. Transmission options include manual and DSG automatic gearboxes. It is unclear which engine and transmission combinations Skoda will bring to India.

Scoop! Third-gen Skoda Superb spotted testing in India EDIT: Launched at Rs. 22.68 lakhs!-5.jpg

Scoop! Third-gen Skoda Superb spotted testing in India EDIT: Launched at Rs. 22.68 lakhs!-6.jpg

The Superb is expected to go on sale in India in 2016.

Scoop! Third-gen Skoda Superb spotted testing in India EDIT: Launched at Rs. 22.68 lakhs!-pic.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 24th April 2016 at 18:26. Reason: Link to review
Aditya is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 10th July 2015, 13:31   #2
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Scoop! Third-gen Skoda Superb spotted testing in India EDIT: Launched at Rs. 22.68 lakhs!

There's a silver one in Pune as well. Have been spotting it since last 10 days around Pimpri. It wears red Test plates and looks amazing !

Tried to click pics multiple times but sadly couldn't due to traffic conditions.
Old 10th July 2015, 13:31   #3
BHPian

re: Scoop! Third-gen Skoda Superb spotted testing in India EDIT: Launched at Rs. 22.68 lakhs!

Excellent scoop. I believe Skoda hasn't camouflaged the car because it has been launched globally. I hope Skoda prices this car well. Considering how this segment has very low sales though, its unlikely that Skoda will price this car aggressively. I believe it'll be around the 30 lakh price point, near the Camry's.

Those alloys look horrendous.
Old 10th July 2015, 13:32   #4
Senior - BHPian

Great scoop. Thanks for sharing. 2 Weeks ago I spotted the same white Superb in Pune. In person, the car looks extremely beautiful with those DRL's.

Last edited by GTO : 10th July 2015 at 16:06. Reason: Language
tushky is offline   Received Infraction
Old 10th July 2015, 13:40   #5
BHPian

Excellent Scoop!
In the second pic the car is grinning like this

Skoda Superb going by the reviews is one heck of a car!
If Skoda has really sorted out the gearbox issues then I can't think of one single negative thing about this car. (Not talking about the service or anything else.)
RavSam is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2015, 14:24   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakhar1998 View Post
I hope Skoda prices this car well. Considering how this segment has very low sales though, its unlikely that Skoda will price this car aggressively. I believe it'll be around the 30 lakh price point, near the Camry's.
Always liked the Superb, for the value it offered initially at around 21 lakhs. However the face-lift saw some features vanishing and prices going up. 30 lakhs sounds a bit too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakhar1998 View Post
Those alloys look horrendous.
I agree. Skoda seriously needs to upgrade alloys across all variants

Also, in the pics it looks wider than the outgoing model. I always though the current one was slightly cramped due to its width.
Distant Second is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2015, 14:27   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
The car looks extremely beautiful with those DRL's

That is a fact for all those cars with clean lines which don't look too fancy. The pictures don't do justice to those cars. In flesh it looks really different from pictures and impressive, VAG cars especially.
Old 10th July 2015, 14:39   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distant Second View Post
30 lakhs sounds a bit too much
While I don't agree with it, everyone has moved up. On the road Mumbai, the Camry costs 35 lakhs (Hybrid = 41.50 lakhs ), Fortuner 4x4 MT 31 lakhs, Hyundai Santa Fe AWD 37 lakhs and the A-Class Petrol / Diesel is 35 lakhs.

Better you get used to the 30 lakh figure, buddy .
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 10th July 2015, 15:13   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
While I don't agree with it, everyone has moved up. On the road Mumbai, the Camry costs 35 lakhs (Hybrid = 41.50 lakhs ), Fortuner 4x4 MT 31 lakhs, Hyundai Santa Fe AWD 37 lakhs and the A-Class Petrol / Diesel is 35 lakhs.

I am seriously not updated with these kind of prices. I guess I may have to get used to it. I dunno if it's age, but I just felt my throat go dry.

That's why I see myself planning for the pre-worshipped route for anything above 15 lakhs and especially for the Superb, considering wads of cash required to maintain it.

Obvious advantages: Will have long term reports, performance reports, issues known, depreciation saved.

Cons: At least a two year wait. Also, I may change my mind by then.
Distant Second is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2015, 15:22   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

When is the tentative launch month for this new gen Superb?

I am only interested not as a prospective buyer but as a prospective seller to get rid of my existing 2nd generation Superb before this new gen is out to avoid a bigger hit on my resale.

The 3rd gen version is nice but not a revolutionary leap as they did between the first and second generation of the Superb. However, they have lost me as a customer due to the numerous problems the Skoda gave me (I was yet luckier than most others) Definitely won't be going back to buying a Skoda again even if they give did make a revolutionary leap again.

Quote:

I remember paying approx the same for the Superb 1.8TSi and Fortuner 4x4 MT OTR thane 22 lakhs each. They were both bought 6 months apart without discounts as they were fresh launches little over 5 years ago.
Neither of them are worth nearly 10 lakhs more today. The Superb is not mechanically sound and the Fortuner is too bumper.
Someone needs to launch a well priced SUV with Air Suspension (in the 30-40 lakh) bracket, this gap is waiting to be filled. The only SUV's with Air Suspension are the germans which are 60 lakh plus. Was hoping Jeep would come in at a better price point and provide air suspension but instead their plans have gone up in the air.

Last edited by manson : 11th July 2015 at 14:25.
Sahil is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th July 2015, 15:22   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

The Superb is an amazing piece of machinery with attention to every detail. It seems as the most practical and easy to own (assuming it doesn't breaks down) luxury car in the market. It looks luxury with out ever screaming about it, just because of its clean lines. Somehow I can relate it with the older Rolls Royce design (Arnage or the Silver Surfer).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distant Second View Post
Always liked the Superb, for the value it offered initially at around 21 lakhs. However the face-lift saw some features vanishing and prices going up. 30 lakhs sounds a bit too much
Also, in the pics it looks wider than the outgoing model. I always though the current one was slightly cramped due to its width.
Have a look the below thread and the article:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...mw-audi-8.html

The Superb beats the current gen Merc E Class hands down and still costs half of it (almost). You could say the Skodas are unreliable but so are the Mercs. (Thread to prove the same: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...n-cars-33.html)
Heck you could buy a pair of Superbs for the price of one E Class. The second car will be a back up in case the first has any failure.
(And you take a convoy of a black and a white Superb on days when you like to feel special.)
http://www.autobild.de/artikel/skoda...t-5755174.html

You could say the Skoda lacks snob value and I would agree, the German trio is the only way to go. But over the last few years, the no.of German trios has increased manifold and has diluted the brand value. If you think so then Skoda is still in contention.

Quote:

+1.
The prices of ALL the automobiles (bikes too) have increased disproportionately to the inflation levels. It is much more disproportionate in case of the CBU/CKDs and partial imports (low localization vehicles). May be it the combined effect of inflation (increasing costs of raw materials, labour and supply chain services), devalued rupee, use of more advanced (and complicated) electronics, tax structure revision, increasing profit targets for companies, so on and so forth. It needs a detailed dissection of the auto sector to justify/reject the increase in price.

Sorry for going off-topic.
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2015, 16:10   #12
vdm
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 11th July 2015 at 12:41.
vdm is offline   Received Infraction
Old 10th July 2015, 17:08   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Somehow I can relate it with the older Rolls Royce design (Arnage or the Silver Surfer).
Really??

Quote:
The Superb beats the current gen Merc E Class hands down and still costs half of it (almost). You could say the Skodas are unreliable but so are the Mercs.
I agree with you here on the costs. But also, it may be unfair to compare the two brands. I am not Pro-Merc or any other German maker, but the fact remains that Merc has been at the forefront of innovation and practical usage of so many of the features that the modern cars have today. ABS, Airbags, Crumple zones, seat belt pretensioners, the list goes on & on with the many firsts it has to its name. If they wanted they could have absolute advantage and monopoly by keeping these features locked exclusively to them, but they let other automobile manufacturers use them only for the sake of safety.

So their higher prices are not only greed, but one aspect is to keep getting newer innovations in the industry.

Quote:
The prices of ALL the automobiles (bikes too) have increased disproportionately to the inflation levels. It is much more disproportionate in case of the CBU/CKDs and partial imports (low localization vehicles). May be it the combined effect of inflation (increasing costs of raw materials, labour and supply chain services), devalued rupee, use of more advanced (and complicated) electronics, tax structure revision, increasing profit targets for companies, so on and so forth. It needs a detailed dissection of the auto sector to justify/reject the increase in price.
Could'nt agree more. I cringe at the thought of a C-class at 50 lacs.
Old 10th July 2015, 20:37   #14
BHPian

I like how the VW / Audi / Skoda cars are tested without camouflage once they have been revealed internationally. Unlike some other manufacturers who despite everyone and their uncle knowing what is there inside and outside still prefer to keep it under multiple layers of clothing.

On the pricing front I think we'll be lucky to have any variant below 30 lakhs which means that this will once again be out of reach for me just like previous generation was when it was launched.

Hoping for the 1.4 TSI as a base and also the 2.0 TSI as a flagship. Also hope all variants are offered with all engine and transmission options.
Old 10th July 2015, 23:42   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Better you get used to the 30 lakh figure, buddy
That 30L in realization value is far higher than 50L when you try to find similar size, space and comfort from an Audi or BMW and forget Merc.

Till date if not for the skoda service woes if sanity prevailed many will pick the superb over a jetta, passat or even a laura. Ok thats exaggeration but my personal pick is Skoda simply for VFM.

30L is huge but the value it brings is absolutely worth the price.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks