Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2019, 15:43   #736
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmv View Post
The horn switch placement is the outer covering of steering control switches. Which is a nice touch instead of the steering center portion IMO. And I can not find the horn symbol on the steering center !!
Eagle eyes mate! Apply for the air force. Its a wonderful thing done. This is desperately needed & we shouldn't be surprised if this is the USP that sells the Altroz altogether. Thumb horn switches! God sent for our roads. We should safely assume that the center piece also has a horn button as usual internally. Don't see a reason why they'll remove it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Reminds me of this

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayshouree View Post
Dear Tata, please have a look at Hyundai's dashboard and doors and how they meet to look like made for each other. For example i20, Creta, etc.
Well I for one, would like to see something different in a car which is not a Hyundai. This thing at least surely is different than what now a days are pretty similar and boring dashboards across brands. I'll give it to Tata design to be coming with fresh designs since last 2-3 years. Let's wait till better pictures are available with more light & perhaps till we get to see it in person. It might actually be quite good! A different design philosophy that perhaps doesn't believe in things flowing like fluid here and there (pun intended!).
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
Saw the test mule pretty closely in heavy Pune traffic, the car is smaller than Baleno and also sits a little lower.
Lower & smaller than Baleno. I wonder how that will be reacted to by the customers. While lower+smaller = an excellent drivers' car, but current mantra is larger & taller due to our horrendous roads anywhere we go. Good if TML is actually trying to fight in the enthusiastic part of the spectrum (i.e. targeting lower sales numbers from word go) rather than making the Altroz a commuter car. Perhaps they understand its futile to fight with Baleno & i20 for volumes & are focusing on a premium, racier compact car? And thats why faster 5 gears rather than mileage oriented 6? Maybe I'm hoping for too much though...

Last edited by Reinhard : 16th September 2019 at 15:44. Reason: Spacing
Reinhard is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 16:15   #737
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
Saw the test mule pretty closely in heavy Pune traffic, the car is smaller than Baleno and also sits a little lower.
I honestly think Tata should use this slowdown at their advantage and launch the car after ironing out all niggles. The buyer sentiment is anyway pretty low right now so it makes sense to launch it next year with BS-6 engines.

That is great news.
Have been on the lookout for a smallish low sitting hatchback,with a decent NA petrol engine.
simeonovitch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 16:37   #738
BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayshouree View Post
Looks like the dashboard and door were designed as two different projects and integrated at the nth hour . There is no such thing as flowing from dashboard to doors, Also, look at the height of dashboard vs the window line.

Dear Tata, please have a look at Hyundai's dashboard and doors and how they meet to look like made for each other. For example i20, Creta, etc.
That is a design choice, not a demerit. Several companies including Honda have cars that do not have a dash which merges with the door panels. Infact the same dash design elements in 7 lac i10 and 27 lac Tucson can be termed as repetitive and boring.

I would like to see something different in 10-11 lac Altroz compared to 6 lac Tiago.

Except for the speedometer, I think the dash looks rather nice. Speedometer is a failure aesthetically. They should've implemented a better design.

Last edited by SaiSW : 16th September 2019 at 16:41.
SaiSW is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 18:02   #739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Well I for one, would like to see something different in a car which is not a Hyundai. This thing at least surely is different than what now a days are pretty similar and boring dashboards across brands. I'll give it to Tata design to be coming with fresh designs since last 2-3 years. Let's wait till better pictures are available with more light & perhaps till we get to see it in person. It might actually be quite good! A different design philosophy that perhaps doesn't believe in things flowing like fluid here and there (pun intended!).
Yes Reinhard, I agree with you, let's wait for the end product to see in person, I am always in for new things especially w.r.t the design. I really really love all the work that Tata is doing for their recent launches. BTW, I've just taken Hyundai as an example. For that matter, Most of the expensive cars, be it a Merc, Beemer, Audi, Volvo there is always that thing which flows from the dashboard to the doors which contribute to that upmarket look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
That is a design choice, not a demerit. Several companies including Honda have cars that do not have a dash which merges with the door panels. Infact the same dash design elements in 7 lac i10 and 27 lac Tucson can be termed as repetitive and boring.

I would like to see something different in 10-11 lac Altroz compared to 6 lac Tiago.

Except for the speedometer, I think the dash looks rather nice. Speedometer is a failure aesthetically. They should've implemented a better design.
SaiSW, It's indeed a choice, agree that it is not a demerit or a deal-breaker for that prospective customer. let's wait for the end product to see in person.
vijayshouree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 19:54   #740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...lower+smaller = an excellent drivers' car... Good if TML is actually trying to fight in the enthusiastic part of the spectrum (i.e. targeting lower sales numbers from word go) rather than making the Altroz a commuter car.
Doesn't it then make sense to let the experts from "JTP" do the job for TATA and create a brand out of it like AMG or M or our desi Cosworth.

Quote:
Perhaps they understand its futile to fight with Baleno & i20 for volumes & are focusing on a premium, racier compact car? And thats why faster 5 gears rather than mileage oriented 6? Maybe I'm hoping for too much though...
I hope your wishes come true and that TATA has indeed designed Altroz with this thought in mind and not with cost cutting or cheapness as their priority.

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 16th September 2019 at 19:56.
Old 17th September 2019, 09:23   #741
Vmv
BHPian

Quote:
Eagle eyes mate! Apply for the air force. Its a wonderful thing done. This is desperately needed & we shouldn't be surprised if this is the USP that sells the Altroz altogether.
Thanks mate
We need the car to be best in ride comfort and handling department. IMO there is chance to hit on both.
But I don't like the door pad & speedometer design , it looks so simple. No design enhancing at all. If they provide a fully digital instrument console , even as an option with 2 or 3 different design to choose if they don't do this other will do it!!

Tata is like Sony mobile , they will invent/create and implement features but they don't market it well. Others will copy and improvise it, and they will market it well.

Altogether Altorz it will be a good choice

Last edited by Vmv : 17th September 2019 at 09:27. Reason: Typo
Vmv is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 12:12   #742
Senior - BHPian

Tata is coming out with a new car at the wrong time. Cumulative sales for Tata was just above 7000 for all vehicles combined.

What is the differentiation that Altroz would have over Baleno/i20 ? It also looks low slung. I believe they should have concentrated on crossovers instead. But then they are not doing well there except Nexon.

I would be really worried if I were Tata. People dont seem to accept them after initial couple of months backlog. They have a perception issue in that people dont want modern looking, design overloaded cars from Tata.

Last edited by srishiva : 17th September 2019 at 12:13.
Old 17th September 2019, 17:30   #743
BHPian

Sorry, another dud in the making.

With those squarish tachometer and speedometer, 80 odd bhp petrol and 100 odd Diesel, all unsold Tata Steel put in there to make it 1300 odd kgs, this thing shall be hard to move on the road and off the shelf.

Something like a XUV 3OO specs with Figo Pricing can make this work, else another Tata Motors effort seems to go down the drainage.

And, and, Tata please learn not to Jack up prices all that often and please do not delete features at your will.

PS: This is not a rant, being an ex-Hexa owner, I feel sad the way things are being catered to @ TML.
Torquedo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 17:58   #744
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
With those squarish tachometer and speedometer, 80 odd bhp petrol and 100 odd Diesel, all unsold Tata Steel put in there to make it 1300 odd kgs, this thing shall be hard to move on the road and off the shelf.

Something like a XUV 3OO specs with Figo Pricing can make this work, else another Tata Motors effort seems to go down the drainage.
How do you know what the weight will be? That hasn't been published yet if I'm not mistaken. And more importantly, how on earth will TML manage XUV300 specs with Figo pricing? If that couldn't happen with a Nexon, how will it happen in the Altroz?
nikhilthegunner is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 18:16   #745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthegunner View Post
How do you know what the weight will be? That hasn't been published yet if I'm not mistaken. And more importantly, how on earth will TML manage XUV300 specs with Figo pricing? If that couldn't happen with a Nexon, how will it happen in the Altroz?
1) Check on the weights from the Tiago to the Hexa, TM vehicles are always on the heftier side.

2) You missed the "else" on my statement, had I known, I would be in Mr Butscheck shoes.

3) That is what the gist on my post was, if it doesn't happen, it shall not work for TML.

Let's keep it there, while you wait for the Altroz to succeed.

Last edited by Torquedo : 17th September 2019 at 18:18.
Old 17th September 2019, 19:13   #746
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1) Check on the weights from the Tiago to the Hexa, TM vehicles are always on the heftier side.
Sorry Torquedo but your estimate of 1300 kg is way off the mark. Infact Autocarindia had in their article published on 12/03/19 had exclusively mentioned that the Altroz base petrol model will be 961 kg in weight which is lesser than even the Tiago's base petrol variant. That's the beauty of Alpha platform which has enabled Tata to finally produce a lightweight car(relatively).

Even the top end diesel should not cross 1100 kg imo. But let's see what Tata has in store for us. Fingers crossed.

Autocarindia link is below

https://www.google.co.in/amp/s/www.a...parison-411902
ram87pune is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th September 2019, 08:22   #747
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, another dud in the making.
===========
PS: This is not a rant, being an ex-Hexa owner, I feel sad the way things are being catered to @ TML.
Pretty much every auto channel and websites reported that the modular platform will finally allow the much needed weight loss for Tata. I am wondering how you got the number 1300.

Weight will be below 1000 kilos for base petrol. Tata is already offering features from a segment above in Tiago, and I expect them to do the same on the Altroz.
About the pricing, while I do expect them to offer VFM pricing, xuv300 specs with Figo pricing is just asking too much. 9-9.5 on road for the diesel top end would be decent.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 19th September 2019 at 13:08. Reason: trimmed quoted post
SaiSW is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2019, 11:43   #748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Looks like he is talking from a bad experience with an Hexa. Tata's have been successful with Tiago, Nexon Their strength seem to be the small cars and people trust them with that as well.
Palio_2005 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2019, 07:19   #749
Distinguished - BHPian

As revealed earlier , Altroz will arrive in early 2020.

Quote:
Having sat in the Tata Altroz, we can confirm that it may not be as spacious inside (barring the 341-litre boot) as its competition. However, what will attract buyers to Tata’s premium hatch is its exterior design – its styling doesn’t stray too far from the striking concept that previewed it
Link
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th September 2019, 15:44   #750
BHPian

May be OT for this thread, but because Pratap is discussing the Altroz mock up with the Auto journos I thought it relevant here.

@Aditya can we expect to hear your experience pls
Attached Thumbnails
Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-20190927_151043.jpg  

uday.ere is offline   (8) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed