Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2020, 01:03   #1771
BHPian

Re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
This guy sure came close to it. There are atleast 3 others on consumer forums but I guess we can pretend they don't exist and keep praising them?
We were quite vocal w.r.t. the Harrier's deficiencies weren't we?

We'll find such videos with any brand.

Am I blindly praising Tata?

Here's my thread on the ordeal I faced with my Hexa.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-resolved.html (Brand new Tata Hexa won't start! Lying at dealer since 9 days EDIT : Resolved.)

I'm no blind fanboy. I'll call a spade a spade.

You can't have an expensive competetor come along with more features and compare it with the Altroz. Look at the price and see what you get for it.

I had said earlier. Want good looking and safe cars? Be ready to shell some cash out. And I guess Tata doesn't need to listen to people who say that 'we won't pay you more than this because you're Indian and make trucks'.
TROOPER is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 02:10   #1772
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

I do recall the title of your thread in its originality. I believe it took a shot at the "Gold Standard" tagline which the moderators for some weird reason decided to change later on. I guess you were angry at TaMo for the way they treated you with your new vehicle.

Anyway I pointed out those videos because you seemed to project that Harriers are immune to breakdowns unlike its rivals since no owner used an animal to highlight any issue which is far from reality going by the clutch burning issue that had plagued the Hexa and some of the Harriers aswell.

I hope people really stop defending brands just because they own one or because of its nation of origin and start calling a spade a spade instead of saying "But XYZ is more problematic than this ABC".
It helps nobody but the manufacturer who will continue ignoring the issues because it has a loyal fanbase who think they can do no wrong.

A top manufacturer has been on top of everything for so many decades with sub par products because of its loyal fanbase who shutdown any criticism because of some sort of pride for its origin and on some level nostalgia too. This also applies to two wheeler markets.
Nithesh_M is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 02:53   #1773
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
This guy sure came close to it.
He keeps emphasizing '20 lakh ka gaadi' but his language and attitude is not even worthy of 20 rupees. Frankly speaking, such videos are best avoided on our forum as we have members and readers who are very young, some even in school.

A better option IMO would be to edit the post in a way that it contains the problems he has faced but written in a language that follows TeamBHP etiquette.
OSH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 03:13   #1774
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSH View Post
He keeps emphasizing '20 lakh ka gaadi' but his language and attitude is not even worthy of 20 rupees. Frankly speaking, such videos are best avoided on our forum as we have members and readers who are very young, some even in school.
He is an owner after all who has paid said 20 lakhs. So I think he is just as much justified in his venting methods as was the gentleman who used donkeys to vent his frustration with his 20 lakh vehicle.

I wouldn't mind if mods deleted the video for containing foul language.
Nithesh_M is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 06:39   #1775
BHPian

Can we keep this discussion specific to Altroz, please post the videos of other models in their specific threads. Mods, please delete this post if you deem it's unnecessary. Some discussions above have no relation with Altroz.
punto_ is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 08:29   #1776
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
^^Panel gaps look huge and inconsistent. My initial impression based on this pic.

During my test drive I found the panel gaps to be fairly consistent. Might not be the tightest but they were neat. Yes the bonnet area and fuel lid had a wider gap. But it wasn't a deal breaker or ugly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
Inconsistency is TML’a forte. They haven’t learned this from their Harrier. Sad.
---

Haven’t they learnt anything from the messy Harrier launch a year ago? With regards to the Harrier, the damage is already done; and I wonder how much of this mild upgrade will help.
Nevertheless, whatever be the market demand; TATA has their own sweet way of working around things!---
Tata is learning. They are also improving very much. Newer launches definitely shows that. The Altroz is a solid product. The petrol engine is a weak point but I guess it will do the job. Rather than a 10-15 minutes test, only a real world driving with good gradients and loads will give a clear picture. A couple of things I would like to have improved apart from the power of the engine, is more ground clearance and a lower set dashboard with higher seating. But these are my personal choices.

But they do take their own sweet time for improving.

Last edited by RideRanger : 21st February 2020 at 08:33.
RideRanger is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 12:39   #1777
BHPian

Hello dear members!

While it may seem like a few are bashing on Tata, few of us here genuinely want Tata to do well. After all they are the only company who have not 1 but 2 cars with 5 star safety ratings. What's an even more matter of pride, Tata is an Indian company.

A good engine makes or breaks a car. I've already posted my test drive impressions earlier (post #1759). Both my dad and me had a go, and our test drive lasted about 35 mins, not 10-15 min, and believe me, this engine will NOT get the job done.

What baffles me is Tata have got everything spot on, superb build, superb safety, superb space, superb looks and yet they've messed up the HEART!

The sad truth is, this engine does not belong in a premium hatchback like Altroz. ( bad NVH & strained pulling power)

Tata needs to do something about the petrol engine and do it soon before all the positivity fizzes out. Bring in the nexon motor Tata, please.
John316_WRC is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 14:08   #1778
BHPian

Sooner or later, every discussion on Tata devolves to bashing . The same has happened here as well despite the fact that we are yet to see a TBHP review of Altroz and many are yet to even test drive it or experience it in the flesh.

It's right that TML doesn't have impeccable cars, it's right that their Customer Satisfaction Score is far from perfect (which OEM has it anyway), it's true that their dealerships still leave a lot to be desired but barring the initial Harrier goof-up, they have been improving incrementally with every single launch/iteration, at least product-wise.

That said, they must not be immune to the harshest criticism when they deserve it - no two ways about it. Many Tata-owners themselves have been quite vocal about the shortcomings or niggles. However, a cynical view and an ingrained predisposition against TML on grounds like - 'panel gaps' or 'service being a hit or miss' or 'poor engine' or 'missing features' makes for unjustified bashing. Let's evaluate these arguments;

Panel gaps - maybe visually displeasing to the keen-eyed but no deal-breaker.
ASS - has considerably improved in quality and service costs; and is more consistent too (saying this from personal experience)
Poor petrol engine - the engine's not enthusiast-friendly but suits the city drive just fine
Missing features - where do we draw the line on missing features and how do we decide what features are good/necessary and what are redundant/needless? In my 2017 Nexon, I don't feel anything missing (except a one-touch up windows).

Let's not even bring up the 5-star safety aspect lest people consider it the 'one of the few' things Tata has got right.

I don't claim to be an automotive guru and this is no fanboy-stuff but more like experience-based reasoning.
mroutlander is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 14:56   #1779
BHPian

Quote:
The sunglass holder is all but useless.
I see people calling the sunglasses holder and other utility spaces in Altroz useless, but I find most storage spaces in my Nexon quite useful. I have a leather sunglasses case which fits in the sunglasses holder all right. My wallet also fits in the wallet holder with some spare change beneath it. Co-passenger area has hooks for handbags or carry bags. My only problem is with the cup holders in the area between driver's and co-driver's seats. They aren't deep enough. Somebody accidentally keeps a cup, shaker, bottle over there and it messes with my access to gear lever and hand-brake. Should be unsafe.
zaphodb is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 15:05   #1780
BHPian

While Panel gaps and features are subjective and up to individual tastes - its fair enough not to comment on them.

I can however DO comment on the other two
ASS - Tata has come a long way and the service quality is at par with Maruti ( sometimes even faster considering the lesser number of cars). Cost for my Tiago auto and Tigor for the 1st year is approx 500 rs only. Washing quality and other works done are upto my expectation.

Petrol Engine - It ain't no Hyundai or Ignis for refinement ( my ignis is silky smooth compared to the tatas) and mileage is also a long way off compared to the Ignis.

HOWEVER the main reason i brought them -- my wife ( Japanese) will not even touch or sit in the Ignis especially on her drive out on the highways. Same for me also. I have never driven the Ignis on highway ( ignis is primarily for city drop off and pick up of kids by driver).

The reason we brought them or any Tatas were for comfort, safety, build ( by build i mean weight, pure weight) and high speed stability.

Plus the tiago/ tigor/ nano have such a sweet steering ( ignis is sticky) that makes them joy to steer around.

So let us all be pragmatic and express our disappointments. but not turn into bashing or this is better than that. Apples and oranges mates !
Nanolover is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2020, 00:47   #1781
OSH
BHPian

Finally here's a walkaround video of the XE variant. Its one of those rare cars whose base variant does not shout 'cheap' when looked at from the outside or inside.
Only thing which may not go down well with customers is that this variant will not accept a double DIN stereo without some jugaad. But then, living with an aftermarket single DIN stereo should be fine when you are getting a hot & sexy, 5 star safety rated car at this price.

Last edited by OSH : 22nd February 2020 at 00:51.
OSH is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2020, 09:15   #1782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSH View Post
Finally here's a walkaround video of the XE variant. Its one of those rare cars whose base variant does not shout 'cheap' when looked at from the outside or inside.
--

Only thing which may not go down well with customers is that this variant will not accept a double DIN stereo without some jugaad. But then, living with an aftermarket single DIN stereo should be fine when you are getting a hot & sexy, 5 star safety rated car at this price.

Yes the car does look good.

Tata provides some customization from factory itself to compensate the lack of stereo. The pack comes with 4 speakers, foldable key and a DT horn. The head unit is a smaller one though. But if the person opts for XM variant he could order the bigger unit.

The Altroz website has an online customizer. But the site is really slow.

Attaching an image from the brochure.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-alroz-customization-packs.jpg  

RideRanger is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2020, 11:15   #1783
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideRanger View Post
Tata provides some customization from factory itself to compensate the lack of stereo. The pack comes with 4 speakers, foldable key and a DT horn. The head unit is a smaller one though. But if the person opts for XM variant he could order the bigger unit.
Yes. It costs ~30k for the XE variant and ~45k for the XM variant.

Apart from these systems, we'll soon see the likes of Hypersonic get their android HUs with OEM like face-plates, so that should take care of the infotainment needs. Good speakers are anyways available at all price points.

Last edited by OSH : 22nd February 2020 at 11:17.
OSH is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 10:36   #1784
BHPian

Has TATA started working on a JTP version of the Altroz?

I am not sure how reliable these guys are https://indianauto.com/news/tata-altroz-jtp-nid4256 but the article does have a pic of an Altroz in camouflage with Coimbatore plates.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-tataaltrozjtp6242.jpg  

JithinR is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 19:16   #1785
BHPian

Re: Can Team-BHP please borrow your Tata Altroz? EDIT: 16 cars offered to us (page 8)

There is a Tata Motors employee who works for the design team in our building. I asked him: "When will the Altroz automatic be available?" He said 2-3 months, but he said he does not know the details of the gear box because he works for a different team.

Pradeep

Last edited by pradkumar : 25th February 2020 at 19:17.
pradkumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks