Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2016, 18:19   #31
BHPian

Re: Jaguar XE coming to India

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Nice, and surprised to see it only available in Petrol.

Do we have any indicative pricing for the XE?
According to Autocar, the base model would be starting at 38 Ex Showroom.

Other sources, indicate 45L

- Nucliomaniac
Nucliomaniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 13:02   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucliomaniac View Post
According to Autocar, the base model would be starting at 38 Ex Showroom.

Other sources, indicate 45L

- Nucliomaniac
Although the pricing is nothing to be happy about, I am glad that we have more choice. I wonder how long will this process of these companies taking the Indian customers for a ride. :( Referring to - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-bmw-audi.html
Old 13th January 2016, 13:06   #33
Senior - BHPian

I hope Jaguar remembers that BMW had to withdraw their brilliant 328 because of no demand even though the car was practically ordered on demand.

I am sure the diesel will follow eventually but it should be well before the XE starts to lose it's honeymoon phase in our market. Any delay beyond that & Indian market could forget the XE for good.
Old 13th January 2016, 13:27   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

I was in touch with one of the sales staff from Jaguar (Navnit Motors, Andheri).

He confirms the launch and will be going in for the product training next week, shall update once i have any more details
Old 13th January 2016, 13:31   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
I hope Jaguar remembers that BMW had to withdraw their brilliant 328 because of no demand even though the car was practically ordered on demand.

I am sure the diesel will follow eventually but it should be well before the XE starts to lose it's honeymoon phase in our market. Any delay beyond that & Indian market could forget the XE for good.
The BMW 328i was a limited (50 units ) import and given the fuel prices disparity back then, a petrol version was a big deal in itself, the face lifted 5 doesn't have a petrol option at all. Some buyers may consider petrol if their usage makes diesel overkill.

A high price launch edition like what was done by Benz with the new C, petrol only, does attract enough buyers with the novelty and exclusivity working in its favour. Maybe there aren't enough diesel engines to go around as the Ingenium series has only started production and is slated to be the big seller for practically all JLR products launched recently.
Old 13th January 2016, 18:25   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Trivia: Jaguar's earlier attempt - the X-Type - was based on a Ford Mondeo. It caused so much damage that the model nomenclature itself has been discontinued by Jaguar. No way they were going to call this car an X-Type.
This is a tragic falsification of the truth. Yes the platform was based on the Mondeo but that is where the similarity ends. The X-Type was different in every way shape and form, from the BIW to the suspension right down to the engine and gearbox calibration.

FYI, how do you think carmakers are able to launch a 'new' product every so often? The gestation period for a product spun off a brand new platform is 7-8 years, sometimes longer. If you think carmakers are magically able to pull out a brand new platform every 3-4 yrs (typical 'new' product gestation period) then you are sadly mistaken. Almost all cars on the road today are based on a platform that pre-dates them (how old the platform is depends on the manufacturer and their product planning strategy). This is true of all the major carmakers.

The X-Type suffered because ill-informed, technically gullible media caught on to something which is well understood in the automotive industry and blew the issue out of proportion.
E30_325iSport is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2016, 09:40   #37
BHPian

Called up Jaguar in Indore. There the sales guy did not even know about the February Launch; Still told me its sometime after 2 months!
I love the car and want to maybe pre-book one once the diesels come out but I am already getting scared of the incompetent 'Tata' staff at JLR. :/
Old 17th January 2016, 22:38   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

The latest information i got when I visited Jaguar showroom today was that the XE will be launched in 2 variants namely PURE & PORTFOLIO.
Prices will be 42L & 45L ex-showroom

Last edited by karan561 : 17th January 2016 at 22:40.
karan561 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 01:34   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
The latest information i got when I visited Jaguar showroom today was that the XE will be launched in 2 variants namely PURE & PORTFOLIO.
Prices will be 42L & 45L ex-showroom
I have to say this is a disaster. Merc retails top-end at 40L (ex-showroom). BMW 3 series goes for 35/39L ex showroom (before counting the big discounts).

At 45L ex, it will retail around 58/59L OTR in Bangalore.

There are better cars at this price.

It will sell initially though..
sriramv.iyer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 02:48   #40
BHPian

Another blunder in the waiting by JLR. It's amusing how they take the Indian customer for a ride and think they would get away with it. I really doubt their seriousness for the Indian market. It's one thing to make a car or a brand aspirational and it's another thing to keep pushing barely competent products at insane pricing.

All the automobile magazines had reported very competitive pricing at launch and JLR decides to disappoint once again. The 237 BHP motor in the Portfolio does sound juicy but not for 55 big ones on road Mumbai. The current XF seems incredible value now. Let's hope they come to their senses and revise their strategy at launch.

Last edited by silentscreamers : 19th January 2016 at 02:49.
silentscreamers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 03:38   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30_325iSport View Post
This is a tragic falsification of the truth. Yes the platform was based on the Mondeo but that is where the similarity ends. The X-Type was different in every way shape and form, from the BIW to the suspension right down to the engine and gearbox calibration.

FYI, how do you think carmakers are able to launch a 'new' product every so often? The gestation period for a product spun off a brand new platform is 7-8 years, sometimes longer. If you think carmakers are magically able to pull out a brand new platform every 3-4 yrs (typical 'new' product gestation period) then you are sadly mistaken. Almost all cars on the road today are based on a platform that pre-dates them (how old the platform is depends on the manufacturer and their product planning strategy). This is true of all the major carmakers.

The X-Type suffered because ill-informed, technically gullible media caught on to something which is well understood in the automotive industry and blew the issue out of proportion.
I wonder if they could change a few things about the platform or best change nothing at all and call it a brand new platform. Who is going to know or care unless we look at the body in white and then compare?
Old 19th January 2016, 17:52   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I wonder if they could change a few things about the platform or best change nothing at all and call it a brand new platform. Who is going to know or care unless we look at the body in white and then compare?
The word platform used to be restricted to the boardrooms and project planning offices of the manufacturers, it has now become mainstream because the media have picked up on the term and use it to bolster their reportage with 'technical' terms.

Manufacturers are guilty of this too as they make use of this in their marketing/hype about a particular product. Also, the definition of 'platform' to Maruti is completely different to that of Honda for example. In simplistic terms a platform is a template for a vehicle or a family of vehicles. It defines the 'hard points' of the family i.e suspension pick ups, passenger cell, drive configuration (RWD, FWD, 4WD, AWD plus engine and gearbox orientation).

The fact that a vehicle is based on a particular platform should have no real bearing on the end customer as all the interfaces to the customer can be differentiated adequately (interior, exterior). Yes it is true that the template dictates the fundamental traits of the vehicle family i.e you can't run RWD on a platform that is built to take FWD Transversely mounted hardware) however that is a matter of product placement and strategy, not an engineering drawback/advantage.

Basically this is another example of the motoring press using jargon that they don't fully understand.
E30_325iSport is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2016, 11:00   #43
BHPian

Bookings are now open. This is the advertisement I got and Feb 3rd is the launch

https://www.jaguar-testdrive.in/xe/?...paign=Pre-Buzz
Old 28th January 2016, 15:21   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentscreamers View Post
Another blunder in the waiting by JLR. It's amusing how they take the Indian customer for a ride and think they would get away with it. I really doubt their seriousness for the Indian market. It's one thing to make a car or a brand aspirational and it's another thing to keep pushing barely competent products at insane pricing.
oh come on, Don't be so harsh on them. I would say atleast they are making an attempt to create competitive environment for entry level luxo, which was governed mainly by german trio till now. And yeah, on the desh bhakti note, for the first time, part of our money spend on every XE, will be going to indian organization (TATA).

Also if you see competition, BMW just refreshed the 3 series prices to 45 ex for top end, so if jaguar also price XE at 45, it is atleast making an attempt to be reachable to more people in India. I sound excited, aint i? Actually i am and following below link on user experiences in UK since launch. http://www.xeforums.co.uk/viewforum....e8fc4ad61b8b9f

Although dealership and aftersales are different entities at all and a lot needs to be done there i believe.
Old 28th January 2016, 15:41   #45
Senior - BHPian

Are the petrol engines in the Jag XE the ford ecoboost 2 liter? From the power spec it seems to appear so.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks