Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2015, 21:18   #511
BHPian

Re: Renault's Kwid entry level hatchback unveiled EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 2.57 lakhs!

Its price and design are interesting and its always good to have competition, the customer wins. I have seen it on the road while it was undergoing testing in May this year. Size wise it will be a competitor to the Alto / Eon. Where people will wait before buying is the worry about dealer service network and parts availability.
Maruti and Hyundai are no brainers in the peace of mind from being able to get service across the country.
Quality/reliability from Nissan Renault has not also been really proven as only the Duster has sold while other models have all been selling in lower numbers.
Renault Nissan need this to really sell well. I believe it will do well in the first few months but won't really challenge Maruti (which has established presence in Tier 2 and 3 Cities which are huge growth markets). What happens after that will depend on all the reviews of actual customers.
Old 24th September 2015, 21:48   #512
BHPian

Re: Renault's Kwid entry level hatchback unveiled EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 2.57 lakhs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
In addition to the features of the RxE, you get these in the RxE(O) for the 6,000 rupees extra:

a single-DIN stereo with radio AM/FM (with antenna) & MP3,
Bluetooth audio streaming & handsfree telephony,
an USB & an Aux-in Port,
two Front speakers, &
a 12V power socket.

Also, in addition to all the features of the RxT, you get a Driver airbag and a steering wheel leather wrap insert in the RxT(O) for the 9,000 rupees extra.
Thanks Raven avi for the clarification. The option packs are absolute VFM . The top end variant along with the optional accessories will be about 4.3- 4.5 lacs max.
The Kwid would surely take the share from the Eon and Nano, a few from Alto too. I would not be surprised if it draws customers looking for Wagon R and i10 though completely different, the pricing would be tempting as it is as big as the 2, not as sophisticated though.
Kwid will definitely help Renault regain lost momentum due to Duster slide. More cars in the sub 10 lac segment will aid growth prospects provided they cash in on the Kwid hype and back it up with super stellar A.S.S

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 24th September 2015 at 21:50.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 21:52   #513
BHPian

4.5L on road for this car is mouth-watering. I will definitely go to the showroom and see how it actually looks. Was looking up the brochure and saw they it uses electric power steering. Wondering why? Is it cheaper than hydraulic? Do all smaller cars go for electric?
Old 24th September 2015, 22:20   #514
A M
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanak1 View Post
Was looking up the brochure and saw they it uses electric power steering. Wondering why? Is it cheaper than hydraulic? Do all smaller cars go for electric?
Electric power steering is cheaper and zero maintenance as well. Not just small cars even the new breed of BMWs is using Electric steering. They say it improves efficiency also as it does not draw any power from the engine for the hydraulic pump.
Not sure about anything else but electric steering is not as good as a hydraulic unit in terms of steering feel.
A M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 22:22   #515
BHPian

Excellent pricing. I think, the only option in front of maruti is to position celerio against kwid. But this will call for huge price cut for celerio, alto k10, alto 800.

I want the amt version of kwid. Hope Renault will soon offer ABS and dual airbags variant with amt. I don't mind paying more. But ABS and airbags are must now.
KMohanan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 22:25   #516
Senior - BHPian

While the price is mouth watering and will generate initial interest, Renault has quite an uphill task to compete against Alto, simply because
- Maruti's sales and service network is too large to compete with Renault's.
- Maruti is very aggressive in marketing small cars in tier3 cities and in some cases even rural areas. I've seen them making temporary sheds (showrooms ?) in villages around Pune.
- Alto has created a mental barrier in people less educated about cars and automobiles in general, many of these buyers will compare three lug nuts against four, and a single wiper against two. (It sounds stupid but it is true)
- For first time buyers, taking a leap of faith in brand Renault will be tough.

I think Kwid will find more takers in bigger cities who are looking at buying a second car for city commuting or for their spouses.

Anyways, after a long long time, we have an alternative to the ugly looking alto. How it fares, time will tell, but a good start. Thank you Renault.
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 23:14   #517
Senior - BHPian

Unbelievable pricing !
If this car doesn't do well because of the silly Indian herd mentality then i can tell you for a fact that many manufacturers are just going to give up their ambitions of building cars for India. Why would anyone want to spend millions in developing cars when all entry level buyers want to buy is a Maruti !
Renault deserves 10-12k units a month and nothing less for this machine !
nik_kapur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 23:18   #518
BANNED

Renault now has a winner in hand. I can see Maruti running for cover.

If Maruti doesn't wake up and give a better equipped Alto 800, then I can see the market share decreasing. Although pan India Renault has around 250 dealership versus 1500 for Maruti, selling the 800 will get difficult.

A generic question: Kwid is being compared mainly with Alto 800 and Eon. Right? Are there any other direct competitors to the Kwid? Where goes Datsun Go, Spark and Nano figure in this grid?
Old 24th September 2015, 23:34   #519
BHPian

What a move by Renault ?!?!

Absolutely terrific pricing. Coupled with all that they are offering, this is truly the most VFM proposition in the segment. Brilliant going Renault

If only I could convince my dad to get rid of his 1 year old Alto800 VXi.... I'm not in need of a car at the moment, but if I was, this would have made a serious contender for the 2nd car at home.

Hope the KWID really dents the sales of the alto. Maruti has taken the Alto for granted (compared to the older model). Time they get a kick in the back to give us better products.
drhoneycake is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2015, 00:00   #520

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Renault now has a winner in hand. I can see Maruti running for cover.

A generic question: Kwid is being compared mainly with Alto 800 and Eon. Right? Are there any other direct competitors to the Kwid? Where goes Datsun Go, Spark and Nano figure in this grid?
I think the Alto K10 is a more direct rival to the Kwid - given that it's priced almost the same, variant-to-variant. Right?
RitanRex is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2015, 00:42   #521
Senior - BHPian

This is seriously so attractive am going from nowhere-near-purchase-need to trying to justify this and finally switching from the OHC. With all the self drive options for when-you-need-a-bigger-car, there are plenty of reasons for sure!
zenx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2015, 02:00   #522
BHPian

Masterstroke by Renault here! They certainly took their time with it, but the final result is I dare say, perfect!! As apparently everybody has said by now, the pricing is unbelievable!! That's the cherry on the cake actually. If Renault can stick to this price for a while, I can't imagine the impact this little wonder can create.
And remember, it's a 'Phoren' logo car as well?! Important factor for the status-conscious (Yes, there are many of those in this segment too). If this car were made by say, Tata, I bet it wouldn't have garnered half the buying interest as it does right now. People would've heaped praises on it and wished Tata with all good words, and still run for the nearest Maruti showroom anyway. "Alto has waiting, you know??"

Anyways, Renault here have nailed just so many things in such a small car for a low spending market!! Whichever way you look at it, it seems an absolute champ, a revolution in the current scene. Have tried to list some of them:-

1) The looks
Its size, (looks bigger than their Pulse too, I guess) height, and the overall SUV-like form factor should make the SUV-aspirants, and in general, the 'badi gaadi' folks around go mad on it!! Apart from that, the styling itself is really good, appeals to all, and is balanced. No stubby boots or awkward profiles here. So, apparently no Nanos and 800s with tailgate spares now, people! (Maybe Kwids with tailgate spares next?)

2) The interior
Now it's a small car after all, and no one would expect a secret cavern inside one, but it isn't at all cramped at the back. And it would have a slightly higher driving position than the Alto/Eon due to the more height, so again, 'badi gaadi', as mentioned earlier.
Another major thing, it feels unmistakably budget-class, but the design is modern and the best part, Renault have managed to put in that touchscreen system with sat-nav and bluetooth.
Now a touchscreen system with smartphone connectivity as standard at this price point would have a much greater effect in creating an impression than it seems from the outside. Well played, Renault! And then the very big (read Dzire big) boot. Full marks.

3) The drivetrain
This part has to do more with the kerb weight figure of the Kwid than the power figure. Renault knew that they would have a small engine to play with here, and they've been brilliant to tip the scales at just ~660 Kg (And again, remember it looks like a 'badi gaadi'!).
So on paper, despite having a just about decent motor, it is more than par for the segment. A K10 may beat it in a traffic light drag race, but most customers in this segment are used to really low powered engines that feel jerky, need you to push them hard to get them going, and struggle on the highway. If Renault manage to avoid this much, it will do the job quite well. And according to reports from press drives, barring early lag, the engine has decent punch. And it reportedly rides quite well too.
The rest will be handled by the magical 25 Kmpl figure. And Renault can also make the catchy 'Most Efficient Car' claims with this one. Wonderful!

4) The price
Now what has been left to say in this department? The price tag has evidently shocked everyone here and outside. Renault has exceeded everyone's expectations with this. It's the pricing that has made everybody say what I repeat again, if this can't shake up Maruti for good, nothing can. Hopefully, it is not just an introductory price, and they resist the eventual greed and keep it the same later.

5) The owner experience and attention to detail
Renault have left no stone unturned this time, and have made the overall experience really solid, with lots of variants to choose from, a very good optional accessory package never before seen at this price point, and also claim lowest cost of ownership in the segment. That is another important claim that would help them to overcome the public's trust on Maruti.
Another thing they can market about this project is the 'Made in India' tag. So patriotic folks should be happy with the brand too.
Also, they have hired Ranbir Kapoor as the ambassador for youth connect and have smartphone apps for various stuff related to the car.
The dealer network is quite thin, but this car can change that as well. With popularity, the dealer network will expand considerably as time passes by.

Due to all of this, the Kwid can be expected to seriously dent Alto and WagonR sales, virtually kill the Celerio, almost kill the Eon, and put Tata into serious tension about the Kite. A top ten birth for a fairly long term is all but certain for this car, but it has potential to aim even higher, maybe even right in the top three cars sold each month.
For Renault themselves, this can be the car to give them recognition apart from the Duster, and really make them a household brand, which will help in sales of very competent cars in other segments like the Fluence in the future. And remember, Renault have also spoken of adding a bigger petrol motor, an AMT, and possibly a diesel too in the near future. That sounds just too good.

However, I don't think Maruti will sit quietly either. Not when their highest selling car is under threat. They might first start with more equipment (most likely starting with a touchscreen HU), or heavy discounts, or both, on the K10 and WagonR and maybe introduce small cosmetic facelifts or limited editions, before starting to develop a real rival to the Kwid.
Though I feel what they really need to offer to match the Kwid's package value is a WagonR spec car at an Alto price. Which sounds very difficult to me. Maybe they will have a cladding-equipped 'Cross' version of the WagonR to compete with the Kwid. But they have to price it well enough too. Which means bringing it half a segment down. Hence, Maruti won't have a real answer to the Kwid anytime soon.

Same with Hyundai. They have a set formula for success now, great looks, loads of features and not much fuss otherwise. But implementing that at this price point will be a real challenge.
They can't do anthing much with the existing Eon either. So nothing less than an all new car will cut it for them. But that will take a year or two at least for development. And Hyundai aren't exactly famous for killer pricing these days. So Renault have their fair share of limelight in the meanwhile.

Last edited by mukul32 : 25th September 2015 at 02:19.
mukul32 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2015, 02:03   #523
BHPian

Maruti had the resale trust factor. People in the hinterland or a city dweller know, it is the resale market which decides success, eg Alto.
Kwid is a big threat to established players, in new sales, as well as the running Maruti etc will now
depreciate more in resale market. Amazing product by Renault.
Old 25th September 2015, 04:48   #524
Senior - BHPian

That is amazing pricing by Renault. It is an incredible car for the money and something that even Tata Nano can learn a thing or two from. I wish this car becomes a success read huge success. A one horse race isn't enjoyable.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2015, 07:08   #525
BHPian

Renault have hit the Bulls eye with the KWID, in fact they have hit it so hard , Maruti/Hyundai are bleeding with their mouth wide open wondering as to how this was possible.

This is honest pricing from Renault after the pricing fiasco by Hyundai/Maruti with Creta/Scross.

I see a lot of folks apprehensive about service, in today's age if a car has been thoroughly tested and built to last we should not be overly worried. In fact some of the cars mostly diesel terrains have a service interval of 1 year. To my knowledge I haven't come across major concerns with Duster and hope the same DNA is retained with the KWID as well.

If a product is built to last, people wouldn't mind taking their priced possession even for a few hundred kilometers for service. I still remember the days when we had fever Bajaj service stations and my uncle used to travel over 100 kms to have it serviced. They always used to have a smile when they came over with their Hamara Bajaj after travelling a few hours.

I am sure the KWID is also going to bring the same smile in a lot of families

Last edited by Chillout : 25th September 2015 at 07:09.
Chillout is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks