Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2006, 19:31   #31
BHPian

Believe me guys. However useless or useful this test was, folks in my office are discussing a lot the adv. in TOI Bangalore about this. Round 1 won by reminding people of Fiesta again? God knows.
Old 7th September 2006, 21:53   #32
BANNED

hey! guys this record is true. i read in some mag (dont remember which 1) that a feista s tank capacity is 45L but but can hold up to 49L bcos of the pipeline which holds nearly 4L of fuel .and did u guys read the whole review in autocar its given that 52.75L of petrol and 49.89L of diesel was consumed
Old 18th September 2006, 11:01   #33
Senior - BHPian

All this talk about the experiment being done only to show that cars deliver more FE under ideal conditions and that it is the infrastructure (or lack of it) that causes the decrease in FE in real life conditions is just hog wash. I do not credit the guys at Ford with that much stupidity.

The idea was just to capture eyebal*s (they have used this a lot in print ads since the experiment). Especially of the average person, who on reading this will be misled into thinking that this car delivers phenomenal FE and goes ahead to purchase the car, only to get disappointed. ASCI should actually look into these advts as they are misleading.

Just a comparo : They mention 32 kmpl for their diesel car under ideal condition. A tbhp-ian from Blore says he gets 13kmpl, which is not even half of the ideal figure. So for the 1.4 petrol, where they get 22 in ideal conditions, what the actual FE would be is anyones guess...
Old 18th September 2006, 11:26   #34
Senior - BHPian

Ford has won in its move. It has turned more heads with their advt quoting, fiesta has entered the limca book of records for best mileage (I had not seen that advt, but sure that small * would be there on the top
Old 18th September 2006, 12:05   #35
Senior - BHPian

They sure have succeeded in generating consumer interest.

My Dad, who is currently looking at a C-segmenter, was leaning towards the Fiesta, after these ads came out. Had a chat with him to point out how the exaggerated ideal figures were arrived at and how it is impossible to even get half the claimed figures in daily life.
Old 18th September 2006, 12:11   #36
Senior - BHPian

Guess with those kind of ideal conditions - I could dethrone the Fiesta driving my Octy. What did the Fiesta give ? 31 kmpl ? I get 33 kmpl driving on normal roads .

Autocar , are you listening ?

Last edited by normally_crazy : 18th September 2006 at 12:12.
Old 18th September 2006, 12:28   #37
Team-BHP Support

I remember long time back Autocar(or was it Auto India, I remember the editor was Hormazd) reported on a mileage competition. The winner was around 40kmpl zen diesel, with indica and octy close behind.
In ideal conditions, it is not impossible to sqeeze 35kmpl+ from a diesel engine.
I have sqeezed 22kmpl from indigo in an highway run, and I wasnt even trying.
Old 18th September 2006, 12:54   #38
BHPian

You are right, even I managed to get 22-23kmpl on Mumbai-Pune expressway, with four people on board with A/C and that too touching speeds of 120-130km/h with my V2 diesel. It is not that difficult to extract that kind of figures from a diesel engine. 32kmpl rather looks too easy to achieve in the ideal conditions. It is nothing but a marketing gimmick, but not bad though, even the other companies should come out with their numbers.
Old 18th September 2006, 13:00   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdoll
even the other companies should come out with their numbers.
Yes, that's a nice idea.
Old 18th September 2006, 13:09   #40
BHPian

its a very old thing which has been going on for years frm different car manufacturers in india
Old 18th September 2006, 21:27   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise
Ford has won in its move. It has turned more heads with their advt quoting, fiesta has entered the limca book of records for best mileage (I had not seen that advt, but sure that small * would be there on the top
Surely Ford has really done it in this round.... Generally the car manufacturers claim really high mileage figures quoting from pupular mags... But people are not easily convinced this way coz its common knowledge what the advertisers pay these mags...
The stealer this time around was the involvement of Limca Book of Records... This has actually given "credibility" (if at all i should be using this word) to their really outrageous mileage claims of the fiesta... People are surely talking.. after all who will question the Limca Book!!! Way to go marketing guys
Old 18th September 2006, 23:46   #42
kdb
BHPian

Guys.. watever it is.. may be its for the sake of record .. but wat we gather from it is that if we drive on ideal speeds with ideal gear shifts .. we can achieve good mileage figures... as I was also shocked with the report ..i tried to do some experiment like this lastweek on my car (Fiesta 1.4 petrol)...

First let me tell u that i travel everyday from Delhi-Noida and thats around 35 kms one side .. I got my tank full last to last friday and told the petrol pump guy to not overfill the car with petrol and stop when the nozzle stops automaitically for the first time ..

i kept my driving speed at 50kmph to 55kmph max on the 5th gear with 1500 -1600 rpm most of time .. I always used to change my gear at the 2000 rpm mark .. man it was very frustrating but i just felt like giving it a try ..

Today (after 9 days) my trip meter had a reading of 593.. when i went to petrol pump for the tank full and the tank was full in 36 liters of petrol with the first stop.. and then i calculated the mileage... to my surprize it gave me 593/36 = 16.47 kmpl!!! .. i was stunned .. and i realized one thing today that if we drive on speeds like this with this kind of gear shift we would defintely get good mileage but lot of frustration also

Anyways i beleive this record is true cause if i can get this good mileage in city then on ideal roads and expert drivers they can achieve far better..

I agree that the record doesnot belong to fiesta or ford or autocar .. wat this record makes us understand is by driving slow and neat we can always get great mileage.

Though the fact remains that I am not going to try it again ... its a horrible feeling when auto's and scooter overtake u
Old 19th September 2006, 10:14   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb
Anyways i beleive this record is true cause if i can get this good mileage in city then on ideal roads and expert drivers they can achieve far better..
kdb, nobody is doubting the record or saying that Ford used fraudulent means to get those figures. What rankles is that this was done to snare gullible consumers who will buy the car thinking that they can achieve such FE, and will end up disappointed.

If a Fiesta1.4 petrol can return 22kmpl in those conditions, imagine what an Esteem can do or for that matter a NHC or Baleno. I am sure that in similar conditions these cars could return atleast 50% more than that.
Old 19th September 2006, 11:04   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
If a Fiesta1.4 petrol can return 22kmpl in those conditions, imagine what an Esteem can do or for that matter a NHC or Baleno. I am sure that in similar conditions these cars could return atleast 50% more than that.
So what is your point SB? I think you are getting unnecessarily worked up about this ad......would you go & buy the Fiesta just because of this ad? No, in fact in your case, you would go out of your way to discourage people (as you did your dad) so....what's your point is what I'm asking?

No offense meant but maybe you should write to Maruti & Honda asking them to start a similar ad campaign

Last edited by suman : 19th September 2006 at 11:05.
Old 19th September 2006, 11:19   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
So what is your point SB? I think you are getting unnecessarily worked up about this ad......would you go & buy the Fiesta just because of this ad? No, in fact in your case, you would go out of your way to discourage people (as you did your dad) so....what's your point is what I'm asking?
I am able to see thru their strategy - like other guys on the forum, which might not be the case with an average customer. My point is that this is not a fair strategy to increase consumer footprint, and a questionable advertising practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
No offense meant but maybe you should write to Maruti & Honda asking them to start a similar ad campaign
I guess it is products with a deficiency that usually use such advertising measures to cover up the deficiency. A Honda or a Suzuki is known for FE and would not need to resort to such tactics to bring out an advantage which people know anyway about.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 19th September 2006 at 11:20.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks