Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your A/C usage
yes, i use it almost 100 % in all seasons and it keeps my interiors clean 180 74.07%
yes, i use it only in summers 30% of the time on an average and when required like in rains 26 10.70%
Yes, only if people in the car demand it 13 5.35%
Yes, ocassionally when the heat is unbearable and it decreases fuel efficiency. 12 4.94%
No, It consumes a lot of fuel and decreases my fuel efficiency. 0 0%
Yes, Benefits of using A/C( clean air, clean interiors)) are more than not using the A/C( increased fuel efficiency) 80 32.92%
No, Benefits of using A/C( clean air, clean interiors)) are not more than not using the A/C( increased fuel efficiency) 1 0.41%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2021, 19:06   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
My car windows are always rolled up.

Almost never use the AC when I'm driving alone however hot it may be. I prefer a non AC environment.

Which city do you drive in to be able to drive without an AC and with windows rolled up. Here in the North I'd die of suffocation and heat.

I have windows always rolled up and the AC always on except for maybe a month during peak winter.
Old 17th March 2021, 19:12   #47
Senior - BHPian

Re: How much of A/C do you use in your cars and why!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
..Here in the North I'd die of suffocation and heat.
Totally agree about dire need to use AC at your place. Even I would have to use AC there In Bangalore its quite alright without AC and thats where could be commuting alone.

Anywhere else I've driven, I have company and AC always ON rule applies.
Old 17th March 2021, 19:30   #48
BHPian

For me, it depends on the car.
When in my Ecosport, AC is on 100% of the time. As against this, in my Nano I turn it on only when the need arises. The Nano has a small capacity engine and burdening it with AC makes matters a little more stretched. However, if I am driving it on open highway (Yes, I have taken it out to multiple places) the AC stays on 100% of the time. I try to compensate the power loss by using sport mode / manual mode when the need arises.

Other than the above two cars, I hardly ever used AC in my Alto F8D. AC would bog down the engine considerably.

Last edited by Sheel : 18th March 2021 at 09:32. Reason: As requested.
Old 17th March 2021, 19:33   #49
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

My car windows are always rolled up and the A/C is always on. If and only if I’m in some mountain ranges with good roads do I roll down.
Old 17th March 2021, 20:19   #50
BHPian

For me it's AC always on unless driving through jungle with cold breeze. AC is not to keep chilled, infact I hate when people push the AC temp setting to the lowest, I always keep it around 23 or 24 to avoid sudden change in temp when stepping in or out of the car.

On highways, it's impossible to drive with windows down. The buffeting sound of the wind gives me headaches. And in city, the pollution and constant honking noises ensure my windows are up.

So for peace of mind, AC always on.
justwheels is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 20:24   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

100% - from our old Esteem days, it never had a good AC like Zen though. The interiors remain super clean, so does your clothes, your face, very relaxing place to be in with all the chaos going on outside.
Old 17th March 2021, 21:12   #52
BHPian

I keep A/C on almost all the time except, during a night drive near the beach. Open window drive near the ocean, late in the night is therapeutic with the cool ocean air gushing inside the car.
Old 17th March 2021, 22:10   #53
BANNED

I use AC 100% of time, no matter what the season is. It keeps interior clean especially the roof liner. Also I feel fresh even after a long drive. Dust and all those noises can be kept outside as the windows are rolled up. But the most fun I experienced was the moment when AC is switched off in the first generation Maruti Alto. It just takes off like a turbo charged engine.

Last edited by pavi : 17th March 2021 at 22:13.
Old 17th March 2021, 22:17   #54
Senior - BHPian

Almost 100% of the times with AC on.
Blame it on the city dust and smoke bowls, coupled with the need to listen to good music while on the highways.
Old 17th March 2021, 22:26   #55
BHPian

I prefer driving with the windows rolled up and with the A/C on. Keeps the interiors clean. Plus who would want to breathe in the outside air with the horrible AQI's that we have nowadays in the cities? I do occasionally roll down the windows when I visit my native town or countryside to breathe in the fresh air. But in the city, my Tigor HVAC does its job pretty well, and I can enjoy the Harman ICE to its fullest, without disturbing anyone outside.
Old 17th March 2021, 22:26   #56
BHPian

I would prefer to roll down windows and get fresh air. Unfortunately, there is lots of construction here in Hyderabad, and the roads are very dusty around my home and work and vehicle tyres kick up lot of dust. So I am forced to use A/C just to get clean air to breathe. Wherever the roads are better and less construction, I turn off a/c and roll down windows.
Old 17th March 2021, 22:30   #57
Senior - BHPian

It's 100% AC on all the time, especially in the city conditions with so much pollution and dust in the air.

I see that the poll is created in the year 2006, back then the air quality was way better than it is today and Bangalore was then a real Garden city. I really miss those days

Nowadays benefits of rolling down windows for fuel economy is very negligent, I feel and gradually we will end up paying much more for interior cleaning of the car.

I roll down the windows only to enjoy the cool and clean breeze on some Hill stations or in the late nights or early in the mornings drives, when there is little no no traffic around.
sridhar24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 10:49   #58
BHPian

I usually use the AC almost all the time. For a change, when I travel alone in highways on evenings/night I roll down the windows just a bit and switch off the AC. No specific reason just a change since sometimes you are just bored :P

When people are on board, AC is always used.

But the change is mileage is really high with AC on/off. With some sedate driving and no AC I have managed to get almost 20 kmpl in the Xylo! But it is rare as sedate is not my style.
chinmaypillay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2022, 16:12   #59
Senior - BHPian

In city, windows rolled up always. AC switched on for short duration intermittently, longer when weather is hot.

In highways,windows rolled down about 15-20%. Generally AC is switched off. Only when starting to drive after car has been parked without shade, AC will be on for a few minutes after opening the doors to let the hot air out.

When it rains, AC will be on intermittently to aid defrosting the windshield.
Old 13th February 2022, 10:34   #60
BHPian

I generally don't use AC during early morning hours. But I use it all the time, the primary reason is that I can't stand the diesel exhaust smell, it triggers headache. The secondary reason is it allows me to keep the interior of the car clean.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks