Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2015, 10:38   #226
Senior - BHPian

Re: National Green Tribunal says, 10 year old Diesel Vehicles banned in Delhi

Resale value of diesel cars in the market will plummet for sure.Will this ban now extend to rest of the cities in the future?

Last edited by rakesh_r : 14th July 2015 at 10:41.
Old 14th July 2015, 11:46   #227
BHPian

The only issue is that the other metros quickly follow the lead from Delhi. so unless you live in the jungle somewhere there is no point in buying these aging vehicles from Delhi.

Come to think of it, the NGT might also impose restrictions in jungles/environmenetally sensitive areas. Check out the restrictions for the Rohtang Pass
http://www.motoroids.com/news/nation...-rohtang-pass/
Old 14th July 2015, 19:30   #228
BHPian

Baseless. NGT comprises of some nuts. Even if the ban is implemented there is going to be no change at all in the pollution levels of Delhi. Till the time the whole pollution checking process is not overhauled nothing will work. The PUC for Fuel policy will also hold good to curb pollution. But not this baseless ban at all.
Old 15th July 2015, 10:22   #229
Senior - BHPian

Also, @mustangboss302, what about all the adulterated fuel going around. See the umpteen threads here on reliable pumps is ....
Old 15th July 2015, 10:55   #230
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm, so this stacks up the odds against the diesel vehicles even further:
1. High initial price
2. Faster drop in resale value

Which is in a way fine, since Govt's aim via different duty structure is to ensure that diesel is always cheaper than petrol (after being "de-regulated") for public/goods carriers not for personal vehicles.

Last edited by alpha1 : 15th July 2015 at 10:56.
Old 15th July 2015, 11:22   #231
Distinguished - BHPian

The NGT has put forward a few more pointers to the Central Government regarding air pollution caused by diesel vehicles.

While pointing out that the number of diesel cars has jumped to 60% now from a mere 4% back in 2000, it has suggested that the number of passenger cars registered every year should be capped, or freezed at last year's numbers.

It has also suggested that all diesel vehicles should comply with BS-IV emission norms, if it has to lift the ban on cars more than 10 years old.

Quote:
Not only is the number of diesel engines growing but also they tend to be bigger than petrol engines. "Whereas close to 87 percent of the new petrol cars sold in 2010-11 had engine size less than 1,400cc, more than 40 percent of diesel cars had engines that are more than 1,500cc."

The note also states that sales of utility vehicles and multipurpose vehicles which are largely diesel-powered have grown by 40.4 percent and 60.7 percent, respectively.

It also wants all diesel vehicles to comply with BS-IV emission norms even if it lifts the ban on those that are more than 10 years old. For this, it has suggested that the Delhi government and municipal corporations consider fitting old vehicles with catalytic convertors, diesel oxidation filters, diesel particulate filters, etc.

It also wants a "substantial" hike in the cess on diesel from the current 25 paise per litre.
ET Auto
Old 18th July 2015, 12:45   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Can you elaborate on this please?

My car will be 10 in august this year, and I will not have to approach the RTO, that I understand.However, my insurance also lapses in august, and I am renewing it. Will that cause the car to pop up on someone's radar?

Since your original registration is valid until 2020; you do not need to lose sleep over this ban.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2015, 13:24   #233
Senior - BHPian

Automobiles can last for 25 years or more! The replacement of one negates all the "green" one associates with newer tech (and it's moved real slow) and age. The pressure needs to be on better design, better build - even if it's a little more expensive - and things that last. That is what will solve the ecological impact, not planned and aided obsolescence.
zenx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2015, 17:51   #234
Senior - BHPian

I hope this gives the sorely needed push to the after market for diesel-to-cng conversion, to get their act together into an organized sector, with the necessary statutory permits and RTO approvals.This will extend the life of ageing Boleros, Scorpios(including mine!) and assorted other diesels.
Old 11th August 2015, 21:10   #235

Learned Team BHP members,

I stay in NCR/ Delhi & have an extremely well maintained Scorpio (diesel) whose registration is valid till 2020 but it completes 10 years in August 2015. So does it mean that the 10 year rule by NGT in NCR will apply to my car also and i wont be able to drive it in NCR?

I am really losing sleep.. i dont want to simply sell of this so very well maintained car for dimes... i want to really keep it and run!

Team BHP members pls pls advise what is the course available for me?

regards
Dilip
Old 13th August 2015, 06:10   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shardil View Post
Learned Team BHP members,

I stay in NCR/ Delhi & have an extremely well maintained Scorpio (diesel) whose registration is valid till 2020 but it completes 10 years in August 2015. So does it mean that the 10 year rule by NGT in NCR will apply to my car also and i wont be able to drive it in NCR?
I also have a well maintained Toyota innova of similar vintage in good condition. I am not getting any decent offers for resale since they say that re registration is also difficult. Can forum members help if it's possible to register it in another state away from NCR and then sell it? Or is there any other work around for the ban.
Old 13th August 2015, 17:08   #237
BHPian

Government is considering giving financial incentives of up to Rs 1.5 lakh on surrender of over-ten-year-old vehicles to check pollution and address road safety concerns, Transport Minister Nitin Gadkari today said. -

Source - http://indianexpress.com/article/ind...nitin-gadkari/

Rs. 30,000 for a 10 year old car is pretty low and may not have any takers.

The Government needs to also take into account the Road-tax paid for 15 years at the time of vehicle purchase.

Eventually, I think that nothing will happen. NGT will pass the orders and the Government will keep on coming with new plans and policies.
Old 14th August 2015, 13:40   #238

A very strange thing has happened with me, I HAD a 2006 Mahindra Scorpio, 9.5 years old and I was thinking of selling it amidst speculations of the NGT order being passed and plummeting resale value, until last month, my vehicle got stolen from outside my swimming club. Now the insurance IDV is coming out to be Rs. 2.6 lakh. This sum is anytime better than what Mr. Gadkari is offering us. I don't know how to react to this situation, should I lament or consider it as a Godsend, now that the ban is almost put into force.
akshat15 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2015, 14:39   #239
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't know if this has been discussed before, but a few of us were discussing this on Whatsapp. All the diesel car owners in Delhi would have paid the life time road tax for atleast 15 years at the time of buying the car. And now suddenly the govt has put a ban on these cars against plying after 10 years. So what happens to that road tax amount that they collected for the extra 5 years? Will they refund it now? Or are they legally correct in banning the car when they themselves collected road tax for 15 years in the first place?
Old 14th August 2015, 14:57   #240

The government is returning you the road tax for the remaining five years in the form of the 30k, so it's no incentive at all. I guess the best option is to keep our cars unlocked in the middle of the night and get them picked up by thieves and then claim the IDV (which definitely will be more than the incentive) from insurance company.
akshat15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks