Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2015, 18:33   #1
Team-BHP Support

Tata Nano Twist XE launched at Rs. 2.06 lakh

Tata Motors has introduced a new base variant of the Nano Twist in India. Dubbed XE, the new variant is priced at Rs. 2.06 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi).

To differentiate the XE from the top-of-the-line XT, Tata Motors has given it black bumpers, door handles and side mirrors instead of colour-coded units. Chrome strips at the front and rear, fog lamps, full wheel covers, roof-mounted antenna and roof spoiler. The car is available in two body colours - meteor silver and royal gold.

On the inside, the XE gets a black dashboard, black fabric upholstery on the seats and door trim. Like the Nano Twist XT, the XE is equipped with power steering and air conditioning. However, it misses out on a heater, music system, front power windows, rear parcel shelf and a 12V power socket. Other features that have been left out include central locking and remote keyless entry.

The Nano Twist XE uses the same 624 cc, 2-cylinder, MPFi engine and 4-speed manual gearbox as other variants of the Nano.

Tata Nano Twist XE launched at Rs. 2.06 lakh-nano-silver-xe.jpg
Aditya is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 10th February 2015, 05:11   #2
BHPian

Re: Tata Nano Twist XE launched at Rs. 2.06 lakh

Despite all the efforts made by Tata, it still doesn't feel exciting. A big fan of Nano I am but it's high time that they introduced a substantially re-engineered vehicle that is safer (read disc brakes up front with ABS) and dual front airbags in atleast the top end variant. Oh and come on Tata, although the Nano is a rear engined rear wheel drive car, we're not talking about Porsche power and torque here. Can we all get a car with one size tyres all around?
aveoman19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2015, 05:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

Was following a Nano on the way back home yesterday, the engine did not sound like the earlier Nanos. The earlier ones used to sound like an Auto-rickshaw, this one, a Twist XT sounded more car-like, I'm guessing they played around with the silencer in their sound proof chamber!

From the picture, looks like the Nano has the same size tyres all around but we all know the standard line 'what is shown in the picture is for illustrative purposes only and may differ from the actual car'. So its still going to come with uneven size tyres at the back and front, petrol tank filler inside the bonnet and a rear hatch that does not open

The deal breaker for me was the 'no-heater' in the XE model, but it looks like Tata has launched this model to encourage customers to walk into their showrooms seeing the lesser price and then make some 'sacrifices' with their finances and settle for the XT
TheARUN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2015, 08:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

Very nice! A Nano with AC, power steering and all black interiors and no other complications. All it lacks is an AMT to become the perfect city car. Tata! please get us one.
deetjohn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2015, 10:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

I wonder if this will be lapped up by the Taxi companies. The Nano Taxis in Bengaluru seem to be a hit and they are all XT variants. This new XE should be a great fit for them as it comes with all the basic needs at a lesser price.

PS - Looks like TaMo have finally standardized their variant nomenclature, XE, XM, XT.

Last edited by safari_lover : 10th February 2015 at 11:04.
safari_lover is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2015, 11:24   #6
BHPian

Have the front tyres been changed or is it just a photo perspective? A very welcome move if the tyres are of the same width, gives the vehicle a good planted look!

Last edited by GTO : 10th February 2015 at 15:05. Reason: Typo
vinair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2015, 12:12   #7
BHPian

Speaking as a long time , 100 % satisfied Nano owner :

This is the Nano that I would buy now for giving what is needed and nothing more.

I am pretty sure that the front wheels are unchanged and the photo in the 1st post is Photoshopped. Let me add that the front wheels will most likely foul with the wheel arches if the tyre sizes are made the same as the rear.
john doe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2015, 12:39   #8
BHPian

Yesterday's TOI (Bombay Times) carried an advertisement of this variant with an on-road quote of 1.99 L.

While it appears attractive, the knowledge of an impending launch of the AMT which is long overdue may keep prospective buyers on hold.

In my view the AMT launch should be expedited rather than such variants.

An AMT with CNG option would probably be the best entry level car for metros.
Fx14 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2015, 15:08   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveoman19 View Post
although the Nano is a rear engined rear wheel drive car, we're not talking about Porsche power and torque here. Can we all get a car with one size tyres all around?
Because it's a rear engine RWD, on the limit or in an emergency manouveur, the car is more likely to oversteer (something the average driver isn't skilled enough to handle) than understeer (average driver only has to lift off to bring it in control).

The Nano has thinner front tyres so that they lose grip earlier than the rears do. This is absolutely required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
Have the front tyres been changed or is it just a photo perspective?
It's just the picture.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th February 2015, 15:23   #10
BHPian

A little delayed I guess, based on this post.

[rant]
In December last year I had made an attempt to buy a 2012 unsold Nano LX (they called it Non-Refresh, the one without integrated stereo and some other goodies) from one of Tata's showrooms near Mahadevapura, Bangalore and the manager there was firm on an ex-showroom price of 2.05 lakhs. I tried telling him that the vehicle under consideration is already two generation old and will become even more older when the XE comes out. He started laughing and advised me not to believe "stuff you read in the Internet". I ended the discussions right away, it was pointless. Well sir, if you ever read this, in the right places the stuff we read tends to be correct. Here is the XE at the price you demanded for a two year old unsold vehicle and as I told you, as of date, your Non-Refresh Nano LX is three generations old now.
[/rant]

I would say that the color options don't quite add to the excitement, silver and gold will look too tame, hoping more would be added. Envious about the black interiors, wish all Twists had options for black.

The frowning upon on the tire sizes is perplexing, it is a safety feature needed for the light-weight rear-engined RWD vehicle. In the practical world it affects only full-scale tire rotations in long term usage and a minor inconvenience if any of the front wheels go flat.
sun_king is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2015, 17:54   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx14 View Post
In my view the AMT launch should be expedited rather than such variants.
Completely Agree.
Also they should not repeat same mistake of introducing AMT only with top variant, They must introduce AMT twist XE trim with sub 2.5 L ex. showroom price tag.
Vishal.R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2015, 01:48   #12
BHPian

Nano has the right mix of almost everything which is needed within the expected setup but lacks confidence and a bit of branding to make it more premium. I have used a friends 2nd gen Nano for a few weeks and was fairly impressed especially with the space factor.

Slightly off the track: I am curious if the Nanos come with a spare tire? of so, is that the one meant for rear or front [as the sizes of both are not same]?

Thanks,
Dileep
Old 11th February 2015, 08:46   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dileepcm View Post
Slightly off the track: I am curious if the Nanos come with a spare tire? of so, is that the one meant for rear or front [as the sizes of both are not same]?
Yes it does. The spare is of the smaller size, same as the front (135/70 R12). In the event it needs to be used in the rear, it is advised to change it at the earliest and to keep the speeds below 60 kmph being extra cautious in turnings. The spare is kept in the front and effectively takes up all the hood space!

Saw in today's newspaper (Bangalore) that the Nano Twist is available from 1.90 lakhs onward as part of some offer.
sun_king is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2015, 11:53   #14
BHPian

I wonder when this company would realize that they are not going to get people into their showrooms by creating cheaper versions of the cheapest car in the world.
Where is the brand building exercise taking the Nano? Even today, when I look at the Indica Xeta/Safari advertisement videos, I feel like evaluating the vehicles. The Nano, on the other hand, needs a thorough rebranding with a focus on improving the customer perception. There are quite a few advantages of the vehicle- cheap, spacious, fuel efficient and the Twist has good build quality as well. These strengths should be highlighted. The 'awesome' ad campaign looks too garish these days.

How much does a body colour bumper cost? Making a cheap car look good is so important- most of the abused Nano's that I see on the road are the Standard and cx versions-people treat it like a disposable vehicle because it does not look 'premium'!
If any B-school does a case study of the product, it can come up with a list of comic errors that no company should do for marketing a product. Tata's have improved upon their previous records of sabotaging their own products by launching this one.
Nissan1180 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 13:38   #15
Senior - BHPian

Having dropped the proposed diesel, they should at least sell the CNG seriously by offering power steering and all colours. The biggest reason behind the car's failure was the car-like, rather than 2-wheeler-like, operating cost. CNG is what can bridge that gap.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks