Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2015, 22:35   #346
Lij
BHPian

Re: Scoop - Fiat Punto Evo T-Jet coming up!

Fiat just had to get the same international Abarth Punto design into Indian market. How much of an overhead cost would that have meant having slightly different styles for the regular Punto and Abarth? Yes and that 6 speed gear-box as well.

Instead by the time they reach Indian shores they get these cheesy ornaments added.

That exhaust look so out of place in the Punto, but extra cladding of Avventura masks it pretty well.
Lij is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2015, 09:37   #347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post

So following is what we know so far
1. Evo Abarth will come in minimum 2 colors - White and Black
2. It will be powered by 135 bhp T-JET engine
3. It will have Scorpion' alloy wheels - 16" or 17"
4. Disc brake for all wheels
5. Fiat badges will be replaced with Abarth logos
6. It will come with 5 speed manual gearbox
7. There will be aluminium pedals
Everything about the Punto T-jet mentioned by damager21 sounds !!

I am not really in the market for this hot hatch but if I may suggest few things to Fiat, they have to be:

- Please provide a better steering column. In other words, reach and rake, which will fix all possible issues with respect to ergonomics.

- Please get rid of those medieval door handles and update your cars with the grab handles.

- Please get rid of unnecessary overdose of chrome on the car. IMO only the true enthusiasts will prefer Punto T-jet and probably most of them don't like the bling factor a lot.
Old 20th June 2015, 00:21   #348
BHPian

More pics of the upcoming Abarth Punto Evo. I think the car looks good from outside with that sporty rear spoiler, red decals and scorpion claw alloys. Powered by 135 bhp T-JET engine and I think it is yumm...

Scoop - Fiat Punto Evo T-Jet coming up!-5.jpg
Scoop - Fiat Punto Evo T-Jet coming up!-1.jpg
Scoop - Fiat Punto Evo T-Jet coming up!-2.jpg
Scoop - Fiat Punto Evo T-Jet coming up!-4.jpg

Finally we have confirmation. The tyres are 16" - Apollo 195/55/R16
Scoop - Fiat Punto Evo T-Jet coming up!-3.jpg

Source: Motorbeam

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd June 2015 at 15:53. Reason: Adding source
damager21 is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 07:26   #349
Senior - BHPian

I'm crossing all my fingers (hands and legs too) hoping this gets launched soon. Our current Punto is running strong (6 th year) but the itch to upgrade is there. If priced under 10 lakhs (as rumoured) this will be the perfect candidate. Pictures look good and the alloys are mouth watering!
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 11:38   #350
Senior - BHPian

What is the reason of hiding FIAT when Punto badge is visible to everyone.

Anyways - it seems that FIAT is left with no steam to pull buyers, too less and too late, even this statement looks out of place for them. The company has hardly taken note of customer expectations and their own commitment to India.

The India CEO made statement of aggressive marketing and new dealerships, no progress so far.

Perpetual issues like
- Poor gear ratios / rubbery gearshift
- ECU tuning for better performance (look at what MSIL has done to the same engine)
- Poor equipment offering compared to competition (i20 / Jazz etc.), storage space / door storage, poor legroom for rear passenger - nothing has been addressed completely even in the latest facelift

It seems that the company is just enjoying the royalty from the sale of national engine.

Cheers
Old 23rd June 2015, 12:19   #351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
Cheers
That's because the Punto T-Jet is speculated to come with Abarth logo and not Fiat Logo. There wouldn't be any Fiat logo anywhere on the car.
Old 23rd June 2015, 12:22   #352
BHPian

Quote:
Its the abarth logo that is being hidden and not FIAT

Quote:
Anyways - it seems that FIAT is left with no steam to pull buyers, too less and too late, even this statement looks out of place for them. The company has hardly taken note of customer expectations and their own commitment to India.
Well quite honestly their approach hasn't been able to attract buyers even though the evo is a very competent product. This is definitely a step in a different direction. The abarth range will definitely be halo products with an intent to create desirability in the masses as well as showcase the traditional fiat strengths. I for one am willing to wait and see if the "abarth" punto will indeed be a 135 hp beast and if that is indeed true I will put my money on FIAT again.

Quote:
Perpetual issues like
- Poor gear ratios / rubbery gearshift - Only true for the MJD, the gearshift on the Linea Tjet is fairly precise.
- ECU tuning for better performance (look at what MSIL has done to the same engine)- The swift is also substantially lighter that too has its effects
- Poor equipment offering compared to competition (i20 / Jazz etc.), storage space / door storage, poor legroom for rear passenger - nothing has been addressed completely even in the latest facelift - Equipment levels aren't poor really , legroom and storage space I too would agree with you

It seems that the company is just enjoying the royalty from the sale of national engine.

Cheers
Well they are now willing to do something that isn't usually the norm in the market i.e treat the enthusiast, lets just hope we the enthusiasts let them do that.
noo.b is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 13:22   #353
Senior - BHPian

We keep hearing so much about the rubbery gearshift and mile long clutch travel in the Punto. Is it so difficult for this to be taken care of? Every single review speaks of it.

Is it so expensive to design a slick shifting gear box and a short travel clutch?
vibbs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 13:26   #354
BHPian

Scoop - Fiat Punto Evo T-Jet coming up!

The only thing I can say is you will be pleasantly surprised. This car will be 140 bhp 210 Nm torque. The gear ratios ( 2-3) are shortened. 0-100 in less than 9 seconds. The clutch travel is not as long as Punto regular and the gearbox slots much better ( short throw)
The car rides lower than the standard car.

Last edited by torquecurve : 23rd June 2015 at 13:33.
torquecurve is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 14:30   #355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
The only thing I can say is you will be pleasantly surprised. This car will be 140 bhp 210 Nm torque. The gear ratios ( 2-3) are shortened. 0-100 in less than 9 seconds. The clutch travel is not as long as Punto regular and the gearbox slots much better ( short throw)
The car rides lower than the standard car.
The only thing I can say is please take my money and get me the car soon !! I am no longer able to remain sane whenever I see/hear about Punto Abarth. Thanks for this. It will make the wait a bit more bearable.
Old 23rd June 2015, 14:33   #356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
This car will be 140 bhp 210 Nm torque.
Impressive on the bhp front. Was expecting torque output to rise as well.

Quote:
Poor equipment offering compared to competition, storage space / door storage, poor legroom for rear passenger - nothing has been addressed completely even in the latest facelift
I don't think the car is short on equipment. In fact, it was Fiat that offered a fully equipped car at one point. Save for a reverse camera and electric/auto fold mirrors, you aren't really missing much. Fiat were also the first to offer leather as standard on the top trim Linea and not call it an 'Option'.

The first in the segment to offer voice assisted telephony and music player, Blue N Me. It works too. The bluetooth system was the first to offer the ability to pair five different phones and save the data for each.

The first to offer 'My Car' settings running off a digital menu driven set up. Access to some basic car controls such as switching off passenger air bag, enabling auto door lock, user definable speed warnings, instrument cluster dimming, service reminders, auto play for the car audio, Eco Drive which stores data on how you are driving.

By the way, Blue N Me and Eco Drive are also user upgradeable via the USB slot. No car in the segment allows you to do this even today.

Possibly the best looking stock alloys straight out of the factory, it its segment.

On the subject of passenger room, I will agree, it is poor. The situation isn't any better if you sit in a Swift or a Polo. In fact, I'd pick the rear bench on a Punto/Evo any day over VW's hatch.

I will agree that space to dump your stuff, the odd seating for the driver, long travel clutch and gearing are genuine concern areas that Fiat should have addressed. Fiat probably does not care knowing that addressing these issues isn't going to change their fortunes in India. This will require some sort of a miracle.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 23rd June 2015 at 14:34.
sandeepmohan is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 16:59   #357
BHPian

Those alloys are just mouth-watering hot! How i wish Fiat does away with all that excess chrome, atleast for the Abarth version. She just looks stunning in black!
My Punto turns 6 in a couple of months and this Abarth is just pulling at my heart strings now! Decisions decisions! My wife will probably kill me if i replace my Punto with another one (albeit an Abarth), but maybe the Abarth is worth it!
abhii176 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 19:42   #358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Impressive on the bhp front. Was expecting torque output to rise as well.

I don't think the car is short on equipment. In fact, it was Fiat that offered a fully equipped car at one point. Save for a reverse camera and electric/auto fold mirrors, you aren't really missing much. Fiat were also the first to offer leather as standard on the top trim Linea and not call it an 'Option'.

The first in the segment to offer voice assisted telephony and music player, Blue N Me. It works too. The bluetooth system was the first to offer the ability to pair five different phones and save the data for each.

The first to offer 'My Car' settings running off a digital menu driven set up. Access to some basic car controls such as switching off passenger air bag, enabling auto door lock, user definable speed warnings, instrument cluster dimming, service reminders, auto play for the car audio, Eco Drive which stores data on how you are driving.

By the way, Blue N Me and Eco Drive are also user upgradeable via the USB slot. No car in the segment allows you to do this even today.

To add to the same, follow me headlamps, 195 stock tyres on a hatch, MID, foldable keys ! I personally felt follow me headlamps are useful when you are alone trying to open your house's door and its pitch dark.

134 bhp figures and all 4 discs is a commendable effort by the manufacturer. Even if a perfect car is rolled out of a FIAT factory, there will be criticism associated with the name FIAT.
Rubbertramps is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 19:55   #359
BHPian

If FIAT really offer 135 or 141 bhp, will it be from the same 1.4 TJet engine of Linea? Or will this be a separate imported motor?

The car looks highly desirable but I hope the sticker job is an option - looks a bit tacky. It is amazing how changing small bits and adding new set of wheels makes this car look fresh and I am thinking of upcoming Creta and SCross which look like a generation old just after looking at so many scoop pics.

I am sure this ride and handling will be absolutely amazing but hope FIAT just for once does not screw up the sync tuning of gearbox and engine. This is the perfect swan song for this generation of Punto.

The question about price - which side of 10 lacs?
Old 23rd June 2015, 20:34   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekz View Post
If FIAT really offer 135 or 141 bhp, will it be from the same 1.4 TJet engine of Linea? Or will this be a separate imported motor?

I am sure this ride and handling will be absolutely amazing but hope FIAT just for once does not screw up the sync tuning of gearbox and engine. This is the perfect swan song for this generation of Punto.

The question about price - which side of 10 lacs?

The offer is real - engine specs sorry but zip locked at this time. Ride and handling are perfect. There are some ratio changes. The right side of 10 lakhs
torquecurve is offline   (15) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks