Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2015, 17:55   #211
BHPian

Re: Early Confirmation: The Punto T-Jet is coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post

Apparently the product is undergoing certification and can be launched only later this year.
Thanks for this iceman7! I currently drive a GT TSI, which the missus has set her eyes on, so I'll now buy the 1.4 Punto TJET whenever it's launched! It'll be my first Fiat! And it'll be fun comparing both the cars!
Old 14th February 2015, 19:25   #212
BHPian

Could it be a downsized 1.2L engine? Wouldn't it make better sense in a hatchback? Plonking the existing Tjet engine in the punto isn't rocket engineering as it has the same engine bay as the linea. The fact that they are taking almost a year to launch makes me think that they are downsizing the engine.
Old 14th February 2015, 21:33   #213
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Could it be a downsized 1.2L engine? Wouldn't it make better sense in a hatchback? Plonking the existing Tjet engine in the punto isn't rocket engineering as it has the same engine bay as the linea. The fact that they are taking almost a year to launch makes me think that they are downsizing the engine.
If they were to downsize it, this rumour would have become confirmed news only in 2018. Take the case of 1.5 MJD for example. IMHO it can only be the 1.4 TJet and nothing else.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2015, 22:04   #214
BHPian

Re: Scoop - Fiat Punto Evo T-Jet coming up!

Quote:
Breaking News!!!
Fellow BHP'ians, I report from Europe. Here is some Good News and Bad News.
Minutes ago, during my layover at an airport, I met an engineer from Fiat India. Needless to say, we got talking.
I mentioned to him that there are RUMORS that the Punto T-Jet will be launched. He replied "Its not a rumour. The Punto T-Jet will be launched" . I asked "when?". And now for the bad news.
Apparently the product is undergoing certification and can be launched only later this year.
Hey Iceman, I don't think anyone here is expecting the product to launch in a few weeks. If they are launching it this year, that itself is good news to many who are considering the product. But if it is undergoing certification (homologation??) now, I guess it should get launched in around 6 months or so. So the "later this year" information hold good in all senses.
Old 15th February 2015, 02:38   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Wonderful news Iceman7!! Puts prospective buyers looking for a car in the next 2-3 months [like me] in a dilemma now on whether to wait until FIAT launches this or at least confirms the news officially.

Right now waiting for couple of new releases this year to check them out before taking the plunge & this news is just going to delay the plunge Hopefully FIAT doesn't move too slow on this & launches sooner in the second half of the year.

Btw, did you have a chance to check if they were going to tweak the gear throw/ratio & the long clutch play
Old 15th February 2015, 10:20   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manas_270 View Post
Btw, did you have a chance to check if they were going to tweak the gear throw/ratio & the long clutch play
Shift might not be as precise as VW but ratio is not a problem with TJet. MJD has that messed up 1st gear.
Old 15th February 2015, 11:48   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manas_270 View Post
Wonderful news Iceman7!! Btw, did you have a chance to check if they were going to tweak the gear throw/ratio & the long clutch play
I agree with Neoonwheels. The T-Jet gear box is much more sorted than it is on the MJD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Could it be a downsized 1.2L engine?
I doubt it. It will come with the 1.4. Also, does Fiat have a 1.2 T-Jet on their product portfolio? If we are looking at new development, then that is a 5 year horizon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Thanks for this iceman7! I currently drive a GT TSI, which the missus has set her eyes on, so I'll now buy the 1.4 Punto TJET whenever it's launched! It'll be my first Fiat! And it'll be fun comparing both the cars!
For me, it's the same plan. But I am in no hurry, so will wait.
Old 11th April 2015, 14:15   #218
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Fiat Punto T-Jet Spied

Reportedly a Fiat Punto with a 135 bhp T-Jet motor, all wheel discs and 16" alloys has been spotted.

Quote:
The Punto T-Jet will come with a 135bhp 1.4-litre turbocharged petrol motor mated to a 5-speed manual gearbox. The Punto Evo's engine uses a different turbo-charger than the Linea T-Jet and hence will get 135bhp instead of Linea's 113bhp. This same engine is expected to be seen under the hood of the Avventura as well. Also, on offer exclusively on the T-Jet versions will be four wheel disc brakes and 16-inch alloys.

While the Punto Evo and the Avventura are dynamically well sorted, they weigh as much as a typical mid-size sedan, which takes a slight toll on their performance. The added muscle of the T-jet motor should do well to exploit the cars’ handling capabilities. With the T-jet engines under their hoods, the Punto Evo and Avventura will be the most powerful cars in their respective segments.

The Punto Evo T-Jet will directly compete with the Volkswagen Polo GT TSI, though both cars offer very different mechanical packages. While the Polo is powered by a modern 1.2-litre, direct-injection turbo motor mated to a seven-speed dual-clutch automatic ‘box, the Punto will derive power from an old-school turbocharged engine and a manual ‘box, which is likely to appeal to enthusiasts.

When launched, the Punto Evo will be the most powerful hatchback under the Rs 10 lakh mark.

Source: ACI Punto T-Jet
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop - Fiat Punto Evo T-Jet coming up!-21765_879949368730852_8943453390008982775_n.jpg  

//M is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 11th April 2015, 14:23   #219
Team-BHP Support

16 inch alloys are a given, and it looks the same as the ones on the 90hp diesel. All wheel discs are a pleasant surprise.

I'm a bit skeptical of that 135bhp claim though. I feel it will come in the same state of tune as the Linea TJet.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2015, 14:36   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Fiat Punto T-Jet Spied

Reportedly a Fiat Punto with a 135 bhp T-Jet motor, all wheel discs and 16" alloys has been spotted.

Source: ACI Punto T-Jet
Now 135 BHP Turbocharged engine in a Hatch wud be pure madness on Indian Roads....

Finally the true successor to the Fiat Palio 1.6 S10 has truly arrived in some style....

As they say...Better Late than Never
Old 11th April 2015, 14:40   #221
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Punto Evo's engine uses a different turbo-charger than the Linea T-Jet and hence will get 135bhp instead of Linea's 113bhp.
Firstly, thanks for sharing this, I was checking this thread out a few days ago and was surprised to see it dormant for a few months, after the initial excitement.

Instead of a different turbo, do you think they've stuck an intercooler in there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I'm a bit skeptical of that 135bhp claim though. I feel it will come in the same state of tune as the Linea TJet.
However, looking at the list of engines on Wikipedia (see below image) it seems the only 1.4 petrol engine that makes ~135 bhp is the MultiAir setup, and I seriously doubt Fiat would be introducing this advanced engine on an existing model instead of a new line-up.
Scoop - Fiat Punto Evo T-Jet coming up!-punto-petrol-engines.gif
So I'm inclined to agree with CrAzY dRiVeR that it'll land in the same tune as the Linea T-Jet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Tell me something, a Toyota Corolla with 1.6L naturally aspirated petrol engine makes 139 bhp. And a 'turbo-charged' 1.4 makes just 135 ? What gives.
The absence of an intercooler results in warmer charge air being fed to the engine after the turbo compresses it, resulting in a lower power gain than a turbo engine that has an intercooler. Also, OT, but haven't Corolla's usually had 1.8L engines?

Last edited by arunphilip : 11th April 2015 at 15:00.
Old 11th April 2015, 14:40   #222
Senior - BHPian

Tell me something, a Toyota Corolla with 1.6L naturally aspirated petrol engine makes 139 bhp. And a 'turbo-charged' 1.4 makes just 135 ? What gives.

Even 135 is too less.
Old 11th April 2015, 14:47   #223
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
It is such a shame that ACI did not bother to mention the source of their info and pics.

The credit for this scoop goes to a member of the Facebook group - TEAM FIAT MOTO CLUB , and the car was spotted in Chennai.
ACI has mentioned the source, Sir.

Thsi is what they have mentioned in the starting of the article:
Quote:
Earlier this year, we reported that Fiat is readying T-Jet versions for the Punto Evo and the Avventura. Now we’ve got more information on the Punto T-Jet along with some photos posted on the Fiat Club page.
//M is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th April 2015, 14:53   #224
BHPian

Quote:
ACI has mentioned the source, Sir.

Thsi is what they have mentioned in the starting of the article:
I can't believe I missed that Another facepalm moment.

Anyway, 135HP is really something, after such a long wait for the Punto T-Jet. Imagine this remapped.

Last edited by Arkin evoisrevo : 11th April 2015 at 14:54.
Old 11th April 2015, 14:58   #225
Senior - BHPian

Around Diwali? Fiat, please make it happen early.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks