Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2015, 20:25   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Nissan Teana discontinued in India

Motorbeam reports that Nissan India has silently discontinued the Teana due to extremely poor market response.

This is the 3rd Nissan car brought in via the CKD/CBU route which has been discontinued, after the 370Z and the X-Trail.

Nissan Teana discontinued in India-dsc01306.jpg

Nissan Teana discontinued in India-dsc01346.jpg

Quote:
Nissan India has discontinued the Teana due to poor sales and strong competition in the D-segment. This is the third discontinuation after the 370Z and X-Trail were axed last year.

While the X-Trail has been discontinued long time back, the Teana has been sneaked away recently and it’s evident from their official website.

In 2014, Nissan dispatched only 15 units of the Teana compared to 1336 units sold of the Skoda Superb.
SOURCE - Motorbeam

Related Thread (and pic source) - First Drive Report of the Teana
RavenAvi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th January 2015, 20:51   #2
BHPian

Re: Nissan Teana discontinued in India

In a segment as competitive as the entry level luxury segment, manufacturers have to put their heart and soul into the car they make to ensure that it stands out in the crowd. Nissan just did not car enough about the Teana so I really am not surprised that it has been discontinued.
RIP Nissan Teana, you were a car with a definite set of good qualities, but no X-factor. Not sure many will miss you!
Turbo_asd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2015, 21:11   #3
BHPian

Honestly, they should have done it a long time back.
I sat in a Teana, some time back, and that back seat and ride quality was very fine. However the lacklustre performance, and high price killed this product. Additionally, Nissan never revealed a Diesel engine, that would have attracted customers.

Nissan should replace it with the Altima hybrid, to compete with the Camry. Altima is a best seller in the US, and could work for Nissan in India.
prakhar1998 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2015, 08:31   #4
BANNED

Truly sad news. I have always had a soft spot for the Teana since the day I sat in one. While it might've had a lazy V6 and uninspiring handling, the car definitely came with the X-Factor; the interiors were just something else from the whole opulent look to the feel. Nothing came close unless you were looking at an A6, E-Class or importing a Citroen C6. If I were chauffeur driven then I would choose this car over the Superb, Accord and Camry, anyday. Heck even if I were looking to own another car in the same segment, it would be this one. I for one, will be sad to see it go.

Would be interesting to know what kind of discounts Nissan is giving on their stock though.
Old 14th January 2015, 11:33   #5
BHPian

@Ishaanian This car was made to order I guess. Nissan will not be maintaining any stock I suppose.
Old 14th January 2015, 11:56   #6
BHPian

Got a chance to travel in a chauffered Teana last month on my Kuala Lumpur trip and i was really surprised.Though it was the next generation of what we get in India, but i was left wondering as to what else a D segment chauffered buyer wants. Super silent Petrol and amazing ride quality.
One more BIG non european car out!!!

Last edited by InControl : 14th January 2015 at 12:02.
Old 14th January 2015, 12:03   #7
Team-BHP Support

When Nissan lowered the prices if only they had marketed it properly, it might have been a different story. Of course if they had added the X-Trails diesel engine to this, it would have been flying off the shelves with that brilliant back seat and great ride and Japanese reliability.
Old 14th January 2015, 12:59   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Teana has been discontinued, but the reasons given in the article are wrong.

What we saw on sale here was the 2nd-generation Teana. It has been phased out internationally to make way for the 3rd-gen. Simply put, since the Teana was a CKD, Nissan India couldn't get them anymore even if they wanted to! No kits available to build it!

Sales have been poor, as is the case with all Nissans. Their entire portfolio has flops, with the Terrano being the only possible exception. Nothing new there.

But the reason we don't see the 2nd-gen Teana on Nissan's website is that the car has been discontinued globally.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th January 2015, 21:30   #9
BHPian

Well, it's pricing and marketing was woefully inadequate. Plus, Nissan itself not a well entrenched brand in India. And their customer service is horrendous. Folks who are paying that much need a more upscale brand image.

The Teanna is the Nissan Maxima in the US. Even in the US , the Maxima is a huge sales flop. Higher priced Maximas in the US compete with Infiniti's price wise. And so, people would buy an Infiniti instead.

And , in India it was doomed to fail anyway , I guess. It's a good car - but nothing remarkable and in this very competitive market - that's not good enough .
Old 14th January 2015, 22:37   #10
BHPian

So sad to hear this news. The Nissan Teana has the best front passenger seats available in the D segment. The "Ottoman" seats was heaven. Loved the ride as well as the comfort and space. The engine was just one lazy V6 which really did not excite. To make matters worse there was no diesel too.

When will Nissan learn from their mistake. Almost all flops in their line up but the fact is that all the products are very capable. The Nissan Micra is one typical example.
Old 14th January 2015, 22:59   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hurricane View Post
So sad to hear this news. The Nissan Teana has the best front passenger seats available in the D segment. The "Ottoman" seats was heaven. Loved the ride as well as the comfort and space. The engine was just one lazy V6 which really did not excite. To make matters worse there was no diesel too.

When will Nissan learn from their mistake. Almost all flops in their line up but the fact is that all the products are very capable. The Nissan Micra is one typical example.
V6 and lazy? People kill for V6/V8 engines and you call it lazy? I think it was that dumb CVT tarnsmission and not V6 engine which let the car down.
Old 15th January 2015, 00:04   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
V6 and lazy? People kill for V6/V8 engines and you call it lazy? I think it was that dumb CVT tarnsmission and not V6 engine which let the car down.
Though this might be technically correct, from the end user perspective, the car is lazy irrespective of the fact if that's the engine / transmission or the tires!
Old 15th January 2015, 08:36   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Yup the CVT transmission is mainly to blame. But I must say that the engine was not exactly rev happy like the Honda V6 which was a hoot to drive. If the engine had a DSG transmission it would have been really nice.
Old 15th January 2015, 09:06   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hurricane View Post
Yup the CVT transmission is mainly to blame. But I must say that the engine was not exactly rev happy like the Honda V6 which was a hoot to drive. If the engine had a DSG transmission it would have been really nice.
A lazy car is better than a unreliable car with a V6+DSG combo.

Nissan should have projected the car well with proper marketing plus pricing for the vehicle to get noticed in the customers mind.
Old 15th January 2015, 13:33   #15
BHPian

Wow, I did not even know the car was still available. Such is the marketing!!

Assumed that the price reduction some time back was a clearance sale of sorts.

Have always loved the Teana, but it stands no where against the likes of Superb and Camry.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks