Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2004, 01:36   #1
BHPian

Petrol Pump scams

Guyz...to day my dad stopped at the goregaon highway petrol pump to fuel the car .. my driver went out asked the guy to fill petrol worth 1000Rs .. when the meter went upto 700 then he diverted my drivers attention by talkin to him ... but my dad was watching the meter it cut off at 792 and suddenly the meter zapped to 1000Rs..
.. so my dad gotout and explained it to him.. but the guy wouldnt agree.. so my dad asked him to fuel more fuel worth 1000rs and then he went to adjust the meter so dad asked him not to figit with the box and then the guy accepted that the meter had jumped.. guyz take care and keep watching this meter all the time these guyz often say dat they have started from zero but they mess up at then ends ...be careful guyz ..
cheatingdeath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2004, 02:05   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

this happened to me once
but only some other guy reset the meter by mistake while i was filling and since we did not know how much was already filled we told him 20 lts but i uspect it was more so in the end it worked in my favour
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2004, 02:06   #3
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the headsup CD. I always look at the meter while filling up...neverthless more cautious now.
Old 17th November 2004, 02:22   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

at this point, i must comment hindustan petroleum for their service
they ask me to check the meter before filling and their overall service is very good and they are very courteous too
Old 17th November 2004, 04:14   #5
BANNED

my petrol gut shows wht he is filling. but i have heard this one before
Old 17th November 2004, 04:14   #6
BHPian

Generally I'm a cheapskate so I hardly ever fill more than 200-300 bucks worth of petrol, but I think I should still step out and watch the meter closely now. Especially at those pumps that are known to have done some jhol jhal in the past. Like the one right next to my place at Mahim. I never fill my car fuel from him. Only my scooter sometimes 100-200.

Thanks for the tip..

- Aalaap
aalaap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2004, 13:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hey thanks for the tip CD.
That reminds me... some time back, my regular mechanic warned me not to fill petrol from the pumps on Bannerghatta Road. He said since these are in low lying areas, during rains somehow the petrol gets mixed with water!! He said last week only they had treated 4 cars with the same problem. Though i am not fully convinced, i still dont take any risks and prefer to fill my car at the company owned outlets only.
Does the mechanic's argument hold any water? literally??
Old 17th November 2004, 13:22   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]some time back, my regular mechanic warned me not to fill petrol from the pumps on Bannerghatta Road
Is it someone at Prithvi Motors? One guy mentioned the same thing to me. My 800 had started stalling without any explanation and water in fuel was the diagnosis... They cleaned the tank and the problem went away.
Old 17th November 2004, 13:34   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (mohit @ Nov. 17 2004,10:52)]Is it someone at Prithvi Motors?
Bingo!!! Yes its the same guy. So is he right about the petrol from these pumps being adulterated ?
I had replaced the filter box with steel plates and i needed to increase the idling a bit. At first he suspected it was adulterated fuel but i strongly insisted that i always fill it from the company owned outlets.
By the way, how sure can one be about the quality of fuel from a company owned outlet over a private outlet?

Amitoj
Old 17th November 2004, 13:40   #10
BHPian

ne times guyz
Old 17th November 2004, 14:39   #11

i agree with lambhorgini. HP outlets are too good and they give quality service. HP also has a tie up with ICICI Bank for its debit and credit cards users who can fill the petrol thru their cards without any surcharge.
Old 17th November 2004, 15:16   #12
Team-BHP Support

You really have to be very careful while getting your car filled with fuel. I don't just get out of my car and watch the meter while my car if being filled, but, even take the fuel cap off and put it back on myself. I'm also very particular about watching the guy fill air in each and every tyre.
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2004, 18:59   #13
BHPian

Hey I got a story...though might not be really relevant..but its a case of DUMD petrol pump guy.

I was in a hurry, & went way out from my route to tank up from the place I always do (well always used to ..present tense!). I had apprx 3-4 ltrs in tank, & asked this pump attendant to fill 20ltrs. And in the mean time when he was filling, I was getting my petro card charged (I was not looking as I was used to this pump & knew they were good). Suddenly when I came around to get in my car to drive away, 3-4 attendants rushed towards me shouting ... I was wondering what happened.
Then the senior attendant broke it to me...the other guy who was filling my tank, just pumped in 20ltrs of DIESEL in my 800 ... imagine my state.
Thank my stars I didn't switch the ignition on. These guys then cleaned my entire tank & refilled with 25ltrs!!
And not to mention that I have stopped using this pump.
Old 17th November 2004, 19:45   #14
BHPian

Anyone tried Reliance petrol pumps yet ......
There are some reliance outlets opened Around Hyderabad ....
Heard that they are State Of Art pumps and that their prices of diesel and petrol are about 50 to 75 paise cheaper than other Outlets ......

Here in Hyderabad i fill at HP / BP / IOC Company outlets only ...
Old 17th November 2004, 20:13   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

hey arijit once near my old house which still has an outdated hp petrol pump, i went to fill diesel in my siena and when i went to get ice-cream and my driver a new petrol book, the guy filled petrol insted
spent an hour there gettin it cleaned up.
incidentl it is the same place where the petrol meter was reset unlike the pump near my nw house
when i go back im certainly not using that pump again
cheers
lambo

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks