Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2022, 16:10   #76
BHPian

Re: Petrol Pump scams

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
May be not related to issue on hand but has anyone filled up at Nayara? They have opened an outlet smack middle of residential area here and I am tempted to tank up my Thar tomorrow. I have not seen this brand before and usually fill up at out of town Shell.
Yes, I have filled up 2-3 times at Nayara. Essar is now Nayara - the change happened in 2018 but the actual rebranding seems to be happening now. In my case, the outlets were rebranded ones but everything including boards and fuel dispensers was replaced with new ones with Nayara branding.
gischethans is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 16:27   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
.. has anyone filled up at Nayara? They have opened an outlet smack middle of residential area here and I am tempted to tank up my Thar tomorrow. I have not seen this brand before and usually fill up at out of town Shell.
It's just Essar, and it should feel about the same as Shell diesel. Go ahead.
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 17:16   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo82in View Post
Not sure it’s a scam so asking the community. This has happened with me a couple of times mostly at reliance petrol pumps the machine stops mid way and attendant mentions it’s due to power failure. The display of fuel dispensed and amount is still on. After a minute or two the power resumes ( generator backup I believe) the attendant resets the machine to zero and fills up again. I pay up the total of initial ( before power failure) and final amount. Not sure if it’s some scam but worried since this has happened a couple of times.
It has happened with me only once when I was in Gwalior. I didn't know it was a scam till now. Fortunately this hasn't happened in Delhi ever
Old 16th February 2022, 18:12   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
I just came across this on Twitter. Apparently a pump refueled 63 litres in what the owner says is a 50 litre Fuel Tank (Duster)

TWITTER LINK

Errant Fuel Station-
Shri Krishna Petroleum Udupi (Indian Oil)
Another Duster owner and BHPian has already responded.

I also see some speculation about practices at IOC bunks compared to HP, Reliance etc.. My experiences have been the opposite.

I have been filling XtraPremium and later XP95 from this IOC bunk for a while now and have found their services to rather transparent. Tank to tank measurements have shown me that fuel quantity is not compromised.

Rather, the HP pump along NH169 (opp. MIT campus) is definitely up to something. They seem to be under-filling fuel.
ibisbrew is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 19:32   #80
BHPian

This whole discussion is making me think if the below is a scam too. I tanked up on 10th Feb with Power petrol lured by gifts displayed at the pump. This is a coco pump right opposite HP refinery at Vizag airport.

Petrol Pump scams-img_5182.jpg
Old 16th February 2022, 20:49   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
Not sure of the situation now, but it used to be fairly common in Mahe (Puducherry UT) years ago. A family friend had once created a ruckus when they filled in 50+ liters in his M800! ]
I can attest to that. Most pumps in Mahe were in cahoots with bus drivers/cleaners/conductors. We owned and ran an automobile service station in Thalassery till recently. The bus crew used to head to Mahe straight after service and get a full tank from there. Apparently they "saved" close to Rs.600 per full tank as the fuel was cheaper (both in cost as well as quality) and they would also supply a bill on which the amount stated is usually higher than what was actually spent. The crew then used the savings to hit the bars that are aplenty in Mahe.
Reaper666 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 00:00   #82
BHPian

I've been through this a couple of years ago , late in the night at around 11 when I had to tank up my bike for the breakfast ride next day. At that hour , most pumps were closed and shell pump on hosur road under the elevated road was the only one open. They swiftly said normal fuel over and only premium one is available. Had no choice but to tank up and move on.
Old 17th February 2022, 00:15   #83
BHPian

I have also had experiences with Indian oil few times about the quantity of fuel against the money charged. This happened at an outlet near Nal Stop area next to Kasat Saree Shopee, Karve Rod, Pune. There was a lady operating a filling station and I asked her to put petrol of Rs 200/- ( price was around Rs 55/- or 60/- per liter that time). I had to ride to Bhosri- an industrial area in Pune and come back ( a total round of around 35-40km including my visits to different vendors there.) Generally this much fuel was more than enough for my Honda unicorn which used to average about 46-48kmpl. The lady filled up and I started my ride only to get reserve within next few km. I added fuel at another outlet on the way and proceeded further since I was time bound with vendor appointments. Re visited that particular petrol pump fuming and found another 3 men fighting with the lady with same reason. I showed up the receipt and had an argument with the same particular lady and her colleagues trying to save her. We called out the manager and he straight away accepted she has done the blunder. He offered same amount of fuel and issue resolved then and there.

It was a well covered fraud straight away. I told the manager; this was the last time on his filling station. Never ever gone there. He smiled and left just like that.
Guru_Shikhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 00:44   #84
BHPian

I have faced issues with both IOC and HP petrol bunks. I generally get out of my car, ask them to wait while I take a snapshot of the pump and the odo/fuel reading and only then allow them to start. In both the above-mentioned pumps, the fuel attendants tried to either start filling without me telling them how much to fill, or scolded me for wasting their time ( even when there's nobody behind at that particular pump).
I started going to BP then, where they wait for me to check the pump reading and start only after I explicitly say yes. IOC on Sarjapur Road and HP in Varthur have been regular miscreants.
Another pet peeve is when they refuse to give me a bill. They either say machine is put of print paper or they quickly reset and say we cannot check it anymore.
I generally refill whenever the tank is at 25%. This is mainly so that I can afford to immediately leave that petrol bunk if I don't like what's happening. This has helped me to leave whenever they say only premium petrol is available.
Small Bot is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 01:04   #85

Nayara is the new name for Essar Petrol pumps. Here is the link for nayara - https://www.nayaraenergy.com/retail-footprint
Old 17th February 2022, 10:53   #86

Just to view the other side of the coin, COCO or no, the pumps have massive targets to achieve on monthly and quarterly basis with respect to the products they sell at the pumps. And in the majority of them the distributor just sends the product to the pump and bills you regardless of whether the pump would want it or not. So the pumps also do not have any option but to sell it down innocent customers.

For instance, one of the compartments of the fuel tanker will have premium fuel. Even if the pump does not have customers for it, they will bill them for the fuel. If the pump already has the stock, the truck will wait untill it gets to offload the fuel and guess who pays for the added time for the truck stoppage?

Pumps are also given targets to sell oil and lubricants.

Ofcourse this is no reason for such type of service that the thread is mentioning.

My regular COCO pump also does the same, hence before he speaks his BS, I just tell him I need to full the tank. I doubt they will let go ~5k worth of diesel.

If anyone from the fuel industry can shed more light, will be helpful.

Last edited by Eddy : 17th February 2022 at 11:21. Reason: Only 2 smilies allowed per post.
rsjagtap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 12:50   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Reviving an old thread rather than starting a new one.

.... when I ask them to fill regular petrol they will say, sir the truck is filling petrol so we can only give you premium petrol. ........

Has anyone seen this modus operandi before?
I have seen this multiple times at IOCL COCO near Ashoka Hotel, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi.
They frequently say that only Premium diesel is available. I then move to the adjacent HP COCO, which thankfully has never played such tricks.
Old 17th February 2022, 22:58   #88
BHPian

At our (BPCL) pump it has recently become impossible to dispense petrol when the tank is being filled. The automation doesn’t allow it. It takes about an hour to decant one tank lorry. From a business perspective it is frustrating because we lose customers who don’t want to pay the extra two and a half rupees for speed. And occasionally suspicious customers may throw a fit as well.

If we had another petrol tank this would have been a non issue.

As for pumps having targets or earning more from premium fuel, the extra commission is a few paise a litre. A tankful might earn us an extra five or ten bucks. And we don’t have any targets for speed. A lot of pumps don’t even bother with it, but we keep it for customers who want it.

This is how it works for us. Peace.
Vikram9193 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 11:22   #89
BANNED

I have also been through this many times. In Haryana, premium diesel is not as readily available. Or perhaps the station doesn't feel the need to push for premium diesel as they get enough business from truckers who skip Delhi (traffic) and Rajasthan (high fuel price) to fill up in Haryana.

But if they give excuses, I leave and fill up at another station. If they're trying to make an extra buck from me, then I'll take my business elsewhere. Often, it works and to save face, they ask me to go to a different pump at the same station.

The more we succumb to such tactics, the longer they'll keep trying it. If we say that we should help the pump achieve their target this one time for a nominal expense out of my pocket, guess what, the next month, the target will become higher.

Last edited by MaheshY1 : 18th February 2022 at 11:25.
MaheshY1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2022, 13:56   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjiramu View Post
This whole discussion is making me think if the below is a scam too. I tanked up on 10th Feb with Power petrol lured by gifts displayed at the pump. This is a coco pump right opposite HP refinery at Vizag airport.

Attachment 2273507
This wouldn't qualify to be called a scam. This is a simple offer from the company to lure customers to move towards premium fuel from the regular one. They aren't forcing customers to opt for premium fuel.

Around 10 odd years back, I too faced the issue about fueling that used to be stopped after Rs. 300 - 500 of fueling and then they used to reset and start again saying power failure. After suspecting some scam, once I registered a complaint in their register.

Since then, I make sure to get down from the car as soon as the fuel lid is opened. I tell them the amount to be filled only after reaching near them, watch the fueling process, take a pic of the meter on the pump and ask for a receipt. When you show you are attentive, that's a good deterrence for them not to mess up.

Thankfully, an HP COCO pump has opened near my home since a couple of years and they are exceptionally professional and courteous all the while. Never faced any issue with them until now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks