Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2024, 00:18   #256
BANNED

Re: Petrol Pump scams

As a habit, I avoid PSU pumps whether in city or on highways unless it's a dire need & I am down to last drop. I typically always fills up at JIO-BP pumps and have found them to be reliable and honest so far.

For locating pumps along my planned route , I use below URL to get their pumps info beforehand.

https://transplanner.ril.com/

Never failed me so far in last one year since I started using them & my car is a happy bunch with good mileage. On the way back, I do a tank full from last pump on home run, which keeps the car filled till my next road trip* for those local shopping travels.
.sushilkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2024, 11:22   #257

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandu1564 View Post
On January 17th, 2024, I visited an Indian Oil petrol pump near Wadgaon Sheri in Pune.

I explicitly requested ₹420 worth of petrol, and the attendant acknowledged my request.

He initially filled ₹120 worth of petrol and stopped, prompting me to make a payment. I reiterated my request for ₹420, and he continued filling the tank from the previous reading, reaching ₹300 before stopping again and claiming it was full.

Suspicious of his actions, I dismounted my bike and raised my voice, explaining to the manager (who was coincidentally nearby) that the attendant was continuing the previous reading and pressuring me to pay.

The manager intervened, calming me down and instructing the attendant to complete the requested fuel amount.

It appeared the attendant attempted to distract me by inquiring about my payment method and promoting the Indian Oil app for rewards and free petrol. However, I remained vigilant and monitored the meter, catching his attempt to shortchange me.

Remember to stay alert and always keep an eye on the meter while refueling.
The same modus operandi is being used by the HP petrol pump near Kalewadi Phata (opposite Park Street).
Another trick they use is by clicking on back button on POS when we are paying via UPI. This shows that the transaction is unsuccessful in POS but our UPI transaction is successful and money gets debited. I had to reach out to pump manager as well as UPI and credit card bank to get it resolved. Received the money back after 2 weeks. I still remember the attendant asking me " Are you going outstation?" before pulling this off. So they basically look for people who are in a hurry.
This is a very shady petrol pump and is to be avoided at all cost.
NightFury is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2024, 09:39   #258
BHPian

Chanced upon this in Instagram.

Some of the comments talk about air in the fuel lines as being the cause, some others point to leaking supply lines , but there were also interesting comments stating this is done proactively to dispel air from the lines before that particular unit is used to service customers i.e. some form of calibration.

Coming from a media outlet, it would be highly irresponsible if the reality were far from what is attempted to be portrayed.

Last edited by arnieshwartz : 18th April 2024 at 09:39. Reason: Corrected typos
arnieshwartz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 09:58   #259
Senior - BHPian

I noticed that the receipts given by IOCL pump near my home doesn't have petrol pump name, address or gst/tax number. I have always seen petrol pump info printed on receipts from other public sector pumps. Is it a scam and fake bill or this is how IOCL receipts look ? I have recently started filling at IOCL so have no idea if this is genuine.
Attached Thumbnails
Petrol Pump scams-20240520_152305.jpg  

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 22nd May 2024 at 10:03.
Old 22nd May 2024, 10:25   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandu1564 View Post
I explicitly requested ₹420 worth of petrol, and the attendant acknowledged my request.

He initially filled ₹120 worth of petrol and stopped, prompting me to make a payment. I reiterated my request for ₹420, and he continued filling the tank from the previous reading, reaching ₹300 before stopping again and claiming it was full.
This has happened with me, more than once. I ask for a certain amount, say Rs. 1000 and the attendant pours Rs 300 worth fuel and stops, I don't bother to correct them or get into an argument. I just pay Rs. 300 and leave. I never correct the attendant.

I know that I have to spend another 10-15 minutes at another pump and again fill the tank. I am OK with that hassle, but I don't want to deal with the cheating attendant anymore. I feel uncomfortable dealing with him.

Thereafter, I never visit that pump again and also remember the attendant. I don't want to get into an argument with these people.

I always, get down from the car, make sure that the meter reading is zero and just focus on the filling. I keep the payment/cash ready in my hand and flash it to the attendant if he tries to engage in petty talks.

Last edited by ashkamath : 22nd May 2024 at 10:30.
ashkamath is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 27th May 2024, 12:26   #261
BHPian

Is meter jumping possible by flicking the "hold latch" that locks the trigger in the open position for continuous fueling without needing to hold the trigger constantly. I felt that the meter jumped from Rs. 30 to Rs. 100+ and my suspicious grew more when the consumption showed 11.8kmpl vs usual average of 13kmpl.
Old 22nd June 2024, 16:15   #262
Senior - BHPian

Interesting incident

57.83 liters petrol filled in car with 45-litre fuel tank capacity during ‘experiment’ in Kochi...

https://www.onmanorama.com/news/busi...ity-kochi.html
Old 22nd June 2024, 18:42   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Interesting incident

57.83 liters petrol filled in car with 45-litre fuel tank capacity during ‘experiment’ in Kochi...
Funny enough, I've had the same experience once at an IOC bunk in Ahmedabad.

The attendant was very enthusiastic and just kept filling well past the cutoff, which before that I had always stopped at.

I was also worried but it checked out since I kept an eye on the fuel gauge and it ran a lot more while it was still marked full, and the "tank to tank" numbers lined up too.

This was a petrol i20 with a 45-litre fuel tank which I'd never let empty below reserve.

I would never let this happen again, but it was definitely interesting to see how much it could take.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks