Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2022, 13:30   #211
Senior - BHPian

Re: Petrol Pump scams

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Sorry if wrong, but is it not advisable to turn off the engine while fuel is being filled up? As my father used to say, go near the pump, switch off car, open fuel lid, get down, inform type of fuel and quantity, check zero and stay there till process is completed.

Old habits die hard i guess...
I don't really see the point in turning off the car nor have I ever done it. I thought that was just a habit that stuck around from the times of old cars like people who rev their cars before turning them off.
Old 21st December 2022, 20:39   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust-n-bones View Post
Not sure why an attendant cannot do the same tricks here - scan, show a bogus fill, and then give you partial fill. Till the time there is a 'man in the middle', and that man can be corrupted and the customer can be distracted, this problem doesn't go away - is what I feel.
Attendant doesn’t even log amount here I thought, he scans the QR code we got in SMS starts the dispense machine, sets to zero and after that it stops only after the coupon amount is reached. If he stops it purposely there is no reason he can give.
Old 28th December 2022, 14:36   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrit_bareta View Post
Sir, if we ask them to put oil in rupees instead of litres , then the chances of this fraud may be reduced, I always ask them to put oil in rupees, not in litres .

You are absolutely right sir, petrol pump machines in rural areas are mostly tampered with.This thing is very common in our Punjab, specially at Indian Oil pumps
Even if you ask him to fill petrol of Rs. 500, they will fill Rs. 100, then they will continue till 400. Then ask you to pay 100+400= 500. But he filled for only 400 as he DID NOT RESET the meter in between. He gets to keep the extra 100. They pretend to hear wrong and scam us.
Old 19th January 2023, 12:21   #214
e46
BHPian

Attention Bangalore folks,

Its has been twice in the last few weeks that I noticed this aparent scam (IOCL) and thought of sharing. I ensure the meter is zero before refilling, but still find that it rapidly reaches Rs. 120-130 in first few secs.

I am unsure if this really is a scam and others have experienced the same. Please let me know.

Also, any pointers to petrol pumps in between Silk Board and Embassy Tech park in Outer ring road which are comparatively better/ cheat less.
Old 21st January 2023, 21:54   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46 View Post
Attention Bangalore folks,

Its has been twice in the last few weeks that I noticed this aparent scam (IOCL) and thought of sharing. I ensure the meter is zero before refilling, but still find that it rapidly reaches Rs. 120-130 in first few secs.

I am unsure if this really is a scam and others have experienced the same. Please let me know.
If you see the meter reset to '0' then rest assured there is no scam. Rate of dispensing is Dispenser specific. Hence speed varies, key thing to note is that the meter reads 0 before refuelling.
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2023, 22:59   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46 View Post

Newer dispensers go upto 50 lpm with 10 lpm machines being very common. For 120 rupee you get a little more than a litre. Hence it will take a newer machine barely 4-5 seconds to dispense that amount.
Also, most of IOCL pumps are automated, if in doubt you can ask them to confirm the transaction on their system, If you've been provided with a printed bill, no chance of less delivery whatsoever.
Stolidus500 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2023, 11:35   #217
BHPian

While returning from a long trip, Kannur to Bang, I stopped at Nayara in Hunsur for filling. The guy started to pump fuel and stopped at ~400 (note: not exactly at 400). I can't recall whether he had asked me initially about qty or not but I wanted a full tank. When I asked why he stopped, he said all locals fill up for 400 (which is a joke since card run 40-50 kms only) and I joked it would be over soon. Then many of them started talking about Delhi (DL plate) etc and when I saw the machine they were filling up. But while charging they asked me to pay Rs 400 + Rs 2750 even though as per my accurate calculations, the car could only take fuel for Rs 2750. This despite the meter reading was not exactly Rs 2750 (they were leaving the change for cheating me!). I protested and they started saying machine resets to 0 automatically etc. Basically, they had distracted me while conitnuing to fill up and asked for Rs 400 extra. I have tweeted to Nayara about this and they are investigating! The receipt given was on paper which also indicates fraud! I hope the pump keeps digital record and also CCTV cameras capture the readings! I was really pissed at this!
Another thing I noticed is that my car efficiency on highway seems to be lower by ~2-3 km/lt (15-16 kmpl swift petrol on long drive). Are people seeing lower fuel efficiency on Nayara fuel? I see decent efficiency when I fill at Essar in local drives (~12-13 kmpl). I believe earlier I have seen ever ~18 kmpl on long drive with higher load (~ 150 kg higher).
heysac is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2023, 11:43   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heysac View Post
... I have tweeted to Nayara about this and they are investigating! The receipt given was on paper which also indicates fraud! I hope the pump keeps digital record and also CCTV cameras capture the readings! I was really pissed at this! ...
Filled fuel at Nayara, enroute from Bangalore to Lepakshi (the first one that come in this sector on the highway). Total amount was 3091, attendant keyed in 3901 in card machine and payment done. But he noticed it himself and paid the difference in cash.

Not sure if this was a scam, which he aborted as I always ask for payment slip and bill, or a valid slip of the finger.
Old 22nd May 2023, 11:47   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Filled fuel at Nayara, enroute from Bangalore to Lepakshi
How was the fuel efficiency? Another bhp-ian had mentioned that the fuel efficiency was lower on Nayara Diesel.
Old 22nd May 2023, 12:15   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heysac View Post
How was the fuel efficiency? Another bhp-ian had mentioned that the fuel efficiency was lower on Nayara Diesel.
My first experience with Nayara was a filling from Erode, 3 days back. Got better than usual mileage.

The current filling needs to checked.
Old 22nd May 2023, 12:23   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Filled fuel at Nayara, enroute from Bangalore to Lepakshi..Not sure if this was a scam, which he aborted as I always ask for payment slip and bill, or a valid slip of the finger.
Mistake may be genuine but then what about fuel surcharge? If my surcharge was waived off till 3000 and he fills upto 3100 and gives me Rs.100 back, I would still have to pay a higher surcharge amount. May be of minuscule value, but still.
Old 22nd May 2023, 14:43   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
Mistake may be genuine but then what about fuel surcharge? If my surcharge was waived off till 3000 and he fills upto 3100 and gives me Rs.100 back, I would still have to pay a higher surcharge amount. May be of minuscule value, but still.
Good point; but fortunately, the surcharge gets reversed.
Old 22nd May 2023, 16:36   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Good point; but fortunately, the surcharge gets reversed.
Yes, but some cards have a capping on it. And it's in percentages, right? Or is it entire charge always gets reversed?
Old 22nd May 2023, 21:05   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
Yes, but some cards have a capping on it. And it's in percentages, right? Or is it entire charge always gets reversed?
Entire charge always gets reversed. My net card charge for fuel has always been what I have been billed at the petrol station.
Old 26th May 2023, 20:04   #225

In my experience, reversal depends on Credit card bank as well as the petrol pump vendor.

Normally on using credit cards, surcharge of 1% and GST of 18% on surcharge is levied to consumers. Ex. If fuel of 3000₹, 30₹ will be surcharge and 5.40₹ will be GST.

On using my ICICI credit card on HPCL bunks, both GST as well as surcharge is reversed. However, on Shell and others, only surcharge is reversed.

On using Amex credit card on Shell, neither surcharge nor GST is reversed.

In either of cases, we don't receive reward points also . I have decided to stick to using UPI at bunks now !!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks