Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2022, 14:22   #181
BHPian

Re: Petrol Pump scams

The exact thing happened with me: 11PM in a relatively busy area of Delhi. I said 2000, he filled up 200 and then apologized and blamed his hearing and took it up to 1800, and claimed that's 2000.

Typically, I am a casual person and might actually have let it go, but that day I was a bit pissed off for other reasons, and so demanded the bill. He used the same excuse, no bill, machine reset blah blah. I said then what prove do you have that you have filled in petrol for 2000, why should I pay? A colleague of his showed up and apparently they some master meter/dispenser(?) which can always show how much is dispensed from which machine. This confirmed only 1800 worth of fuel was dispensed.

I lodged a complaint on the HP website a few days later. Attached the bill. Received a follow up from their Regional Lead the next day, and the Pump Manager. He showed me the CCTV footage of the scene to confirm this was the attendant, and told me he would be let go since there have been other similar complaints like this about him. I received a follow call from the Regional Lead sharing the corrective action, and some apologies.

TBH, I don't think such scams are being practiced by the Pump owners or managers. These are rogue operators, and calling them out and putting such things in writing (in the pump complaint book, or online) is the only way.
negativeH is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 14:34   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshVShrotriya View Post
But, will we all accept the "hard work" of spending 15 mins filling fuel and topping air ourselves, or agree to use card payments, or be honest with cash handling? Hmmm.. not sure about that.
Like with filing taxes or booking train tickets, the problem of petty corruption has to be framed correctly - do you, as a customer, want the 'convenience' of menial labour and the suspense that goes with it, or do you want a boringly reliable self-service.

To each his own. There will be people who can't change habits, or want to contribute to 'local economy'. Good for them. The market is large enough for catering to variety of customers.

But I suspect, like with taxes and tickets, most people will choose 'boring self-service' when it comes money.
Old 21st November 2022, 14:41   #183
BHPian

Where ever I fill petrol/diesel now a days, as soon as we say amount, they pre-feed that in the machine and machine automatically stops after the desired amount is met. I believed that this is one good move on the machine side. Are there any flaws in this system too?
Old 21st November 2022, 15:23   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
IOCL Pump, near Chennai Airport (Guess it's a COCO).
:
We have been filling up fuel at the BP bunk right after the IOCL for more than 20 years now. Every single time we ask them to refuel the first thing the attender does is to ask us to look at the meter till the fuel is filled up. They have never tried to distract us ever.

Funnily enough I have never stepped foot in the IOCL you mentioned in all these years.
Shanksta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 16:03   #185
BHPian

Sharing 2 incidents -
1. I ask to fill for Rs 2000. I pay Rs2000 through card before the filling is complete.
They fill for 1500 and stop but give me Rs 500 back.

2. I ask to fill for Rs2000. He stops at Rs500, says "electricity has gone". Then goes near the machine (did something which I didnt see), but meter was not reset to zero. and continues to fill, and stops at Rs 1500.

Q1. Have I been scammed in both cases?

Q2. What should I do in case number 2? Ask to reset the meter to zero and then fill for Rs1500?

Q3. How much loss did I suffer in case 2?
Old 21st November 2022, 17:46   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust-n-bones View Post
Just like we removed the taxman from the tax filing process, and the railway clerk from the ticket booking process, can we not remove this 'petrol filler' from filling petrol?

How hard is it to fill petrol (or air)? Not sure why some enterprising filling stations don't try it, their reliability ratings will skyrocket.

Unless the pump itself is rigged (which I hear now is almost impossible), you get what you pay for, without the drama and suspense.
It will definitely work with civilized and ethical people. But there will be lot of cases where fuel is filled and people escaping without payment. Many have a habit of misusing the opportunity for petty gains.
Or if we consider prepaid fuel filling, chances of technical issues leading to unwanted delays & refunds are always there.
Asish_VK is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 17:59   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by negativeH View Post
These are rogue operators, and calling them out and putting such things in writing (in the pump complaint book, or online) is the only way.
Thats what I gather from this thread as these type scams occur at COCO's as well. But what benefit does the individual pump operator get by trying such a scam? I assume they work in shifts and have pumps assigned to them, so they're not working on a commission basis. Also when payment is by UPI or card, the amount goes directly to the operating company?
gomzi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 19:11   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust-n-bones View Post
Just like we removed the taxman from the tax filing process, and the railway clerk from the ticket booking process, can we not remove this 'petrol filler' from filling petrol?

How hard is it to fill petrol (or air)? Not sure why some enterprising filling stations don't try it, their reliability ratings will skyrocket.

Unless the pump itself is rigged (which I hear now is almost impossible), you get what you pay for, without the drama and suspense.
The first thing comes to my mind is 'Safety'. Unlike tax or train ticket, the chances of untoward accidents are quite high. Gain vs pain is quite high in our Indian scenario, where sense of responsibility and common sense in using public property or self use equipment is not confidence inspiring. Petrol pumps are looted, fuel is filled in unauthorized containers and list is long. So we can imagine what could happen in self filling /pre paid pumps.

I believe, being alert and attentive is the only way we can reduce chances of being scammed.
Aviator_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 19:21   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhead View Post
Sharing 2 incidents -
1. I ask to fill for Rs 2000. I pay Rs2000 through card before the filling is complete.

2. I ask to fill for Rs2000. He stops at Rs500, says "electricity has gone". Then goes near the machine (did something which I didnt see), but meter was not reset to zero. and continues to fill, and stops at Rs 1500.

Q1. Have I been scammed in both cases?

Q2. What should I do in case number 2? Ask to reset the meter to zero and then fill for Rs1500?

Q3. How much loss did I suffer in case 2?
Q1. I think you have been scammed only in case 2. Case 1 seems legit.

Q2. In such cases, problem is that there is no way to know beforehand that he will stop at Rs 1500. So better to ask for the reciept. Reciept for both current dispense and the previous one. Check the timestamps on both.

Q3. Rs 500.

Last edited by BhaskarG : 21st November 2022 at 19:23.
BhaskarG is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 20:52   #190
BHPian

Faced a strange situation at a famous petrol pump in Kakinada. Finding someone ahead on his 2-wheeler, gave money to the attendant to save time and pushed my bike ahead. After a minute or so the guy filled my bike and then asked for money. I replied that I already paid. He refused to accept this, but on my insistence called someone to check on CCTV. Finally, after 15 min or so after resetting the recording etc, I showed the payment being made by me. Could only shout at him but he looked normal as if it was planned.
Old 21st November 2022, 21:03   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
Thats what I gather from this thread as these type scams occur at COCO's as well. But what benefit does the individual pump operator get by trying such a scam? I assume they work in shifts and have pumps assigned to them, so they're not working on a commission basis. Also when payment is by UPI or card, the amount goes directly to the operating company?
Petrol pumps get a mix of cash and digital payment and they do tally the payments at the end of shift or day against the sale. Excess cash at the consolidated level (others paying through cash) will be split between them. The dealer will benefit if digital mode of payment is the only option in pumps but there is no benefit for the attendant and will easily get caught in audits.
thanixravindran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 23:48   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asish_VK View Post
But there will be lot of cases where fuel is filled and people escaping without payment.
Or if we consider prepaid fuel filling, chances of technical issues leading to unwanted delays & refunds are always there.
There can be a 3rd option - the pump confirms your payment option (by you swiping a card, or scanning a QR, or buying a prepaid card against cash, and agreeing to pay), you fill however much you want, and then the pump charges you the sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
The first thing comes to my mind is 'Safety'. Unlike tax or train ticket, the chances of untoward accidents are quite high. Gain vs pain is quite high in our Indian scenario, where sense of responsibility and common sense in using public property or self use equipment is not confidence inspiring. Petrol pumps are looted, fuel is filled in unauthorized containers and list is long. So we can imagine what could happen in self filling /pre paid pumps.

I believe, being alert and attentive is the only way we can reduce chances of being scammed.
Agree with you. There is always teething trouble with any change. Though scenarios you referred to can be addressed relatively easily. Pumps are already designed to be idiot proof (its not as if pump attendants are a highly trained lot). This looting angle - I don't think pumps today are secure due to presence of attendants so that their absence becomes a security risk.

In any case, we are not talking about a 'human less' site. There will be attendants in the attached store, and at the car servicing stations (oil change etc) for sure.
Old 22nd November 2022, 00:44   #193
BHPian

Interesting thing happened to me couple of days back in Bangalore IOCL petrol bunk near SAP Labs.
I told the attendant to fill Full Tank. Apparently he only filled till 510 INR and stopped. As I payed attention to the meter another guy corrected him its not 510 its FULL TANK.

I am sure I threw a spanner in their devious plans.
Later I realized Full tank and 510 rhyme a bit.

Last edited by redcruiser : 22nd November 2022 at 00:46.
redcruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 11:41   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
Interesting thing happened to me couple of days back in Bangalore IOCL petrol bunk near SAP Labs.
I told the attendant to fill Full Tank. Apparently he only filled till 510 INR and stopped. As I payed attention to the meter another guy corrected him its not 510 its FULL TANK.

I am sure I threw a spanner in their devious plans.
Later I realized Full tank and 510 rhyme a bit.
Beware about the IOCL pump near SAP labs. It is notorious for malpractices so you are not alone with your experience.
Aviator_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 15:28   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhead View Post
Sharing 2 incidents -

Whenever scenario 2 plays out, just pay the amount where it stopped and scoot. No way, any of us can match these ruffians.
Gotham_City is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks