Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2022, 23:53   #166
BHPian

Re: Petrol Pump scams

I always get out of the car and will stand by the side of fuel pump to personally monitor the process. I always ensure that zero is set and I pay only after the process is over. I haven't ever been scammed in my 20 years of driving. Only when we let our gaurd down they sense an opportunity and try to scam us.
deetee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 07:21   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
I always get out of the car and will stand by the side of fuel pump to personally monitor the process. I always ensure that zero is set and I pay only after the process is over. I haven't ever been scammed in my 20 years of driving. Only when we let our gaurd down they sense an opportunity and try to scam us.
What is the advantage of getting down and standing near the fuel lid and watching, compared to watching them by sitting inside the car itself and ensuring the zero is set and fuel qty/price is displayed correctly?

Last edited by balenoed_ : 21st October 2022 at 07:23.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 07:45   #168
BHPian

I had a experience were the auto-cutoff didn't work which resulted in fuel spilling over.

From that point I don't fill full tank and stand near the pump.
Old 21st October 2022, 08:01   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
What is the advantage of getting down and standing near the fuel lid and watching, compared to watching them by sitting inside the car itself and ensuring the zero is set and fuel qty/price is displayed correctly?
I guess extra precaution won't hurt, specially at unknown petrol pumps
Aviator_guy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 16:32   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Old habbit that stuck with me. Back in the days of M800 the fuel cap didn't have string. So, if they didn't replace after filling , cap is goner and fuel could spill out. So, I made it a habit to stand beside filling and ensure everything is done properly.

Eventually that led to striking a conversation with attendents which actually helps to keep away boredom in long drives; gathering Intel about local conditions during outstation trips etc. On top of it, attendents are also cautious that someone is watching over the shoulder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun_S View Post
I had a experience were the auto-cutoff didn't work which resulted in fuel spilling over.

From that point I don't fill full tank and stand near the pump.
I faced that once. Later on, I ask before filling whether auto cut off is in working order. If not, I choose to fill less that estimated tank full quantity. Sometimes, even if one pump is not working, there maybe another one with working autocutoff, available in the same bunk. We just have to ask for it.

Last edited by deetee : 21st October 2022 at 16:51.
Old 21st October 2022, 20:21   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by city2491 View Post
Came across an interesting scam today at IOCL Petrol Pump Mazagaon, Mumbai.
Saw that IOCL has responded on the facebook post on this issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Petrol Pump scams-iocl_response.png  

Old 24th October 2022, 17:23   #172
BHPian

Place: SRS Petroleum, Pavagada, Tumkur Distict (Karnataka)

I was scammed here on 23 October 2022 evening. I fill up Diesel for Rs. 3000. Hand over the card to the attendant, who punches in the amount, says card declined and quickly presses a button after which the message disappeared. I know that a few PoS machines/banks do not process Diners Club cards. Handover my debit card and the payment in processed immediately.

I leave the place and after a few minutes, I check my phone and even the credit card has been swiped for Rs. 3000. I go back in 5 minutes, and he pretends that he had not seen me at all. I confront him with the message, he quickly checks the PoS report and mentions "Oh, received it now". I ask him to print the chargeslip, for which he opens the cap where the chargeslip is loaded, and to my surprise the paper is not loaded. It is neatly kept folded thick at one end so that chargeslip cannot be printed. He can always say that the roller was stuck. He then quickly rectifies it, prints the chargeslip and asks "Can I give you cash". He quickly hands over the cash and disappears. Be careful and wary of this place.
subbaramu is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 24th October 2022, 18:22   #173
BANNED

CNG filling is almost scam free. Attendant can't cheat you it always starts from zero no need to reset. And you will get exact quantity you pay for. There may be some heavy gas issue on few station. Where normal air is pumped instead of gas.
Chevyspark is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 10:03   #174
Senior - BHPian

Can't find a relevant thread for this.

Saw one of the unusual thing you'll see in a petrol pump yesterday that I have not seen all my life.

As I was entering Maraimalainagar BPCL COCO. Saw an owner filling (more of topping up) fuel in his Seltos and the attendant was standing beside.

In a country where most motorists don't even get out of the car for refueling. This certainly is new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyspark View Post
CNG filling is almost scam free.
As a safety measure, all occupants must be out of the vehicle for a CNG refill right? I've seen attendants don't pull tricks when the owner is supervising in general.
narayans80 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 12:42   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

IOCL Pump, near Chennai Airport (Guess it's a COCO).

I usually stick to BP / Nayara in city or even highways and almost always avoid HP / IOC. However few friends gave very positive feedback on the XP95 and wanted to try this, so went to the IOC pump near the Chennai Airport (both BP & HP are also on the same line and all are COCO as I recollect).

Asked the attender to fill 10L in my Versys and the guy stops after filling 2L. I say it's 10L and

he: "Thought you said 2L" (pretends to reset the meter and continues to fill).
He : Cash or card? (distracts me from looking at the meter)
Me : Card
He : what card?
Me : Hdfc
He : Citibank has lot of cash back
Me : Ok

The pump shows 8L by now and he stops. I point it to him and he says he reset the meter after filling 2L and filled 8L after the reset.

Gave the card to him and he swipes for 10L worth. Asked for a bill and he prepares a hand written bill. Told him I need the bill from the machine. He says no bills from the machine as we finished the fuel fill up (the machine is yet to reset after mine). I asked him to meet the manager.

He is stuck now - calls his colleague to get the bill from the machine and the guy fiddles with it

He : do you doubt me sir?
Me : Yes, I do ! Get me the bill quick.
He : bill has to be taken immediately after the fill, else can't get it.
Me : I asked for the bill as soon as we filled up
Colleague to attender : There is no bill for 10L, shows only 8L - why do u try these stunts in the morning.
He : Sir - shall I fill 2 more litres
Me : Yes, thank You

I read about a similar scam and one of the members had mentioned about the bill from the pump itself and today, I saved abt 250/- coz of that. This indeed is a helpful place

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 20th November 2022 at 12:46.
swiftnfurious is offline   (102) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 13:51   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
IOCL Pump, near Chennai Airport (Guess it's a COCO).
he: "Thought you said 2L" (pretends to reset the meter and continues to fill).
A similar thing happened to me yesterday.

HP Pump, Mahadevpura, before Phoenix mall on the left side.

Told to fill for Rs. 500. He stops at 400 and collects money. I gave 500 and he was still staring at me as if I did not understand what he did.

I told him, I told you to fill for 500. Sorry sir, I heard you say Rs.400.
Better go check your ears I told and give me the damn Rs.100/- back and gave him a mouthful.
balenoed_ is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 12:23   #177
BHPian

^^ This is why when I am not filling a full tank, I ask for the amount in all languages (english, kannada, hindi, like 200 ruppes, innuri, do sau rupaye, and to add to it I also point the number of fingers, like 2 fingers for 200). Hoping they cannot claim they heard it wrong in all languages and also saw a wrong number of fingers. Never have been prey to this scam. I avoid filling in for 100 so I don't end up showing the wrong single finger.
Bh.P is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 12:35   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Colleague to attender : There is no bill for 10L, shows only 8L - why do u try these stunts in the morning.
Should have tried the stunt in the afternoon or night, then?
MotuSid is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 13:48   #179
BHPian

Just like we removed the taxman from the tax filing process, and the railway clerk from the ticket booking process, can we not remove this 'petrol filler' from filling petrol?

How hard is it to fill petrol (or air)? Not sure why some enterprising filling stations don't try it, their reliability ratings will skyrocket.

Unless the pump itself is rigged (which I hear now is almost impossible), you get what you pay for, without the drama and suspense.
dust-n-bones is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 14:13   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust-n-bones View Post
can we not remove this 'petrol filler' from filling petrol?
Absolutely can and I believe that is how rest of the world works. Most places that I have seen outside India, you have now self paid pumps, if not pre paid ones via mobile apps - that I love.
You do the job yourself. 99% times at pump stations I do not even need a human.
But, will we all accept the "hard work" of spending 15 mins filling fuel and topping air ourselves, or agree to use card payments, or be honest with cash handling? Hmmm.. not sure about that.
HarshVShrotriya is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks