Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2022, 13:43   #151
src
BHPian

Re: Petrol Pump scams

Am pretty newbie compared to most folks here. But I do not remember fueling a tank without me getting down and stand beside the reading machine.

Once there was a power cut and I noticed the amount and upon resumption it started from ZERO. Could easily add them up for final bill.

As a thumb rule mostly we are in a hurry while starting a day or journey so I always do a tank up after ending a journey.
Always stand beside the attendant. Never open your fuel cap early to give them a chance.

Thanks.
Old 16th October 2022, 22:16   #152
BHPian

Folks, let's not bash the OP. Thanks to the OP, some people in here are now aware of this scam.
Old 17th October 2022, 08:43   #153
BHPian

I follow a simple strategy.
Get out of the car, stand next to the attendant when he starts to fill and start a small chat with him.

It’s actually me who is distracting him from doing anything at the same time keeping an eye on him.

Also at times the moment he starts to fill I pull out my card and ask him to get his POS machine, while waiting for the auto cut off to kick in.
Old_Salt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 09:37   #154
BHPian

Two scam methods I endured in Nigeria, which may have relevance here. BHPians please watch out:

1. Fraud by TURNING OFF the Fuel Dispenser
I would have told the attendant to fill for 6000 Naira and he will do everything textbook style: Reset to Zero, set to 6000, notify me and the numbers would start ticking. (Even a careful customer would assume everything onward to be proper and reduce his scrutiny). Shortly afterward he will show me the display readout showing 6000 BUT BLINKING.

Here is the catch: If the display is blinking, it indicates a power outage (intentional or instigated) and the readout displays the amount it was SET for, regardless of the quantity that has already gone into the tank.

But the FILLED data is stored in system memory and is invoked at startup. Just politely tell him to power-up the system and pay him for how much has been filled.

2. RIGGED Dispenser
I know from the user manual that my vehicle's fuel tank capacity is 78 Liters and there is quarter tank remaining. I request a full-tank in a remote location in Nigeria and the display races up, PAST 70 liters.
It may have cost us more in time than the 2000 odd Naira it saved us, to set matters right.
KANNURAN is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 11:29   #155
BHPian

A few days ago, I went to IndianOil to fill up XP95 and I was asked to scan a brochure for some festive offer. The bunk guys were pestering me to scan it during the tank up process - I am thinking this is another gimmick to distract us, so please ask them to wait till the payment is completed.

By the way, this is just a coupon that can be redeemed at P&G online store and nothing worthwhile. Definitely not worth getting conned at the fuel station.

Thank you for participating in festive dhamaka. Your e-coupon is ******** Redeem at https://pgshop.in/exclusive-deals/. -SAMMS
Old 17th October 2022, 11:42   #156
BHPian

There’s some fleecing going on between Bharat Petroleum pumps and ICICI Bank Credit cards. Last month I filled diesel worth 2000 rs. Was surprised to see additional 28.60 added to my statement. When I called the bank they started telling me the rules of charge, cess etc. I have asked them why:
1. The petroleum station don’t have it clearly marked on notice board?
2. Why the charge on SMS and statement are different ?
To both questions they had no answer and quickly refunded the extra charge. But root of the problem is fleecing customers and unknowingly they must be doing that to lakhs of card holders.
If it’s a charge the bank puts then I would be okay but why different charges on SMS and statement. It does not show honest way of working.
Old 17th October 2022, 12:26   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by city2491 View Post
Came across an interesting scam today at IOCL Petrol Pump Mazagaon, Mumbai.
This similar scam almost happened with us when returning from Goa. This happened at IOCL pump on the Pune stretch of return to Mumbai. Luckily I was paying attention to the pump all the time. Also the other thing i asked was for him to pull up the pump records from the sytem or pull the bills out. I also called the IOCL customer care at same time with the phone on speaker and then immediately one guy went in to check the so called computer in a dark room with glass and then came back saying what i saw was correct (mind you in the dark room there was no light and neither i saw the monitor light come on)

Last edited by Aditya : 5th November 2022 at 05:09. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
Old 17th October 2022, 12:42   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunGaDa View Post
There’s some fleecing going on between Bharat Petroleum pumps and ICICI Bank Credit cards. ..
If it’s a charge the bank puts then I would be okay but why different charges on SMS and statement. It does not show honest way of working.
I too had similar doubts but then I checked about fuel surcharge on Youtube and understood what it meant. Some credit cards give just 1% waiver while some give upto 4% or Rs.400.

I generally use RBL or IDFC card for fuelling up so that the surcharge get's waived off when under the limit.

And yes, the surcharge is added later on during the billing, not during the filling whose amount is reflected in the SMS.
Old 17th October 2022, 17:58   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunGaDa View Post
There’s some fleecing going on between Bharat Petroleum pumps and ICICI Bank Credit cards........
......But root of the problem is fleecing customers and unknowingly they must be doing that to lakhs of card holders..
In my observation, this is happening for most of the Credit Cards, irrespective of fuel station. I have Visa, Mastercard and AMEX. Have used all 3 across HP, BPCL, IOC and Shell. The amount I see in SMS is different than statement. The surcharge is not entirely reverted at the end of billing cycle. Only a portion of it is. I have now switched to using UPI for fuel payments to ensure that I pay the exact amount of what I see at the pump. No issues since UPI is considered direct debit.
Old 17th October 2022, 18:18   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam264_2000 View Post
I.. The surcharge is not entirely reverted at the end of billing cycle. Only a portion of it is. I have now switched to using UPI for fuel payments to ensure that I pay the exact amount of what I see at the pump. No issues since UPI is considered direct debit.
You are probably not getting back the GST amount which is levied on the surcharge. We have an exhaustive thread on credit cards on this forum that explains all of this.

The thing for me at least, is that you can only reach the spend amount to waive off the credit card annual charge, if you bill your recurring expenses to it. Fuel is on of those recurring expenses that at least gives you back some of the surcharge levied.
JithinR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 18:38   #161
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeevsulu View Post
Is it not much easier to just get out of the car, check for zero, fill up the tank and pay for the fuel later?
Absolutely can not agree more. Getting out of the car gives full control to witness the proceedings. Better safe than sorry.

I have noticed a unique habit in Pimpri-Chinchwad petrol pumps, the attendant are so impatient, that they start tapping the fuel lid immediately once you park and then to distract start asking cash/card.

Now my car's fuel lid is linked to central locking system and i did not unlock intentionally before i am ready to get down. The attendant get annoyed usually and some even screams 'Lid lauker ughada' (open the lid quickly), they expect driver not to get down.

Playing with calibration of the pumps is another story, that a user can never decipher.
Old 17th October 2022, 19:03   #162
BHPian

Quote:
What I can't understand is I could see the diesel up till the brink but the tank was far from full after leaving. So he definitely did not put the initial 4L and somehow managed to not fill up the tank.

So lesson learnt:
  • Never pay before the end of the transaction
  • Just leave and go to the next pump if it shuts off at less than what you have asked for
  • Check if your gauge shows sufficient increment
By the way, it's not a good idea to fill the tank to the brim. It may damage the vapour recovery system by flooding it.
Almost all cars will accomodate approx 10% extra ful from auto cut-off if you fill to the brim.

When you switch the ignition on, Fuel pump runs and pushes some fuel into the fuel lines and common rail to pressurise it, that quantity will vary based on diameter of line and length, pump's internal volume etc. Crysta is a long car so fuel line is likely to be long too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amey027 View Post

Keeping the ignition ON allows you to track the fuel filled in real time. Also keep your eyes like a hawk on the pump meter. I have a habit of first getting out of my car, standing next to the pump and then telling them how much I want to fill. Even if they provide a wrong input, you can correct it before the filling starts
I agree, modern cars are safer in this aspect.

I understand diesel are anyway safe from spontaneous combustion like that with static compared to petrol.
About keeping ignition on, I have noticed problems with Grand i10 in tracking last part of fuel filling. Recently i filled my Gi10 with petrol, in front of me auto cut-off. I paid and got in, noticed only 3/4th full. Confused, I asked him to top it off till brim (i almost never do). I saw it with my own eyes, it's done, but fuel gauge still showed 3/4th only. Confused and worried about fuel gauge, i drove off. Approx 2 km down the line stopped for some work and switched off the car. When i switched on the car again, it showed tank full to my relief. I think I have seen similar behaviour in my Zest also once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
During all the time, did you get off the driver seat ?
I usually make it a practice to get down and have a look at the fueling process myself.
Even i make it a point to observe the fuelling process.
ASHUJNMC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 21:48   #163
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Whenever I fill up my car with diesel, I always do this.
  • Turn off the car's engine.
  • Take my phone and key fob, then head to the pump.
  • "Bro - Do a tank fill, Ordinary Diesel, Payment by XXX credit card, Fuel Bill required and not the swiping machine slip," I instruct the pump attendant.
  • I put the lid back on after filling.
  • Swipe the card.

This gives the pump attendant the idea that I do this consistently and with attention.
Old 18th October 2022, 13:36   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Came across an interesting scam today at IOCL Petrol Pump Mazagaon, Mumbai.

Innova Crysta fuel gauge was showing little less than a quarter tank and asked the attendant to fill up 40L of Diesel. Like conventional oldest scams running, he fills up 4L worth 377.xx and said you asked 4L only.
One guy tried this on me, but the moment he said "I thought it's 200 not 2000" I just gave him the 200 and left.
giri1.8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 23:24   #165
BHPian

I always fill the tank to its full (Until cutoff) so there is no possibility of the guy asking me money/card early. And just like most others, I open tte fuel tank and go near the person to tell him to topup a full tank of diesel and to stop it at the auto cutoff.This also helps me calculate and track the mileage easily.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks