Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2020, 07:16   #316
BHPian

Re: Behind the Scenes: How Press & Media Drives Work

I was curious to know, what happens if an automotive journalist airs his video review on YouTube before embargo?

Does the Manufacturer/PR take any action against him/his company?

Besides there was a time when some car review was aired few hours before embargo and then pulled down about half an hour later or something.

Could such things be endorsed by the manufacturer, as it would give more attention to the car?
EightSix is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2020, 08:13   #317
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
How long to clear the highly inflammable fumes? Half an hour with all the doors open?
Windows down for about 15 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Crazy Covid times. Would Hyundai not do it for you?
Yep, all OEMs sanitize the car and send it. But one can never be too safe in such times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
Dunno if this is a FAQ, but do you remove the TBHP stickers after you stick them on the media cars?
Most times yes, but sometimes, they do go back with our sticker. The dealer will remove it in that case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightSix View Post
I was curious to know, what happens if an automotive journalist airs his video review on YouTube before embargo?
If it was an honest mistake, they'll overlook it as long as you take it down the minute you are notified of the same (has happened sometimes).

If it wasn't an honest mistake, then you'll never be invited again for their drives.

Of course, many car rags get "exclusives" which is a you-scratch-my-back and I-scratch-yours exchange. The OEM gives the car rag an exclusive in return for a glowing, praising, 100% positive review.
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 21st November 2020, 10:23   #318
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The OEM gives the car rag an exclusive in return for a glowing, praising, 100% positive review.
You mention car rag in the singular tense. Makes it really hard to guess!
ajmat is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 18:34   #319
Senior - BHPian

Re: MG Gloster : Official Review

Thanks so much for this review. However, I felt this was a sort of incomplete review as many detailed aspects seen in other TBHP reviews are missing in this one. Some bits I found missing-

1) Headlight throws at night
2) How the interior looks at night (specially the 64 color ambient lights)
3) Interior space depicting the available headroom/legroom/shoulder room, with one of the mods sitting inside.
4) Some sections like smaller yet significant things missing.
5) Some points on how good the 7 seat configuration is, along with the pictures of the bench seats and corresponding leg room.
6) Some pictures of max/ min leg room for rear passengers.
7) Very little is said about the touchscreen apart from the ADAS bits.
8) Very little description of the vast feature list (relative to other TBHP descriptions) Lesser number of pictorial descriptions too.
9) Recline angles of the second and third row of seats, along with pics.
10) No detailed coverage of the MID of the car.

Sorry to say, but for the first time, a bit disappointed with the official review of Team BHP, as I was waiting for this review for some long time!

Last edited by 07CR : 24th November 2020 at 18:36.
07CR is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 08:03   #320
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Thanks so much for this review. However, I felt this was a sort of incomplete review as many detailed aspects seen in other TBHP reviews are missing in this one. Some bits I found missing
Thanks for your feedback, 07CR. Have moved your post here so that we don't take the Gloster thread off-topic.

To ensure that we are able to review all the cars we want to & consider important, we have decided to give full reviews (like we did for the Thar) only to super important cars. For all others (like the Gloster & 330i in the recent past), we have decided to offer sufficient information to make an informed purchase decision, but not a 100 - 150 image review. Reason = bandwidth and allowing us to focus on other Team-BHP matters. We feel this is better than not reviewing the car at all (fact = we missed reviewing many cars in 2017, 2018 & 2019). Take a look at the Gloster and you will see that it covers all the important information that one needs to understand the car & make an informed purchase decision .

This helps us free up time for other equally important reviews, and also enhancements for the forum (software features, moderating & maintaining forum quality, creating other non-review threads etc. etc.).

It has also helped us release the initial reviews of cars like the Magnite, i20, Sonet, Thar, Grand i10 Turbo, Venue IMT, S-Cross Petrol at the same time as everyone else (basically when the embargo ends).

Going forward, you can expect many 30 - 50 image reviews (still more images than anyone else) which cover everything important you need to know about the car, in the MOST unbiased manner possible.

Last edited by GTO : 25th November 2020 at 08:07.
GTO is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 10:46   #321
NTO
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your feedback, 07CR. Have moved your post here so that we don't take the Gloster thread off-topic.

We feel this is better than not reviewing the car at all (fact = we missed reviewing many cars in 2017, 2018 & 2019). Take a look at the Gloster and you will see that it covers all the important information that one needs to understand the car & make an informed purchase decision .

This helps us free up time for other equally important reviews, and also enhancements for the forum (software features, moderating & maintaining forum quality, creating other non-review threads etc. etc.).

It has also helped us release the initial reviews of cars like the Magnite, i20, Sonet, Thar, Grand i10 Turbo, Venue IMT, S-Cross Petrol at the same time as everyone else (basically when the embargo ends).
I completely agree to your point and speed to market (speed at which we get the reviews) from team BHP now a days is totally and completely appreciated. I remember waiting for the Creta review for ever. However, we got the fabulous reviews of Thar, Sonet and other important reviews as quickly as the other not so useful, biased and sponsored reviews on youtube. Also reviews like that of Karan's GLS, Evoque add significant value. I, for one, do not recommend a car to my friends and family without reading the team BHP official review and this method of getting the review with all the important points covered definitely helps. I feel the Gloster review was sufficient enough to make an informed decision.
NTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 18:47   #322
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Covid has brought a lot of changes to the way we work, and we're loving it! Entire team is WFH & that has worked out surprisingly well.

More importantly, no longer are we flying to Goa or Rajasthan for media drives. Manufacturers are conducting events in the home cities of journalists. Typically, we get the car early in the morning and keep it till evening - that's enough for first impressions (like this one). Driving a car in Mumbai where we have ready access to more team members + infrastructure + familiarity with the roads + know the photoshoot locations greatly helps. I'd prefer things to stay like this only, versus flying to Goa for two days.

This is from last weekend in Lonavla:
Behind the Scenes: How Press & Media Drives Work-20210116-09.35.58.jpg

Next up are the 3-Series LWB, Safari & Citroen C5.
GTO is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 19:02   #323
GTO
Team-BHP Support

When we were new to car reviewing, we didn't know anything. There was no one to teach us and we didn't intern anywhere. We found our own way. Just see the difference in our 1st Official Review (Ritz) and any recent one.

Attire is one example. I wasn't sure how to dress for media drives!! I have a general rule in life = better overdressed than under, so went for the Manza TD in a shirt, trousers, formal shoes and a damn tie!

Behind the Scenes: How Press & Media Drives Work-manza-review-2.jpg

Now that we are "seasoned", it's usually a Team-BHP tee & denims or track pants.
GTO is offline   (52) Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 19:07   #324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could you manage to get hold of the Fortuner facelift yet?
cool_dube is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 08:03   #325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm going to be patiently waiting for that Citroen C5 review. It's been a long wait for the brand to come to India and now that's it's finally here, can't wait to see what everyone thinks of the product.

Also waiting for the Safari, it's quite an interesting proposition from what I read from ram87pune's first drive experience.

P.S - GTO, the review of the Altroz Turbo has not yet made it to the homepage. Appreciate the quick turnaround on that review.

Last edited by akash_v12 : 30th January 2021 at 08:06. Reason: Added a point
akash_v12 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 11:42   #326
Senior - BHPian

@Mods: Is there a full-fledged Honda City review in the pipeline or is it very difficult to work out the logistics and get the car due to the pandemic?

Asking for a friend who loves the great detail in the TBHP reviews.

Thanks
landcruiser123 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 11:51   #327
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Love it when the OEMs thoughtfully sent packets to sanitize the car. I pretty much empty that entire Savlon bottle before I even sit in a media car!

Behind the Scenes: How Press & Media Drives Work-20210124-07.30.46.jpg

Behind the Scenes: How Press & Media Drives Work-20210131-09.15.58.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
P.S - GTO, the review of the Altroz Turbo has not yet made it to the homepage. Appreciate the quick turnaround on that review.
Yikes! Thanks for pointing it out brother. Added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
@Mods: Is there a full-fledged Honda City review in the pipeline
No man, not in the pipeline. IMHO, my short review on the thread gives adequate information to make a purchase decision, especially the pros & cons at the start.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd February 2021 at 11:53.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 21:55   #328
Distinguished - BHPian

"Set The Roads On Fire"

With just one can of ethanol sanitizer? Well, I suppose it's a start
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 00:21   #329
BHPian

Quote:
GTO, is that the newly launched XUV300 Petrol AMT? Was there a media drive for the same? Any details you could possibly share ?
anthusiast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 12:56   #330
GTO
Team-BHP Support

We're now part of the "double toll" brigade! Reason = media cars never come with a FASTag. In the last year, the single car I have tested with a FASTag has been the Citroen. That means a 3-hour return trip to Lonavla is almost 1000 bucks (expressway + Vashi bridge toll). That also means the toll cost is now almost the same as the fuel for a diesel test car.

While most media cars see 2 highway runs from Team-BHP (first by the reviewer and then by me), some super important cars see 3 runs (e.g. Harrier). That's 3000 bucks in toll alone .

Last edited by GTO : 1st March 2021 at 12:59.
GTO is offline   (16) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks