Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2014, 12:49   #1
BHPian

Audi launches the A3 Cabriolet at 44.75 Lakhs

Audi has announced the launch of the A3 Cabriolet, priced at INR 44.75 Lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi. Bookings are now open!

Official website: http://cabriolet.audia3.in/

It is a looker no doubt and Congrats to Audi for taking the first step in creating a new category in the Indian market. IMO a bit overpriced, but nevertheless exciting to see if the group can follow this up with a Jetta Cabriolet at say 30L on road.

Audi launches the A3 Cabriolet at 44.75 Lakhs-152154.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 11th December 2014 at 16:27. Reason: Re-uploading pictures as attachments
car.lover is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 11th December 2014, 12:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Audi launches the A3 Cabriolet at 44.75 Lakhs

These cars IMHO are useless in India. We are far too dusty, noisy and polluted to be driving without roof. Not to mention horrible pricing too.
extreme_torque is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2014, 13:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
These cars IMHO are useless in India. We are far too dusty, noisy and polluted to be driving without roof. Not to mention horrible pricing too.
Over priced yes; may be useless for Delhi,
but a good buy for cities like chandigarh, and i expect it to spot many of them here soon.
akshay4587 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th December 2014, 13:43   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

This is yet again a brand building launch, just like how BMW did with the 330d convertible. I don't expect more than a handful of sales happening for this car. They should have priced it lower so it get some brand building done on the road rather than just PR value.
Sahil is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th December 2014, 14:07   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Its a welcome move from Audi. Its a niche product for sure. Rather too niche I must say. The car might be impractical for daily use but then the exclusivity it brings is worth having it for maybe as a weekend car.
Old 11th December 2014, 15:42   #6
BHPian

Not everything launched has to be seen from the same eye of usage! Yes, this might be an exclusive car, but atleast its one of its only kind of car. Cabriolet market in India is very limited, with either Mini having a open top version, or cars in excess of 70-80 lakhs. But this is really a nice car with utmost quality.
vikast_ap is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th December 2014, 18:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

Re: Audi launches the A3 Cabriolet at 44.75 Lakhs

I feel its a nice move.For one you get to buy something like this even in smaller cities and be sanguine that there is an Audi showroom to service it under warranty.I hear the A3 Cabrio in India comes with all options ticked with the S-Line package,Xenons,B&O system et al.
It looks fairly good and a superb pull for the rich yuppie who wants to drive his mates around.
A good engine to boot,can be pretty fun if needed be.

Price? I dont know.Everything is crazily priced in India these days.You can search and get a nice E92 for 55ish these days,but they wont be trouble free.

Atleast looks better than the SLK200.That thing screamed poverty-spec.
avishar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th December 2014, 07:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post

I, for one, would love to own such a car. I may very well drive it always with the roof up except occasionally perhaps on a Sunday.
But imagine the fun factor in owning such a vehicle, and driving it about say, on the East Coast Road from Madras to Pondicherry OR in Goa OR on the Mangalore Karwar Road OR on the lovely twisty roads in the Nilgiris...very few things in the world come as close to helping to realise one's dream of "wind in your hair" motoring!

However, while it is such a beautiful machine, the pricing in India is evilly atrocious, thereby ensuring that only a person whose pockets are super-deep, can even aspire to own one of these!

Me, I guess one day I will look for and buy an used Mini Cooper S and console myself.

Saying that, there will be a day (probably when Im old and grey) that these lovely cars will become available in the used car market and perhaps then, I shall have enough money to indulge this childhood fantasy. Until then, I shall make do with the 1:43 Scale Model versions that I can no doubt buy, at the Brand Store or at AutoArt...
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2014, 10:52   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I hear the A3 Cabrio in India comes with all options ticked with the S-Line package,Xenons,B&O system et al.
I doubt , most of these are listed as optional in spec sheet available on website
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2014, 21:15   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
driving it about say, on the East Coast Road from Madras to Pondicherry OR in Goa OR on the Mangalore Karwar Road OR on the lovely twisty roads in the Nilgiris...very few things in the world come as close to helping to realise one's dream of "wind in your hair" motoring!
On a lighter vein, I imagined driving this car from Chennai - Pondicherry without roof top on a bright afternoon in the month of April or May - wow I will be roasted alive.

This car will definitely make style and status statement, but not sure how far it will be useful in tropical country like India.
Old 14th December 2014, 22:20   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshBabu View Post
On a lighter vein, I imagined driving this car from Chennai - Pondicherry without roof top on a bright afternoon in the month of April or May - wow I will be roasted alive.

This car will definitely make style and status statement, but not sure how far it will be useful in tropical country like India.
Still possible in the early morning!
And do you really think that the South of France, Southern Italy or Southern Spain are any cooler in deep Summer? This kind of car is what makes those "summer holiday
dreams" happen!
Old 17th December 2014, 09:33   #12
Senior - BHPian

On a sidenote,Audi might be looking towards launching an A6 with the same 1.8TFsi engine,according to one which was imported recently.Might make for a VFM mid-luxury sedan.
Attached Thumbnails
Audi launches the A3 Cabriolet at 44.75 Lakhs-audi.jpg  

Old 17th December 2014, 20:06   #13
Team-BHP Support

When you consider that the only other convertible available around that price-point is the Mini Cooper Convertible (about 40 lakhs on the road), the A3 Cabrio isn't that bad a deal, really. Also, do consider that the top-of-the-line A3 TFSI costs nearly 40 lakhs on the road in Bangalore, the A3 Cabrio @ 45 ex-showroom is not too bad.

Personally, I'd never get myself a 2+2 Convertible, but the A3 Cabrio is perfect for those who want fun open-top motoring without having to spend 1 Crore. The Z4 and SLK are the only other convertibles under 1 Crore and both these cars will be a good 30-40 lakhs more than the A3 Cabrio, I'd reckon.
Old 18th December 2014, 08:57   #14
Senior - BHPian

I see the advertisement for the A3 Cabriolet multiple times each day in the movies channel. They are blowing a lot of money on it.

I would pick the hardtop over this any day. Not just because of our climatic conditions, but I think the former is a lot cooler.

PS: Nice website to know the weather outside though! I think Audi should show the car with the top up for Summer too over here.

Last edited by deetjohn : 18th December 2014 at 08:59. Reason: adding text.
Old 18th December 2014, 11:59   #15
Team-BHP Support

Overpriced. This should have been about 4-5l more than the A3 Technology. This will go well above 50 on road, which makes it far too expensive for what it offers. The 330d was launched at a slightly higher price but gave a proper engine, and was probably more spacious than this too. I think my main grouse with this is that they stuck with the 1.8 at this price.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks