Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2014, 14:45   #1
Team-BHP Support

Maruti Suzuki recalls 3796 units of Ciaz to fix faulty clutch

Maruti Suzuki, India's largest carmaker in terms of sales, has recalled the Ciaz sedan to inspect and replace the relevant part of clutch operation system. This recall is pertinent to 3,796 units of the Ciaz (manual transmission) manufactured till November 7, 2014.

Maruti claims that its dealers have started contacting the owners of the affected vehicles. The inspection and replacement of the part will be carried out free of cost.

Additionally, owners can log on to the manufacturer's website and ascertain if their vehicles are in the list of recalled vehicles. Owners need to enter their car's chassis number (MA3 followed by 14 digit alpha-numeric number) in the provided field.

Alternately, owners can visit the nearest Maruti Suzuki dealer workshop to ascertain the same.

A source who prefers to remain anonymous shares the following information:

The recall is for both petrol and diesel Ciaz. The clutch was facing problems. In a few cases, the clutch had become totally spongy due to air getting into the system. The master cylinder is being changed in this recall. In fact, this issue was there since the beginning and deliveries had been put on hold, both at the factory and dealerships. Engineers and service technicians were checking and replacing the required parts. Other than this, an injector bush too was changed with rings without making it public.

Last edited by Aditya : 1st December 2014 at 14:48.
Aditya is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 1st December 2014, 15:23   #2
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki recalls 3796 units of Ciaz to fix faulty clutch

Now I understood, why there were delays in the Ciaz deliveries, despite the huge inventory/stock MSIL created even before the official launch. Now since the problem is known, I hope MSIL can manufacture more Ciaz to cater to strong demand.
Between, it is sad to see so many recalls by MSIL in last one year. Sure, this is setback to their 'Being-Reliable' tag in India.
Aficionados is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2014, 15:59   #3
i10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aficionados View Post
Between, it is sad to see so many recalls by MSIL in last one year. Sure, this is setback to their 'Being-Reliable' tag in India.
At least they are 'being responsible' and not denying or silencing the issue unlike some other global 'giants'
i10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st December 2014, 17:21   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

The works managers across Bangalore had a quick meeting today facilitated by MSIL and the suspect seems to be Clutch Master Cylinder at this stage.

Hence they are recalling the affected cars to diagnose and replace the Clutch master cylinder.

A known source to me informed that this was a quick meeting followed by the recall communication after few customers have reported issues with clutch operation.

Last edited by paragsachania : 1st December 2014 at 17:22.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2014, 20:47   #5
BHPian

It is good to see Maruti going for a recall instead of replacing the defective parts silently. The recall number indicates that more than half the delivered vehicles are having problem.

It might be a slight set back for Maruti. But these type of issues can be expected in new model and should settle down in next few months.
AshBabu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2014, 22:46   #6
BHPian

Read this article here http://autoportal.com/news/marutis-s...mbly-2593.html

Interestingly, Maruti is calling it a Service Campaign :P
vikast_ap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2014, 23:40   #7
BHPian

Maruti uses a new euphemism for this recall, a service campaign. When I read the press release from the company I was baffled to see the word service campaign. This after the recent statements by company management on how mandatory airbags can lead to more people buying two wheelers makes it worse for Maruti's brand image. Maruti is among the most profitable auto maker in the country with very few models passing a ncap crash test.
Old 2nd December 2014, 20:52   #8
BHPian

Maruti Suzuki Recalls 3,800 Ciaz Sedans

This wasn't expected for such a new launch. It is another bad news for Maruti whose Ciaz sales were overtook by City recently

http://profit.ndtv.com/news/corporat...-clutch-706584
Old 3rd December 2014, 09:29   #9

I think it is always better to correct your mistakes yourself, rather than to wait for other to point out, make hue and cry and get court orders to get the same. Of late we have seen many car companies recalling their vehicles for one defect or the other in overseas market, but the same was not implemented here! keeping that in perspective, its for Maruti.
Old 3rd December 2014, 09:42   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
an injector bush too was changed with rings without making it public.
Can someone confirm this? or is that already witnessed by any members / known source here? This is something many OEMs practice, calling the vehicle for problem 'X' and apply a fix for problem 'Y' without any information.

I suggest for any recall campaign, stay with the vehicle, understand what is being done on the vehicle. The same is applicable during regular service aswell (sadly most of the dealers don't allow customers near the service bay)
Old 4th December 2014, 09:24   #11

So far so good ! Maruti recalls for service, repair/replace the component and everyone go home happy. But, the question is how would we be sure that the actual job has been carried out by the dealer/ASS ! is there a way to find out ?
Old 4th December 2014, 11:43   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajuputana View Post
So far so good ! Maruti recalls for service, repair/replace the component and everyone go home happy. But, the question is how would we be sure that the actual job has been carried out by the dealer/ASS ! is there a way to find out ?
All I can say is, Faith on the the MASS and the SA you deal with.

I don't know if MASS will give the defective part to the customer. During regular services, old / changed parts are handed over to the customer when the service is done. Recall oriented parts are sent for R&D I guess. May be the customer can demand to see the defective part after the service is done.

Anurag.
Old 4th December 2014, 11:50   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Nothing to be suspicious. The Clutch Master Cylinder will be replaced for all the affected/recalled CIAZs as per MSIL directive. In the end the Recall and replacement report is sent by each ASC under which particular number of cars were sold.

Just yesterday when I was at the ASC in Bangalore, one of their customers due to this replacement under recall was 184 kms away (Hassan Town) and this ASC checked from their inventory system that the part was not in stock at the only dealer in Hassan.

So what does this Bangalore ASC do?

They courier this part to Hassan after talking to the ASC in Hassan who agree to receive the part and fit it for this customer's Ciaz.

Removing the Cylinder,refitting the new one and bleeding - It's a mere 15 to 20 minute task.

All this happening right in front of me. If it was going beyond limits for the ASC, its customer delight for the owner!!(Build,Safety???)

And yes,MSIL follows up with each ASC on the replacement on daily basis as there is a target set for each ASC based on no of CIAZs sold.

They (MSIL) sit on the ASC's head and ensure replacement is carried out without fail.

Last edited by paragsachania : 4th December 2014 at 11:58.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2014, 12:00   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

Removing the Cylinder,refitting the new one and bleeding - It's a mere 15 to 20 minute task.
Removing and refitting Master cylinder takes anything between 2 to 3 hours. For Slave cylinder, half-an-hour may be sufficient.

Add to that the time taken for bleeding.

Just my two-cents.
lejhoom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2014, 12:23   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lejhoom View Post
Removing and refitting Master cylinder takes anything between 2 to 3 hours. For Slave cylinder, half-an-hour may be sufficient.

Add to that the time taken for bleeding.

Just my two-cents.
As I heard the Manager direct the other ASC. And yes, he kept referring CMC (Clutch Master Cylinder) so indeed its the master cylinder in question.

Bleeding is a complementary task to complete the task.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks