Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2014, 23:52   #16
BHPian

re: Fiat India's revenues grow 88% in FY 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
I feel they just need to stop marketing under the "FIAT" marquee and launch their new cars under Dodge and Chrysler. Fiat has such a bad reputation thanks to their history with PAL and later the fiasco with Tata that their name is not salvageable. I wonder what stops them.
IMO Fiat as brand name is much better than Dodge or Chrysler. Us Indian can easily associate with the brand, as most of us in our childhood days rode a Fiat. Plus, the Italian marquee is always much more charming than the heartless Yanks.

I don't think the sales figures for the Punto / Linea are going to shoot up even if Fiat decided to sell them as Ferraris
Old 22nd November 2014, 02:55   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVPal View Post
And we all know that the 1.3 L multijet is underpowered for the relatively heavier Fiat cars. So both the petrol and diesel have to improve significantly.
The heaviest in the range is the Avventura and the little 1.3 manages to extract a 13.6 second run to the 100 kmph mark. I wouldn't call it under-powered. What was lacking in earlier versions was the tuning which felt a lot better under the good of a Maruti Suzuki. I felt the Avventura better in this regard.

That said- I agree with your post. The 1.4 FIRE NA petrol should be withdrawn and TJet made mainstream. And the C sedan segment demands higher displacement engines now, even if the 1.3 can manage to match the figures posted by the bigger diesels. It's high time they introduced a 1.5 / 1.6 diesel to the market.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2014, 08:02   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The heaviest in the range is the Avventura and the little 1.3 manages to extract a 13.6 second run to the 100 kmph mark. I wouldn't call it under-powered. What was lacking in earlier versions was the tuning which felt a lot better under the good of a Maruti Suzuki. I felt the Avventura better in this regard.

That said- I agree with your post. The 1.4 FIRE NA petrol should be withdrawn and TJet made mainstream. And the C sedan segment demands higher displacement engines now, even if the 1.3 can manage to match the figures posted by the bigger diesels. It's high time they introduced a 1.5 / 1.6 diesel to the market.
The Avventura is available in the 90 ps tune. I was referring to the more widely used 75 ps when it comes to the Evo (will come back to the Avventura at the end).

I see from your post that we agree on the more more general point I was trying to make: if one looks at the overall picture, ironically, a very high percentage of the comments on Fiat cars are concerned with their engines. Generally the cars are called sluggish, be it in the Linea or the Punto, or having significant turbo lag on the 90 ps tunes (the Avventura is admittedly better tuned as per reviews). This is incongruous as Fiat is more a engine company in India, given its revenues come largely from engine sales.

The second and third concerns are with ASS, and with the gear box.
At least two of these problems are largely technical in nature and can be (actually should have been by now) addressed by a company like Fiat, for establishing themselves as a car company.

Coming back to the point you made about the 1.3 L multijet on the Avventura: Having done it for the Avventura, what has stopped Fiat from introducing the same tune on the Punto Evo and Linea? I understand that the gear ratios have also changed. Do they not realize that adapting these changes to the other two cars would have an impact on the only major technical issues that their cars get criticized about? This would also buy them time in the next three years to come up with bigger and more powerful 1.5L. Hope they also have something up their sleeve when it comes to a good petrol engine, apart from the T-jet.
Old 22nd November 2014, 08:21   #19
Senior - BHPian

I had only two reasons for not going for a punto evo diesel
1.Poor resale value(year old punto were going for not more than 3.5L). I suggested my colleague to look for one when he was searching for a used car to replace his santro, most of the cars didn't find any takers even for months, felt sorry for the owners. Oh and my colleague settled for a well maintained honda city for around 3.2L
2.Performance

If fiat comes up with some buyback offers I can see few people opting for them, yes fiat will lose money this way, but on the long run they can make more money. Second thing which confuses me is that they introduce cars with decent price then offer HUGE discounts to the customer from the on-road price, instead why can't they introduce it at the discounted price, it will help in reducing the tax and other extra stuff we pay for the car. I don't have much knowledge on this pricing thing so please excuse me if I am wrong.
giri1.8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2014, 08:41   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVPal View Post
Coming back to the point you made about the 1.3 L multijet on the Avventura: Having done it for the Avventura, what has stopped Fiat from introducing the same tune on the Punto Evo and Linea?
Punto Evo is available with 90ps. Linea already has 90ps I think.

Not sure of the new Linea but on the Evo I felt the gearing was different and better than the GP.
Old 22nd November 2014, 08:45   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Punto Evo is available with 90ps. Linea already has 90ps I think.

Not sure of the new Linea but on the Evo I felt the gearing was different and better than the GP.
I was referring to the changes made in the Avventura 90 ps being applied to the Evo and Linea 90 ps. I am pretty sure that the (better) engine tune on the Avventura has not been made available on the Evo and Linea 90 ps. Correct me if I am wrong.

Also, I think the gear ratios are unchanged compared to the Avventura.
Old 22nd November 2014, 08:51   #22
J.Ravi

When the new-comers have bagged the top ranks in the sales chart, the old veteran is still in the limp mode at the bottom of the ladder, notwithstanding the fact that some of the top-rankers get the hearts for their products from the healthy, physically-fit, old veteran.

Quote:
It sold 11,980 cars in FY14, 87% more than in FY13, at the end of FY14.
So, parting ways from Tata Motors for marketing, sales and service has really helped FIAT India to improve their financial health. Hope, FIAT India recovers completely in the coming years and successfully competes with the youngsters in sharing the top honours.
  (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2014, 14:49   #23
BHPian

This is great news and they have a neat product portfolio in the form of the new Puntos. Just keep up with the good service and spares now.
Old 22nd November 2014, 15:14   #24
BHPian

The thread title is misleading. It seems to suggest that there is a relation between the significant growth in revenue and the split. However the figures quoted by other members do indicate that much of the revenue is in fact coming from the engine sale and that significant growth in revenue would have been achieved even without the split.
searacer932 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2014, 19:04   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
As expected, it's the engine business that's bringing in the $$$$.
FIAT India also exports a lot of Engine components and Gears especially to FIAT Brazil and Argentina. These items are sourced from Fiat India plant as well as from vendors.

FIAT business is definitely growing because they have shared a major ramp up plan with their parts vendors.
drive_factor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2014, 01:21   #26
BHPian

Could be am going off-topic here, but why do we have to bring Tata Motors in the picture.

We could also say "Fiat's revenue grow 88% after re-entering indian market solo".

Tata had no role to play in Fiat's bad fortunes. As a matter of fact, Tata has improved its service and sales operations in the last 3 years and just the same time Fiat decided to part ways.

There were surely some Pros for Fiat because of which they initially decided to join hands with Tata.
gauravdgr8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2014, 11:07   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
The thread title is misleading. It seems to suggest that there is a relation between the significant growth in revenue and the split. However the figures quoted by other members do indicate that much of the revenue is in fact coming from the engine sale and that significant growth in revenue would have been achieved even without the split.
IMO, there appears to be some ground in what Searacer932 has pointed out. Since most of the revenue is due to engine sales, and not due to cars, it is apparent that this increase in revenue has a lot more to do with the sales of diesel cars increasing over the three years 2011-14, a period of high fuel prices and diesel subsidy, with 2014-15 seeing the balance getting restored a bit towards petrol cars.

The fact that this increase in diesel engines has set in about the time of the split with the Tata's appears to be largely a coincidence, as far as the impact on Fiat revenues is concerned. So while the Title of the thread is factual, it may be read misleadingly depending on the reader's background/mindset.

Last edited by PVPal : 23rd November 2014 at 11:09.
Old 23rd November 2014, 11:26   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Additionally, the company is likely to launch the Jeep Wrangler and Cherokee in 2015.

And there will be takers as there is nothing much in 30-60L price band. For more, please read http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...e-bracket.html
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2014, 12:09   #29
BHPian

It is only a matter of time Maruti learns the trick and starts making their own diesel engines, wonder how FIAT India is planning for such a scenario.

Was happy when they split from TATA , especially in the TATA showrooms, FIAT cars were not exactly their priority.

Its HIGH time they expand their line up , the aventura is a good car, but seriously, Linea even after the facelift still seems an old design, they need to refresh their line up, have been reading of their plans for the 500 but again it will most likely be positioned very premium here. Their MPV Doblo has been spotted road testing here , remains to be seen how they will position it (may be in the same league as Renault Lodgy ?)

Wonder if they could atleast launch the Ottimo, Viaggio and the Freemont in India in parallel with their chrysler and Jeep offerings. Just a wishlist.

The Ottimo, Viaggio and Freemont are also sold in China. Some pictures ( courtesy FIAT China website)
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat India's revenues grow 88% in FY 2014-viaggio.jpg  

Fiat India's revenues grow 88% in FY 2014-ottimo.jpg  

Fiat India's revenues grow 88% in FY 2014-freemont.jpg  

Fiat India's revenues grow 88% in FY 2014-freemont_rear.jpg  

The Observer is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th November 2014, 10:58   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Whatever way you look at it, ~3000 crores of that revenue is coming from engines (majorly), engine licencing fee (mainly Maruti), spare parts (small component) and other businesses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Even if MSIL deal ends after a few years, MSIL will still be using AMT gear boxes which are made by Magneti Marelli, a Fiat company! So, somewhere or other, Fiat is changing the way India drives!

Actually, this could be Fiat's biggest catchline! We help India drive!
I don't think the royalty payments from Suzuki are made to Fiat India. The agreement is with the parent - Fiat SPA, Italy. Fiat India has a deal to supply 100K engines per year to Maruti (deal made last year when diesel vehicle demand went through the roof) and that is the only revenue they get from MSIL.

Magneti Marelli is again a completely independant company and their sales will not be reported under Fiat India.

Having said that, the majority of their revenue does come from engines no doubt. As long as the money flows, more money will be invested, which is a good thing. Fiat India does have big plans, but nothing immediate and that's the problem. The Punto & Linea will continue till 2016 atleast (with some new engine options probably )

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 24th November 2014 at 11:00.
fiat_tarun is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks