Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2014, 21:34   #31
BHPian

Re: 2014, a watershed year - 3 iconic Indian cars laid to rest

Sad to see the Ambassador go. As someone pointed out Kolkata streets will never be the same. Now we will be having the Dzires and the Indigos like any other city. Heard Fiat is also in the race with a stripped down Linea as taxi for Kolkata.

HM should have improved the Ambassador and am sure there would have been many takers.
saion666 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2014, 00:54   #32
Senior - BHPian

As I have mentioned somewhere else in this forum, on days of Taxi strike in Kolkata, the average speed of all other cars increases by 10-15 kmph.
The Amby diesel taxis are ill maintained lumbering beasts that would muscle their way in front of you in dense traffic, and then would be unable to pull away swiftly after the light turns green stalling the entire traffic flow. Another culprit of same nature are the NA Indica cabs.
I would be really happy to see these beasts being disposed off in cash-for-clunkers style.

Also - I think maruti omni should stop selling immediately.
I see a lot of new omni on road now a days - thankfully most of them are the delivery van variant.
Old 24th November 2014, 22:28   #33
BHPian

The journey of a thousand miles starts with a small step.
After reading the newly published book by Gautam Sen, I got a chance to appreciate the unimaginable ordeals that the Maruti 800 went through before emerging as the SS 80. When compared to all cars produced in India at that time (with the exceptkon of the 118NE and Contessa) the 800 was like a whiff of fresh air! It set the benchmark for reliabile motoring for Indians and even in the late 1990‘s when I was in school, the average kid would only know of one car and that was the Maruti 800. Yes it was not safe, but it was dependable and economical- which is what Indians wanted out of a car.
Today there are so many choices available that we tend to overlook where it all started. The best way to learn about the future is to remember the past while appreciating the present.
Old 25th November 2014, 06:25   #34
Senior - BHPian

I don't know. The VW polo looks from the outside like an early model maruti 800 with the boxy construction and has a superb engine, all the bells and whistles like climate control etc

If the santro were to be given at least all 4 power windows, a more modern engine etc I would actually have bought one.
Old 27th November 2014, 16:30   #35
BHPian

My two cents..

Ambassador IMO will be the most missed among three. Spring filled cushioned seat is something I believe many will miss. I still remember when we have to travel with new born some 8 years ago and roads are really bad, we opted for Ambassador amongs available choices. Its comfortable back seat did job really well providing great comfort while travel and that is something I haven't came across in many modern car. Also its rock solid body made it vehicle for all Govt officials.

I still remember how car means Maruti 800 in my childhood days. While many vouch for its quality in early days, I would say it started a revolution like car for common man.

While I'm on the opinion that car should come with all safety features and these cars may not find place in that segment, I would agree with point that these cars will have historical values and they'll continue to possess that. I'm sure someday they'll find their place in museum.

Regards
SE
Old 27th November 2014, 18:13   #36
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

The M800 deserves the praise, its the car that put reliable motoring available to the consumer when the Amby made you a fortnightly visitor to the local mechanic, either to fix something that didn't work or something that was about to give up.

The Santro was another good car that made Hyundai a recognized brand, but today a Santro in the lineup will not be a good idea, makes it difficult for the brand to move up the segment ladder. I know someone whose last(third in total) purchase wasn't so good, rusting and damaged beadings, quality had taken a hit towards the end.

The Amby is one car I am glad is no longer seen at most places, in fact I don't remember seeing it at any of the functions I have been to recently. A car synonymous with the permit economy and crony capitalism where buyers were coralled into buying branded scrap metal, it should have been dumped ages ago, glad it finally happened.
Old 1st December 2014, 20:31   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

A tribute to the great cars from rediffnews. Also featured with the three icons are the Ford Figo and the Chevrolet Spark, which are also expected to stop rolling off the asssembly lines quite soon.

http://www.rediff.com/business/repor...s/20141201.htm
Old 3rd December 2014, 23:21   #38
BHPian

Got this in my what's up. First time I am seeing this ad.
Attached Thumbnails
2014, a watershed year - 3 iconic Indian cars laid to rest-1417628915040.jpg  

2014, a watershed year - 3 iconic Indian cars laid to rest-1417628946555.jpg  

kavu75 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks