Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2014, 07:50   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

*Rumour* - GM likely to end Spark production

Cheverolet Spark is nearing its end of its life cycle and GM is expected to end production of the Spark in December.

Quote:
GM has sold over 1,65,000 units of the Spark in seven years since taking over the car portfolio of Daewoo.
GM India vice-president P Balendran said the company hasn't made a decision yet.
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/44953758.cms
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 08:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: *Rumour* - GM likely to end Spark production

Really feel sad for this car, GM may better wind up their operations in India rather than taking such decisions. This is one car which probably sold more in numbers for GM and was never a source of complaint for its users, GM never wanted to give a proper facelift to this beauty and were hell bent on not providing a proper speedo console/MID and always maintaining the console at the center of dashboard. I have been following the attitude of Sales people at Chevrolet showroom for quite some time, there always was a push to opt for Beat rather than Spark.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 09:01   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Really feel sad for this car, GM may better wind up their operations in India rather than taking such decisions. This is one car which probably sold more in numbers for GM and was never a source of complaint for its users, GM never wanted to give a proper facelift to this beauty and were hell bent on not providing a proper speedo console/MID and always maintaining the console at the center of dashboard. I have been following the attitude of Sales people at Chevrolet showroom for quite some time, there always was a push to opt for Beat rather than Spark.
Sorry, but this is just an emotional reaction.

The Spark (M200) presently sold in our market was introduced internationally in 2003. It's already 11 years old. Moreover, the M200 was more of a refresh on the 1997 original rather than being an 'all-new' platform and that makes it a very dated product. GM gave a proper facelift to this beauty in 2007. It was called the Spark M300 or the Chevrolet Beat in our market. GM just continued selling two generations of products together. That's all. Beat was always supposed to be 'pushed' because it should have replaced the Spark anyways.

Now emotions aside- Spark was a better product for our market compared to the Beat. It was spacious, airy, had predictable driving mannerisms and was easy to drive thanks to the huge glass area and small dimensions. The quality levels inside were much better compared to the equivalent competition at that time.

In comparison, Beat was supposed to be an international product and ended up with a compromised backseat, boot space and limited frontal visibility- all for better styling. GM has also failed to give regular updates to its cars, so both these cars are not setting the charts on fire anymore.

I hope Chevrolet prices the Beat further down the ladder once the Spark is discontinued.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 10:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

I have owned both Spark and Beat in the past and can judge why Beat is a flop. Spark LPG was my first car, I was a GM fan when I owned it for 2 years. My mindset about GM cars when I had to sell off Beat Diesel within 6 months due to worst ergonomics and lackluster performance. The Sail cousins and Enjoy are there for just namesake. Spark managed decent numbers every month till Beat Diesel was launched, thereon there was never a serious attempt to refresh the car. GM really does not have any quality product to offer apart from Cruze in their current lineup.
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 11:03   #5
BHPian

GM must bring the Sonic to India, which is a proper sedan / hatch combo that sits above the Beat in many international markets.

They must position the Enjoy a bit lower and bring in the Spin MPV as well, which is a proper rival to Ertiga, Mobilio and the upcoming Lodgy.

Last edited by GTO : 28th October 2014 at 16:13. Reason: Typo
performance plumbing is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 12:12   #6
BHPian

Age old Tavera is raking up the highest numbers for GM. That just sums up the position of GM in Indian market. Brand needs a total overhaul.
rahul412 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 12:37   #7
BHPian

I think GM missed an awesome opportunity after launching the Cruze and Beat. They had established a brand with fresh, modern and edgy looking vehicles with good diesel engines.

They should have followed it up my launching the sonic twins. Instead they went with the Sail twins. This pretty much sealed their fate. Sail, albeit a good product, did not match the direction that GM India was heading.

Spark is a very old product and should be rested now. They should bring in some fresh cars or pack up from India.

Being a chevy owner myself, this is very sad for me to see.
rangakishen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 12:45   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul412 View Post
Age old Tavera is raking up the highest numbers for GM. That just sums up the position of GM in Indian market. Brand needs a total overhaul.
+1 to that.
Despite the massive recall Tavera had, it is still surprising to see the way it sells.

Cruze was a looker in Ver.1. Now, the updated Cruze is another failure in the making with a mix match of many Hyundais and Renaults in one place.
  • Sail twins have been major disasters.
  • Beat is languishing in the bottom of the chart
  • Spark is to rest.
  • Captiva.Where? Is that in their business plan?
  • Tavera- Only Solace
  • Cruze. Recipe for disaster.

Where is GM going? Drains??
arnabchak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 13:06   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Today's ET has a news of Chevy Spark and Hyundai Santro, both going towards end of production by December.
Old 28th October 2014, 13:35   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Today's ET has a news of Chevy Spark and Hyundai Santro, both going towards end of production by December.
Sad! Even today the Santro & Spark are the most "easiest to drive" city cars followed closely by the 1st gen i10.
Old 28th October 2014, 17:47   #11
BHPian

Re: *Rumour* - GM likely to end Spark production

Not only Spark, Santro is also going to discontinue. Santro was the only car that rattled the monopoly of Maruti 800. But, the decision to stop the Santro can be understood as Hyundai wants to push Eon, Grandi10 and i10 sales.
Not clear about the Chevy though. Why would they stop the production whn their potfolio is already very limited?
Old 29th October 2014, 11:47   #12
Senior - BHPian

Saw a "For Regn" grey Spark last weekend at Kerala. I was thinking that they already discontinued it, till I saw this new one.
Old 29th October 2014, 21:04   #13
D4D
BHPian

Good move by Hyundai.
The Santro (and Accent) was simply a legend when they were trying to get market share in the late 90's and 2000's.
This move gives Hyundai the room to push i10 lower and Position the Grand i10 a full segment above. Will not be surprised if i10(old) gets a significant (or massive) price cut.

Regarding GM's move, I'm not convinced as they are already struggling in the Indian market. The spark gave GM a presence in the hatch segment and volumes began to flow. Although slightly older than competition, it offered good space, value and was low on maintenance. Does GM have plans to push the beat down and get a new hatch?
Old 29th October 2014, 23:29   #14
Senior - BHPian

I can understand Maruti or Hyundai discontinuing a model since they need to free up assembly line for another hot cake.

When GM has more assembly lines than the number of cars they sell, why would they stop producing models?

They have enough idle capacity based on the sales numbers and hence there is no reason to stop a model for increasing production of another model. So it is most probably a case of the current dyes being worn out and they don't see any reason to make a new one.

May be they'll decrease the price of the Beat after this to see if that might help the Beat sales. Ideally Beat should be priced at the same price as current Spark since that is the successor model.
Old 29th October 2014, 23:38   #15
Senior - BHPian

GM is reluctant to bring their NA lineup (read Sonic) here. They are content with launching rebadged SAIC models.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks