Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2014, 12:02   #61

Re: Scoop! 2014 Toyota Etios & Liva get some updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Well, a nice scoop in the first place!

But, I wonder what is avoiding Toyota to have the instrument console at its correct place, i.e. behind steering.
I am not sure if it's about the placement as much as the look and feel of the console itself.

The real problem with the Etios is that it drives and ages well, is ridiculously cheap to own and maintain one. So, it makes itself a serious contender for someone with a sub-10 lakh budget. And then, you know, it's that much more difficult to sell a marginally higher EMI for a reasonably better car to a nagging spouse!
Old 14th October 2014, 23:40   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Because this is a car which feels cheap but costs big. The other ones don't!

If you do a comparison with Swift, this car looks outright cheap but charged a premium with lesser features. When I TDed a diesel Liva, the car was no where close to Swift; except "space" - I would easily pay a premium for the Swift.
Only thing I add here is that when I hire a taxi, I dont want a DZire but specifically ask for an Etios because of the space and boot space. Looks are subjective but I believe an Etios looks way better and a size bigger than DZire
Old 15th October 2014, 10:49   #63
Team-BHP Support

Toyota Kirloskar Motor has announced the launch of the facelifted Etios and Liva.

The Etios is available in the price range of Rs. 5,74,081 and Rs.7,06,567 (petrol) and Rs. 6,84,081 and Rs. 8,16,567 (diesel), ex-showroom Delhi.

The Etios Liva is available in the price range of Rs. 4,76,142 and Rs. 6,57,105 (petrol) and Rs. 5,94,642 and Rs. 6,95,460 (diesel), ex-showroom Delhi.

Link to Team-BHP News Article
Aditya is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 15th October 2014, 11:56   #64
BHPian

Any news about the sportivo version for LIVA? (1.5 petrol version)
Balaji31582 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2014, 12:23   #65
BHPian

The Etios website has been updated with the face lift model details, but surprisingly the Liva website is yet to be updated. Didn't expect this from Toyota. Manufacturer's Like Tata and Mahindra had their websites updated with complete details along with prices within minutes of launching their new model namely Zest and Scorpio.

And on the Etios Website they are proudly displaying "From the makers of the world's No. 1 Sedan" and "Manufactured on the same assembly line as the Toyota Corolla Altis" Are they trying to woo customers for the Etios or driving away Corolla Altis Customers
MadAbtCars is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2014, 14:21   #66
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by isiv View Post
So why the Toyota bashing? Others have their (severe) problems too.
Exactly my point! When Tata could improve, what stops Toyota? When Hyundai can produce good looking cars after their Verna/Sonata disasters, why cannot Etios duo improve? Etios duo are reliable, have good petrol and not-so-bad diesel engines and both score well on VITAL benchmarks like Ride+Handling, build quality etc. And then the biggest positive for them is the less cost of maintenance - forget VW, even Hyundais are expensive to maintain than Toyotas.
Come on Toyota - If Hyundai can make an ugly car (1st gen Verna) and "upgrade" it to make the ugliest duckling of the decade (Verna Transform) and finally learning from their mistakes they came up with Fluidic Verna then what stops you from transforming the Etios / Liva?
Zinda is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th October 2014, 19:52   #67
BHPian

Scoop! 2014 Toyota Etios & Liva get some updates

Any particular reason the Etios or liva is not offered in AT or CVT transmission ?
I keep reading that Toyota are very reliable but really don't like that there is no AT option south of 10L.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP

Last edited by raksrules : 15th October 2014 at 19:53.
raksrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2014, 22:31   #68
BHPian

I keep waiting for the centre console to move back to the normal position like in most cars. Else it has a cab kind of look. I hope this would also bring in more sales as I keep hearing the same kind of message from few of my other friends.
Old 16th October 2014, 12:11   #69
BHPian

I just talked someone out of buying the Liva ONLY due to the dashboard layout. After all these years it still has not grown on me and the weighing machine like layout and font for the dials along with the vertically stacked AC vents just kills this car for me
fash_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2014, 14:10   #70
RSR
Senior - BHPian

I was never a fan of the Etios twins, because of the glaring levels of cost-cutting done by Toyota (and not because of the weird dashboard design), which sadly did not get reflected in their price tags. The successive facelifts have indeed resulted in quite a few improvements. Much of the glaring cost-cutting still remains very obvious though, and I'm still not a fan of this Toyota duo.

However, one must give credit to Toyota where it is due. For this facelift, they deserve applause for making 2 airbags available as standard across the range, even on the barebones base model. One can always add stuff like alloys, music system, fog lamps, keyless entry, power windows etc. as aftermarket accessories (even at the dealership itself) and they would function well. Safety features like airbags (and ABS) simply cannot be added as accessories. So it's important to offer these as standard features, at least the airbags.

So one must give credit to both Toyota and Volkswagen! VW were the first to start this very welcome trend, and Toyota have now done something similar. I hope all other manufacturers take a cue from these two, and begin offering at least 2 airbags as standard features.

Last edited by RSR : 16th October 2014 at 14:13.
RSR is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th October 2014, 22:11   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
However, one must give credit to Toyota where it is due. For this facelift, they deserve applause for making 2 airbags available as standard across the range, even on the barebones base model. One can always add stuff like alloys, music system, fog lamps, keyless entry, power windows etc. as aftermarket accessories (even at the dealership itself) and they would function well. Safety features like airbags (and ABS) simply cannot be added as accessories. So it's important to offer these as standard features, at least the airbags.

So one must give credit to both Toyota and Volkswagen! VW were the first to start this very welcome trend, and Toyota have now done something similar. I hope all other manufacturers take a cue from these two, and begin offering at least 2 airbags as standard features.
Fully agree, Maruti, Honda and Hyundai especially should learn from this, according me this is a "responsible and sensible" act from Toyota, my respect for them went one notch further up.

The Liva also gets ABS with EBD as standard across all diesel variants.

Never found the Etios and Liva's looks attractive atleast to my tastes, but that aside the car (esp Etios) has a reputation for being practical and spacious and has quietly captured some hearts and they are so loyal to it - that is something amazing, atleast 2 people i know who have owned swift+Logan+Dzire have moved to Etios and are so happy with the Etios that it is now their favorite drive.

Attached the safety features spread across Etios variants, new look Etios ( both pics and feature info from Toyota Bharat website)
Attached Images

The Observer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2014, 02:18   #72
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Observer View Post
Fully agree, Maruti, Honda and Hyundai especially should learn from this, according me this is a "responsible and sensible" act from Toyota, my respect for them went one notch further up.
It's a responsible and sensible act indeed!

It must be a reflection of the horrible state of affairs in our country, that we still have plenty of car variants which do not come equipped with even a single airbag and yet are on sale right now - and some of these vehicles cost a million rupees or more ex-showroom.

Quote:
The Liva also gets ABS with EBD as standard across all diesel variants.

Attached the safety features spread across Etios variants, new look Etios ( both pics and feature info from Toyota Bharat website)
That's very surprising! So the Liva diesel has ABS (with EBD) as a standard feature across the range, but the more expensive Etios diesel gets it only on the VD and VXD variants?

Or is it because of an error on the website?

Last edited by RSR : 17th October 2014 at 02:22.
Old 17th October 2014, 09:37   #73
Team-BHP Support

Wow this is a great addition dual airbags on all variants. India will probably few of the countries that will have taxi's with dual airbags!!!

Taxi drivers may not appreciate this much due to additional cost if they have an accident but they should be thankful.

Is there a price comparison of the old vs new that we can see?
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2014, 11:41   #74
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Taxi drivers may not appreciate this much due to additional cost if they have an accident but they should be thankful.
The manner in which a majority of taxis are driven, it's the hapless passengers who should be more thankful to Toyota! At least, in cases where they are hiring a taxi to be used by more than two passengers, and (at least) the front passenger has enough common sense to wear his/her seatbelt.

It can be a hairy experience sitting at the front of such rashly driven taxis, wondering when one's face is going to end up in the dashboard/windscreen and being the unwitting recipient of curses being hurled by other road users. The back seat (generally the left one) is a somewhat safer place to be (relatively speaking) if one or two persons are using a taxi driven by such a maniac.

There is another small issue that the public/pre-owned car buyers need to be aware of. Even if a taxi/vehicle for sale is equipped with airbag(s) when it is new, it doesn't always mean it will remain equipped with airbag(s)!

I've heard it straight from the horse's mouth. A "friendly neighbourhood garage" person recently told me of how they get accident damaged vehicles repaired/restored to "top condition". In case the airbags have deployed, they are usually not replaced at all. Instead, the system is "dummied" and the repaired vehicle doesn't have functional airbag(s). They also find a way to disable the airbag warning light on the instrument cluster. So even if one finds a new dashboard with the prominent words AIRBAG/SRS AIRBAG/SRP AIRBAG and the airbag light remaining off, the vehicle may not have functional airbags at all!

While this may generally be applicable to taxis which get repaired at such cheap/ill-equipped/shady FNGs, the guy told me of how they managed to do this recently with a privately owned Volkswagen Polo Highline on which the airbags had deployed. Being a car manufactured by a German company, the electric/electronic systems gave them more than the usual headache, it seems. But he was proud of the fact that they somehow managed to "sort it out" in the end.

It was not a pleasant thing to listen to at all, but very enlightening nevertheless.

Last edited by RSR : 17th October 2014 at 12:00.
RSR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th October 2014, 10:09   #75
Senior - BHPian

Finally, the auto scene in India is improving from the safety angle. Till a couple of years back, it was the D segment and above where you could find the ABS and airbags as standard feature. Now, it is slowly coming down to C2, C1 and B2 segments too, though the market leaders like Maruti and Hyundai are yet to adopt the same on their own.

Now that Toyota has done it across the board, it won't be long before Honda follows suit for the Brio/Amaze/Mobilio segment. I hope Fiat follows this route soon since they have one of the strongest shells and are among the safest cars in the segment. It is a pity they don't offer safety kit across the range after all the efforts they've done to improve safety of their cars.

Once most manufacturers have adopted this, there would be pressure on SIAM and ARAI to adopt the crash test results for Indian cars and that would ensure Maruti and Hyundai reluctantly adopting airbags across the range to avoid bad press.

It is still a couple of years away but there is still hope.

That said, I'm disappointed that Toyota is not providing ABS across the range even after all this drama about adopting safety as their new motto and blah-blah. It looks like they've adopted Volkswagen as their role model, who did exactly the same thing in Polo!
zenren is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks