Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2015, 18:13   #346
BHPian

Re: Hyundai ix25 Compact SUV caught testing in India. EDIT: Named the Creta

Exclude the case of Skoda Laura due to its meaning for the word in Hinterlands of India, I don't see naming CRETA would dampen the sale of this upcoming SUV if it is priced well and strike a right chord with prospective buyers with its ride and handling. Features will be of course segment first as it is always a case with Hyundai Cars.

If naming a car has been a reason for effecting sales, then Duster would not have been bestseller for Renault.

If the product is good and complimented well by pricing and service, it has the potential to be a bestseller.

Last edited by utsav1303 : 3rd June 2015 at 18:14.
Old 3rd June 2015, 18:20   #347
Senior - BHPian

It's good if this CREATURE competes with Duster/SCross. But if it goes beyond that and targets XUV, it would not be good for the customer and company.

Were they trying to emulate the "Innova" naming?

Innovation => Innova
Creativity => Creativa => Creta?

Last edited by romeomidhun : 3rd June 2015 at 18:34.
Old 3rd June 2015, 19:31   #348
Distinguished - BHPian

Although the name sounds weird, I dont think it will affect the sales. Give a fully loaded car, good mileage, boot space and it's a success.

I'm eagerly waiting to see the car in real.
Old 3rd June 2015, 20:28   #349
BHPian

That is one unusual name I have come across in recent times for a car.
Later when Hyundai decides to bring a cross-over they can easily name it X-Creta ...
Old 3rd June 2015, 22:34   #350
BHPian

This thread made my day

Creta sounds like a Branded FMCG product. Creta soaps, Creta fairness creams etc..

The X-Creta comment is just hilarious.

On a more serious note, They should have come up with a more masculine or sporty name ala Ecosport, Scorpio.. not the mellow sounding Creta. A lot of car purchases in India are emotional, perception based rather than rational decisions and this is not bound to go well.
Old 4th June 2015, 05:37   #351
Team-BHP Support

What's in a name? I don't think the name will have a say in the car's market response. And I feel this is not as bad as some other names like a Duster, or a Superb.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2015, 06:24   #352
Senior - BHPian

If a Laura can sell in India then I font see an issue with Creta
Old 4th June 2015, 08:14   #353
BHPian

Name won't matter. Am pretty sure this car would be a huge hit if priced at par with the terrano. They should not get over ambitious with the pricing. The i20 is doing so well consistently selling close to 10k copies for over an year am pretty sure this car can settle at 6-7k numbers easily provided Hyundai can meet the demand. Ecosport will have to come up with new offers to get back its vfm quotient otherwise it has some tough days ahead.
Old 4th June 2015, 12:45   #354
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
If a Laura can sell in India then I font see an issue with Creta
No one said it won't sell. It is just that some people are not happy with the name. It would have been a lot better if this nice looking car had a nice name, too.
pgsagar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2015, 13:48   #355
BHPian

I don't think this name will kill the prospect of the car if the car is good in its own rights, i.e. well equipped and properly priced. In bengali language, Creta (read kreta) means customer. So what I think is Hyundai is trying to say that the customer will feel happy buying this car. Kreta will love to buy a Creta.
Old 4th June 2015, 14:31   #356
BHPian

If this is based on the i20 platform, I certainly have my doubts (not withstanding the big hit the current i20 is) on this platform. We had the last gen i20 at home & I must say the suspension and overall rigidity of the car was not up to Hyundai Standards. I am not sure if the same feedback has been shared by others on the old gen & the current one is too new in the market for us comment now. I only hope the current i20 platform is a new one and its suited for a compact SUV too. Fingers crossed.
Old 4th June 2015, 15:47   #357
BHPian

Please note, at the 32 second mark, the rear of the vehicle clearly says "4WD"; so a 4 wheel drive is there after all! All that remains to be seen is if/ when they get it to India.
Old 4th June 2015, 16:00   #358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by urajkumar View Post
If this is based on the i20 platform, I certainly have my doubts (not withstanding the big hit the current i20 is) on this platform. We had the last gen i20 at home & I must say the suspension and overall rigidity of the car was not up to Hyundai Standards. I am not sure if the same feedback has been shared by others on the old gen & the current one is too new in the market for us comment now. I only hope the current i20 platform is a new one and its suited for a compact SUV too. Fingers crossed.
OT: We have at least two confirmed owners on this forum who have clocked 20,000km on the elite i20. One is me and the other is Bubby. I believe neither of us found the suspension/ rigidity to be a problem both on the highways as well as the city. On the contrary, the car is a hoot to drive on the highways with a very planted feel. The steering is neutral and would offend no one at higher speeds (w.r.t the older version).

If the same dynamics are shared with this "Creta" which supposedly has a more powerful engine and better gear ratios, then it would be a good vehicle to watch out for.

P.S.: I too hate the name. Imagine a conversation with a non-auto enthusiast which goes like: "so last month I had a ride in my FIL's 'ex-Creta', which he has sold since then..."
vinjosep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2015, 16:43   #359
BHPian

Prospective buyers of duster/ecosport/terrano..Wait! creta is coming. With its massive success of elite i20, hyundai is heading the right direction with the expected launch by festive season. Hyundai would definitely price it above verna with a good margin to avoid cannibalization. Finally a superb competitor to not so VFM duster, people would definitely go for Creta given an option among the two mainly for its fluidic styling, hyundai badge, service network and Safety. Ford needs to work overtime to survive the heat.
Old 4th June 2015, 17:12   #360
Senior - BHPian

I do not like the name. But what is so important about the name? I do not care what others think about the name as long as Hyundai gives a good package in an attractive price. I will call her what I like . Insha Allah, hope this will be my next car.

I have owned only Hyundai cars - 4 years of Santro, followed by 8 years of Getz - still going strong.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks