Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2014, 21:40   #31
BHPian

Re: Delhi: Show PUC before filling Petrol / Diesel

My only concern is the return of PUC stickers. Instead of checking PUC certificate, a PUC sticker might be more efficient but I really don't want another sticker on the windshield. :(

Implementing this rule seems like a logistical nightmare for the pump-operators. Instead of launching such a plan in New Delhi, they should run a pilot in some city with lesser vehicular density, and then launch it in larger cities.
Old 22nd August 2014, 22:38   #32
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure why this is a new thing. No Puc no petrol was a slogan which i have heard a long long time ago.I had a carb 800 then and the guys at the attendants used to ask for the PUC sticker once a while though not always.I suppose it's new to Delhi.

Also the PUC guy would adjust the carb settings in my case when he would find the gas levels exceeded the allowed limits.This would often cause issue with my 800 with car stalling and i would have to run to my tune up guy to fix the issue.

I guess with time it was forgotten. I haven't been asked for a PUC certificate recently for quite a while during filling up in petrol pumps.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 22nd August 2014 at 22:40.
Old 22nd August 2014, 23:24   #33
BHPian

Why not make the PUC mandatory every 2 years like they do in the US. Modern cars don't need to be checked for pollution every few months, their performance can't deteriorate within such a short span of time.

In fact a better solution is to link the PUC certification requirement based on the registration date. Any vehicle registered in 1990's should have PUC every 6 months, in 2000's every year and 2010's every 2 years.
Old 22nd August 2014, 23:28   #34
BHPian

Wow! Amazed at most reactions here. Another one of those topics where we pounce of government/system and discount all personal responsibility. In a nation of 1.2 billion people (or even otherwise), how micro minutely do we want to the government/system to manage, literally, everything ?! In this case, we will happy pay a small bribe of 100 bucks to cut the line, get the fuel and be on our way, get home and rant against government for making toothless laws. Just get the damn PUC. If the gripe is that more important violations are being overlooked, I don't see how's that any different from 'constructive' opposition that we crib about in parliament (criticizing everything, basically). A small step, anyone ? Can we, as society, grow up and start taking responsibility for anything ?
Old 22nd August 2014, 23:57   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalstatistiks View Post
Wow! Amazed at most reactions here. Another one of those topics where we pounce of government/system and discount all personal responsibility. In a nation of 1.2 billion people (or even otherwise), how micro minutely do we want to the government/system to manage, literally, everything ?! In this case, we will happy pay a small bribe of 100 bucks to cut the line, get the fuel and be on our way, get home and rant against government for making toothless laws. Just get the damn PUC. If the gripe is that more important violations are being overlooked, I don't see how's that any different from 'constructive' opposition that we crib about in parliament (criticizing everything, basically). A small step, anyone ? Can we, as society, grow up and start taking responsibility for anything ?
Pray tell, where did you read, in these posts, where anyone has said they're not getting the "damn puc"?
Or maybe you cross posted to the wrong text box?
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2014, 09:56   #36
BHPian

Such a thoughtful proposal by govt which would be spoiled because of corrupt practices by some inside the system and then the public at large.

Come on guys... A clap cannot be made with a single hand. Instead of bashing Govt, and vaguely reasoning "I'm don't follow that because others don't follow that or my friend/neighbour is doing something that exploits the loophole in the system", let us be cooperative and try to put forth something constructive so that people in govt (if at all they read this) take cue from us. Nonetheless, you atleast be disciplined in following what is required of you, I'm sure atleast one will follow you if not many.

My views on how to make pollution control more effective:

1. Visibly polluting vehicles: Open a complaint system for Public where one can register a "pollution" complaint on a particular vehicle. On receipt of a complaint, send notification to the owner of the vehicle to appear for Pollution test (not check) at designated test centres (Pls dont start about bribing the officials in these test centres. Let us assume that these are corruption free). If the vehicle fails the test, owner may be given a deadline to corrective actions. Registration for the vehicle could be terminated, if deemed necessary. And the person who issued the fitness certificate (in case of FC, re-registrations, etc) for the vehicle should be asked for an explanation.

2. Pollution test centres: Establish designated pollution test centres in order to eliminate the corrupt practices by the roadside test centres.

3. Pollution checks: Maintain a centralised data bank w.r.to Pollution certificates whose details (readings, validity, etc) the traffic police can verify (using bar codes, etc) during regular traffic checks. By this way, one can get the veracity of the certificates. If a person fails to do pollution checks as per mandated intervals, he/she would be caught during next pollution check, and thus can be fined appropriately.

Of course, the above points can be discussed upon in order to fine tune them. Or any new ideas may also come from the vast member pool here. Someone, powerful and sensible enough, in govt may read this. I believe this is what the "inclusive governance" is about. I'm sure this is what is expected of us, the public, with a discipline to follow what has been established; not cribing about what is not in your control.
Thirugnnanam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2014, 13:47   #37
Senior - BHPian

This is just old wine in new bottle. First proposed many eons ago and the same is revisited every couple of years.

But thanks to this thread, it reminded me regarding the PUC for my own ride which upon checking turned out to have expired a month ago. Got it reissued on the way home yesterday. Guess this a draw back of not having to look at the paper quarterly.

Posted with a lot of 'gall' but then that is the way to go for a 'Gaul'.
Ketchup labels eh, I thought I was the only one
Quote:
Wow! Amazed at most reactions here. Another one of those topics where we pounce of government/system and discount all personal responsibility. ................. A small step, anyone ? Can we, as society, grow up and start taking responsibility for anything ?
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2014, 16:02   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Pray tell, where did you read, in these posts, where anyone has said they're not getting the "damn puc"?
Or maybe you cross posted to the wrong text box?
It was a generic reference to our first reaction trend to a new proposal, quickly identifying "how it will never work" and "how there are so many more important things" etc., instead of channeling the last ounce of positivity in us. Like I said, small step. I'll do my bit, and will do it happily instead of cribbing
Old 23rd August 2014, 17:13   #39
BHPian

Rather than the criticism, I would say it is a step in the correct direction.
However, I would not say that this solution can avert the problem of polluting vehicles.
The biggest problem with this is the high number of places where one can manage to get away with the requirements.
First, at the Pollution Check centre, one can simply ask the attendent to keep the sensor a little away from the silencer, for a meagre 100 bucks.

Then, at the petrol pump too, you can simply bribe the attendant and your job is done.

The fact is, the people who are doing these jobs have no power at all.

The law should be, if your car fails the PUC test, it should be seized at that moment.
Old 24th August 2014, 08:53   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It was a generic reference to our first reaction trend to a new proposal, quickly identifying "how it will never work" and "how there are so many more important things" etc., instead of channeling the last ounce of positivity in us. Like I said, small step. I'll do my bit, and will do it happily instead of cribbing
Not denying the truth in what you are saying but there is some justification for the general attitude. Most of us here keep our cars regularly serviced and don't hesitate to run to the ASS at the slightest sign of a problem. The probability that our vehicles are polluting outside the norms are hence negligible compared to those autos, tempos, buses and trucks belching out huge amounts of noxious fumes who are seemingly not targeted in the anti pollution effort. This is the anamoly that a lot of us here find ironic. The fact that the so-called certificate is issued by a petrolpump attendant not remotely interested in compliance but rather purely viewing it as an additional revenue source makes it doubly so!
Old 24th August 2014, 09:37   #41
Senior - BHPian

@noopster; You forgot the White marias (Govt Amby's) and Govt and Roadways buses, and of course Trucks. Many smoke like crazy. So no need to really check.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2014, 13:18   #42
BHPian

I got my PUC certificate yesterday - I paid 70 rupees and even without checking he gave the certificate. Sorry but even if my car smoked like hell I will still be able to get PUC. Sad state of affairs!!
Old 24th August 2014, 13:55   #43
BHPian

One probable Pollution control way could be to make a fool proof machine which takes picture of the number plate and registers the Pollutants values (without displaying). The data is sent to the Central Database and those who fail automatically they are told to get the vehicle in shape and pass the PUC test at the RTO which is again not man dependent. Offcourse this has to be made fool proof again with no manual interference with the machine.

Instead of all vehicles to have a PUC certificate randomly vehicle can be checked on the spot and thus pollution brought under control. This checks should be targetted more at Trucks,Buses, Rickshaw etc.

Whenever there is a human in the process I really doubt whether the system will work. We need to make the system more fool proof.

Last edited by amit_purohit20 : 24th August 2014 at 13:58.
Old 25th August 2014, 00:39   #44
BHPian

Now thats a good move. Score +1 for mother Nature.
But but but, score +1 for corruption as well. Now how is that?

Well this will give many corrupt fuel pump attendants a nice reason to earn a quick buck! Remember how vicious traffic cops give you the indirect hint to pop a quick 50 in their pocket? Well it wont be time before these attendants master this technique too.
"Das rupiya do, phir bina PUC dikhaye fuel bhar lo"

Besides, with the fast moving pace of the country, everyone wants to finish off quick and off they go. Who has the time to wait for a good 5-10 minutes to get PUC done to fill fuel. Its just sad to see these state of affairs rising.
Just hope that this wise move, doesn't turn out to be another method to earn some quick black cash.
Old 28th August 2014, 15:56   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
There is another regulation which says that one cannot buy petrol or diesel in cans. However, that is far from reality. All I can say, the more laws are written, the more criminals are produced!
There are a few (very few, thank God !) pumps in Calcutta who follow this. One was so strict that it did not give me petrol in an army jerrycan, which is probably the safest to carry fuel in, even more so than a regular car fuel tank !
What happens then if a car runs out of fuel, or people have to run portable gensets at home in times of power crisis ? Even big standby generators used by offices, commercial establishments or apartment complexes need diesel in drums from fuel outlets.

The "No PUC, no fuel" idea was mooted in West Bengal. The Petroleum Dealers' Association flatly told the government that they would not be able to do the extra work involved, and policemen or RTO staff would have to be posted at every pump ! That was the end of that !

From various posts it seems that in many places (including big cities like Mumbai and Pune) they are still issuing PUC certs manually, that is, on old analysers. The modern machines require the vehicle's number plate to be photographed and all readings are printed out automatically, and not filled in by hand. These are very difficult to tamper with or manipulate.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks