Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2015, 16:50   #451
BHPian

Re: 2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look

It is also advisable to set the A/C ventilator to suck outside air for a few mins with the windows rolled down to let the stale air out of the cabin.
Plastic and rubber parts are known to emit some harmful gases while the car is left standing in the sun.
A few mins later one can switch from air circulation within the cabin and can roll the windows up.
v_safari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 18:55   #452
BHPian

How safe is it for the paint to park a car in the rain? I have no other option than to park in the rain as I do not have a covered parking. I have a "Recaro" cover but it's not waterproof.
I ask because the last time I parked my ZMA in the rain for three straight days, the paint layer on the fiber parts developed some bobbling. I know the car paint is more advanced than that but still would like to know if anyone has any bad experiences with parking cars out in the rain.
Old 23rd June 2015, 19:08   #453
BHPian

2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look

You may coat the car ( wax) and leave it safely in the rain. Won't damage the paint. The cover will allow moisture to remain trapped for longer.

Last edited by torquecurve : 23rd June 2015 at 19:09.
torquecurve is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 19:30   #454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
You may coat the car ( wax) and leave it safely in the rain. Won't damage the paint. The cover will allow moisture to remain trapped for longer.
Thanks for that. It already has a 6 month old 3M paint protection coat; So I'd assume it's safe.
Old 23rd June 2015, 19:33   #455
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav11stars View Post
How safe is it for the paint to park a car in the rain? I have no other option than to park in the rain as I do not have a covered parking. I have a "Recaro" cover but it's not waterproof.
I ask because the last time I parked my ZMA in the rain for three straight days, the paint layer on the fiber parts developed some bobbling. I know the car paint is more advanced than that but still would like to know if anyone has any bad experiences with parking cars out in the rain.
Why not just buy a waterproof cover like Xtrabond or something? Will give you peace of mind and protect the car better.
Old 27th June 2015, 08:07   #456
BHPian

Visited Mahesh Fiat, Guwahati on 25th June with family to have a look at the Punto Evo. The car is fabulous. The seats seemed more comfortable than my Polo which I sold recently. I need the safety features however I came to know that they come only on the topmost Emotion variant with 1.4L petrol engine. The on-road price is too high for my liking . Secondly with so less vehicle sales every month there is a hidden feeling inside me that if Fiat India winds up in the near future then I will be in a very difficult situation. Forum Members kindly guide.
Old 27th June 2015, 08:13   #457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranjal1984 View Post
Secondly with so less vehicle sales every month there is a hidden feeling inside me that if Fiat India winds up in the near future then I will be in a very difficult situation. Forum Members kindly guide.
Hi,

1.4 petrol is expensive because, it doesn't enjoy duty benefits. More than Fiat winding up in near future, I think the bigger problem with buying a Fiat is that there are probably just one or two Fiat service center in the whole of North East.

I wouldn't recommend buying one.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2015, 08:19   #458
BHPian

Thanks a lot for your quick reply. I have also noticed that dealerships and service centres in Guwahati and entire North east keep on closing down and opening very frequently which can be attributed to poor sales. Secondly my friends are of the opinion that when I have already disposed my Polo due to high maintenance costs and only one service centre in entire North East , then why should I go for Fiat which has even lesser presence.
I have now decided not to burn my fingers any more and instead settle for something like Swift ZXI, Liva VX or Honda Jazz.
Old 27th June 2015, 23:06   #459
BHPian

Since the time EVO was launched, I have encountered it twice or maybe thrice on road in Hyderabad! In my office, I see a respectable number of GPs but not EVOs. In addition, the fact there's only one ownership thread on Team-BHP worries me a lot. I came across a sales report of May which didn't incliude Fiat on the report at all. Though I don't know what the actual sales are but all of this- it is a bad sign. Is it really that bad as it looks? With the rehash of interiors and - well- a facelift that is more in agreeable terms of the mass market, I had expected it fare well. That doesn't seem to be the case. The sales of EVO seems to have fared worse than GP.On one hand, the car pulls me towards it like a magnet. On the other, there is all this stuff against it. The negatives seems to always keep up with the positives with this brand.
Ryuu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2015, 11:52   #460
BHPian

Ryuu,

You have spoken my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuu View Post
Since the time EVO was launched, I have encountered it twice or maybe thrice on road in Hyderabad! In my office, I see a respectable number of GPs but not EVOs.
In fact I haven't seen a single one in my office. Now I never expect to see as many as Swifts or i20s, but at least as many as the Polo GT twins? And I do see some GT TSIs and GT TDIs around. I see BMWs and Mercs but not a single Evo.

Quote:
In addition, the fact there's only one ownership thread on Team-BHP worries me a lot.
This worries me even more than the office numbers (which I can take with a pinch of salt).

Quote:
I came across a sales report of May which didn't include Fiat on the report at all. Though I don't know what the actual sales are but all of this- it is a bad sign.
I know its an enthusiast's car but surely there hasn't been a better time for enthusiasts in India. More and more people are now in a position to afford the car they drool on.

We are social creatures and consciously or unconsciously seeing such things does have an impact.

Quote:
Is it really that bad as it looks? With the rehash of interiors and - well- a facelift that is more in agreeable terms of the mass market, I had expected it fare well. That doesn't seem to be the case. The sales of EVO seems to have fared worse than GP.
I like the new interiors and the car is no longer missing anything from the competition (which I care about).

Quote:
On one hand, the car pulls me towards it like a magnet. On the other, there is all this stuff against it. The negatives seems to always keep up with the positives with this brand.
Oh, I'm so fascinated by it and it draws me like a moth to a lamp. But the above reasons are giving me a nagging doubt at the back of the mind and creating hesitation.
If I were Fiat I'd take a few cars with normal registration and just get them driven around the happening places in the city. Have them parked in prominent places. Create a presence in the mind of customers. "Jo dikhta hai wahi bikta hai"

The dealership experience wasn't much helpful either. When I went for a test drive he got a GP.

Last edited by jetti : 28th June 2015 at 11:57.
jetti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2015, 14:37   #461
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetti View Post

In fact I haven't seen a single one in my office. Now I never expect to see as many as Swifts or i20s, but at least as many as the Polo GT twins? And I do see some GT TSIs and GT TDIs around. I see BMWs and Mercs but not a single Evo.
This is so true. I have seen more GT twins than Puntos.

Quote:
I like the new interiors and the car is no longer missing anything from the competition (which I care about).
True. The car is complete in every sense. There was never anything missing with the exteriors to begin with. The interiors on the EVO is at par with competitors. Better than Swift at least. An MJD that delivers economy which the mass market wants. Performance? I don't think they're so keen about it as long as it delivers the mileage. Yet, we don't get to see 'em. I think this is majorly caused by word of mouth. My friend who hasn't seen or driven an EVO was quick to come to a conclusion that Fiats don't last long and their service is terrible- which is partly true. It's unfortunate that a competent car is not accepted by the market.

Quote:
The dealership experience wasn't much helpful either. When I went for a test drive he got a GP.
Was it AV motors? When I requested for a TD from Butta, the sales guy hesitatingly agreed for a doorstep test drive which was surprising. When I called them to enquire about the ex showroom prices in Hyderabad, the dealer quoted 30k more than what is displayed on the site. I immediately called FIAT customer care and to my surprise was informed that the price hasn't changed. I got into an argument with the sales guy who said he'll contact his manager and get this clarified. The next day he comes with a sheet of paper of "updated" prices. Few days later, I see the site updated with the updated prices. To think even the Customer Care guy was not aware of the updated prices!

I was getting a discount of this extra 30K. First he said this was only for an exchange. When I said I can't avail the exchange, he was quick to reply that this can sorted even without exchange! I get a call one day informing that I can get Emotion MJD for 7.8 Lacs on road. He said it was one day only offer. I suspect it's a used test-drive car up for disposal!

The situation looks really grim for FIAT with Jazz launching. If I were to go for this car, I wouldn't settle anything less than 50k. Should get proper spanking new MJD Emotion around 7.6 ~ 7.7 on road. Otherwise nada!
Old 28th June 2015, 14:42   #462
BHPian

Gone are those days when Fiat cars were so common from Padmini to Uno, Palio and even Lineas to some extent. Fiat management are giving conflicting signals to the customers initially going alone then joint dealership with Tata and then again going alone. In Guwahati Fiat has changed the dealership 3rd time in 3 years. This itself creates a doubt in my mind whether Fiat is genuinely interested in this market and whether the management will continue to support tier 2 and tier 3 cities and towns. If the same dealership is persisted for a longer period of time at least the customers feel confident to buy a Fiat vehicle.
pranjal1984 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2015, 22:23   #463
BHPian

I don't know if I count as an enthusiast or not because I'm more into design and looks than the power and numbers. But yes, I can tell the differences when driving an automobile. That's how I test drove a Punto MJD after a petrol Dzire and ruled it out.
I wanted a car that's like my ZMA; The Evo nowhere comes near that, but then I've learnt more on this forum about engine behavior, turbo and a lot more stuff. I can say that I've made a good choice after close to 9 months of ownership.

I would rather comfort myself saying heads turn when I drive out and that's satisfying. Maybe it's rarer than Merc and BMWs .Colleagues/friends who bought Swifts and what-not check it out and admit that it's interiors, fit and finish are far better than theirs. I was worried about the service, but then I'm a happy customer till now. It takes me around in the city even in bumper-to-bumper traffic and I need not even mention the highway behavior.

Every car has it's shortcomings. The not-so-precise gears and the seating position fall in there. But once you've got the hold of things, it's a different experience to drive; so much that I just look for a chance to take her out. The only concern of polluting makes me go to work in the office transport

All in all, I'd just say I was an aam admi on the lookout for a car and fell for the Evo. So it's for everyone and it's a car like all others or maybe more than them.
rav11stars is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th June 2015, 22:56   #464
BHPian

Good that you love your Evo. At the end of the day all that matters is your satisfaction. If you are happy with your car then everything else is immaterial.
pranjal1984 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2015, 13:48   #465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuu View Post
Was it AV motors? When I requested for a TD from Butta, the sales guy hesitatingly agreed for a doorstep test drive which was surprising.
No this was Butta. I think I read somewhere on this forum that AV Motors is better. Butta's landline number had changed and not updated on the website. Other number went to someone who was on leave. Took a while to reach them (wanted to make sure they had the test-drive car before we went all the way to the showroom. Still he got a beat up GP with a slippery clutch for the TD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav11stars View Post
I don't know if I count as an enthusiast or not because I'm more into design and looks than the power and numbers. But yes, I can tell the differences when driving an automobile. That's how I test drove a Punto MJD after a petrol Dzire and ruled it out.
Punto absolutely rules the looks department with its Italian flair
(despite looks being subjective and blah blah)

Quote:
I would rather comfort myself saying heads turn when I drive out and that's satisfying. Maybe it's rarer than Merc and BMWs
It is indeed!

Quote:
All in all, I'd just say I was an aam admi on the lookout for a car and fell for the Evo. So it's for everyone and it's a car like all others or maybe more than them.
Those who actually own it say good things. I feel its a good package for everyone. Its got good looks and good road behaviour. Price is also competitive. That's why it makes me wonder why. Hope the management also wonders why. May the tribe increase!

Last edited by jetti : 29th June 2015 at 13:50.
jetti is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks