Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2014, 19:34   #256
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2014 Fiat Punto Evo : A Close Look

The only reason that I can think of for Fiat not offering the 1.4 TJet in the Punto is the upcoming launch of the Abarth Punto in 2015. That will most certainly get the T-Jet and if they offered it now on the regular Punto, there would not have been a major differentiator engine wise with the Abarth.
Old 6th August 2014, 19:38   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I don't get it. If a Punto 90HP doesn't have great performance, and you add a RD box or remap and make it quick and match the Polo 1.6 GT TDI. Imagine getting a Polo and adding a RD box or remap to the GT TDI. What happens to the Punto then? At the wheels, it is possible to get 140BHP from a Vento TDI. Imagine a Polo with 140 horses

Either compare stock to stock or compare remap to remap.

Don't see the logic in comparing a remap Punto and saying it comes close to stock Polo.
It is not a perfect comparison, but for a person who wants a Punto, but a bit put off due to the lack of power, this comparison makes sense. Here, we are trying to fix a "defect". Polo doesn't need a fix.

BTW, I do not think that a remapped Punto would be better to drive than the stock Polo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
The only reason that I can think of for Fiat not offering the 1.4 TJet in the Punto is the upcoming launch of the Abarth Punto in 2015. That will most certainly get the T-Jet and if they offered it now on the regular Punto, there would not have been a major differentiator engine wise with the Abarth.
I guess not. I think they don't want the sticker prices to be high earning it an expensive tag. Remember, Maruti never offered a ZDi for the original Swift. Perhaps, if the Punto start doing good numbers, they might launch a Punto T-jet. Hope.

Last edited by blacksport : 6th August 2014 at 19:42.
Old 6th August 2014, 20:30   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I don't get it.

Either compare stock to stock or compare remap to remap.

Don't see the logic in comparing a remap Punto and saying it comes close to stock Polo.

Vid,

I understand where you come from, I felt the same when I read the previous comments on this thread from people where they compare the Punto 90/1.3 with a 105/1.5 version of the Polo.

If you want to make a comparison of a Polo with a Punto it has to be with 90hp version of both the cars.

VW has done a very smart move by getting better engines across the lineup - the product feels more premium now and justifies the tag value it commands but we all were of the same view about the punny 3 pot oil burner Polo had earlier.

This move from VW has definitely made polo a better buy considering the bigger engine and more so it comes with a better drivability and power delivery.

Why I highlighted the RD example , is that when I wanted to buy a more powerful car I had only Punto and i20 to chose from and Punto won for obvious reasons.

However, the Punto chassis begs for more power and this is why the RD chip helped me out. The VW Vento owners then and the GT owners now are mostly happy with the power delivery and drivability of their cars and hence very few opt to chip their cars.

So my argument here is that, yes Fiat has still not waken up to the big engine competition among the hatches but those who love the feel of a Fiat, it's handling and ride quality and decide to buy it - shouldn't feel disheartened on power delivery. RD is a breather for you , it's reliable - haven't had an issue since last 65K I have done and keeps you very much in the competition. One more point is that Fiats are cheaper to maintain then the competing VWs.

Yes a RD on a GT or on a Vento is winner all the way when compared with anyone in the segments they compete , no brainer behind that - wish they had a better weighted steering.

Thanks.
scofield is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 23:31   #259
BHPian

While the pricing is excellent for Punto (1.3 MJD in particular), I have few points about the update :
1. 90 HP variant should come in all trims. While 75 bhp is well priced, it is seriously underpowered even for non enthusiasts (Personal opinion) and 90 HP goes directly into i20 CRDi and Polo TDi territory.
2. 1.2 Petrol is more like an academic effort of having eye catching base price for the car. Buying this seriously makes no sense.
3. 1.4 Petrol doesnt qualify for excise benefit. Nor does it make for a enthusiasts car or fuel efficient car. Just replace this variant with 1.4 Tjet ! Keep the price as competitive as possible and make it available in all trims. I am sure it will have greater demand than Linea Tjet. Reason ? It will be a distinguished product for a being a 110+ bhp turbo charged hot hatch. Linea isnt all that distinguished since some of its competitors are actually quite powerful and good handlers (Vento,Fiesta,City). Inclination for diesel increases as the segment rises.
4. Linea Classic (with discounts on offer) and Punto Evo are actually closely priced now with not so significant price difference. I hope Fiat kept this in mind

Last edited by Turbokick : 6th August 2014 at 23:32.
Old 6th August 2014, 23:34   #260
BHPian

As far as looks so I always loved the older punto. No offence to anyone, but the new evo with all its chrome garnish is bit hard to digest. And I cannot understand why did they change the headlights.
What I wanted in the upgrade from Fiat was a new motor, but they have again disappointed me here by keeping the same older engine.
I have driven the punto 90bhp and sorry but my swift dzire felt way more powerful. I think its the added weight of the punto which made a difference. But the steering feedback in the punto is simply amazing. So I expect the evo to also have an amazing steering feedback.
ortho_surgeon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 09:25   #261
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
2. 1.2 Petrol is more like an academic effort of having eye catching base price for the car. Buying this seriously makes no sense.
I own the 1.2 (2010 model) and it's perfect for city and not bad at all on highway (does 130 easily, ie well over speed limit on any highway in the country). Reasonable fuel economy and excellent pick-up and handling in city traffic. To me it's the 1.4 that makes no sense.
rsidd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 09:38   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
I remember from the photos from AutoExpo that Aventura had a 6-speed gearbox. I have a feeling that Fiat could come up with either a 90 hp diesel with 6 speed gearbox or 1.4 T-Jet with 6 speed gearbox.
Old 7th August 2014, 09:44   #263
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
I remember from the photos from AutoExpo that Aventura had a 6-speed gearbox. I have a feeling that Fiat could come up with either a 90 hp diesel with 6 speed gearbox or 1.4 T-Jet with 6 speed gearbox.
Avventura did not have any proper mechanicals at the time of the expo. Infact, same when it was displayed at various caffe's few weeks later.

I doubt they would bring the 6 speed box now. The same old 90hp with the same old box is what I expect- and yes- it will be sluggish. Only bonus here over the Punto might be the choice of a TJet variant.

By the way- Linea TJet doesn't suffer from the same issue with gear ratio, even though it's a 5 speed again, ratios are very different compared to the ones on the diesels.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Old 7th August 2014, 10:31   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

By the way- Linea TJet doesn't suffer from the same issue with gear ratio, even though it's a 5 speed again, ratios are very different compared to the ones on the diesels.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
I know this for a fact. I have been driving one since 8 months, and I agree with you that Linea T-Jet has a pretty well sorted set of gear ratios.
Old 7th August 2014, 11:26   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsidd View Post
I own the 1.2. To me it's the 1.4 that makes no sense.
I have driven the 1.2 extensively. As long as you don't experience another 1.2 engine from the segment, you will be fine. If you do, you will be very disappointed with the Fiat 1.2l engine. It is very low on power and the weight of a Punto does not help matters. Its the torque that manages to get the car moving. What I do like is the incredible levels of refinement, its very quiet and economy is good. Once up to speed, the engine is fine and the car can cruise all day at highway speeds without breaking a sweat. The problem is getting up to speed is super slow.

The 1.4l moves but you need to wring it. From an economy stand point, its hopeless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
I remember from the photos from AutoExpo that Aventura had a 6-speed gearbox.
I too recall this being a dummy. If it was not, then what you were looking at was an Aventura with the 1.6 diesel.
Old 7th August 2014, 11:30   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
The 1.4l moves but you need to wring it. From an economy stand point, its hopeless.
The average mixed running fuel economy of 1.2L petrol Punto is 12-13 kmpl, but that of 1.4L Punto is 10-11 kmpl. This is quite similar to 1.4L Petrol in i20.

For those who want petrol refinement, better pickup & smoothness but willing to overlook economy, 1.4L Punto is good.
Old 7th August 2014, 13:41   #267
Senior - BHPian

What on earth is a E-Immobilizer? Fiat India claim you can disable the engine in case of theft. How can you do this after the car is stolen? The same has not been mentioned for the Linea so is this something specific to the Punto.
Old 7th August 2014, 13:59   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
What on earth is a E-Immobilizer? Fiat India claim you can disable the engine in case of theft. How can you do this after the car is stolen? The same has not been mentioned for the Linea so is this something specific to the Punto.
In Europe some cars have a GSM enabled e-immobilizer which can be switched off via SMS if the vehicle is stolen. Some companies allow the owner to do this himself, for others it has to be done by the company once the owner contacts them.

Not sure what is in the Punto, but if this is it, will be great!
gsurya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 14:19   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
Not sure what is in the Punto, but if this is it, will be great!
I have never heard of any Punto, any Fiat rather, being stolen in India in the not so recent past.
Old 7th August 2014, 14:32   #270
BHPian

Punto Evo will be launched in Bangalore on 10th August, Vecto motors is taking bookings@25k..

Most Viewed