Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2015, 12:54   #226
Senior - BHPian

re: The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)

The Honda CR-V has a GC of 170mm. It is branded as an SUV. I understand that GC is one of the things Ecosport/Duster have an advantage over the upcoming SX4 S-Cross.

But GC is not all when one looks for a vehicle I suppose? Also the issue of 1.3L engine. Doesn't Duster come with a 85PS tune? Isn't then Maruti's engine more powerful than the Duster's 85PS model?

The car is lovely to look at and is futuristic. If it offers decent ride quality along with features, combined with Maruti A.S.S, it will sell well. Ecosport better watch out. It is insanely priced and will take a hit if Maruti manages to undercut it by a margin.
SchumiFan is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2015, 14:08   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
S Cross gets ready to be launched in Brazil. India launch next.
Seeing the S-Cross with 2-tone exterior first time. Seen that kind of exterior for Vitara. Both cars are spec'ed and priced similarly. But why Suzuki is doing even a similar visual treatment for S-Cross as well? Then what is the distinguishing factor among these?
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2015, 19:57   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki renames S Cross to Across for India. Spied before its speculated launch in May.

Quote:
Quote:
The front fascia revealing the HID projector headlamps, Daytime Running LED’s & two-slat chrome grille, spotted in with 16″ alloys, front & rear disc brakes, reverse parking sensors, scuff plates, black-cladding, steering-mounted controls, climate control, start/stop button and a chrome strip on tail lamps. There has not been much of a design change from the S-Cross other than a few minor tweaks, we will have to wait and see to get a glimpse of the final production version. The Across will be available in L, V, Z & Z+ variants and the Z+ will get the maximum beautification like the Projector lamps. The car will also be equipped with an AWD version from the top of the 2 trims.
It is confirmed that the Maruti Suzuki Across will use a 1.3 DDIS, generating 90PS and a more powerful 1.6 litre MJD engine delivering 122PS mated to a 6 speed gearbox.
With petrol pricing easing out Maruti seem to retain its Global configuration of 1.6 l powertrain.

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-marutisuzukiacrosscorner1024x582.jpg

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-marutisuzukiacrossfront1024x701.jpg

http://gaadiwaadi.com/maruti-suzuki-...me-of-s-cross/

Last edited by volkman10 : 12th April 2015 at 20:26.
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th April 2015, 21:28   #229
BHPian

The SX4 S-Cross has the looks and the engine of an SUV. Or rather an Urban SUV. Much will depend on the sheet metal quality of the car. Matching the sheet metal quality of a tougher SUV like the Scorpio may prove a very critical test for the S-Cross.
The SX4 S-cross will compete with the Ecosport but may not stand up against a full-blown SUV, albeit it has better engines and better looks.

Last edited by Ashok Naik : 12th April 2015 at 21:30. Reason: grammatical errors
Old 12th April 2015, 21:31   #230
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashok Naik View Post
The SX4 S-cross will compete with the Ecosport but may not stand up against a full-blown SUV, albeit it has better engines and better looks.
Maruti's Across will rival the Duster / Terrano and Hyundai's upcoming ix25. but the base variant could take away some prospective customers from EcoSport.
Old 12th April 2015, 21:57   #231
Senior - BHPian

Not sure how much of a Duster/ Terrano rival this can be. Looks similar in height to the so called crossovers being churned out by Fiat/Hyundai/Toyota. The car seems to be a hatch/estate version of the Ciaz rather than an all new design like the ik-2. 13 lakhs + for this, not sure how many takers would be there. AWD and the 1.6 diesel could be the differentiating factors. The IK-2 looks much much better though. Let's wait and see how this plays out.
Old 12th April 2015, 22:01   #232
Senior - BHPian

The next few months seem to be action packed as far as SUV's and cross overs are concerned. The Updated Safari Storme is expected later this month/ May. The Across is expected in May and the Hyundai IX 25 in August. It seems that I will finally be going in for a new set of wheels. I just hope that these products are priced sensibily.
Old 12th April 2015, 22:31   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Maruti Suzuki renames S Cross to Across for India. Spied before its speculated launch in May.

With petrol pricing easing out Maruti seem to retain its Global configuration of 1.6 l powertrain.

Attachment 1359864
The ABS sticker on the rear glass looks really out of place. I hope they move it to the boot lid for production spec.
Old 13th April 2015, 02:02   #234
BHPian

How much I wish, they could have gotten New Vitara instead of this cross, more so when they are priced almost same in UK.

That would have been a proper alternate to Terrano and IX25.

This one does not have a shape to be successful in our market.

Hope I will be proven wrong.

Last edited by shashant : 13th April 2015 at 02:20. Reason: more text
shashant is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2015, 03:49   #235
Senior - BHPian

Good news indeed! If only I was looking for a crossover, I would book one in a blink! BTW, according to the report are we getting a simultaneous launch of 1.6 MJD along with the 1.3? Given the impressive feature list, if they do launch the 1.6 MJD, it's time to wave good bye to the current crop of crossovers.
Old 13th April 2015, 07:10   #236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
But GC is not all when one looks for a vehicle I suppose? Also the issue of 1.3L engine. Doesn't Duster come with a 85PS tune? Isn't then Maruti's engine more powerful than the Duster's 85PS model?
Well said!

The 2014 Ford Fiesta has a GC of 156 mm and the body is very low slung. Yeah, paltry when you consider the latest fad of keeping the body shell as high as possible off the ground irrespective of whether its a hatchback, sedan or crossover. But I can assure you that in the 2 months that we have been in the car and over the 4000 KM done, it hasn't touched anywhere. And its not like the car has only been on road, we have covered some bad bits of road, climbed some ruts, crawled in first gear with the car loaded with people and luggage and still no, the underbody doesn't touch anywhere.

So, GC is really a function of the how the low lying parts are arranged in the underbody and the travel of suspension. 165 mm may look bad on paper. But for all you know, it may be more than enough.

And we said the same on the engine power about the Ciaz and no one has found it under powered. Yeah, more power is always welcome, but lets see how the A Cross drives, before jumping out with knives. And good that we get a bigger engine option as well. But I have a feeling the 1.6 Diesel may not be available initially. Let's wait and watch.
deetjohn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th April 2015, 07:34   #237
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
But I can assure you that in the 2 months that we have been in the car and over the 4000 KM done, it hasn't touched anywhere. And its not like the car has only been on road, we have covered some bad bits of road, climbed some ruts, crawled in first gear with the car loaded with people and luggage and still no, the underbody doesn't touch anywhere.
The problem is not bad roads alone. If you see humps in Bangalore, you will realize what I mean. Many of them are so unscientifically designed that you just cant do anything about it.

Also a place where you find a road, would have been completely dug-up overnight. Its against such problems, one wants to protect oneself.

Of course I am not saying low GC cant survive. Its just the peace mind, assuming you can tackle anything.

Quote:
And we said the same on the engine power about the Ciaz and no one has found it under powered. Yeah, more power is always welcome, but lets see how the A Cross drives, before jumping out with knives. And good that we get a bigger engine option as well. But I have a feeling the 1.6 Diesel may not be available initially. Let's wait and watch.
Yes power is never the question, unless one is trying to go flat out on the highways. I am pretty satisfied with the 84 odd bhp, that I have been putting to good use.
Old 13th April 2015, 20:54   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashant View Post
How much I wish, they could have gotten New Vitara instead of this cross, more so when they are priced almost same in UK.

That would have been a proper alternate to Terrano and IX25.

This one does not have a shape to be successful in our market.

Hope I will be proven wrong.
Completely agree. Indians look for stylish and macho cars. Swift, i20, duster, xuv, fortuner etc are examples.

Scross doesn't tick this, where as new Vitara very much does, imo.

Im4, yba and vitara... What a macho line-up it could have been for Maruti!
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2015, 11:51   #239
BHPian

Good to see Maruti jumping into this segment. More choices for the consumer is always welcome! People who want a pseudo-SUV and aren't entirely sure about Renault or Ford (say, first time buyers?) would be delighted. A friendly neighborhood Maruti on steroids.

Would be very interesting to see how this one is priced. Wonder where it fits in among Swift-Ertiga-Ciaz. My best guess - on par with the Ertiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
The ABS sticker on the rear glass looks really out of place. I hope they move it to the boot lid for production spec.
I highly doubt that'd happen. The Ertiga has a similar placement.

Cheers!
Cartman
Old 19th April 2015, 15:26   #240
Senior - BHPian

Good to see the SUV cross over segment heating up.

Hope Maruti will come up with a vehicle with SUV characteristics (robust, good build quality) than the usual route of less weight and high fuel efficiency.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks