Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2015, 11:51   #616
Team-BHP Support

re: The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)

On paper the S-cross looks to be a brilliant package for the urban commuters who don't need AWD.

1.6L DDiS with 118BHP, 320Nm torque then the features. A Maruti with all round disc brakes, HID projector lights, auto headlamps, auto wipers, cruise control, climate control, leather seats, auto dimming mirror, parking sensors with camera, telescopic steering, start/stop button with keyless entry, soft touch plastics.

Except for the looks, this car is very very well loaded for a Maruti Suzuki. Maruti is never at the top when it comes to features but the S-cross doesn't have a single feature missing that I can think of.

This is surely the effect of the Ecosport and the Hyundai Elite i20 and upcoming Creta.

The looks is the only thing that will pose a problem. It doesn't look anything like a SUV or crossover. It looks like a hatch crossover like i20 Active more than a SUV. Zero presence and a little boring.
Vid6639 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2015, 11:54   #617
BHPian

The 1.6 DDiS specs and variants look very enticing indeed.

Perhaps, with a premium of 1-1.25 lakhs over the sibling, 1.6 would definitely set the numbers rolling. What remains to be seen is how enticing the pricing would be vis-a-vis the Creta.

With an OTR of 13 lakhs for the 1.6 Zeta, you have my continued loyalty Maruti! Or, am I asking for too much
Old 2nd July 2015, 11:57   #618
BHPian

S Cross Variant wise comparison for the benefit of readers.

There are differences even among same variant between DDiS 200 vs DDis 320.

a. Delta (DDiS 200 vs DDiS 320)

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-200-vs-320-delta.jpg

b. Zeta (DDiS 200 vs DDiS 320)

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-200-vs-320-b-zeta.jpg

There are no differences in the top model Alpha between DDiS 200 vs DDiS 320. DDiS 200 lower variants are slightly loaded in comparison with their 320 counterparts. Probably to keep price in check for the 320 versions.

c. DDiS 200 - Sigma vs Sigma (O) (Only Safety Option Pack)

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-200-sigma-vs-sigmao.jpg

d. DDiS 200 - Sigma (O) vs Delta

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-200-b-sigmao-vs-delta.jpg

e. DDiS 200 - Delta vs Zeta

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-200-c-delta-vs-zeta.jpg

f. DDiS 200 - Zeta vs Alpha

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-200-d-zeta-vs-alpha.jpg

g. DDiS 320 - Delta vs Zeta

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-320-delta-vs-zeta.jpg

h. DDiS 320 - Zeta vs Alpha

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-320-b-zeta-vs-alpha.jpg

I'm attaching the excel version too for ease of comparing once prices are launched.

My take on the car. I'm waiting for S Cross & ix25 (oops Creta) for the last 1 year and am eagerly waiting for July end to decide which one to go with. If both of them disappoint on pricing strategy, I'll have to go back to Duster.

180 mm Ground Clearance is low to what I had preferred. I'll wait for team bhp review particularly about the build quality to decide further.
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx S Cross Variants.xlsx (23.2 KB, 497 views)
mrbaddy is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2015, 11:57   #619
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The looks is the only thing that will pose a problem. It doesn't look anything like a SUV or crossover. It looks like a hatch crossover like i20 Active more than a SUV. Zero presence and a little boring.
I would have liked it better without cladding, positioned as a proper premium hatchback. As a crossover, it has zero appeal to me, looks like an afterthought just like i20 Active.
.anshuman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2015, 12:00   #620
BHPian

The car is too small to even be called as a crossover, it looks like a grown up version of an hatchback.

If only Maruti would have provided this model with AWD and the new Dual clutch Auto then this model would have clearly stood out in the over-crowded <10L SUV market.
Old 2nd July 2015, 12:00   #621
Distinguished - BHPian

Here are excerpts from the First drive from Overdrive - S Cross 1.6.

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-img20150702wa0015.jpg

Quote:
The all-new 1.6 and were quite impressed with the much-awaited engine. It’s a Fiat sourced motor too and is imported and not locally produced. This engine is mated to a 6-speed manual transmission that offers smooth and precise gearshifts.

The engine character is very similar to the 1.3-diesel but it’s a lot more refined and the increased torque is very obvious.

On the road, engine noise is quite audible at idle but as speeds ride up, the note becomes calmer. There is turbo lag and it is more evident at higher gears at slower speeds.
It too features a VGT but the surge after 2000rpm is quite strong and should have been linear instead. The trick is to shift in time and try to keep it as much as you can in the narrow powerband, but this means one does shift often.
If you are the types who don’t like shifting gears too often, then the only option is to wait for the turbo to kick in. On an open highway however where one doesn’t need to shift gears often due to traffic, cruising at triple digit speeds is effortless.
In 6th gear, the S-Cross 1.6 cruises at 120kmph with the tacho needle only hovering slightly above 2000rpm. It is a capable touring machine. The DDiS 320 is a very impressive motor and we want to see in the Ciaz too.
Quote:
Power is sent to the front wheels instead and the chassis feels well balanced. But then the steering isn’t as direct and could do with more feedback. There is slight body roll too. It still is fun to drive and an involving experience despite the lack of independent rear suspension (instead gets a regular torsion-beam unit). The JK Tyre Elanzo-NXT rubber is more of an on and off-road tyre. The contact section is more square than circular while the tyre blocks and grooves are quite large and deep. The profile is higher than normal too. On a gravel road, the tyre may be of good use. However on the curvy and smooth tarmac (where majority of S-Cross drivers will mostly drive), grip isn’t impressive and it squeals easily. Ride quality is quite impressive though. We drove over series of speed breakers, rumblers and few broken surfaces and the car glided through.
http://overdrive.in/reviews/maruti-s...s-first-drive/

Last edited by volkman10 : 2nd July 2015 at 12:16.
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2015, 12:03   #622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
5 variants for 1.6 DDIS!! Wow. I was expecting only on the top variant.
But why no Petrol?

ABS and driver airbags on all variants!!
There are only 3 variants for the 1.6 DDIS (320 DDis) and 5 are for the 200 DDIS.
Old 2nd July 2015, 12:05   #623
BANNED

I like the car overall and I can see familiar parts bin from Swift. To be frank, I am eagerly waiting for two things.

1) My Swift ZDi to complete 1,00,000 kms so that I can sell it off.

2) For the full blown Team-BHP review so that I can go ahead with the purchase of the 1.6L MJD engine.

Can't wait to lay hands on this car. In dilemma between Blue or Brown colour. I may not use the AWD ask the time but would want it in my next car.

Thank you .anshuman, volkman10 and RavenAvi for sharing the details.

Last edited by a4anurag : 2nd July 2015 at 12:12.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2015, 12:13   #624
Senior - BHPian

Pricing will be key. Irrespective of how well it drives, if the 1.6 DDIS and the Creta 1.6 are priced within 50K of each other, then the S-cross will be dead on arrival. The Hyundai brand today is as well accepted and respected as Maruti, so the one USP of Maruti is no longer applicable. they will HAVE to play the price card with this one.
Old 2nd July 2015, 12:13   #625
Senior - BHPian

To me the 1.6 Mjd is what is appealing to me.Looks I guess i can compromise on that. As Anurag said my buying decision all banks on the indebt Tbhp review and the TD. If it ticks all boxes the s cross would be my upgrade for my swift Di.
Old 2nd July 2015, 12:20   #626
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I like the car overall and I can familiar parts bin from Swift. To be frank, I am eagerly waiting for two things.
1) My Swift ZDi to complete 1,00,000 kms so that I can sell it.
You can sell it before in completes 1L KM too. :P
On a serious note, selling before it touches the 1L mark should be better as for the buyer, it is 1L KM too much run vehicle -- Just my thought.

Quote:
2) For the full blown Team-BHP review so that I can go ahead with the purchase of the 1.6L MJD engine.
I agree, for both, waiting for the tbhp review and to go only for the 1.6L MJD. If I consider this car, it would only for the 1.6L beast, quality seems better than Duster for sure but then you get C2 sedans for the same price, this engine is the USP of this car for me.

Quote:
Can't wait to lay hands on this car. In dilemma between Blue colour or Brown colour.
Blue! Blue! Please blue! Even white looks good, but not the brown.

Quote:
I may not use the AWD ask the time but would want it in my next car.
Why to even think about AWD if you won't need it. The torque from the 1.6 should be more than enough for all the vary situations you would be in while driving this car.
itsashishsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2015, 12:33   #627
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visran View Post
The car is too small to even be called as a crossover, it looks like a grown up version of an hatchback.
Could you specify the norm for a Crossover.

To me, a crossover, is a vehicle built on a car platform and combining some features of an SUV in variable degrees, with added features from a passenger vehicle.

Isn't S- Cross fitting the definition?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Can't wait to lay hands on this car. In dilemma between Blue or Brown colour. I may not use the AWD ask the time but would want it in my next car.
IMO. Urban blue is the color to go, however attaching S Cross pic in brown as preview for you!

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-img20150702wa0002.jpg

pic- Overdrive

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 2nd July 2015 at 13:06. Reason: merging posts
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2015, 12:51   #628
Senior - BHPian

This Misutonida-modified black color suits SCross very well. Will we get this color as well?
Attached Thumbnails
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-tot49259.jpg  

romeomidhun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2015, 13:17   #629
BHPian

The 1.6 L engine is a pleasant surprise! But still can't get over the looks - may be it looks different in flesh.

The Suzuki fan in me, having seen reviews in Europe is eagerly waiting (and hoping) that the car looks good in flesh.

All things aside, 320 Nm torque in a FWD car - is it a recipe for torque steer? Unless Suzuki has given it some trick differential.

Looks like Duster / Terrano twins finally have some competition from Creta / S Cross finally! Let the pricing wars begin
Old 2nd July 2015, 13:23   #630
BHPian

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-rev...ve-392011.aspx
A very comprehensive review by autocar... though i think one thing is common in reviews is that everybody feels it more like a hatch back then an SUV.
Probably Maruti will need very smart advertising to position it like a SUV in minds of prospective buyers.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks