Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2015, 21:48   #511
BANNED

re: The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)

Quote:
Originally Posted by desdemona View Post
If GTO's insider news of 'no detuning to the 118hp and 320 Nm' is true that means this is the mjd2 engine, and not the mjd1 (1.3) mill that is currently the 'national engine etc'.

This will be a knockout engine on the S Cross, if the car/CUV has similar ride+handling etc as the well-regarded European version. At say Rs 12-13 lakhs even, would seem to have huge cross-segment-cross-shopping potential. Even the Honda City et al sedan better-sellers could be somewhat eclipsed by this car, being a Maruti Suzuki? Is that why it's been styled a bit 'softly' rather than in a so-called 'butch' manner like the Duster?
If Maruti Suzuki prices this car right and DOES NOT detune the engine and keep it decently loaded from the mid-variants then expect this car to sell well. May not be the likes of 10K but 6-7K units a month.

Another National Engine in the making!
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 09:47   #512
BHPian

It seems Suzuki/Maruti has registered http://s-cross.in/ and it says Coming Soon. They are targeting it as Premium Crossover. But sad to hear rumors that safety features are being knocked off to reduce the price (ESP/More than 2 airbags etc). I'm still hopeful that they won't skimp off safety features.
kozhissery is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 12:36   #513
BHPian

"The spacious and luxurious car is powered with an unbeatable engine"

That unbeatable engine definitely has to be the untouched 1.6 Fiat engine pumping out 320 Nm torque ! I am really excited and in fact feeling restless awaiting it's launch. I really feel the S cross will give the Creta a tough fight. Hyundai kinda fails when it comes to handling and car dynamics, their overtly light steering can be expected in Creta as well.

I would get the S cross, move to 215 section tyres and better looking alloys and you are set
Aston Singh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 13:56   #514
BHPian

S-Cross website goes live. Although no information is provided, the website is seeking contact details to keep the interested persons notified about updates.

http://s-cross.in/

Rushlane reports that S-Cross will be available at all dealerships (not just Nexa) and customers who prefer premium experience can visit Nexa dealerships.

Quote:
The website (S-cross.in) describes S-Cross as a premium crossover with luxurious and spacious interior. Interestingly, the company says the car is powered by ‘an’ unbeatable engine suggesting that the rumored 1.3-litre DDiS base variant may not be offered.

S-Cross debuts the Fiat-sourced 1.6-litre DDiS diesel engine in India. The oil burner is capable of a healthy 120 PS and 320 Nm of torque when mated to a 6-speed manual gearbox. While international variants of SX4 S-Cross are offered with optional AllGrip all-wheel drive system, India-spec car is expected to eschew this feature in a bid to keep the costs under check.

With competition coming from Renault Duster, Nissan Terrano and upcoming Hyundai Creta, S-Cross will rely on its lengthy features list to make headway. The 5-seat crossover gets dual zone automatic climate control (first-in-class), SmartPlay touchscreen infotainment system, ABS with EBD, multiple airbags, multifunction steering wheel, and so on.
Source: http://www.rushlane.com/maruti-s-cro...-12154941.html
Old 23rd June 2015, 15:16   #515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaddy View Post
...the company says the car is powered by ‘an’ unbeatable engine suggesting that the rumored 1.3-litre DDiS base variant may not be offered
In that case, the base variant of the 1.6L DDiS may be priced around 9L, which will make the customers think that S-Cross is a costly affair. But since Maruti is concentrating on space, luxury features and engine in the official S-Cross site, their aim is somewhat in the similar lines, I guess.

They may be aiming that the upcoming sub-4m Vitara Brezza can be equipped with the 1.3L 90BHp Diesel engine, and can be priced around 7L for the base Diesel variant, giving enough gap for it to play.
Old 23rd June 2015, 15:19   #516
Senior - BHPian

Had a chat with my local dealer, and he appeared pretty confident about the availability of the S-Cross on standard Maruti dealerships. So looks like the Nexa dealerships hype is just optional and the customers might be given a liberty to decide what sort of a dealership they want to make their purchase from.
Old 23rd June 2015, 15:23   #517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
In that case, the base variant of the 1.6L DDiS may be priced around 9L, which will make the customers think that S-Cross is a costly affair. But since Maruti is concentrating on space, luxury features and engine in the official S-Cross site, their aim is somewhat in the similar lines, I guess.

They may be aiming that the upcoming sub-4m Vitara Brezza can be equipped with the 1.3L 90BHp Diesel engine, and can be priced around 7L for the base Diesel variant, giving enough gap for it to play.
Pretty sure that the S-Cross will come with a 1.3L engine as well. The # of 1.6L engines imported is less than 3K till now. Simply not enough to sell the car in large numbers.

Maruti is perhaps expecting the lower variants to sell a lot more than the top variant with 1.6L engines.

That said, 3K is still a small number and it could mean they are looking at a local production soon or the price of that variant might be high forcing Maruti to concentrate less on it.

I am hoping it is the former. Strangely there has been no talk about production of the 1.6 in India or have I missed any?
SchumiFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 15:58   #518
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Strangely there has been no talk about production of the 1.6 in India or have I missed any?
Read somewhere that the 1.6D engine will be supplied wholly by FIAT from abroad. It is meant to be a stop-gap affair for a couple of years until Suzuki brings out its own 1.5D.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 17:14   #519
BHPian

Most likely, based on the confirmed reports by FCA to Autocar/Hormardz, a 1.5 mjd will start getting locally made at the Tata-FCA JV plant for use on at least one all-new Tata Suv and one all-new small Jeep (Renegade?). At least.

I figure they'll supply M Suzuki too? For use on the S Cross and on one or two of their other new models?

The story about Suzuki having their 1.5 litre diesel under serious and adequate development is, imo, 'apochryphal' ;-)

The amt-story is similar. Imports for now, localized manufacture and supply to both Maruti and Tata starting soon (out of a JV-plant between fca's Magneti Marelli and Maruti in manesar, i think)

Does anyone think the amt on the S Cross, perhaps later, would also be a trumpcard for Maruti? Or is the car too up-the-scale for the amt?
Old 23rd June 2015, 17:33   #520
Distinguished - BHPian

Exclusive images of the Indian-specced Suzuki S-Cross, courtesy Motor Trend:

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-125374727.jpg

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-125374724.jpg

The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38)-125374730.jpg

Quote:
As our spy shots reveal the S-Cross has crossover like dimensions with high ground clearance and all around black cladding which brings the SUV character. The all around black cladding with faux-silver skid plates look more prominent than the international version.

Apart from this, the new pattern for its 16-inch alloy wheels and twin chrome slats in the front grille instead of the black grille in the international version are some of the exterior styling elements which distinguishes our Indian version. The SUV also gets projector headlamps with day time running LED lights and silver finished roof rails.

Inside, Maruti will offer this SUV with all black interiors with usage of silver inserts which could be very similar to what we have seen in the other Maruti cars. The list of features will include auto folding mirrors, touchscreen display, automatic climate control, cruise control, ABS with EBD, Brake Assist and dual front airbags.

This five-seater SUV is confirmed to be launched with the 118bhp, 1.6L Fiat sourced Mutijet engine which will be mated with a six-speed manual gearbox. It will not come with the All grip 4WD system offered in other markets.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 23rd June 2015 at 17:35.
RavenAvi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 17:36   #521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Exclusive images of the Indian-specced Suzuki S-Cross, courtesy Motor Trend
So it has the Maruti Suzuki badge on it!
romeomidhun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 17:56   #522
Senior - BHPian

The Maruti S-Cross

What if Maruti were to launch the car in 2 diesel engine variants. The 1.3 Mjd and the 1.6 Mjd?They could have the LDI,VDI and the ZDI for both the variants. Add or remove a few bells and whistles here and there and the could cover the entire 7 to 14 lakhs price points. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 23rd June 2015 at 18:05.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 18:19   #523
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
So it has the Maruti Suzuki badge on it!
No projectors even on Z+ variant

I am sure something is wrong somewhere. It might be a possibility that this particular white S cross was made for testing and the picture is quite old, just posted recently. Because it doesn't make sense to cover up the badges on an Assembly line.
Also as per the first look at IIFA awards, the S cross was supposed to have just S cross logo, Suzuki badge, and 1.6L logos. That was a preview event just for the Indian Market. So it doesn't make sense to change the logos afterwards. So in all probability, this looks like an old pic to me which might have surfaced now.

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 23rd June 2015 at 18:25.
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 18:29   #524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
No projectors even on Z+ variant

I am sure something is wrong somewhere. It might be a possibility that this particular white S cross was made for testing and the picture is quite old, just posted recently. Because it doesn't make sense to cover up the badges on an Assembly line.
Also as per the first look at IIFA awards, the S cross was supposed to have just S cross logo, Suzuki badge, and 1.6L logos. That was a preview event just for the Indian Market. So it doesn't make sense to change the logos afterwards. So in all probability, this looks like an old pic to me which might have surfaced now.

Regards,
Shashi

I have a feeling this could be the 1.3L MJD variant. Maybe to differentiate this model against the bigger 1.6L MJD variant, MSIL must have skipped out on DRL's and Projectors amongst other features even in the top spec Z+ trim.

Cheers
prince85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 18:33   #525
Senior - BHPian

The Maruti S-Cross

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Exclusive images of the Indian-specced Suzuki S-Cross, courtesy Motor Trend:

So this is the top of the line trim.
Can read a ZXi+. The Engine capacity or the name badge has been plastered.
The Ac vent has a nice shape to it and is finished in chrome/brushed aluminium.
The alloys look 16inch?195 profile tyres?
Has a reverse camera.
What's the black little dot on the boot lid?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks